Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is crossdresser a synonym for transvestite?

If anything I prefer the term "crossdresser".. I think the word transvestite tends to lead people on the route of TG..As Lynn says in her post...
    but as I have said in a previous post.. I hate labels unless they are designer...

the fallen angel
    [CENTER] Be sure the brain is engaged, before putting the mouth into gear

[SIZE="3"]Sam and I Are Now Together[/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Junior Member Scrunchie-Bunchie's Avatar
    I am me. I am not anybody else. I don't care to be labelled or to label myself.

I wear women's clothes. I love wearing women's clothes. I find skirts and particularly dresses more comfortable than jeans/trousers. I love wearing hose. I feel good in hose and dresses. I don't much care for cosmetics but I'd love to be able to wear them every day. I'd love to be able to go out in a dress and to live my life in clothes I find comfortable. I reject the macho view of the world that states men must wear trousers.

Am I a transvestite? I really don't care what I'm called. I know I'm me. I would love to be seen as a woman by men and women alike, to be able to blend in as a woman. I also love my wife dearly and never ever wish to be a cause of strife. She would be happy for me to wear a dress with her outside. The only reasons why I don't:

1. I don't want people that pay her for her services (she runs a business) to take sufficient umbridge that it affects her business.
    2. I don't want to be perceived as a pervert.
    3. I'm always scared of other people anyway and in the bible belt - goodness knows what they'd do to me if they found out.

I do enjoy the feel of the outside world when I'm in a dress though.

Is it just me or......... Carroll's Avatar
    I went to dictionary.com and here are the defintions they gave:

trans·ves·tite: a person and especially a male who adopts the dress and often the behavior typical of the opposite sex especially for purposes of emotional or sexual gratification

Cross dresser: : someone who adopts the dress or manner or sexual role of the opposite sex [syn: transvestite]

Carroll
    Drumming, My other hobby

crossdress

I also go with transgender. I think it sounds less offensive

michelleliz

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanna2
    Many people would say yes, but what's in a label.

Labels are only for the uninformed and ignorant.
    i agree but being british i prefer TV or trans....if i have to make a choices

Quote Originally Posted by Angel Darling
    For me, I prefer crossdresser because I always associate the word transvestite as a sort of "Rocky Horror" type thing and when I'm en femme that's not what I'm about. I guess it's just one's personal perception.
    [SIZE=3] Angel pretty much sums it up for me!

Although I now consider myself more of a transgenderist as I develope this side of my lifestyle in the future.
    [/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Love And Devotion To My Online Family

I'm outa the closet, but still inda house!

I don't care what you call me
    As long as it's not late for dinner
    I just don't have fun -- I make the fun

Life's too short........Enjoy every day

Action crossdresser Marlena Dahlstrom's Avatar
    Technically, "transvestite" is merely the Latin translation of "crossdresser" (reflecting the academic roots of the original researcher, Magnus Hirschfeld, who coined the term) although as others have noted, the two have acquired different overtones in the U.S.

Personally I like reclaiming "transvestite" (and "tranny") -- just like gays reclaimed the term "queer." In part because I like how the "trans" part of it ties together with "transgender" and "transsexual" since we're all in this together.
    Lena

A dream? What is a dream, but a blueprint for courageous action.

http://www.adahlshouse.com

The words mean the same thing, however people often understand them differently.

Personally I use crossdresser here because after all this is crossdressers.com lol

Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Marlena Dahlstrom
    Personally I like reclaiming "transvestite" (and "tranny") -- just like gays reclaimed the term "queer." In part because I like how the "trans" part of it ties together with "transgender" and "transsexual" since we're all in this together.
    Yup, I agree with this. If someone else has a negative definition of the term, that's his/her problem. I have no problem with either crossdresser or transvestite and use the terms interchangeably to show people that their definition doesn't matter to me - only mine.

I also mess with people's minds by telling them I'm a catastrophe since the word for transvestite in French sounds like travesty, which means catastrophe (je suis un travesti).
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Smile cd vs tv

I have been known to use both terms but prefer Transvestite as I feel it has a more permanent tone to it and this is something I will always be.

One of 'em applies

One of 'em applies anyway. I just switched from my Ericka to Eric phase and will be CDing as a guy for awhile. So CD or TV, I'll still be here one way or the other. Eric

I think it is more or less the same thing.Many try to define differences and often disagree.I don't really like these labels when describing myself, though tgirl is not too bad.At least it has "girl" in it.
    Some are Cd ,some are TV,what about DVD?

what ??

I am just me !...Dee....Please just call me Dee.
    Dee Dee

I am Woman on the Podium chantelle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sally2
    I prefer the term crossdresser to identify my life style. In my opinion, the term transvestite (thanks to the Jerry Springer show et al) carries a perception to the general public that one so classified is a male prostitute. The general public also is credited with lumping transsexuals with transvestites. The term crossdresser may be more applied in USA versus the UK. Sally2
    THis is true about the Jerry show, and have found that publisising your problems should be a illegal act and u should shoot those people.

That is my proffesional counsilling opiinion
    chantelle.
    9 Different Actions to my Purpose of being Complete...

I'm usually called Lisa, that bloke in a dress or dozy. The CD TV thing really doesn't enter into my tiny world.
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

Banned Read only

My two scents.....

It's too bad we couldn't arrive at some sort of scale here with Le Closet at one end and La Cage at the other.
    Transvestite for me carries a bit too much odour, too close to Drag Queen, which I see as very insulting (to women and dressers) as a characiture. ie: Overly large boobs, lips, hair etc. La Cage etc.
    There is better poetry in 'crossdresser ' for me. The one I really don't like the smell of is "She-male".

Action crossdresser Marlena Dahlstrom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptLex
    I also mess with people's minds by telling them I'm a catastrophe since the word for transvestite in French sounds like travesty, which means catastrophe (je suis un travesti).
    I guess we'll just call you Calamity James...
    Lena

A dream? What is a dream, but a blueprint for courageous action.

http://www.adahlshouse.com

Funny about perceptions

Myself I prefer the term crossdresser. It seems to me to carry less of the baggage that transvestite carries. I suppose that is because crossdresser is the newer of the two and seems to imply a more benign connotation. Its funny because reading the other posts others have the opposite opinion.
    All in all both terms mean the same thing.
    Hugs, Christine
    Just the Girl Next Door
    my ad V
    V

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrissiej

I'll be your Huckleberry! Sarah Rabbit's Avatar

Hmm

I hate the term 'Transvestite' preferring 'Crossdresser' or 'Transgendered'!!

Sarah R.
    Every time I walk down the street, I see every eye on me.
    Every time they look at me, I wonder, who do they see?
    Perfection in disguise,with regimes and alibis.
    The girl in the mirror , isn't the same as the girl in my heart

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned Read only

Slowly they are separating.

Quote Originally Posted by Mistress Frillee
    Is crossdresser a synonym for transvestite?
    If you look up the two definitions you will find that some define transvestite as a fetish, a sexually pleasure thing. A transvestite is a crossdresser but for a specific reason. Not sure it this definition will stick. But I do think the sexual fetish side of crossdressing should be in a different category.