Thread: Self Tanner?

Self Tanner?

Hey everyone,

Ive been thinking about using a fake tan of some sort, theyre alot better nowadays, and theres no sun around here to get a natural tan, so wondering, has anyone tried any of these "fake tans"? I would love any suggestions of brands or anything etc.

Cheers, Jane

Banned Read only
    Deep South, the land of Magnolia trees, Mint Juleps on the verandah ,hoop skirts & antebellum homes.
    Janereed,

I use Coppertone's Endless Summer, Sunless Tanning, Gradual Tan, Moisturizing Lotion (whew, long name) and it's fantastic!

You just put it on like you would normally apply lotion, after a bath or shower, then wash your hands. The more often you use it the darker you get. No sun is required.

There is no orange tint and no streaking. Right now a small free bottle of face tanning lotion comes with, when you buy a bottle.

Thanks,

I just did a search, I think coppertones native to America we do have brands like garnier and Amber Solaire, which Im thinking one of these brands.
    Has anyone used these brands?

Gotta work up courage to go into chemist and buy it!

They work but be carefull of putting too much on or you orange, just go for a thin rvrn coat

Thanks Toyah

Im a little worried about going orange, but i can cover my body, Im more concerned with my hands! Should you use gloves?

Also, which is better? There are foams, sprays and normal creams?
    Last edited by Janereed; 07-25-2006 at 08:26 PM.

Banned Read only
    Big yellow thing in sky, called sun. Strip naked, smear self with bear grease, or baby oil, let sun shine on you almost instant tan. No chemicals to dye skin. Produces vitamin D, good for you. Go to pool (cement pond, full of water) Social, meet people. Lots of girls, nearly naked, great fun.

Quote Originally Posted by tekla west
    Big yellow thing in sky, called sun. Strip naked, smear self with bear grease, or baby oil, let sun shine on you almost instant tan. No chemicals to dye skin. Produces vitamin D, good for you. Go to pool (cement pond, full of water) Social, meet people. Lots of girls, nearly naked, great fun.
    Its winter here in Australia

Neutrogena. I like the foam, but it's all the same chemical, but the foam seems easier to apply evenly.

Use hand lotion on your hands first, this will minimize the amount of the tanner that your hands absorb. If you use gloves, you risk tanning everything BUT your hands and turning into mickey mouse.

I do the tanning salon once a week.

Banned Read only
    I live in San Francisco, California, all I know of winter is
    a) its warmer than summer
    b) the ski slopes are open (good sun for tanning there too)

But really, do you want to rub something all over your body if the first question is "Should I wear gloves to do it?" Seems odd to me.

Actually Im fine with rubbing things over my body, I use Lux bodywash everyday!

My arms and hands are tanned enough, I just want to even out the rest of my white body, without making my hands glow. Im going to go with gloves

I'm very pale and am using Neutrogena Build-a-Tan. It works gradually so you determine how dark you want to get. Because it doesn't blast you with a dark brown color, you have a lot more latitude in setting your skintone--and much less chance of catastrophic streaking or turning orange. More details at my blog if you are morbidly curious but I have been quite happy with the results. (Now merely pale as opposed to truly ghostly!)

Erica
    For photos on flickr, my user name is cd_erica_f

Thanks for all the suggestions girls!

Im pretty sure Im going to get Ambre Solaire No streaks bronzer spray. Reading online reviews etc seems this works quite well, but you never know who writes those reviews, ie PR people...

Has anyone used Ambre Solaire?

Im heading down town soon!

Also Im reading moisturises are useful?? Reccomend cheap quality brand?
    Last edited by Janereed; 07-25-2006 at 09:34 PM.

Platinum Member
    go to a tanning salon...........

No tanning for this girl. I give ghost tours and I love the deathly pale look! On top of that, I live in Florida, and if the sun don't crisp you in 5 minutes, you stroke out in 10. Beside, I can remember getting bad sun burns as a kid, and the peeling and pain that went with it. As a kid I admit it was a sport to see how much you could peel off without it breaking. Just call me Pale Face! Love and xxxx, Lily

Jane,

Don't know if they have it in Oz, but we love Hawaiian Tropic Island Glow Daily Moisturizer. It's another one of those gradual build-a-tan type products (no streaking) and it has a very fresh, pleasant green tea fragrance. Plus it does double duty as a moisturizing lotion. Nice stuff!

Love, Marla xx
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And if the people stare
    Then the people stare
    Oh, I really don't know and I really don't care....

--The Smiths

Quote Originally Posted by Marla GG
    Jane,

Don't know if they have it in Oz, but we love Hawaiian Tropic Island Glow Daily Moisturizer. It's another one of those gradual build-a-tan type products (no streaking) and it has a very fresh, pleasant green tea fragrance. Plus it does double duty as a moisturizing lotion. Nice stuff!

Love, Marla xx

Thank you Marla,

But its a bit late! I just got back from town, ended up with Neutrogena Instant bronze. I went to a chemist(drugstore) not realising that places like Target and K mart have a bigger selection cheaper etc. I was so nervous, the girl was helping me, despide how weird it must have been for her!
    SO yeah, also got some new hairclips! Woot, well going to try this tan junk! Hopefully it works out ok! Wish me luck!

Cheers! Jane

Tricia Ann Marie triciaannmarie's Avatar
    I tan 3 times a week at salon. Works for me best

but tanning lotions and cremes do work just make sure you wash your hands good

tricia
    Last edited by triciaannmarie; 07-25-2006 at 10:49 PM. Reason: spelling

well the tan is on,

gotta wait a hour till i can wash it off in the shower,,,bored!

Not your typical girl Lissa Stevens's Avatar
    I used to use Tan Secret and it looked good and worked great. The problem with all self tanners is if you wear work socks and shoes or even tennis shoes for very long and your feet perspire a lot the tanner comes off your feet. Then you have a farmers tan on your ankles. I think it looks pretty tacky so I said the hell with it and go to a tanning salon now. I just keep an eye out for anything abnormal.
    [SIZE="2"]Melissa[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]I'm still standin'
    Better than I ever did
    Lookin' like a true survivor
    Feeling like a little kid
    [/SIZE]

Smile

Hi,

Johnson's do a moisturising lotino with fake tan in it. It's good for your skin and builds up a light tan. Not soobvious as a real fake tan and builds up gradually.

I have it and it's quite good.

Mark.

I've used L'oreal Sublime Bronze and it works very well. Jaie
    [SIZE="2"]I don't think people have problems with the fact that "we" like to crossdress. I think they have problems with the fact that we are comfortable with who we are and can express ourselves this way, while they have issues of their own that they don't know how to deal with.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Janereed
    Hey everyone,

Ive been thinking about using a fake tan of some sort, theyre alot better nowadays, and theres no sun around here to get a natural tan, so wondering, has anyone tried any of these "fake tans"? I would love any suggestions of brands or anything etc.

Cheers, Jane
    Hi jane,
    Alot depends on your skin type. I always use Johnsons Holiday Moisturiser. Because its a moisturiser it goes on evenly, doesn't smear and is quite gradual. It looks alot more natural on very pale complexions too. Ive tried most everything and there are some really good ones, but whatever you use, dont forget to exfoliate otherwise some parts, like knees and ankles will go really orangy in comparison to the rest of your body.
    Take care
    BEVxxxx

So, Jane, who helped put the tanner on your back? Or are you just doing legs, arms and face?
    DonnaT

Jane,

I've used the L'Oreal Sublime bronze and if you exfoliate before using it, it works very well -- not orange and not streaky. The lotion is good for the first round and then I've used the towelettes for touch up and the "danger zones" [toes, ankles, elbows and knees]. I also use gloves to put it on because it's easier to avoid streaking and the lotion won't get under your nails, which can leave an awful stain! Haven't tried it on the face tho -- I use the sun for that!

Just as a word of warning, when you decide to stop it does come off unevenly -- but you can scrub most of it away in a few days with exfoliating gloves.