Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Shopping at Salvation Army?

I feel very fortunate, having a loving, supporting, mostly same size wife who goes with me to several thrift stores and helps me with sizing. She also gets a few things for herself.

I turned 55 in January, retired at the end of April. Two close by thrift stores (Aplus bargains and AMVETS) give 25% off to senior citizens on all clothing and shoes on Mondays. On Tuesdays, Two Goodwills near us have their 25% off day for seniors.

The Goodwill stores often have new clothing which was old stock donated by a retail store.

The Salvation Army stores have 5 different color tags, and on any day except Wednesday, there is a tag color of the day and clothing with the color of the day tag is 50% off.

On Wednesdays, 1 Salvation Army near us and another in Niagara Falls have Family Day, where all clothing and shoes EXCEPT for one color tag are 50% off.

Jadeanne

The nearest Salvation Army store has a Sally's Sensations store next door. Sallys has better stuff and sells it for a higher price but still very reasonable.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Thanks for the help everyone! I think I'll check both Salvation Army and Goodwill out!

I just love Value Village
    Most of the clothes are sorted by size
    And work takes me by 7 of them
    I just don't have fun -- I make the fun

Life's too short........Enjoy every day

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tekla west View Post
    The best rule of thumb is to go to the one in the richest section of town, rich folk toss so much stuff its mind-numbing.
    This is excellent advice, and I do this myself all the time. I've found tons of designer stuff in "hardly worn condition". Also Tekla is right, the prices are so cheap if you only wear it a few times you still get your money's worth...and the other big thing she mentions, wearing clothes that "real women" have worn somehow gives you a little buzz...although nothing beats the buzz of my wife's hand me downs
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Correction of my previous post

I made an error about the Monday seniors clothing discount at Aplus Bargains - it isn't 25% off, it's 50% off!

I was there today and picked up a red Leslie Fay border print dress for $3, including NYS sales tax!

Jadeanne

Sweet as Roses CharlaineCadence's Avatar

rhode island sally's

most if not all of the sally's in ri have dressing rooms many are hidden back by the sorting area and they could care less about men buying womens clothing and trying them on. I shop sally's almost all the time along with savers. both are very trans friendly so crossdressers will not be bothered. as far as sicing their ok but you need to go in the morning when the racks are at their best. i have found very expencive dresses in my size their for less then 3 dollers heck even my favret dress cost me .50 when brand new is like 600 made by g.a. I also find that savers stores are great and have many changing rooms and if you buy something and try it on at home you can return it for credit. the only draw back i find with any thrift shopping is simply that many places have few tags so one needs to find other sizing ideas. and remember also that the new trend is to say something that is really a 18 is now a 10 or 12 so try it out. or do the old string trick. pm me if you would like iinfo on the string trick though i think i posted it somewhere on this bord need to search to find it.
    Love is like the rose,
    Beautiful and Sweet,
    Move the wrong way,
    And be pricked by it's thorns,
    Painful it the wound,
    as the heart bleeds,
    Feeding the rose that is hidden,
    Feeding and growing till it is strong,

My life is like an open book to love me is to know me. to know me is to love me.

www.myspace.com/charlainecadencenord

Sweet as Roses CharlaineCadence's Avatar

rhode island sally's

most if not all of the sally's in ri have dressing rooms many are hidden back by the sorting area and they could care less about men buying womens clothing and trying them on. I shop sally's almost all the time along with savers. both are very trans friendly so crossdressers will not be bothered. as far as sicing their ok but you need to go in the morning when the racks are at their best. i have found very expencive dresses in my size their for less then 3 dollers heck even my favret dress cost me .50 when brand new is like 600 made by g.a. I also find that savers stores are great and have many changing rooms and if you buy something and try it on at home you can return it for credit. the only draw back i find with any thrift shopping is simply that many places have few tags so one needs to find other sizing ideas. and remember also that the new trend is to say something that is really a 18 is now a 10 or 12 so try it out. or do the old string trick. pm me if you would like iinfo on the string trick though i think i posted it somewhere on this bord need to search to find it.
    Love is like the rose,
    Beautiful and Sweet,
    Move the wrong way,
    And be pricked by it's thorns,
    Painful it the wound,
    as the heart bleeds,
    Feeding the rose that is hidden,
    Feeding and growing till it is strong,

My life is like an open book to love me is to know me. to know me is to love me.

www.myspace.com/charlainecadencenord

Hi,
    I've had the most experience with Goodwill - though I agree with others that the quality of the merchandise really depends on where the individual Goodwill outlet is located. The outlet nearest me doesn't have very quick turnover of clothes but what they have is great and - funnily enough - alot of the dresses there are long enough for my over six foot three inch body. All I can figure is that a bunch of real amazonians must live in the area and periodically re-organize their closets, with me being the happy recipient! Other Goodwills I've been in have had more or less selection depending on the neighborhood. There is one "Sally Anne" in my town. They are cheaper but selection is far more limited.

Best,
    Gunda

Have gotten a few things at the thrifts but generally it is a real chore to find something in the correct size. I like Wal-Mart early on a weekday morning a whole lot better...... and and Wal-Mart is about as inexpensive