Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is crossdresser a synonym for transvestite?

Question Is crossdresser a synonym for transvestite?

Is crossdresser a synonym for transvestite?

Yes, Trans = Cross , and as Vestments are another word for clothes then Cross Dresser = Transvestite the Latinised version, In Italian it is "I Travesti"

Some posters here do not care for Transvestite but it has never bothered me as it was the word I first encountered in my teens in the Problems Pages of one of my Mum's Magazines and which described me and thus reassured me that I was not alone but that lots of men and boys enjoyed wearing panties and other female clothing.
    [SIZE="5"]Helen[/SIZE]

CD vs Transvestite

I prefer the term crossdresser to identify my life style. In my opinion, the term transvestite (thanks to the Jerry Springer show et al) carries a perception to the general public that one so classified is a male prostitute. The general public also is credited with lumping transsexuals with transvestites. The term crossdresser may be more applied in USA versus the UK. Sally2

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally2
    I prefer the term crossdresser to identify my life style. In my opinion, the term transvestite (thanks to the Jerry Springer show et al) carries a perception to the general public that one so classified is a male prostitute. The general public also is credited with lumping transsexuals with transvestites. The term crossdresser may be more applied in USA versus the UK. Sally2

I far prefer Transvestite to Crossdresser or CD

In my opinion CDs get a thrill from wearing some female clothes and do not try to pass as a female. A transvestite (often) spends a lot of money and time in trying to look as much like a woman as possible. Cds and Tvs are TOTALLY different in my opinion.

Id hate to be called a CD/Crossdresser, im a transvestite and proud of it.

TV vs CD

Sounds like some kind of main event. Back in "caveman (cave woman, whatever) times when I started, there was only the term transvestite, so I guess that's what I was. Nowadays we have a choice. Call me anything but "late for dinner" (and a few other choice words!) Ericka

I could be wrong

I always thought that crossdresser was applied to some one who dressed up in the opposite gender part-time.
    Transvestite was applied to some one who dressed and lived as the opposite gender full time.
    Transsexual was some one who had been through Gender Re- assignment Surgery.

Just be called what you want to be called. Or don't label yourself at all, it's your choise.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    We've had this conversation before and my personal opinion hasn't changed. For me, I prefer crossdresser because I always associate the word transvestite as a sort of "Rocky Horror" type thing and when I'm en femme that's not what I'm about. I guess it's just one's personal perception. It doesn't really matter after all it's just a word.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

To me -- like Ericka -- call me what ever you wnat. Still doesn't change anything. I like to get dressed up and I'm only waiting for the right moment to go out for a good time I go. With the girls, of course!
    Gabrielle -- named by my mother after my Great Grandmother

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieGirl
    To me -- like Ericka -- call me what ever you wnat. Still doesn't change anything. I like to get dressed up and I'm only waiting for the right moment to go out for a good time I go. With the girls, of course!
    Gotta agree this you gurls here a TV(sorry) though to me is one who does it for sex. Please no offence intended!

My two cents, too.
    As long as we need a label there is something wrong.
    I've learned lately that there isn't anything wrong with me.

[SIZE=4]I much prefer being called a transvestite - I hate being called an "angry wardrobe" (Crossdresser).[/SIZE]

this probably does not help in actually differentiating, but I have grown accustomed to lumping all of the terms into one. I (as well as most of those around me) refer to everyone in the trans- community as a "T-girl"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[SIZE="2"]Kelly Kelly Bo Belly Banarama Moe Mel Lee Fee Fie Foe Fell E KELLY![/SIZE] [SIZE="3"]~:>[/SIZE]
    http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...le-avatar1.jpg
    [SIZE="3"]FABJSFADHH [SIZE="1"](Female At Birth Just Suffering From A Distended Hoo Haa)[/SIZE] Kelly[/SIZE]

Sure I don't mind being called a transvestite! I don't mind a lot of terms it just depends on the context when they are being used!
    My wife called me a tranvestite once with alot of disdaine and me feel ashamed, so it can hurt.
    One of my faves cause it me makes laugh and feel "naughty" is Sexual Deviant!

Try that one out and let me know what ya think. It was what I found in a book when I was trying to figure out who and what I was.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[SIZE="3"]And I was thinkin' how the world shoulda cried
    On the day Jack Kirby died
    [/SIZE]

You are what you are regardless of what name is given.
    I find it odd though that people can give a different meaning to the translated meaning of a word.
    The word 'sweet' in English is 'doux' in French and 'dulce' in Spanish. It would be bizzare if an apple pie wanted to be described as sweet and not dulce because that was negative.

I've noticed that a lot of the Eurpoean girls use TV or Transvestite in their ID's.

Love Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Smile i'm with you on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly_TGirl

In my opinion CDs get a thrill from wearing some female clothes and do not try to pass as a female. A transvestite (often) spends a lot of money and time in trying to look as much like a woman as possible. Cds and Tvs are TOTALLY different in my opinion.

Though it doesn't bother me to be called either, I prefer transvestite. I like the sound and feel of it. Obligations keep me from being a full time transvestite but in my heart I am. I'm a proud and happy transvestite.

Gennee
    I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".

lables ...Again !!?

Quote Originally Posted by Kelly_TGirl

oh well.. but I do understand those terms..wondering how they "qualify" realy ? ..I prefer "total dressing" now.. (transvestism?) as something I should have known..was coming sooner or later...reguardless of the labels others seem to need to qualify or quantify their own image of my behavior or desires ..I prefer ...more simple truths in the complexity I'm dealt , in life eh?
    ..call me what You like !? ..but NOT in a bigoted way !! eh? "K"
    Just Remember,"Wherever You go- There You are ! "

Banned Read only
    Deep South, the land of Magnolia trees, Mint Juleps on the verandah ,hoop skirts & antebellum homes.
    Maybe I'm living in a protected world, but I've never considered transvestite to be a derogatory term.

Trudi explained it to me early on: trans meaning across or to cross, and vestiture meaning clothing or apparel.

To me that is the "clinical" term, leaving no room for confusion.

<shrug>

Exactly Vanya, which is why I always refer to men who are aligned sexually to other men as Homosexual and NOT "Gay".
    [SIZE="5"]Helen[/SIZE]

Banned Read only
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE]A rose is a rose is a rose.

boi - gurl - whatever... Ms. Donna's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Frillee
    I find the word 'transvestite' to be a rather ugly word - it carries too much psychiatric baggage: vis Transvestic Fetishism - DSM-IV diagnostic code 302.3 - which is defined as a paraphelia, a sexual perversion.

Crossdressing as an activity in which one engages. As such, one who engages in said activity could - more properly - be called a crossdresser. A far more polite and civilized label.

If of course you feel the need for one...

Love & Stuff,
    Donna
    Just your average transgender non-op transsexual
    crossdressing genderqueer transgenderist geek.

[SIZE="1"]The obligatory blog: http://wanderingaloud.wordpress.com/[/SIZE]

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Donna
    I find the word 'transvestite' to be a rather ugly word
    with Donna, I personally prefer the term crossdresser myself.

Anna x
    [SIZE="3"]I need to be on the outside, who I am on the inside[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know[/SIZE]

Transvestite - Mainly used in the UK

Crossdresser - Mostly USA and other

Both mean the exact same thing - A person who dresses and acts in a style or manner traditionally associated with the opposite sex.

Although I'm from the UK, I prefer the term Crossdresser, but I guess that is because I've been on this forum for so long, I'm now used to it.
    Administrator

Missing my Libra babe Sherlyn, I hope she's rocking up there with the angels
    Missing our Rianna, doesn't seem right, gone to early, hope she's partying with Sherlyn

One more step... outside! Francine's Avatar

tv, cd, tg

for me, "transvestite" has "clinical terminology" to it. Back in 1970, I was caught by my mother wearing a dress.. and after countless sessions with a clinical psychologist he came to this conclusion.
    ".. a transvestite, but harmless to society...." and was "..convinced to live my life as a man.... "

(see where that got him! )

Except when I am "transgendered"
    The term I prefer to use, when dressed. I'm not real crazy about the term 'crossdresser', maybe because it is used as a synonym of "transvestite".

Francine
    Last edited by Francine; 06-18-2006 at 08:43 PM.
    "Flatter me, and I may not believe you.
    Critisize me and I may not like you.
    Ignore me and I may not forgive you.
    Encourage me ... and I will never forget you!"

Many people would say yes, but what's in a label.

Labels are only for the uninformed and ignorant.