Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Stand up, Be proud! Fight for your rights, take a stand.

I'm Doin' It Now

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaMoonlit
    It's way past time the CD community stood up and took responsibility for it's own acceptance. Not just piddly little university outreach here and there I'm talking major shit here.

I'm talking not hiding in the closets any more, whether personal ones, or larger ones.

I'm talking about not hiding from the SO's. It's frickin 2006 people and we've known for decades that hding is bad, but some of us still keep on doing it.

I'm talking about having enough pride to buy your makeup in the drugstores/chemist/M&S/Wal-Mart/Target/department stores like anyone else rather than paying a premium for overpriced stuff from some CD boutique. Same goes for clothing.

I'm talking about not making excuses while shopping or when someone asks why you shave your legs. No "it's for the wifey" no fake little shopping lists, no "I'm a bike rider"

I'm talking about being out in broad daylight rather than walking to the mailbox at midnight or just driving en femme without actually getting out of the car.

I'm talking about standing up against bigotry and standing up for yourself. If a group you're in is anti-TG, then for goddess sake quit and tell them why. If someone says a nasty slur, call them on it. If something gets printed in your local paper, write a rebuttal.

No ones going to hand you acceptance on a silver platter, you have to fight for it, work for it.

"But where I live (Texas/Arkansas/Rural Scotland) is full of rednecks and hooligans, Veronica"

Pooh on that, do something to change it. Stand together with likeminded people against them. Form alliances, speak out, embarass them, do whatever it takes to let them know that you will not tolerate bigotry. And no they won't beat you with a stick, that's hyperbole.

If there's not a group near you, form one. I'm trying to do that myself, it's hard, yes, but we have to do it.

And finally if someone asks you if you're a CD/TG, answer them simply and truthfully.

Veronica
    Rondelle (Ron) Rogers Jr.
    Yep, that's my name, it's pronounced Ron-duhl not Ron-dell.

[SIZE="3"]Most everything you have mentioned I am doing at the present time. Going out out dressed in public was the greatest thing for me. I have a number of events that I will be attending dressed. One of them is with my support group.

I am looking for a couple of things to get involved with in the community. There have been some achievements but much more has to get done.

A great post, Rondelle!

Gennee
    [/SIZE]
    I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".

Somewhere, there's an "Adult Baby" website pushing exactly the same argument. "Wear your bonnet and suck your dummy with pride...it's everybody else that needs to change, not us."

Jeez, society doesn't like it you don't vote the same, think the same or feel the same about everything. Should I sacrifice my position within the community to push the 'CD rights' issue, when I don't even care about going out en femme? Sorry, but I don't agree here.

Wink

I'm with Veronica. I'm tired of being disrespected for who I am. Tired of being the butt of jokes. Tired of being looked at as some ill person because of the DSM-IV.

I disgusted by the apathy that is so prevalent among crossdressers. So many of you wonder why your wives don't accept you. Well you can't get acceptance fron anyone without respect. And you can't get respect until you can show the world you will stand up for yourself.

I've got my marching boots ready. Just name the time and place.
    Hail Satin!

Quote Originally Posted by ReginaK
    I've got my marching boots ready. Just name the time and place.
    It's summer. I don't think boots are appropriate.

proposals

First I must congratulate so many with the power and spirit to fight for your rights to express your true self!
    Though I confess being empassioned by the act of crossdress, it isn't my main preoccupation, so tend to work in the struggle for other rights, like the right to breathe without dying from poison, the right to be free! without big brother watching w.ith steel toed boots!
    I guess I've done my share somewhat only, by always wearing ambiguous androgynous dress, exploring my feminine nature. I guess I see crossdress as just one manifestation of a more androgynous or feminine nature in male biology. Though my facial features may pass, I've lived the life of a male, developing strong male body, so would never pass...but rather enjoy some dress to arouse my femine nature and feeling.
    But I do feel strong about, like so many of you, the need to fight for freedom of gender orientation! Generally!
    In this vein I could see the use in our coming together somehow, to express ourselves together. Also I could see the value in a separate forum, oriented to such discussions, our right to freedom of expression without cultural repression!
    ...cata

boi - gurl - whatever... Ms. Donna's Avatar

Angry Do you want a reason???

Here is all the reason necessary:

Taken from the website:

The idea for this memorial came while posting to a message board in the Transgender Community Forum on America Online, discussing the murder of Rita Hester and the wrongful death/survivor’s action for Tyra Hunter. So many had forgotten some of the individuals we had lost in only the recent past and I felt that, by forgetting those individuals, we would be doomed to see their deaths repeated. Indeed, the passing of Rita Hester is similar enough to the death of Chanelle Pickett to leave one wondering.

We have lost so many people in our community to the hand of hatred and predjudice, yet we still are not seemingly willing to fight back. Meanwhile, we die at the hands of a lover, of police, of medical practitioners, and even parents, while the news media calls us “freaks” — and worse.

In fact, the media’s reluctance to cover our deaths lies near the heart of this project. It can be all-but-impossible to find honest, reliable media on the death of a transgendered person: It either does not exist (which is how one can cover thirty years of cases and still only have as many as I have to present), or it uses names that the deceased did not own, and pronouns that did not fit their reality.

There is no “safe way” to be transgendered: as you look at the many names collected here, note that some of these people may have identified as drag queens, some as heterosexual crossdressers, and some as transsexuals. Some were living very out lives, and some were living fully “stealth” lives. Some were identifying as male, and some, as female. Some lived in small towns, and some in major metropolitan areas.

In fact, one thing that has come to light in doing this project is how much more is yet to be done. Over the last decade, one person per month has died due to transgender-based hate or prejudice, regardless of any other factors in their lives. This trend shows no sign of abating.

I’m reminded of the words of a writer, Ralph Werther (also known as Jennie June and Earl Lind) who, in 1922, said, “Child of English Culture, reflect a moment, and ask yourself whether you are at last, in this great enlightened century of man’s existence, willing to grant justice and humane treatment to the androgyne and gynander? Do you still insist that these sexual cripples continue to suffer physical and mental torture for another century because your own pleasure bulks too large for you to hear and bear the truth about the despairing cross-sexed?”

The language may be antiquated, but the feelings are the same: will we be willing to bear yet another century of violence and hatred aimed at those who do not so easily wear “man” or “woman?”

When you look at the names here, remember these people. Cry for those who we have lost, and let your anger out for a society that would allow them to die.

—Gwendolyn Ann Smith, 8th February, 1999

Love & Stuff,
    Donna
    Just your average transgender non-op transsexual
    crossdressing genderqueer transgenderist geek.

[SIZE="1"]The obligatory blog: http://wanderingaloud.wordpress.com/[/SIZE]

If only we all had you nerve.I would love to let people know how I dress!, but you see we are in 2006,people are mean !!!!! What they don't under stand they atack.I do not see the point in getting hurt!I am going to make new friends here @ this forum,maybe I will come out of my bubble some day,for now I share with my wife,she loves it!!!! I love her so much that it is enough for me know.Someone here[like you!!!!]allwas makes me thing what it would be like if you could just be who you want to be,it seems every one has there own mask on that they show everyone,real or not,we are afrade of the trueth!!!!!thank you,from Randi.e-mail to rrmessy1@juno.com

Banned Read only
    Veronica,perhaps crossdressers should get as militant as other groups have.They toot their loud horns,get noticed,then get all these stupid laws passed so they can be privaledged,you know what I mean,more of a deserving american than other americans.Like being fortunate enough to be granted minority status,wow look how that took off,who'd a thunk it.So crossdressers unite,lets blow our loud horns,lets march,hell lets get Cindy Sheehan in the herd,she can help us get what we want.

Excellent!!

As an advocate for this, I'm going shopping tomorrow - and I don't give a sht what people think!

I've wanted to be out on a few occassions, but things have held me back. School life, parents, social groups.

I'd love to say "fck them" and be done with it... but life isn't that easy. I will, however, try to do more for myself in the way of stepping out, and also helping in the acceptance of the transgendered community.

A superb manifesto. xx

[size=3]Hugs xx[/size]

[size=2]"You don't have to be fat to be a lady", Sophie 2006[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Hey, those are nice shoes, but they'd look better in my pants! ... I mean..." Robot Chicken, 2006[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"He's just said a word we don't understand! And he's won at scrabble with it!" - Eddie Izzard 1998[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Head over heels is fine, unless you're in stilettos." -The Beautiful South, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"Forgive me. Let live, me." - Antony and the Johnsons 2005[/size]
    [SIZE="1"]"We walk amoung you..." TransAmerica, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=3]THREAD SUCCESSFULLY HIJACKED[/size]

And you have to laugh J.Edgar Hoover FBI was a CD!What was that line from the movie "Die Hard",something like:"You ask for a miracle and I give you the F-B-I."
    [SIZE=1][/SIZE]

ok....

.... there's a "given" that crossdressers are gay (generaly-not !) and if -gay..trying to subvert social morals ...a wrong interpretation to bare pehaps...while such missinformation lingers and might for some time..
    I vote..be "carefull" eh ? xx"K"
    Just Remember,"Wherever You go- There You are ! "

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Khriss
    .... there's a "given" that crossdressers are gay (generaly-not !) and if -gay..trying to subvert social morals ...a wrong interpretation to bare pehaps...while such missinformation lingers and might for some time..
    I vote..be "carefull" eh ? xx"K"
    Khriss,I once learned the moral majority is neither,my father was the teacher

Lilygirl New Member

0.02 Yeah I'm new , but i have to jump in. I hate to say it , but the world ain't ready for us.Veronica, you do not like people saying,"But I'm from so&so.". It's a fact of life sweety.There are some parts of this Country that are so backward and ignorant that it is beyyond belief! It's going to take a lot of time. My neighbor uses the "N" word for the blacks.Redneck and hateful? To the max! I can't even guess what his reaction would be to me taking in my garbage can enfemme! For now I'm happy being who I am. Yes I live in 2 worlds, as Lily as well as Charlie. Out there I'm a historical reenactor portraying many time periods, and as such, have a mustache and beard. You know what? I love what I do and the facial hair adds to my performance mentally as well as looking the part. I am content to dress when I can. As of yesterday, I have the house to myself as my son moved out to start his own life, so I had the luxury of treating myself all day. Lately I have taken to be a hidden CD by wearing my panties and hose when I go out. I have bought clothing , make-up and jewelry on many occasions. Let them look at me wierd, I don't care what they think and if anyone spots my shaved legs, I'll tell them thats the way I like it 'cause the hair drives me crazy!Veronica, bottom line , nothing in this life is fair, especially when dealing with the unwashed masses, and they ain't going away and get enlighten and accepting of what they consider to be morally wrong. A good friend of mine once told to be happy, you have to be comfortable in your own skin. If taking this stand does that for you, go for it. I'll be that Victorian gentleman on the side lines cheering you on while wearing my back lace panties and being very happy in my skin. Good Luck Hun.

Quote Originally Posted by Lilygirl
    0.02 Yeah I'm new , but i have to jump in. I hate to say it , but the world ain't ready for us.Veronica, you do not like people saying,"But I'm from so&so.". It's a fact of life sweety.There are some parts of this Country that are so backward and ignorant that it is beyyond belief! It's going to take a lot of time.
    Sure there's not so nice places, but perhaps we should try to make those places nicer places. :-)

My neighbor uses the "N" word for the blacks.Redneck and hateful? To the max!
    I'm not trying to be mean here, but do you call him on it? You know say something like "Don't use that word, it's hateful, distasteful and downright rude and unacceptable behavior"

That's what we're going to have to do in general.

I'm a historical reenactor portraying many time periods, and as such, have a mustache and beard. You know what? I love what I do and the facial hair adds to my performance mentally as well as looking the part.
    Cool! Then you pretty much have to have the facial hair, that's understandable.

I have bought clothing , make-up and jewelry on many occasions. Let them look at me wierd, I don't care what they think and if anyone spots my shaved legs, I'll tell them thats the way I like it 'cause the hair drives me crazy!
    You and other folk who do that should be very proud of yourselves. Really. That sort of thing is a good thing and it requires bravery and courage.

I'll be that Victorian gentleman on the side lines cheering you on while wearing my back lace panties and being very happy in my skin. Good Luck Hun.
    Thankee kindly for the cheers.

Veronica
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

Lilygirl

Damn right I called him on it. I askled him why he refered to them that way and he said thats what they are.Did you ever try to have a conversation with anyone whos beliefs are seem to be hard wired into thier brain? It's like talking to brick wall and just about productive.As assinine as their convictions are,you can never get through. Veronica, I admire your convictions. I do. Maybe something can come of this. In the mean time, we all can try to shed a little light into all the dark recesses of ignorance where we find them, what ever the cause.

Veronica’s call to action is not just as an invitation for everyone who considers themselves transgendered in some way to militantly run into the streets demanding rights. Many of the responders here have cited their philosophical or personal reasons for not doing that. Others have given their moral support to the idea, but seem to lack specifics about what to do. As Veronica pointed out, there are many small things that can be done that will let the public know that we exist and do not present a threat. Here are some examples:

1. If you are shopping for femme items (clothing, makeup, etc.) and a sales clerk asks to help you, do not say you are buying something for your wife, mother, sister, or girlfriend. Be honest and say it is for yourself. In doing so, you will not only have let someone know “we” are around, but you will end up with a purchase more suitable for yourself.

2. If you are out dressed enfemme and someone “reads” you, don’t just slink away and sulk about your inability to “pass”. Give that person who read you a smile, and if the opportunity presents itself, go over and talk to them. Explain that you are crossdresser and answer any questions they may have.

3. If you are comfortable going out dressed enfemme, try going to places other than just your local gay bar. Go to “straight” restaurants once in awhile. Visit museums and other tourist places. Travel around on a bus, subway, or train. Go to the same places that ordinary GG’s would go. You will almost certainly get read by some people in these places, and by that happening, the message will get across that TG people are not just creatures of the night that only hang out in smoky bars.

4. Actively support your sisters, either through organized support groups, or by just being a good friend to another person who is TG. Many of us have gotten our courage to go out in public have done so with the active encouragement of our sisters who went ahead of us. If you are actively out and about, take the time to show the “new girl” some of your makeup techniques or offer to help her with some shopping or just accompany her when she is ready to present herself fully dressed out in the real world.

5. If the opportunity presents itself, and your personal situation will allow you to participate, consider being part of a presentation on crossdressing to a college class. College class presentations give you the best opportunity to shape opinions in young minds in a favorable way towards crossdressing. Those that you educate will tell others and spread the message even farther.

6. Be aware of who the candidates are in all public elections and where they stand on transgender issues. Vote for the candidates that you feel will best serve your interests.
    Phoebe

Thank you Phoebe.

I was beginning to wonder when someone would say "you can never win an argument with an idiot" and someone else would start flaming. We have the right to disagree, but we should remember that we have some pretty significant common ground. We mustn't fight amongst ourselves. The bigoted behaviors are the real enemy, and acceptance of those intolerant behaviours is defeat in itself.

Phoebe, you give excellent advice that I can begin to incorporate right away, without having to have Veronica's immense courage to do battle in the name of acceptance. How fitting that you waited until Independence day to share your wisdom.
    Hugs,

Bernice

Quote Originally Posted by Lilygirl
    Damn right I called him on it.
    Woo hoo. That's courage.

. In the mean time, we all can try to shed a little light into all the dark recesses of ignorance where we find them, what ever the cause.
    Yes.

Veronica
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoebe Reece
    As Veronica pointed out, there are many small things that can be done that will let the public know that we exist and do not present a threat. Here are some examples:
    Thanks Phoebe, this is exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of.

Veronica

That's great Phoebe! Thanks.

(I did it... today I bought some shoes. Wedge sandels. And tbh - I didn't notice anyone actually give a flying fck)

Best regards to all xx

[size=3]Hugs xx[/size]

[size=2]"You don't have to be fat to be a lady", Sophie 2006[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Hey, those are nice shoes, but they'd look better in my pants! ... I mean..." Robot Chicken, 2006[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"He's just said a word we don't understand! And he's won at scrabble with it!" - Eddie Izzard 1998[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Head over heels is fine, unless you're in stilettos." -The Beautiful South, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"Forgive me. Let live, me." - Antony and the Johnsons 2005[/size]
    [SIZE="1"]"We walk amoung you..." TransAmerica, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=3]THREAD SUCCESSFULLY HIJACKED[/size]

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaMoonlit
    Hmmmm

When I say "right", i'm not talking about dressing in public, or walking into the drugstore and buying makeup because we already have that. As far as I know there are no laws against crossdressing still on the books anywhere (in the US). What I'm talking about is things like employment. I don't want some CD who is content to dress at home to be accidentally found out and then fired, harassed or whatnot. a la Peter Oiler. I want those who are full time in whatever way to be not discrimanted against in housing, employment, etc.

For that to happen, we need human rights laws protecting us. We have that in Illinois. We have that because people stood up and fought for it. How else is it going to happen.
    I was found out and fired just like Peter Oiler. And two law firms and the EEOC dismissed me. I do live in IL, and hope the new anti gay laws protect me. My last employer was pretty good, and I think they knew about me. It seems that every company that I work for has spied on me, and I'm a closet crossdressor.

Now I comtemplate buying womans clothes in full femme attire + wig -- if I ever got a new job. I'd do this to keep my ID secret when I buy clothes. I got this from looking at how Deidra Cowen gets away with all her cding and her career.

I think a "guy in a dress" look or a "woman in men's clothes look" is ugly. When you do it try to be as passable as possible or not do it at all - that's my view.

Most of the time when guys know I'm a CDr they don't want to make friends with me. A lot of straight people hate us, and I lost a lot of potential jobs because they knew.

RuPaul and Dennis Rodman didn't do a lot to advance our cause. There aren't many (any?) examples of public crossdressors who where looked up to in society.

Crossdressing lowers a man's esteem in society.

i couldnt read through the whole thread so maybe this has been brought up but i remember a section of "My Husband Betty" where she talks about politics and social issues of Trans people. She made a point that many if not most crossdressers will always remain private and not speak up for recognition because the can persue their activity in private and still keep all the societal benefits of being male in ordinary life. she makes the point that most males wouldnt like to give up this status and therefore are very unlikely to come out in a way it will jeapordize their situation (i.e. family, job, community). I think she makes a very valid point in this regard and thats why you wont see a mass movement of CD'ers looking for recognition/rights.

Banned Read only

Its Independence Day

It has been said that fortune favors the bold, so too, freedom lies in being bold. Ain't ever been no other way about it, ain't gonna ever be no other way neither. There is no smooth road, no easy walk. But to choose to do nothing just sucks. To to live, in fear, in loathing, in guilt and shame - (over what amounts in a lot of ways to just a fashion choice, yeesh) - hell, that's just degrading. And it degrades not just you, but everyone around you also.

For myself, I simply got to a point in my life where the choice was between withdrawing from the world - which I believe that most people do, choosing, in the words of the poet, to "lead lives of quite desperation" - or was I going to live, or try to live, attempt to live, the way I wanted to? I did not seek any sort of radical reordering of society, but simple dignity, strong courage, and a touch of humor. I only sought composure, compassion and reasonable safety. It seemed bold at first, but after a time it became routine. In a place like SF or NYC, where there are so many TG persons, the simple effect of having so many who were out has resulted in making it no big deal. You get enough people, you got a movement. Its that simple.

Besides, which of those goals and desires was over the line? Which are not the birthright of every human on the planet? Who among us is not entitled to dignity? Who should fear courage? Should we not all maintain composure and give compassion? Should we all not be able to walk down the street in safety?

OK, so your a bit different, but is not freedom almost always, and exclusively at that, precisely for those who think different, who act different, who are different? {ed. note here - your 'unique difference' is shared by at least a few million people. Different perhaps, unique, think again.} And freedom is a multiplier, so that as Marianne Williamson said "as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

By the same token, when freedom is taken from one, does it not also end up begin taken from all? Is not violence against TGs not far from either violence against women or violence against gays? Ain't these the same people who wore sheets? Who liked to march and yell 'Sieg Heil!' Who loved a good lynching? Who beat their wife's? So if you step back, refuse to take a stand, are not your SOs, your daughters at greater risk?

Yes sure, you have much to lose. You might find that once its gone you might not miss it all that much. Besides, if you are hiding you have already lost it, you just don't know it yet. Nothing can be submerged, hidden, forever. Nature abhors secrets. They will be found out. And besides, its not all about you. Sorry. Its about us. And us is not just CDs, or TGs, but I believe all of us. Particularly now. "In this possibly terminal phase of human existence, democracy and freedom are more than just ideals to be valued - they may be essential to survival," as Noam Chomsky would remind us. So it goes beyond you and me. It goes beyond our kids, our jobs, or our pensions. We might lose all those things and more if change is not brought about.

You say 'I can not hurt these people.' Haven't you done that already? By lying to them, hiding from them a part of you that is real, that is deep, and that is important in some way. In not telling that little girl so long ago the truth you: a) sold her a bill of goods where the merch did not match the packing slip; and b) sold her short by assuming that she could not handle it. Gee whiz, no wonder she is a bit put off. Who wouldn't be?

So of course your SO does not / will not accept you. You don't accept yourself. You lied. You hid. You existed in shame. Who wants to accept that? Who wants to share in that?

Are you worried that people will not like you? Well, wake up and smell the coffee princess, they ALREADY don't like you. You just have not let them know it yet. Nor are you letting the people who might like you, who might accept you, who might even love you for who you really are (instead of what you are pretending to be) know who you are and groove on that.

Be strong in who you are, almost everyone will accept that. I've seen far to many examples of successful people living good lives with plenty of support and loving relationships in them to think any differently. Learn to like yourself, and others will follow.

Or you say you could lose your job. Lose your job? OK, there are other jobs, perhaps even better jobs. But trading your freedom and dignity for a handful of nickels and dimes? Respect? For what? Chump change? (PS a sister of mine transitioned as a VP of Bank of America in charge of home mortgages, so don't tell me it cant be done.)

And in each of these you give away bits of yourself. You become less, not more. Again, who really wants to be with someone who's life is a path of constant diminished expectations?

If you give away the little pieces of your self, sooner or later you ain't going to have a real self. Judy Garland told others to “Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of somebody else.” To which I can only add that being what others want you to be is a third-rate existence at best, the effect of which renders you pretty much a fourth-rate person.

So I'm going to add the words of Sam Adams, patriot - and pretty good beer maker too - when he addressed those who would not join in the Revolution. "If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."

My sisters are on the street, in the cafes, at their jobs, riding the public transit. They are working with organizations, doing political lobbying, engaging in outreach. They are working to change things one law at a time, one person at a time, one day at a time. And if not today, well, "tomorrow is another day." And if need be, we are going to do it tomorrow. And the day after. And the day after that. We will try to use every tool we can. We will use the political system, the legal system, the judicial system, the court of public opinion. We will use art, mass media, books, poems, speeches, rock songs, and web sites. We will work with politicians, businessmen, social workers, and church persons. We are not going to back down. We are not going to give up. Surrender is not an option, and my closet is too full of clothes for me to ever fit back into it. So I'm not going. I'm working, I'm organizing, I'm writing, giving lectures, having conversations, and I'm out joining with my sisters. Its not huge, its just my part. Many hands make easier work.

Some ask why be so militant?

I find the words of Rabbi Sherwin Wine to be particularly true in this instance.

"There are two visions of America. One precedes our founding fathers and finds its roots in the harshness of our puritan past. It is very suspicious of freedom, uncomfortable with diversity, hostile to science, unfriendly to reason, contemptuous of personal autonomy. It sees America as a religious nation. It views patriotism as allegiance to God. It secretly adores coercion and conformity. Despite our constitution, despite the legacy of the Enlightenment, it appeals to millions of Americans and threatens our freedom.

The other vision finds its roots in the spirit of our founding revolution and in the leaders of this nation who embraced the age of reason. It loves freedom, encourages diversity, embraces science and affirms the dignity and rights of every individual. It sees America as a moral nation, neither completely religious nor completely secular. It defines patriotism as love of country and of the people who make it strong. It defends all citizens against unjust coercion and irrational conformity.

This second vision is our vision. It is the vision of a free society. We must be bold enough to proclaim it and strong enough to defend it against all its enemies."

Over my dead body does the first version win out, because if it does, it will be my dead body, and not in a manner of my own choosing & not by old age neither.

And its enemies are legion in our current age. We find all sorts of liberties on the wane. Freedom of speech is now more like watch what you say. Freedom from surveillance is all but erased. Phone records, banking records being collected and sifted through looking for who? For what? And through all this, violence against those deemed more marginal is on the rise again. Who will be the next name on Ms.Smith's web site. Who gets to be the next Lifetime movie by winding up like Gwen?

We are in a process. It has been long evolving. In the 60s there were one or two. In the 70s a few more. By the late 80s there were enough to begin to address the wrongs. By the 90s laws were being written, and unwritten. Now in the new century there is a whole bunch of us. Out, about, working, living, loving, laughing, and crying in the open, in public, just like everyone else.

"And the only reason I'm singing you this song now is cause you may know somebody in a similar situation, or you may be in a similar situation, and if your in a situation like that there's only one thing you can do and that's walk into the shrink wherever you are, just walk in say "Shrink, You can get anything you want, at Alice's restaurant.". And walk out. You know, if one person, just one person does it they may think he's really sick and they won't take him. And if two people, two people do it, in harmony, they may think they're both faggots and they won't take either of them. And three people do it, three, can you imagine, three people walking in singing a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. They may think it's an organization. And can you, can you imagine fifty people a day,I said fifty people a day walking in singin a bar of Alice's Restaurant and walking out. And friends they may thinks it's a movement."

And it is a movement. And its moving. Lead, follow, or get the hell out of the way, the boys would say, but I think its more like old Arlo was thinking, about a bunch of people doing it day in and day out. The basic structures for change are in place. They are few, and they are underfunded, but there are organizations, associations and groups doing the academic research and writing. There are people doing the legal stuff, there are people doing political organizing and educational outreach, and others who are doing inter-TG outreach, trying to gather the greater whole of us together. Great strides, many of which were unimaginable 15 years ago have been made in many areas. We have won a few legal battles and precedents are being set. We have won many political battles on local levels, and are working toward state victories now. Its not all locals, certainly not all states. But its a start.

Its beyond transition and more akin to transcendence. Its about becoming transparent. I'm talking about reaching higher states of consciousness. This is not about REVOLUTION, as much as I feel its about EVOLUTION. If the first must happen for the second to occur, then so be it, but I don't think it does. Our opponents are cowards. They are believers in some mumbo-jumbo voodoo made up by people a couple of thousand of years ago who were wandering in the desert and had obviously been out in the sun WAY TOO LONG. (that's Judo/Christian/Islamic nonsense, just so no one misunderstands me. - and hey, not to worry, they are REAL busy killing each other off these days - our superstition is better than your superstition, nay nay nay nay nay.) Given the light of reason and enlightenment ( i.e. Science), these values scurry like cockroaches when the lights are turned on in a tenement slum. This is part of the great pattern of human evolution, where civilization is a direct result of the feminine nature, not the masculine dominance. Where the basic survival of our species is dependent on female centered values of nurture, of cooperation, of harmony, of domestication, and where the basic survival of our species is threatened by the testosterone soaked values of war, greed, and competition. We are the last best hope of humanity, the last chance of survival. Let's act like it.

You know girls - at least the American ones - REVOLUTION IS YOUR BIRTHRIGHT, live up to it, while you still got a life to live. Its sure more than Gwen or any of the other names on that list have.

Here on this day - of all days - when we are celebrating our right to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" - which seems to me to fit us perfectly - let us recall the words of Patrick Henry: "Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!"

Our sisters have died, and are dying. All I want is the ability for all of us to live as we are in peace, liberty, love and happiness. If that ain't worth fighting for, what it?

tekla, that was simply beautiful. Thank you.

Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by tekla west
    Our sisters have died, and are dying. All I want is the ability for all of us to live as we are in peace, liberty, love and happiness. If that ain't worth fighting for, what it?
    Well said, Tekla, but I'd like to add the word "brothers" to your sentence above. Our sisters and brothers have died . . . don't forget Brandon Teena (among others). Live free or die!
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]