Thread: For those who wax their legs

Question For those who wax their legs

Is it worth getting legs waxed at a salon, compared with razors or delapitory creams?

How often do you need to visit to obtain a constant smooth look?

How much do you spend on treatments?

the results from waxing are much better than shaving. during waxing, the hairs are ripped from the root while shaving/depilatory remove hair from the surface of the skin. it takes several days to a week for the first bits of stubble to start to grow back vs. the next day with shaving (for me anyway). it does hurt a bit but after a few times its easier and easier to deal with. take some advil before you go if you are worried about pain. i also found that my leg hair grew in thinner and finer after each waxing. hands down the results with waxing are way better and last longer.

I started waxing myself, but got problems to reach the back parts. So, for a complete waxing I'd recommend a salon (didn't dare to go there).
    Very quickly I got tired of waxing and bought an epilator. It's almost the same result, you can reach almost every part of your body, and you just plug it in. Caution! Using an epilator can become an addicition

Unhappy Epilator

I tried an epilator a few years ago.

OUCH!!! The pain

Quote Originally Posted by Emma England
    I tried an epilator a few years ago.

OUCH!!! The pain
    Well waxing is pain too. I started with the epilator when my legs were just waxed. So I don't have to depilate the complete fur, but single regrowing hairs. That's less painfull and you get used to it.

I've tried home waxing, shaving, depilitory creams and now an eppilator. The first time eppilating is really painful! It's just over a week now and the regrowth is starting. If you touch it up daily it's only a few hairs and is not all that bad pain wise. I really like the smooth feeling and I can just get up and dress if I need to without spending an hour shaving my legs and arms and then 10 minutes double shaving my beard....then the make-up. It's a real time saver. Some people experience more pain and discomfort after than others. Make sure it comes with some sort of performance guarantee. My remington came with a 30 day one, don't think I'll need it.

Good Luck!

Sally

please tell me about waxing!

Girls,
    I so want to know about waxing: can I do it at home with some help from SO, does it work for a long time (I have very little and very fine body hairs), is it better to go and have it done, is it better to just shave????????
    Hugs and Kisses,
    Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Josephine Bonne
    Girls,
    I so want to know about waxing: can I do it at home with some help from SO, does it work for a long time (I have very little and very fine body hairs), is it better to go and have it done, is it better to just shave????????
    Waxing can be done at home. There is hot wax to buy or cold wax strips.
    For fine hair the cold-wax-strips might be enough.
    With only a few and fine hair you might think of an epilator too, as it works better with fine hair and it's probably less expensive than a visit in a salon.

Aspiring Member
    Do you get weird comments from the employees at the salon, if they see a guy asking to get his legs waxed?

Well...

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferMint
    Do you get weird comments from the employees at the salon, if they see a guy asking to get his legs waxed?
    a guy getting waxed is not really weird at all, ask any bike rider or swimmer, now a guy going into a salon and getting a pedicure and a manicure with a full set of acrylic nails who brought in his own nail polish for both toes and fingers, is a bit unusal, but I haven't had any negative or remotely weird comments yet. Maybe I'm just "lucky".

Beyond the idea of "some slight discomfort" with waxing, there is the, for me, pleasure of somebody else fussing with my body and removing all hair.
    I go about every six weeks for an entire wax job. Nose to toes and everything in between. Been doing that for about a year now and I do believe I'll continue as long as possible. I'm noticing that what hair does grow back is not as coarse nor as thick.
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png

Wanna feel Pretty? Do it! CindyFinalyFree's Avatar
    What about laser treatment? It's permanent from what I understand... or is it? Or is it just that it's too expensive and not wide-spread yet?
    Cinthia Madison

Wishing I got more than my mother's looks

Those that matter don't mind... Those that mind don't matter!!!

Good news. bad news:

Nair Spa, a wax product:roll-on. I bought it some time ago, and forgot it. found it in the bathroom closet today. Just after I ran out of Veet. I tried it later this afternoon. Great instructions: take off the cap, microwave for 14 seconds or until it is as warm as ahot bath, (20 seconds in my mv). Apply like a roll-on deodorant. The roller is a bit more than an inch wide, so 2 passes are sufficient for one cloth strip. I could re-use a strip 2 or 3 times, with some extra wax the 3rd time. I haven't shaved my legs for about 2 weeks, so the hairs were about 4 mm long, perfect for waxing. It worked great! Not only that, the residue washes off in a warm bath.
    The bad news?? I waxed my brows, and got a bit high on the right one. Rats! Talk about a femme eyebrow!. without plucking or waxing, I almost have a unibrow. I have been plucking and waxing my brows for 2 years, so this won't be a dramatic change, but, I am sure people will notice. Oh well, 'es la vida!!"

Aspiring Member
    I've gotten laser hair removal done on my facial hair. I have dark hair with light skin, which is good (light hair and/or dark skin doesn't work so well with laser).

After 2 treatments, I'd say 80-90% of the hair is gone. This makes it a lot easier if I want to pluck all the rest. (I'm going for 3 more treatments though, hoping to achieve 100% removal, if not then I'll finish it off with electrolysis.)

Supposedly, laser hair removal works even better on non-facial hair because testosterone-caused facial hair is tougher or something.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferMint
    There shouldn't be any negative comments if the staff are professional enough.

In fact, they should be positive. Hair on mens legs would grow back again, so being nice may see your custom again.

Question One other query

Can anyone tell me what it means when women mention that they have their bikini line waxed.

I mean what area is it referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Emma England
    Can anyone tell me what it means when women mention that they have their bikini line waxed.

I mean what area is it referring to?
    Just imagine you'd wear a bikini pantie and you would see the hair sticking out beyond the area covered by the pantie. Looks odd and is a good reason to get rid of the hairs that are beyond the bikini-line (area) (at least).

Has anyone tried sugaring instead of waxing?
    Gabrielle -- named by my mother after my Great Grandmother

Can you use an epilator on the face?

I am Ana, hear me roar! 27th Jennifer's Avatar

Shaving...

I think shaving is kind of a turn-on...

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieGirl
    Has anyone tried sugaring instead of waxing?
    Same thing, basically.... a sticky substance is applied, a cloth strip rubbed on then ripped off. I have had both done, never noticed any difference....
    Last edited by DanaJ; 07-04-2006 at 03:48 PM.
    DanaJ

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Maryland - between Baltamore and Washington DC

waxing :)

I've only shaved once and that was a few weeks ago. I shaved almost everywhere. I'm a VERY hairy guy. My hair is thick, long, and dark. The only place I didn't shave was on my arms because people at work would have noticed that. It looks a bit strange having no hair anywhere except for my arms but oh well. I guess I'm just not comfortable with that yet, maybe one day.

So yeah, the hairs are growing back and they're already like half an inch long, it's so annoying. I'm thinking about gettting it waxed. I know a guy at work who's bi and has a lot of gay friends. He said one of them works at a salon, maybe I'll go there (it's in Washington DC I believe) and get it done after I meet his friend. I would feel uncomfortable getting it done I think but if I knew the guy doing it maybe it wouldn't be as bad.

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    I tried Turtle wax once---didnt do anything for the hair---my legs sure SHINED though