Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopping at Salvation Army?

Smile Shopping at Salvation Army?

How is the selection at Salvation Army Thrift stores? What is their changing room policy towards CD's? Are the prices better than Goodwill?

GypsyKaren
    I can only speak for the ones in my area...most don't have dressing rooms, but the prices are lower than Goodwill. I love them both and do just about all of my shopping there, but I like Salvation Army the best, they have a bigger selection.

Karen

Banned Read only
    Goodwill here in SF is very good to us girls, and has a few on staff. SalAm is ok, but their stuff is much less quality, but I think that depends on location, so in your area it might be reversed.

go and have a look you may just fine something you like
    Love as always Jasminexxxxxxxx

Don't have a Sally's by me, but will look in the Goodwill some times, but prefer the smaller thrift stores as I find they have better prices. I have a St. Vincent de Pauls, and their prices are half of the big guys. As Tekla said, it depends on where you're at, and what you've got. Love and xxxx, Lily

Cool- "stuff" !!

..just gotta say.. stealing clothes from "Second Hand Stores" is still theft from folks who need help and worse than general shoplifting -I think.....
    ...please sisters ? do'nt steal yer clothing.from the Charity Stores..or if under embarrassment...pay the fair price for ...such...things ehh ??
    implimented morality ...hmm..hehm.oooooohhh.....xx "K"
    Just Remember,"Wherever You go- There You are ! "

Salvation Army stores, aound here anyway, generally tend to have lower prices than Goodwill but take care. They seem to be less picky than Goodwill when it comes to quality.

You're shopping at the Sali Army?? Holy crap, I'm surprised they don't out you and then try to purge you of all your "sins"...

or am I wrong in my prejudice?

[size=3]Hugs xx[/size]

[size=2]"You don't have to be fat to be a lady", Sophie 2006[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Hey, those are nice shoes, but they'd look better in my pants! ... I mean..." Robot Chicken, 2006[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"He's just said a word we don't understand! And he's won at scrabble with it!" - Eddie Izzard 1998[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Head over heels is fine, unless you're in stilettos." -The Beautiful South, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"Forgive me. Let live, me." - Antony and the Johnsons 2005[/size]
    [SIZE="1"]"We walk amoung you..." TransAmerica, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=3]THREAD SUCCESSFULLY HIJACKED[/size]

It's a gift to shop at thrift

I have been a big fan of thrift stores even before i started dressing fem. In this area Value Village seems the best. Salvation Army doesn't tend to have as good a selection but are much cheaper. Dressing rooms ? I haven't had any problem. I used to buy what looked right then return it for credit if it didn't fit, now I try on most things, I get the " look " sometimes but I don't let it bother me. My next step is going into smaller consignment stores. Good luck with your shopping. I have an extensive wardrobe that I would have had a hard time affording if not for second hand. Kahlan

me I'm kinda of getting fed up with the Thrift Stores and Goodwill. When I go in there they usually never have nothing I like and when you look at the ladies tops and sweaters you can see hair on them it kinda of grosses me out. So I'm starting to buy new stuff for myself.

My major problem with the thrift stores is that the racking seem to be haphazard at best. No size sorting. since I'm big, the is a very limited selection in my size, but I have to search everything to find very little that fitsd.
    One's true gender is in the heart and soul, not one's anatomy.

Your brain...don't leave home without it!Maureen

Gold Member
    No dressing rooms at the one's by me, but a the prices who needs them.

Don't worry God is often a boy scout! And boys will be girls!!!!!!!!
    HugZZ Drew XX

Is it just me or......... Carroll's Avatar
    Always shop there, not only for clothes but for a lot of other stuff.
    Drumming, My other hobby

Banned Read only

Hidden Dangers of Thrift Shopping...Golden Rule

Here in Canada, Value Village is getting a little more difficult to shop at because they post a staff at the entrance of a cordoned-off changing area. This makes trying on femme stuff en drab a D-R-A-G (pun intended) but less so if you shop en femme.. VV has the best stuff and racking. Sally Anne has good prices as well. You choose, but there is danger in thrift shopping because you tend to buy more clothes than you really need. Best to go with lists, a theme, or even cutout looks from magazines you think would work before you run out of closet (no pun intended) space.
    My Golden Rule?.......................

If I can't use it, wear it fairly quickly or easily...no sale..

If I have to alter or clean it too much...no sale.

Junksailors.....cast off!

Quote Originally Posted by Kimberly View Post
    You're shopping at the Sali Army?? Holy crap, I'm surprised they don't out you and then try to purge you of all your "sins"...

or am I wrong in my prejudice?
    At the Gospel Rescue Mission they may try to save your soul, but at the Sally they usually don't, unless you sign up for one of their more intense get you off the bottle programs, where you live in a dorm and have daily counseling sessions. If you are a customer at their homeless shelter or their evening meal, you get a totally secular treatment, likewise at their thrift stores. (At least this is how they are in the States)

the stuff is so cheap just buy it and if it doesnt fit put it back in there
    donation bin , its hard to find up to date clothes . as for the change rooms
    they are unisex ,dont ask if its ok just mix stuff up with some guys stuff
    if you are nervous .

Banned Read only
    I like it because I can buy a dress, wear it a few times, turn it in for credit, total cost tends to be about a buck a wearing. I've found DKNY stuff with the Macy's tags still on it. Got a 15 speed bike (major brand) for $30. The lock cost me more. The best rule of thumb is to go to the one in the richest section of town, rich folk toss so much stuff its mind-numbing so I love the one here in SF in Pacific Hgts. The one in Marin is way nice too.

The Goodwill in my area seems to be great, you can find several complete outfits for less than $10. I don't bother trying things on, I like to go home and wash them first.

Smile

[SIZE="4"]
    I've purchased most of my clothes at the Salvation Army. They don't have dressing rooms but I know my sizes and have an eye for seeing what will fit me. There's a Goodwill near my home. I haven't purchased anything there but they have some nice articles.

Gennee
    [/SIZE]
    I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".

If you know the right places to go they come round at midnight with soup and a selection of fem clothing for the needy CDs.

Trouble is you have to say a prayer in thanks before they give you the ball gown and 50s bra but it's worth it.

I find some real nice things a S.A. also the RescueMission Ihave at times found new item with tags still on them.
    Angie G.

I've never been happy with either.....too hard wading through all the racks, trying to find my size....and although Tekla says there is something about wearing fem clothing previously worn by a GG......I'd rather buy at a nice store on clearence and try them on in their dressing rooms......

Just my opinion.

Love Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

When I lived in Northampton MA, the SAs and GWs were plundered by the many antique dealers and retro clothing sellers shopped them pre-hours (at dealer discounts no less) and, then, they'd go mark all the good stuff for 500% markups.

Portland Maine is different. The 'thrifty' Mainer culture shuns antique boutiques - so the used joints are stocked. I live at my local Goodwill. The sizing there is done so accurately, I no longer need to try stuff (skirts & Tees) on.

The local Salvation Army is a quality dip but there's always one ot two amazing items. The lack of dressing rooms could be a downer for many but I figure, at the prices, it's still a bargain.

And, yes, I agree with Tekla - there is a sort of (postmodern) buzz about wearing the hand-me-downs of GGs who, once, had the same taste in styles as me. MMMMmmmmmmm.

Banned Read only
    Wait till you see what they put in the GW down in Silicone Valley, the opposite of thrifty, its spendthrift. I bought it just to buy it, I would never, like, wear it. When you get out here I will be happy to show you some of the stores in SF, its mindblowing. The GW flagship store is fab, the one in Pacific Hgts is marvy, ThriftTown is hippie heaven, all very TG friendly. Plus, on Sept 28 Bloomies opens, to join the two Macy's, the two Nordstroms, the Sak's 5th Ave, and all that. (and no WalMart, No KMart, & no Target in the City limits - hey, we have our priorities OK) Then there is Chinatown and the Mission, tons of stuff, way cheap. Girl, its about as far from Maine as you can get, in reality, and in attitude.