Thread: If everyone wore unisex clothing

If everyone wore unisex clothing

If everyone wore unisex clothing, such as the spandex jumpsuit uniforms of Star Trek TNG (past season 1, mind ya they still had miniskirt uniforms in the first season), would we still need the breastforms, wigs, makeup? Would we still have the need to feel female?

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stacie Stockman View Post
    If everyone wore unisex clothing, such as the spandex jumpsuit uniforms of Star Trek TNG (past season 1, mind ya they still had miniskirt uniforms in the first season), would we still need the breastforms, wigs, makeup? Would we still have the need to feel female?
    I think we would still need them.....and what about shoes? For myself, I can feel really quite femme in just a pair of heels. I can feel femme doing things that don't always involve clothes. So for me, I'd wear that skin tight jumpsuit but with a long wig, make up, gorgeous nails, and a lovely pair of strappy heels. I'd much rather be Councilor Troy than Captain Picard.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

I would so be Dr. Crusher, or Tasha Yar!

What if everyone wore a pair of green hospital scrubs? Then you could wear those awesome nurse's clogs and still be comfortable.
    I'm finally out and happy. By the way I look damn good in 3" heels too!

Spandex

I've worn my spandex outfits in both modes. I'm using them as my adventuress outfit mostly though. I will admit, they look better on when I'm Ericka. Kay

Aspiring Member

Yes but why?

I mean that just might be fun sometime's but for me it would then be to be female and wear what is stil considered female clothting.

But hey who know's just maybe by the 23 24th centuires they may have gender netural clothing for us all then who would really care.

But then still female amle's may still op out for the other clothing just as well

Sure worth coming back to find out.

And that's whta I do intend to do.

So look for me then just as well

Hmmm.

Jay Suzy!

Oh and by the way i do intend to be female in those centuries!

I think there would still be crossdressing in a unisex culture, but it does seem that CDing really took off in Western culture when the differences between male & female garb had reached a peak in the mid late 1800s.

However, there are other cultures where the sexes traditionally wear similar clothing (that may or may not tolerate their transgendered individuals). A classic example of tolerance is the many Polynesian islands that have a place in their society for MTF transgender people. Of course, in modern times, many of these girls dress in modern western clothing, do drag shows, and some have SRS. But the old time girls tend to strongly disapprove of such behavior.

Now, Polynesian men & women wear very similar garments, and both wear flowers & shells as jewellery. They just tie their sarongs differently & arrange their jewellery differently. So any Polynesian man can crossdress just by rearranging what he's already wearing.

A few months ago I read an article by a CDer that said (roughly):

If I lived in a world where men and women wore identical clothes,
    except that a man's garment had four buttons & a woman's garment had five buttons,
    I would have to have that fifth button!

I get where she's coming from, but I do like my frills & lace and makeup, too.

Robin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

OH YEAH! Think about it, even with them wearing the same style clothing, have you ever confused Capt. Picard with Dr. Crusher? Didn't think so. Live Long and Prosper, Lily
    Comfortable in my own skin.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity, and never cease to be amazed by it!" Lazarus Long

You'd still need the hairstyle, the makeup, the nailjob, the hair removal, the *padding*, the attitude, etc...

I mean... Please note that men and women can actually still be differentiated in Star Trek?

lonly sheiligh

Smile clothing

it never fails to amaze me that if gg's wear guy's clothing no one ever notices or says anthing but if it 's the other way around!, we get stared at, read, judged and even worse sometimes , could never figure that one out ! though it seems that society is accepting us more now than in the past as i see more crossdessers out and about more than i have even 2 yrs ago and some of them are not really passable , some ppl go on about thier business but there are still others who look, stare, and make comments about us i guess we still have a long way to go yet!!! love sheilighj
    smile, be sweet, enjoy life, and be who you are today, yesterday is gone, and tomarrow may never come!!!!!

Clothing

Those times when I did and do wear what would pass for unisex clothing, it sure doesn't work at satisfying the "need"... There is NOTHING else quite like the feel of a dress or skirt swishing while wearing hose, garters and at least a bra
    Come to think about it the lipstick, jeweleryan perfume also helps with getting there... but that is a different thread...

Cheers
    Ava

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie Stockman
    As a non-breastforms-and-wig-wearer* I'd say it is not a question of unisex clothes, but a question what kind of clothes and aids give you the best fem-feadback. And it is a question how fem you want to be or how fem you see yourself.
    I am positive that a part of us, but by far not all, would throw their breastfroms and wigs away if there would be a better acceptance by the society and if there wouldn't be the need to pass anymore.

*(I admit that I have some wigs meanwhile, but don't like it)

Silver Member

Star Trek

I'll play Counselor Troy.

Jadzia Dax for me

Star trek First Season

It is interesting that during the first season of TNG, on more than one occasion, male crew members were wearing the ninidress uniform.

Unisex translates to sexless sorry but if dressing fem is for me
    Last edited by Toyah; 08-24-2006 at 07:37 PM.

Gold Member
    My luck I would be Data

Quote Originally Posted by Tina D View Post
    My luck I would be Data
    Don't foget, even Data got Tasha Yar....

unisex

whats under the uni?I wouldt throw away my lingerie for any reason.

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kathy gg View Post
    Don't foget, even Data got Tasha Yar....
    You got a point

Banned Read only
    Then there was China under Chairman Mao. Weren't those padded pants outfits lovely? And those cute earflap hats? Ye gawds. Unisex, or more accurately sexless! Not for me!

sTILL NEED MY MAKEUP,LOTS OF MAKEUP
    Dee Dee

If I had to wear unisex clothing, I would have to make sure I had VPL.
    [SIZE="3"]Jennaie`[/SIZE]

Thats more like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stacie Stockman View Post
    I would so be Dr. Crusher, or Tasha Yar!
    Oh hell yeah, we have some trekkers on here, now your talking.
    And your right Kathy, Data did get Tasha, even though he didnt know
    enough to enjoy that one I think. (no emotion chip)
    You know that would be a cool Halloween outfit wouldnt it?
    And too look as good as Dr. Crusher or Troy, and it would have to be
    the blue uniform, I always thought that Troy looked better in blue.

Niki

happy to be here

Unisex Clothing

Stacie,

I like the concept of unisex clothing. It seems to me that over that past 100 years, womens' clothing has certainly taken on more and more of an androgenous look. So many women choose to wear unisex styles and are influenced by mens' classic looks.

From the perspective of a GG, having the choice to wear mens' clothing has been a very liberating experience for many women. Burning bras in the 1960s and wearing pants to school were acts of defiance. I remember my parents being called in to the principle's office at my school in 1968, because they sent me to school in the middle of a harsh Winnipeg winter in pants! Times have certainly changed since then.

I imagine that if there were social constraints on people to conform to unisex clothing, there would be other creative ways they could express themselves. As mentioned above, expression could take the form of individual accessories, hairstyles or other ways of personal grooming. Human expression would still exist in one form or another.