Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drag Queen attacked in NYC

Angry Drag Queen attacked in NYC

Kevin Aviance, who is a professional performer, was just attacked by a group of young men (20 and under).

Even though Kevin performs in drag, he was dressed as a boy at the time of the attack.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Musi....ap/index.html

Kevin does have a website, but I couldn't reach it. It's probably getting bombarded with mail.

NYC is usually thought of as very safe for transgendered people, but this attack may be due to the Gay Pride Parade coming there June 25th.

Terribly sad.
    ....we are all made of stardust

Very sad indeed. Even worse is many attacks like these go unreported or we just never hear about them in the press. And it's horrible that no one stopped to help.

At least they arrested some of the people. But I doubt their punishment will be equal to a broken jaw.
    Hail Satin!

While things like this are terrible and frightening, it will only be by everyone pulling together-- strength in numbers-- and getting laws passed to protect ALL transgendered groups.

Yes these attacks are probably very under-reported and that's WRONG. Just as an unreported rape allows a criminal to go free, unreported transgender attacks do nothing to stop these crimes.

Even if issues like this result in Right/Left arguing, at least the issue is on the table.

Some day....
    ....we are all made of stardust

Gold Member
    Some times staying in the closset not a bad thing.

Transgender HouseWife Toni Shelton's Avatar
    WHY CANT WE ALL JUST GET ALONG??????????
    [SIZE="3"][SIZE="4"]Toni Shelton[/SIZE][/SIZE]

tonishelton56@yahoo.com

[SIZE="2"]My Mothers first Daughter[/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My New Avatar is my New Years Picture, I hope you like.

Hos terrible

I feel soo bad for Kevin. First of all I hope he/she gets better real soon. Its amazing to see that we live in NY ( supposedly so liberal and tg friendly ) and yet, you always have criminals who like to attack those of us in the tv/cd world.

I hope they get prosecuted to the full extent of the law, I am sure the attackers are low lifes and street thugs who have done this before.

Get well soon Kevin, and I wish you the best of luck !!!!!!!!!!

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by susandrea
    Even though Kevin performs in drag, he was dressed as a boy at the time of the attack.
    From what I heard, he had come out of a gay bar, so he was probably attacked for being gay, not TG. Not that it makes it any less tragic in my book, I'm just pointing out that he probably wasn't attacked for being "dressed".

Quote Originally Posted by susandrea
    NYC is usually thought of as very safe for transgendered people, but this attack may be due to the Gay Pride Parade coming there June 25th.
    It's a lot safer than many other places, but it's a nice fantasy to think there is any place in the world that is completely free of bigots and bashers. And this can (and does) happen here any time of the year, not just during Gay Pride activities.

I hope justice is really served this time, but in so many cases it seldom is.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Platinum Member
    I have been lucky and blessed by meeting Kevin and seen him perform, he is a lovely genuine guy!, and is also an amazing performer when dressed!

my wishes go out to him for a speedy recovery!
    Last edited by Kieron Andrew; 06-12-2006 at 12:11 PM.

New England, Mass, Lowell, north of Boston 1/2 hour

Unhappy

I was once told that either Gay, C Der's ect should not go out alone, ALWAY'S have a friend/friend's with you, in other word's BE XTRA CAREFULL. make's sence, I know, why should we have to? cause we dont want this to happen to us

i love being a woman maid phylis's Avatar

Smile re the attack

dear girls i live in new york and i travel all the time enfemme back and forth to cdi ,when i heard about the vicious attack on kevin i got very angry about hearing what they did to him.well this morning on the early news they showed the cowards after they were arrested,thanks to quick work by the nypd they will now face the judge and i hope they get the book thrown at them.and this prooves that more of us should come out so this will let the monsters out there that we are not going to run and hide.i for one will be marching in the parade on the 25th..love phylisanne

Smile

What is the world coming too? I feel bad for Kevin and pray that he is ok.

Anna x
    [SIZE="3"]I need to be on the outside, who I am on the inside[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know[/SIZE]

I have a question. Will the DA prosecute this as a hate crime? or will it be just another assault?

Should be some pressure brought to bear on this one so a message gets sent loud and clear...

Kimberley.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.transgenderlondon.com

Venus and Mars are not aligned; Good thing.
    Where are all the rumballs?
    I may not soar with eagles, but then weasels dont get sucked into jet engines...

Quote Originally Posted by ava_bruna
    I was once told that either Gay, C Der's ect should not go out alone, ALWAY'S have a friend/friend's with you, in other word's BE XTRA CAREFULL. make's sence, I know, why should we have to? cause we dont want this to happen to us
    The best friends to have with you are "Smith" and "Wesson".
    Hail Satin!

having friends

Quote Originally Posted by ReginaK
    Hi Regina, hon, you said it best!!!!
    :GE:
    "to thine own self be true"

Do you have that in pink? Julie Avery's Avatar
    Not in our lifetimes will gays, or crossdressers, be safe from this sort of thing.

I look at myself in the mirror, and I'm tempted to give up - how can I make this monster into something femme? And as the years go by it gets harder. And then I read something like this story. And I totally feel like giving up.

And then I look inward, and I'm the same as I've always been - I want to crossdress.

Let's hang together, and weather these storms, and support each other.

Doug
    "Inside of every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened."

"The best thing about the MBasic that comes with the Kaypro is that it allows variable names longer than two characters."

There you go...
    Just start shooting people. That'll solve everything.

Where I live, that isn't an option, and I appreciate that, however, I have had friends who lived in some large US cities, and, had I lived there, I would have had a little Beretta .25 cal in my back belt, maybe a .357 in my door, and a 20 gauge under the seat. The problem is, once you start that game, the bad guys will usually have bigger guns and more of them. The other problem is that four guys with a baseball bat or a hockey stick can kill someone pretty effectively, so making the lethal weapons illegal helps a bit, but doesn't stop the violence.
    Honestly, I believe that bigotry and hatred is worse now than it was 20 years ago. There is generally less hostile reaction to TG d people, but there is less tolerance to other faiths, for example. I doubt there is a final solution, just an ongoing crusade.

Truth or dare

My prayers are with you Kevin. No one should have to endure this for any reason.
    Ok ladies, what are we going to do? Are we finally ready to put everything we have in the world, (family, friends, jobs, careers, social status, professional clout,) and put how we feel to the supreme test? Can you walk into work the next day with your suit and tie and conduct business as usual? Could you step on the line at Fords, or GM and punch the clock with the rest of the crew and think they wouldn't know that you just walked down Main Street U.S.A. in your best set of Pumps and a sun bonnet.
    Regina, your idea has merit, but then we resort to the wild west. The only people getting anywhere are the preachers and the funeral parlors. Some things are MORE important than what color shoes to wear with a pastel dress.
    The few quiet moments I am granted to be free, are enough to satisify me.
    If the clothes make the man then the makeup makes the woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Avery

I look at myself in the mirror, and I'm tempted to give up - how can I make this monster into something femme?
    What monster are you? I'm a tasloi.
    http://www.planetadnd.com/interactive_books/mm00282.php

And as the years go by it gets harder. And then I read something like this story. And I totally feel like giving up.
    All kidding aside, don't give up. And IMHO it actually gets easier because of our improved makeup skills. I'm a lot better with makeup than I was even 5 years ago.

Let's hang together, and weather these storms, and support each other.

Doug
    Right!

And I see the brave thing you did and I cheer for you. :-)

Veronica
    Rondelle (Ron) Rogers Jr.
    If you believe in it, makeup has a magic all it's own -- Sooner or Later (TV movie)
    We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be?- Marianne Williamson
    Have I also not said that "This Thing of Ours" makes some of us a bit "Barefoot in the Head"? Well, it does.

unfortunately, this is why we need cameras on every block in major cities so that criminals can be identified.. I don't think I'd go out on the street unless I had some sort of hidden camera on me, just in case..

"oh yes, hit me right here.. should put you in prison for a couple more months"

That plus I'd put up a blog with a photo of every attacker, and say "is this your boyfriend? perhaps it's a relative? a co-worker? did you know this person gay-bashed me? If you know this person, you might want to think twice, he's very violent.. Take a look at this video of him kicking me in the jaw"
    Last edited by jo_ann; 06-12-2006 at 07:11 PM.

A very sad and horrible story....and yes we do have to be careful out there!

I feel so sad when dilinquents do something like that! I feel so bad that it still happens in that day and age!

Hate crimes

I for one am in favor of Capitol Punishment,(just take them out back and shoot them) It reduces the crime rate and saves the tax payers that's us a hell of a lot of money.

Veronica

Lingerie is the poetry in a womans closet.

He's doing better

I'm in the area where Kevin was attacked. His attackers were young guys. Kevin has a broken jaw which is wired shut. He's doing better. TGs and TVs are still targets and we have to be careful.

Gennee
    I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".

ladies just look at history. mankind cant be happy unless they have someone to hate. it has and always will be this way i am sorry to say. my prayes are with u kevin. and i wish u s speedy recovery

when the world learns to love
    is when we will truly be free