Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This Is A What ?

This Is A What ?

Would you call your wanting to dress a hobby, life style or obsession? If not then what is it to you personally ?

Good question! As a GG I obviously CANNOT answer directly...but my impression is that it is a need/obsession/ESCAPE FROM REALITY for my husband. jean

For me?

Just a necessary part of myself Joy. It's part of my spiritual "balancing act". Take care, Ericka

It is an intense need, a hunger. If it is not satisfied then I get obsessed with thinking about it and wanting it. If it is still not satisfied then my old friend depression comes along for the ride. If the need is still not satisfied then I become less and less functional as I spend most of my time fantasizing, yearning and in hell.

So, when I'm not crossdressing it becomes an obsession. If I were allowed to crossdress whenever I wanted it would be more of a lifestyle.

Right know I think it is more of life style that becomes an obsession if it is forced into the closet and a limited time frame . At least it feels less and less obsessive the more freedom I can get.
    Last edited by Marla S; 06-25-2006 at 03:57 PM.

Is it just me or......... Carroll's Avatar
    Ok, once again I am going link you to an article that I did on the same subject. This same question was brought up in another group I belong to; the SouthernTier Gender Alliance.

http://www.vickyvogue.com/crossdresspage.html#oct%2005

I found the original thread, but I think you need to be a member to view it: http://groups.msn.com/southerntierge...40879134263356

Carroll
    Drumming, My other hobby

Carol's answer is clearly more efficient, but since you brought it up again, I'll say crossdresing is a compulsion to pursue the lifestyle. We may pursue at various intensities, but we all want the same thing: the lifestyle whereby we dress as we please. Funny (ironic) how most of us (myself included) go about it in such a way as to ensure that we will never achieve the lifestyle.
    Hugs,

Bernice

Lifestyle

Quote Originally Posted by Bernice
    Carol's answer is clearly more efficient, but since you brought it up again, I'll say crossdresing is a compulsion to pursue the lifestyle. We may pursue at various intensities, but we all want the same thing: the lifestyle whereby we dress as we please. Funny (ironic) how most of us (myself included) go about it in such a way as to ensure that we will never achieve the lifestyle.
    Unfortunately(depends on your point of view, I guess) Bernice, I HAVE achieved it. My problem is: now what? I've been constantly re-inventing myself lately in an attempt to find out. Ericka

I could probly say all three LOL the hobby turned into an obsession, and now it wants to evolve into a lifestyle.

I tried to answer in a more thoughtful manner, but it just sounded silly and convoluted. This is a deep question. The main reason I joined here is to get a handle on it, to try and understand myself better.
    We are made of stars.

Wearing femme gear is something I enjoy - like coffee-housing with friends. If I don't do it I don't get hung up about it.

I'll be your Huckleberry! Sarah Rabbit's Avatar

Hmmm

An intrinsic need...A 'want' I was born with (In a Nutshell)

Sarah R.
    Every time I walk down the street, I see every eye on me.
    Every time they look at me, I wonder, who do they see?
    Perfection in disguise,with regimes and alibis.
    The girl in the mirror , isn't the same as the girl in my heart

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

What it is

Currently, it is an obsession and a compulsion.

Part-time compulsion of varying intensity. More than a hobby, far less than a lifestyle.
    For photos on flickr, my user name is cd_erica_f

For me its a hobby nothing more, its a fun thing to do and I have met some really good people. Its not a lifestyle thing its a way of getting away for a while

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll
    Ok, once again I am going link you to an article that I did on the same subject. This same question was brought up in another group I belong to; the SouthernTier Gender Alliance.
    IMO the collected statements are the wrong answers to the (eventually wrong) question.

Here again I have my doubts if cause and action are well defined and the answers seem again to self-centered as they circle around "transgender life style". IMO living a transgendered life style is a secondary effect due to the social restrictions and can't in any way be the driving force or goal behind transgenderism.

It appears foreshortened to me to compare it with a "bikers life style" and draw conlusions from it. Of course as a transgendered you don't have the choice, which makes transgederism different from a bikers lifestyle, but you can't draw the conclusion from it that it is no life style.

I think the whole thing has a lot to do with living a feminine (for the MTF) or a masculine (FTM) life style. There can't be a choice because nobody has it, transgendered or not. As we are faced to the well known problems with acceptance, it appears quite logical to me that this feminine (masculine) lifestyle, we can achieve, has to be different from that of a GG (GM). In the extreme it is so condensed and forced into a corner that one would call it fetishism. On the other side if we would be free of the restrictions, we probably wouldn't talk about obsession, hobby, private thing etc.
    Last edited by Marla S; 06-25-2006 at 08:13 PM.

For me, it's on the same level as my car. Both dressing and fixing up my car are hobbies.

pretty pretty princess

lifestyle

it's who i am.it's how express my self.it's kinda a hobby cause you want to devote lots of time and money into what you wear.and you onviuously want to look fantastic.

It is a hobby for me and I am always trting to improve my appearance just as one tries to improve at a hobby. In my opinion a hobby is something one does to relieve stress and get away from the pressures of everyday life and that is what crossdressing does for me. Others may have a different outlook on it and it may be something different for them.
    Danielle

Why?

Quote Originally Posted by Danielle_cd2006
    It is a hobby for me and I am always trting to improve my appearance just as one tries to improve at a hobby. In my opinion a hobby is something one does to relieve stress and get away from the pressures of everyday life and that is what crossdressing does for me. Others may have a different outlook on it and it may be something different for them.
    I do it to feel naughty and sexy. My partner loves it. Started when I was 12 raiding mums closet. Sister of course aided my wardrobe. Now we shop together to buy both of us sexy lingerie. Few odd looks when you've got a size 18B bra and a 14C on the counter and I'm standing there with my Missus!! But life is short...do what feels good.

I call it just being me, as it is just a part of who I am as a person.

Platinum Member
    it's the edification of the other side of who i am....

Pushing Through!

CD is Me pushing through the defensive outer shell, a big happy shout of "Here I am!"
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

wanting to dress

It's now an obsession. I would rather be a women then a Man' I live 90% of the time as a women. If it wern't for my work I would just live as michelle all of the time.

Michelleliz

Is it just me or......... Carroll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Marla S
    IMO the collected statements are the wrong answers to the (eventually wrong) question.
    I actually like your answer better than the answers I had!!!

Carroll
    Drumming, My other hobby

Pausing To Femme-flect melissacd's Avatar
    All of the above.
    What stop do I get off at? Hmmm...