Thread: sore Achilles tendon from high heels?

sore Achilles tendon from high heels?

Hi All,

For the first time recently, i have been getting very sore Achilles tendons after wearing high heels for a few hours. Anyone have the same experience and do you have any advice for exercises/remedies that can help? I know that GG's who were high heels regularly can suffer from shortend Achilles tendons which cause them chronic problems.

Also, in general, I'd like to know if any of you have suffered the kinds of maladies that GG's suffer from wearing heels, like hammer toes, bunions, etc (sorry to be gross). The majority of my time is spent in male shoes but I am wondering if part time wearing of high heels can cause similar problems?

Thanks in advance,

Christine

I know that if I don't wear my heels for a few days, my first time out, they are sore faster than normal.
    -----

Sherri T

Proudly perched in my Patent High Heels

Hi vcutenyc,

Yes I had the very same problem with sore tendons after wearing high heels for hours at a time (particularly after some considerable time not wearing heels at all). In fact the experience was quiet painful and debilitaing. A physiotherapist offered me this solution and to date it seems to work very well though I do experience some stiffness in my achilles tendon from time to time.

With one foot at a time, stand tall with the ball of your foot on the edge of a stair with your heel hanging over the edge. Now stand up on the ball of your foot as high as you can go. This should be done relatively quickly. Then slowly and gently lower your heel below the level of the stair as far as you can go. You will feel your tendons and calf muscle stretch. Hold for 10 seconds. Please, if you experience pain at anytime don't go past that point unitl you become used to the stretch. Then repeat this 10-15 times then move to the other foot. Please note it's important when you stand tall that you do this reasonably quickly and then to lower your heel at a slow steady pace (something to do with the way certain muscle tendons and sarcomeres behave and interact).

I hope this helps, it worked for me.

Vanessa

Heels

I've worn 5" heel boots all day before. I thought my toes were going to stay curled forever. Hmm--price you pay for wanting to be a woman I guess. Ericka

Never had that!! Bet ice hockey would help strengthen up those tendons!!

Love Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

I partially tore my left achilles in 94, and my doc recommended me wearing heels. He said that the tendon wouldn't stretch as much, and it would promote healing faster.

He didn't know I dressed, and told me "You'll probably think I was some kind of queer for suggesting heels".