Thread: Strange quirk.

I am Woman on the Podium chantelle's Avatar

Strange quirk.

I hate it when men want to shake my hand . THey seem to still think that it is still a good idea to show their manlyness. As I have a manicure all the time, they notice it and look at me strangely. My hair is also longer now. Making me appear a lot different than a few months ago.

How do I not shake hands, girls?
    Love chantelle.
    9 Different Actions to my Purpose of being Complete...

I tend not to... The joy of being the boss. I hate that punching on the chest thing too... Really hurts my nips!
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

Different view

Chantelle,

I look at handshakes from men ( and woman ) in a different light. As a woman in a professional position - the occasion arises when meeting new client's every day. I see the handshake as an expression of acceptance - equality. Yes, I have met some men that have actually said ( even OUT LOUD) ' "they sent a broad for this??" But mostly I see it as a very nice jesture and puts everyone on an equal level.

This is just my opinion.

If handshakes bother you ----- just keep something in your hands at all times. I don't think they would even notice!
    If only we wore the same size!!!!

I did martial arts a few years back, in case something happend to me while dressed and automatically walk having my feet ballance my weight completely, there is a word for it, not avialable now, So I found that guys seem to sense that I can fight. Althoug I have never used my skills to fight , it makes others sense it in me.

Still hate punching though.
    Breaks the nails.
    Love chantelle.0.02

Quote Originally Posted by mellisa's wife GG
    Chantelle,

I look at handshakes from men ( and woman ) in a different light. As a woman in a professional position - the occasion arises when meeting new client's every day. I see the handshake as an expression of acceptance - equality. Yes, I have met some men that have actually said ( even OUT LOUD) ' "they sent a broad for this??" But mostly I see it as a very nice jesture and puts everyone on an equal level.

This is just my opinion.

If handshakes bother you ----- just keep something in your hands at all times. I don't think they would even notice!
    I thank u for the advice , dear. I mostly walk with my hands in my pockets. As we are a mixed society here , I found that A lot of people seemed to have adopted the idea of shaking hands. As I am good at reading body language i see others adopting a strange stance when I dont shake hands. All my ggs have hugs from me, so that is not so strange.

Love
    chantelle

~Dee~s GG always&forever ~Kitty GG~'s Avatar
    Handshakes are the accepted method of greeting or meeting in the professional arena today.

If you go back a short time.. men wouldn't offer their hands to women and this was insulting and awkward. But because of equality in the workplace its quite normal now.

But if it wasn't.. what are the alternatives really? Hugging is not a good idea in today's environment of sexual harrassment and just because its not very professional. And if hugging were to be the way to go.. isn't it descrimination if you hugs the ggs but not the guys?

I think that we'd be taking a big step backward and we'd end up with things being even more awkward than just accepting the handshake. Sure beats the chest/shoulder punch..

Love & Hugs
    ~Kitty~
    [SIZE="2"]Love is trusting
    Love is honest
    Love is not a hand that holds you down
    ~Tonic
    [/SIZE]

Here is what Wiki says about a handshake.

A handshake is a short ritual in which two people grasp their right or left hands, often accompanied by a brief shake of the grasped hands. It is commonly done upon meeting, departing, offering congratulations, or completing an agreement. Its purpose is to demonstrate good will, and possibly originated as a gesture showing that the hand holds no weapon. Men are more likely to shake hands than women, however in business situations it is considered the standard greeting for both sexes.
    It goes back to Medival Times:

Since the right hand is more commonly dominant, the left hand would typically be used in holding a shield; by shaking with the left hand, one is defenseless while trusting the other person who may still be holding a weapon in the right hand
    Last edited by JoAnnDallas; 06-20-2006 at 10:56 AM.

handshake

Take thier hand soft and with somewhat of a "limp" wrist they will get the idea