Thread: Shopping as male

Question Shopping as male

Hi, I put off my shopping trip till tomorrow. Hopefully that dress at Sears will still be there. I was wondering what everyone means when they say they go out shopping in drab. Is that dressed like a male? I plan on going as a male to shop.
    I also was thinking about calling ahead and telling them about my situation and to see if someone could help me, especially for sizing. Is that a good idea, because I still have a gotee and hair on my legs. I don't look like a male that would crossdress. Sometime I plan on shaving all facial hair, maybe sooner than later.

wow that is brave to ring ahead before you go if you are going en drab (dressed as a male) if that will make you feel better for when you get there then go for it, not sure I would phone ahead though as a male I would just go in and shop till I dropped, male or not only differance is when I am shopping for Linda I love it but when I am shopping for Kieran I stand outside smoking and moaning with all the other males.

Conditioned you see even now

Kate xx Home at last

"Used to be a sweet boy
    Holding so tightly
    To Daddy's hand
    But that was all
    In some distant land"

Morrisey

Um, I might call the local boutique, or size up the salesgirl there for her receptiveness..., but I really, really wouldn't call a SEARS for advice on cd shopping. nope, not good. Bad idea. Just go in and buy it? sure.

Consider this some good free advice.

Hugs,

Melissa
    What's the point of instruments, words are a sawed off shotgun-Radiohead

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/melissa.c.keiper

Problem with calling Sears is you'll not likely get the ladies department on the line, or if you do, not the sales person you'll run into while at sears.

Just go in, find the dress you'd like, ask the sales person if you need to get an idea on size, and then ask about trying it on. You may just have to take it to the men's section to try on, but in our local sears stores there is no one managing the men's dressing rooms and you can walk in with what ever you want to try on, no questions asked.
    DonnaT

Yep! Drab is male as drag is enfemme. And why call ahead at Sears? Chances are you won't get anyone who will actually be on the floor. Or then again will really care! Just do it. You don't need to explain yourself to anyone. Worst case you try on the dress in the mens dressing room!! Have fun and don't worry about it. You be fine.

Love Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

It sure helped me to know what I wanted first and then go into the store. I made a shopping list. You know what you're after then, and don't have to waste time

Have fun! It's such a rush
    M
    We are made of stars.

read my thread on shopping in drab.....I think it may help
    If you can't wear heels, what's the sense of dressing?......

I just had the idea of calling ahead from reading another girls shopping experience. She said she called ahead to Macys. Anyway, thanks for all the advice everyone. I really appreciate it!

Platinum Member
    shopping is shopping in fem or in drabs.....and shopping for hard wear or fem wear is all good.... the fem stuff is a lot more fun...

ok i would not call not needed... i would take a few measurements down ... get your sizes... go in do your shopping if you want to try on something ask the sales girl... or if you don't want to try on something (for what ever reason ) ask if the item can be returned if it dose not fit.......

last thought .....go shopping enjoy have fun ..............

Shopping? To quote Wilma and Betty, "CHARGE it!". There are alot of sites that have size conversion charts, so take your measurements and figure out what womans size you are, and go for it! I love browsing the racks. Shopping is addictive, and I can't think of a better one. Love and xxxx, Lily

Shopping!!!! Yeh...........

I go shopping, it is a therapy. The guys therapy is getting legless on beer or something, mine is definitely shopping. I go drab, always, and some of the experiences I have had buying for myself have been fantastic fun. But, I must say, if I really want fun I shop with my SO when she is over here. That is much better fun. I even get a critique trying them on.

GO SHOPPING GIRL,
    [SIZE="3"]Hugs Andrea[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]'BUILD A BRIDGE, AND GET OVER IT'[/SIZE]

I like your picture

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton
    Yep! Drab is male as drag is enfemme. And why call ahead at Sears? Chances are you won't get anyone who will actually be on the floor. Or then again will really care! Just do it. You don't need to explain yourself to anyone. Worst case you try on the dress in the mens dressing room!! Have fun and don't worry about it. You be fine.

Love Karren
    Karren, I like your new aviatar a lot. Are those breast yours?, I mean part of you?...they look beautiful and very sexy.I always say: "If I was born in a woman's body, I would be a lesbian or bi". Karren,congratulations again, can you let me know ? Love, Jackie
    [SIZE="2"]I love to feel feminine[/SIZE]

Silver Member

shopping

Dear Pink,

Yup, as others have said above, shopping in drab is shopping in your male clothes. This can, for some people, be a lot less stressfull, at least when you are starting out. You don't have the, "am I passing?" question in your mind as you pick out clothes.

I don't think you need to call ahead. Especially at Sears. You won't ever get the same person. You may not even get the same department. Don't try to make up a silly story when you get there though. If you decide you need help, just ask for it. "Do you have this in a size that would fit me?" is a good first question. "Why" is NEVER, EVER anyone elses business. If you have to answer a why question (and you won't)(not anywhere that you are spending money) the answer is always, "because I want it". But really, this is a non-issue. It will NOT come up.

As someone said already, determining your size beforehand will be a big help. Get a measuring tape. A cloth one, not the one in your toolkit. Measure yourself, go online to a shopping site (Land's End, Lane Bryant, Newport News) and use the size chart to detirmine your size. Then you have some idea of where to look on the racks when you get to the store. Now you can say, "I think I'm a size 16, but I better try this on to make sure. Where is your fitting room?". See how easy that is? Only two sentences to practice before hand.

This whole shopping thing is a LOT of fun. Be carefull, you might get hooked.

Lovies,
    Stephenie
    Last edited by Stephenie S; 07-27-2006 at 09:31 AM.

Thanks everyone for the help!
    I did get the dress today!! It is a short sleeve wrap dress. I wanted the brown color but they only had my size in black. I just went in there and found the dresses. I was getting worried when I was looking for the dress because it was getting closer and closer to the entrance of the mall from Sears. When I found them a large family or friends (varying ages) came by when I was looking. I don't think they even looked at me or even gave a second thought that the dress was for me. It was around 5 when I got there so there wasn't much people around. Thank goodness! I didn't get to look at anything else because I was in a time crunch and I needed to get home. I wish now I stayed just a little bit longer so I could look at the panties and bras. Maybe next time. After I picked out my dress I walked but two women in the late 30's early 40's. No reaction from them. I was happy about that. Then I went to the counter to pay. Had to wait for one person. Then I paid. She asked me if I needed a gift receipt which I said yes. I don't know if she thought that I needed it to exchange sizes or if the "person" I was buying for needed it. I hope she thought I needed it just in case it doesn't fit me. Anyway, I had fun shopping! The thing that worried me most was people I know seeing me. I have relatives that live close to the mall, which worries me.
    I tried on the dress and it fits great. I think I want to get a body briefer or maybe some waist cinching panties so I will have more of a femme body. I will put a picture of the dress and me in the dress as soon as possible.

Dress Barn, Fashion Bug, Lane Bryant, Avenue... These are small national clothing shops. They are your safest bet for CD shopping en DRAB (Dressed As A Boy). ...They are good for dressing enfemme as well...

She probably thought it was a gift, as you say you don't look like a typical crossdresser with a goatee.Most people think you are buying for your wife or girlfriend they might even offer to gift wrap certain items.