Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Being the first to step forward.

boi - gurl - whatever... Ms. Donna's Avatar

Being the first to step forward.

Hi All,

I have found myself in a unique position that I want to share with you all.

Some of you know this, but for the benefit of those who do not, here is a brief background on me: I am 42, married with two daughters. I am openly transgendered with the tolerance / support of my wife. It is not easy for her or me, but we have been able to make this work for the past eight years. We have a balance – a bit wobbly – but a balance nonetheless. I am openly TG all the time and this includes at work. I basically follow the woman’s dress code (sans skirts and dresses: just not really my thing) and I do this with the blessing of HR. Yes, I went to them as asked if I could do this and they said yes.

I work in IT for a major investment bank. Over the past four years, the firm has established several 'networks' to address traditionally 'minority' groups: Asians, Hispanics, African-Americans, woman and the LGBT communities. The LGBT network is known as LBGLN - if this means something to you, you are likely a colleague of mine: please PM me and at least let me know I am not alone there! While ostensibly established for the LGBT employees, the network is heavy on the G, lighter on the L, and the B & T are, not surprisingly, non-existent. A scan of the groups internal website shows nothing T* related.

So, I sent off an email to them asking if they do any T* oriented events, and if not, is it due to a lack of interest or need. I fully expected the reply to be one of 'sorry, no interest in that area.' and that would be that. It seems I was wrong. Lisa, the membership outreach chair, replied that while she could not answer the question, she was sure that it was not due to a lack of need or interest and wanted to forward my query onto the chairs of the network. About a week later, she asked me to come in and meet with her to have a chat.

My meeting with her went well. I told her about myself and about my experiences at the firm. We discussed how others reacted to me, what motivated me to do this, etc. She then told me something quite interesting. When the network chairs heard about my mail, they were quite excited, trying to look me up in the corporate directory, wanting to know just who I was. It seems that in the four years the network has been in existence, I am the first transgender employee to stand up and say, “I’m here.” They know that there are others out there, but no one had ever stepped forward.

At this point, I’m not sure whether I’m brave or just stupid. Lisa assures me that it was brave of me to step forward.

My meeting with Lisa prompts the network chairs: managing directors of the firm (who are both openly gay) – people with whom I would never have any reason to interact – to ask for a meeting with me: that is if it was alright with me. Ok, put up or shut up time: I accept the invitation.

So, Monday was my meeting. I did my best to look ‘corporate’: nice slacks, knit top, Dana Buchman jacket and sensible shoes. A girlfriend at work told me I looked good and wished me luck.

It was a good meeting. I felt a bit awkward at first – that ‘you are the show’ feeling – but it passed quickly. They filled me in on how the network started and some of their goals. I filled them in on me, my time at the firm and some initial thought on reaching the ‘community’ of T* employees: a group, I explained, who have traditionally kept a low-profile. All in all, it was a successful first meeting.

Afterwards, I asked Lisa if I did well and did I make a good impression (I’m not good meeting people, IMO). She said it went very well and that they were impressed with me. She also told me that the network chairs had asked her my impression of them. She said that we all needed to chill and stop worrying.

As an initial take-away, I’m to come up with a list of links to Transgender resources (recommendations welcome). I’ll probably be doing a monthly article on what ‘Transgender’ is – to help educate others at the firm.

Oh, and they want to put my picture up on the website. I told Lisa, if they can manage to take one where I actually look good, that it’s fine with me. So much for keeping a low profile.

So, while it wasn’t exactly my intention, I now find myself the de facto representative of the transgender ‘community’ at work: to help in reaching out to others and setting standards for the firm as a whole. I was out before, I’ll be even more so now.

Someone had to stand up and step forward – I just never thought it would be me.

How cool is that...

Love & Stuff,
    Donna
    Last edited by Ms. Donna; 08-16-2006 at 02:48 PM.
    Just your average transgender non-op transsexual
    crossdressing genderqueer transgenderist geek.

[SIZE="1"]The obligatory blog: http://wanderingaloud.wordpress.com/[/SIZE]

Way cool!
    [SIZE=4]Sophia[/SIZE]

Banned Read only
    Its the only way change happens. If you are the only T around, small wonder they don't have much, I mean, what's to organize if its a group of one? Other than that, you have been given a chance to make a positive difference, and that is a gift you should use.

Before you were out in work, now you are far out! (does that date me?). Good for you girl.

Love

Helen xx

Excellent opportunity, Donna. Well done. What does your wife think about all of this? Sounds like your T*self will be much more out there!
    Stephanie Kay

"We all just want to be loved!"

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Kay View Post
    What does your wife think about all of this?
    As an advocate of communication, my wife and I are not as good at this as we need to be. Some things came to a head on Monday night and the air cleared a bit. I told her about my meeting (not knowing how she would react) and we discussed it more last night. She was quite positive about it, which really meant a lot to me. I think she is genuinely happy for me and the opportunity it presents. Proof that my continued fear of discussing things - lest they upset the delicate balance that is my life - is perhaps not as well founded as I might like to believe.

Love and Stuff,
    Donna
    Last edited by Ms. Donna; 08-16-2006 at 12:28 PM.

Fantastic

That's absolutely fantastic.

I have to admit I kept waiting for the "but" as I read down your post ... so glad that it was all really, really positive.
    Fiona

---
    Does my bum look big in this?

http://uk.360.yahoo.com/fionasboots

You go, girl! I'm sure it's not easy being a trailblazer, but judging by your post, I'm sure you'll find it within yourself to do an outstanding job!

As an aside, it sounds like you work for an extremely progressive employer in the first place. Wouldn't it be wonderful if other employers would take note of this open-minded attitude?

Way to go. Hold your head high and make us all proud.
    "poor is the man whose pleasures depend on the permission of another." Madonna "Justify My Love"

Last edited by DonnaT; 08-16-2006 at 12:19 PM.
    DonnaT

You go gurl, How do I get a job where I can dress. That would be soooo coooool.
    Huggs, Shelly.
    Huggs, Shelly.

Blessed are the cracked, They let the light in.

This is amazing. You'll be in a fantastic position to show people in who are trans that its not all scary hatey stuff in the real world.

Way-to-go!

[size=3]Hugs xx[/size]

[size=2]"You don't have to be fat to be a lady", Sophie 2006[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Hey, those are nice shoes, but they'd look better in my pants! ... I mean..." Robot Chicken, 2006[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"He's just said a word we don't understand! And he's won at scrabble with it!" - Eddie Izzard 1998[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Head over heels is fine, unless you're in stilettos." -The Beautiful South, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"Forgive me. Let live, me." - Antony and the Johnsons 2005[/size]
    [SIZE="1"]"We walk amoung you..." TransAmerica, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=3]THREAD SUCCESSFULLY HIJACKED[/size]

Quote Originally Posted by Ms. Donna View Post
    Someone had to stand up and step forward – I just never thought it would be me. How cool is that...
    Wow, Donna, I tip my hat to you! That's great news. I'm thinking this may help others out of the closet when they realize they're not alone. Like you said, somebody had to be the first. I think you're very brave. Thank you for shining a little light on the darkness and ignorance that's out there. This calls for a drink - I'll bring the rum!
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Donna, you have taken a BIG step there. And it is a step for all of us that cannot help to benefit all of us. Many thanks, we all can be proud of you.

Love and best wishes, Susie
    Last edited by QZ2; 08-16-2006 at 02:11 PM. Reason: more thoughts
    “I am what I am and that’s all that I am"...Popeye

Quote Originally Posted by tekla west View Post
    Its the only way change happens. If you are the only T around, small wonder they don't have much, I mean, what's to organize if its a group of one? Other than that, you have been given a chance to make a positive difference, and that is a gift you should use.
    Hi Kat,

Oh, there are more of us at the firm and HR knows it: people transitioning and applting for other benefits. But as I said, we are not a 'vocal' group. Transpeople tend to keep to themselves, not want to make waves and just get through life with as little crap as possible.

I present as I do to feel comfortable as me. I go to work, do my job and come home. I don't do it to be controversial or outrageous - I do it to survive. I told them as much and that seemed to impress them: that I didn't have an agenda to this. I also told them (the network chairs) that I'd like to be able to reach out to other T* employee who might feel 'alone' there as well. That also seemed to impress them and fit in with the spirit of the network: to foster a more inclusive working environment for all employees of the firm.

I think (hope) that by others seeing that someone has 'come out' and it really is OK, others will as well. All I need is for one other person to stand there with me to make the point that much stronger. I don't expect it to be easy, but than things of value never are.

You are right, I have been given an opportunity. It's an opportunity I shan't let go to waste.

Love & Stuff,
    Donna

You are an inspiration!
    ....we are all made of stardust

Good Show!

If anyone can handle this you can! I've read most of your stuff here and on your own pages and can't say I've come across anyone who has a better handle on what being TG is about than you do.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa Amina View Post
    If anyone can handle this you can! I've read most of your stuff here and on your own pages and can't say I've come across anyone who has a better handle on what being TG is about than you do.
    Aw, shucks... I'll bet you say that to all the transies. :blushing:

Thanks Teresa - and everyone else - for your words of encouragement. It really does mean a lot to me.

to all.

Love & Stuff,
    Donna

My Mothers other Daughter Janelle Young's Avatar
    Donna,

You are carrying the torch and lighting the way! That took some big breasts to do what you did and girl you have them. I am very impressed. job well done.
    Feeling and looking great

Jasmine and Donna

Swiss Miss

That is so cool!

I wish we could get every company to see it like that!

I wish you the best of luck

Beth

Oh Ms Donna,
    This is too perfect. What a great opportunity for you and others who will be strengthend by your bravery. I would make one suggestion though, make sure you include your wife whenever possible. There is a need for her side of the story. Our side of the fence needs support and encouragment as much as transgendered people. When you love a transgendered person you go through similiar emotions from total acceptance to "what the hell is wrong with me." The more acceptance that is gained in the general population the easier it will be for the non transgendered community to accept and continue to love and maybe even seek out love in the transgendered community. Let me thank you and your wife in advance for your part in representing the trangendered community with dignity and respect. You go girl!

Thank you

I want to thank you so much for taking that big step - it means so much to me and many others.

Huggss

Patty

Wow I am very impressed. You are a very brave and cool girl to be out there blazing trails for the rest of us.

On Cloud 9, or is it 10? ErikaLeigh's Avatar
    First off THANK YOU!!!!!! Ms Donna for taking the step that we all wish we could take. Now it sounds like a great reason to go and have a complete make over and a new outfit for the pics on the website.
    Erika Leigh

Ms. Donna, congratulations to you. Your strength of character and balanced approach to life in general make you uniquely qualified to do this. I'm proud that you are representing the TG community in such a visible and positive manner. You know, of course that you have a forum full of support and resources at your disposal. Thank-you for your willingness to take on this task. You are in a position to make a substantial difference in countless lives. Way to go!
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

WOW!!! that is so cool. I think you will do well representing the T comunity. I know you didn't ask for that job but please do the best that you can. that's all any one can ask for right. I also think that giving your wife credit is a good idea. where would you be with out her right. It's a great oppertunity try not to fall with that tourch. love paula and best of luck
    keep on gurlin everyone. paula may