Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want to try on clothes in shops

its best to just go right in there and shop. like others said your money is just as good as theirs. Before i had been in the same situation very shy and afraid to ask a sales clerk for help and when I did I usually said the clothes were for my GF and gave a simple description of myself and a fake breast size of course. then I finally got the courage to just ask the clerk for myself. I went into Fredericks of Hollywood to buy either a corset or a shaper and a little negligee. I walked up to the clerk and just as easily told her I am looking for these particular items in my size and also told her I am not sure what would best fit me. she found them in my size and also allowed me to try them on first before I bought them. she even suggested a few different outfits that might make me look glamourous lol it was a very pleasurable experience.

looking for friends in CO LaceyDee's Avatar
    I have shopped for fem jeans and tried them on before I bought them at several stores. I did carry them back to the men's side of the store though. I understand a man in the woman's changing room might be a problem.

Woman of the Revolution Bridget's Avatar
    You could just go to the men's department. Or you could go dressed to the store and use the changing room. If they can't tell, then it's not a problem.

Most people here suggest that it's acceptable to use the ladies changing rooms when dressed femme.

At the mo, my dressing habits are only at undies and jeans level.

I am not going to go shopping in femme mode, until I have had some practice at home.

My intention is to go as a guy, trying on and buying skirts. Most people here suggest that it would be best to take the clothing to the men's side - I have no problem with that. (That's if no one laughs at me, or gives strange looks).

I don't find it easy (although I have bought panties many times over the last 10 years or so with no embarrassment - the difference is that I never try them on in store!).

The summer has arrived now. It is very warm. I see gg's wear short skirts and skimpy tops. I do admire the views! But I sometimes get jealous, and think why can't I look like some of those gorgeous women.

Brave or unconscious...

I think I must have been quite unconscious of the risks I was taking... I went shopping in Manhattan last year dressed in DRAB. After several hours of looking around I finaly found a few skirts that I liked, but wasn't sure that they would fit my shape and that the size would be right. That's the problem with shopping in an other country than yours... Sizes don't correspond...

So I took a few skirts with me and went straigth to the "try on cabins". No one stopped me. The access to the cabins was "unisex" that may explain why...

There was a mirror in the cabin. I was free to try each skirt and make sure the shape was suiting my body features and the size was right. Thats the yellow skirt I wear on my pictures in the "Picture Gallery section":

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=28488

I dressed back in DRAB and went to the cashier with the skirt I liked. I could see no strange looks. I felt very safe all the time. Was I crazy to do such a thing?

Eugenie
    Last edited by Eugenie; 06-08-2006 at 12:26 PM.

Silver Member

brave or unconcious

No dear, you are not crazy.
    That's just the way it's done. Pick out the clothes, try them on, buy what you want. It's a really simple process and we really don't have to make such a big deal of it. Going in drab can make you feel so much more comfortable and completely eliminate the worry of someone getting freaked about "that guy in a dress" in the women's dept.

Lovies,
    Stephenie

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma England
    I have a strong urge to go to a store and try on some skirts.
    Try Debenhams in Exeter Emma. I was told a few years ago they have a policy that if you turn up en-femme, they will allo you to use the female changing rooms. I phoned the Exeter store to confirm this and was told I could use the female changing rooms unless another customer objects and then they will find somewhere else (not the male changing rooms).

I use the female changing rooms all the time now, but I'm on a different planet, with my op only 17 days away (I really can't wait).

Rach
    xxx

Lil Ones "Baby" Connieminiskirts's Avatar

Just do it!

I have been in several clothing stores, and tried on skirts etc. Not the big department stores, But stores like 'Gap', 'Express'. 'Wet Seal', etc. In fact the lst time Lil One and I went to the mall, last week actually, I was asked by the sales girl in Express if I wanted to try on the skirt! I knew it would fit so I didnt, should have tried the top on tho. I figure most the young ladies in these stores really dont care, and alot of them seem to think its "kinda cute" that a man is trying on skirts and dresses. But now that I am with Lil One, and I want to try something on, we just go into the fitting room together, never been a big deal, But I have not yet tried at a big dept store. They seem to be abit stuffy about such things. Shoot some of the "older" women who work in them get upset when I am sitting and waiting for my wife to try on stuff!! Like I am just a "peeping tom" or something!!!! Or would that be "peeping connie"?? LOL
    "Be WHO and WHAT you are! Don't ever let anyone tell you what to be! Be yourself and be happy"!

a quote from my father, the only GOOD thing he ever really did for me!