Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Truth hurts??

Question Truth hurts??

People, sometimes it just doesn't work!

I know passing is not everyone's goal on this net, but really, sometimes some of us go way too far. I'm certainly not going to walk up to a perfect stranger and critisize. But do any of you have any suggestions or experiences that might shed some light on how to help a fellow CDer who is way off base?

(Confidential to the CDer in Hinsdale, NH. 4 inch platform slings, micro miniskirt, sleeve and shoulderless tube top, and evening make up just do not help you "pass" in a Wal Mart in rural NH in the middle of the afternoon.)

Banned Read only
    What are you the fashion police? Live and let live? Accept if you want to be accepted?

For some people 'going to far' (which of course is purely subjective on your part) is where the fun is.

I would not wear that outfit on a bet, however I would rather go naked than give a penny to Wall-Mart either. Give the two, shopping Wall-Mart is a greater offense to me than the outfit.

The best advice I can give you, is to look at the way the real GG are dressed at the supermarket. That is the real women. They aren't out to impress, just get dinner.So if you can replicate that look, you got it made...BJ

Banned Read only
    Yes, but if you are going to the opera or a trendy nightclub the safeway look don't cut it either.

For Tekla

I sometimes shop in Walmart because it is cheap. I am aware that they underpay their help, buy from sweat shops, compete with small business etc. but then again I am underpaid and have trouble paying the bills from month to month. I would just love to go shopping in Union Square and buy some really nice stuff. Why not send me some money and I'll forgo going to Walmart.
    Hugs, Christine
    Just the Girl Next Door
    my ad V
    V

http://www.flickr.com/photos/chrissiej

Nobody wears platform slings in my local WallyMart. Everything else would pretty much blend in.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Not so new... well sorta GINA-CD's Avatar
    well, in other cities you can find GGs wearing such outfit in WMart. sometimes they are very young, maybe that's why they do that....
    I'll be ready when I'm ready

A man's got to do what a man's got to do. A woman must do what he can't.Rhonda Hansome

Theres no time to lose, I heard her say
    Catch your dreams before they slip away
    Dying all the time / Lose your dreams
    And you will lose your mind. / Aint life unkind?
    Ruby Tuesday, The Rolling Stones

Dressing as what?

I think Ericka has seen the light. Now that I'm comfortable with being a woman, think I'll become a F to M CD. Seems to make more sense somehow. Ericka

I LOOK like a guy... Casey Morgan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tekla west View Post
    For some people 'going to far' (which of course is purely subjective on your part) is where the fun is.
    Very true. Also, some people dress (and not just crossdress) to make others take notice. Sometimes they're trying to make a statement, other times they just want people to be exposed to something outside their everyday experiences, and sometimes they just want people to think.

It sounds like you aren't going to forget that person any time soon. Perhaps that was the entire point.
    Androgynes: the quantum bits of the gender binary.

Given the amount of thread hijacking going on here, I half expect to see a post from D.B. Cooper pretty soon

Vicky- the general stream of replies is correct: you don't know that the CD in question was trying to pass. Many do not want to pass, and indeed have fun drawing attention to themselves.

For my part, I try to follow 3 rules in giving advice to other cds about appearance:

1. No constructive criticism unless specifically requested,
    2. Never lie
    3. Remember that 80+% of the time I wind up with very subpar results, and that it's part of the whole CD thing...

I have few enough CD friends as it is and want to keep the ones I have!

Erica
    For photos on flickr, my user name is cd_erica_f

But that's not what I came to talk about... I came to talk about the draft!
    (From Alice's Restaraunt)

No, seriously, I think Erica's advice is spot on (as usual).

Quote Originally Posted by Billijo49504
    The best advice I can give you, is to look at the way the real GG are dressed at the supermarket. That is the real women. They aren't out to impress, just get dinner.So if you can replicate that look, you got it made...BJ
    Actually, the other month I found myself staring at a very well-dressed dressed lady (GG on the arm of a gentleman) at my nearest supermarket. She was a "10" and "dressed to kill".

Karren Hutton: Love the math. I have my dad's Kueffel and Esser sliderule, and I know how to use it! But don't ask me about that abacus thing.
    Hugs,

Bernice

Praise to the 'vanguard' for pushing the lines we may later take for granted. There is a sense of operating without a net for all dressers, I think. It was some babe, 'stacked' to the max with a US Marine crew cut, that demonstrated the courage that set me free.

... shopping Wall-Mart is a greater offense to me than the outfit.
    Dreary place. Only fun I ever had in one was the time the ceiling Muzak was playing 'American Woman' (original version) with the 'war machines / ghetto scenes' couplet, yum hmmm - I got a big grin out of that. The context was heavenly.
    Last edited by Calliope; 08-14-2006 at 12:28 AM.

Whether CD or GG, it's, " Hey, look at me!". As for WallyWorld, can't stand the place. Target has the same prices mostly, and doesn't have the trash atmosphere, and is exceedingly always cleaner. Love and xxxx, Lily
    Comfortable in my own skin.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity, and never cease to be amazed by it!" Lazarus Long

It wasn't me. :)

Quote Originally Posted by VtVicky View Post
    (Confidential to the CDer in Hinsdale, NH. 4 inch platform slings, micro miniskirt, sleeve and shoulderless tube top, and evening make up just do not help you "pass" in a Wal Mart in rural NH in the middle of the afternoon.)
    I live within a few miles of that Wal-mart and haven't seen that girl. I don't get it... my wife comes home often and tells me she has seen girls out and about but I've never run into anybody. Before replying, I had to check your description and make sure it wasn't me but I haven't visited that particular store dressed. Plus, I don't think I own anything that could be considered a 'micro miniskirt'.

I don't patronize Wal-Mart much, but there are just some things you can get there that aren't available anywhere else around here. In particular, I dislike plain cotton panties and prefer something in nylon or microfiber with a bit more lace or a pretty pattern... and so far Wal-mart is the only store within a few dozen miles that has anything to offer.

I'm not comfortable dressing that close to home, so when I get the urge to go out you'd be more likely to find me in the Greenfield/Northampton Ma. area.

Are you from the area, or just passing through? I KNOW that statistically there must be dozens of CDs around here, but I'll be darned if I can find any of them! I still feel like I must be the only one within 50 miles.

Suggestion

My one and ONLY suggestion is to be yourself. I personally do not dress to try to pass or impress anyone. When I am Ericka, that is simply who I am, no more, no less. Ericka Kay

Quote Originally Posted by VtVicky
    Who says she was trying to pass? A number of CDs dress to be noticed, the shock value gives them a thrill.

I wouldn't suggest offering unsolicited advice to another CD. Some can get mighty loud.
    DonnaT

Who really cares if they went to far or not. Half the fun of shopping is elbowing the wife and saying "did you see that....." I mean well if ya scene half of my drab outfits I've worn in the past you may have thought those were "to far"
    Really if the cd passes or not isn't a huge concern. If she/he is comfortable with the way they look than Bravo.

WallyWorld can really be fun. With the exception of trying to find what you are looking for and by the time you find a SO who actually knows it seems they send you to the other side of the Bloody Store.

That being said, live and let live.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[SIZE="3"]And I was thinkin' how the world shoulda cried
    On the day Jack Kirby died
    [/SIZE]

Hi Vicky Shame on you

Such statements say more about the judge that the judged!

Now, if there was five o clock shadow!!!

Nothing human can be alien to me.

Those who restrain desire, do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
    -William Blake

"Anyone who knows how to run a household, knows how to run the world."
    -- Xilonem Garcia, a Meshika elder in Mexico

If going out, dress classy not trashy. save the trashy look for home.

Raksha's My Dreamboat Tracy_Victoria's Avatar
    What are you the fashion police? Live and let live? Accept if you want to be accepted?
    Unfortunately as much as every one should have a right to wear, what ever they want and how, I totally understand the post of VTVicky and more to the point understand what she is saying.

Thousands of TV and CD daily pass in to and out off a million peoples lifes, they dress fem, look right, blend in to the crowd, they shops, dine, go to the cinema, whatever, and with most people do not even noticing them. they do not draw attention to themselves, and if noted that there a CD, most just smile, or wink and move on.

However if a RG walks down the road looking trashy, shes going to stick out as well, not just a TV, and lets be honest most of us would actually want to call the fashion police, if we saw a 80 year old dressing like a teenager, with hose and bobby sox on! but add to that equation that it was not actually a woman but a man dressed up and it does nothing to help people like us at all! It's a visual double negative ie god look at that mutton dressed up as lamb, followed by oh, it a man as well!

That may well be true, but everyone has a right to respectablity, and that includes shopers in wallmart, or people in parks with there children and grandchildren.

Passing out to me means just that, passing without drawing attention to yourself, and not raising the concerns of others to your not what you appear to be, if you look at the discription given by vicky, and actually think about it, is this sort of thing go for us girls as a whole, or bad. personally I think it bad, because we all ge labelled as the same.

I like at times to liken crossdressing and passing, to RG's/ Women wearing wigs, there are many woman out there that wear a wig, yet you only see the bad ones, never there really good ones. hence if you ask anybody who knows nothing about wigs, there major impression would be oh wigs, no you can tell it a wig a mile of, because they have only seen the poor ones. Sadly this is an impression we give as crossdressers, whilst the thousands that do pass and pass well, are never seen by the masses, and mingle daily in crowded places, only to be taken as female, it's that one that doesn't that is spotted and generally it tends to be that there dressed for the ball, when going to the mall!!

So surely the think is, if we really do want to go out dressed, we should blend in, not stand out. it's always worked for me, and i know it has worked for others.

just my
    Cya

Tracy

[SIZE="2"]The nail that stands out the most, is the one that is hammered down the hardest![/SIZE]

My wife has repeatedly told me that I'm over dressed when I get the oppurtunity to go out when we are out of town. I cant pass even if i'm wearing sweats and a shirt so I might as well try to look my best and if that means heels stockings skirt and blouse wig and make up so be it. Like some have said we are in it for the thrill. Why not get the most bang for the buck?

No You're Not
    Quote Originally Posted by Deenise60 View Post
    If going out, dress classy not trashy. save the trashy look for home.

Never.

Untitled
    What is overkill in the fashion stakes to some is nudity to others.

I "dress" 24/7, but it is for me and no-one else, unless Sandra wants a hot night ( Sandra's comment). Because I live day to day as female, I try to blend in with my surroundings.

OTT dressing can take place anywhere, but who is to say what is OTT and what is not. Think before you critisise, I think the operative words are

Stones and Glass houses.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

wanna be
    You could always move to New Hampshire.......

"LIVE FREE OR DIE"
    [SIZE="4"]Gina - Girl[/SIZE]

If you dress for the occasion be it shopping, cinema, a bar or the theater.

The more you look like you belong the more chance of passing
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations