Thread: Posture?

...likes lingerie.

Question Posture?

Good day, ladies.

Of anyone that would understand, I really hoped you would. Thus, I am asking here:

Since I was young, I've had a fairly good "slump" in my shoulders, which has not really gone away as I've grown older. When I can, I think about it, and I force myself to pull my shoulders back. Unfortunately, I forget, or just don't think about it, and I end up looking like Quasimodo again.

A few years ago, I came across an advertisement for something that caught my eye: A posture-back brassiere. I occaisonally "dress up" in private, so I'm familiar with a lot of the women's undergarments and such. This one, however, has had me baffled since the day I found out about it, and I've not been able to get one bit of a response out of anyone since!

My question is this: Even though I lack the "heavy equipment" that the naturally-female do, would one of these bras still work its magic in pulling my shoulders back? Looking at the basic design, I would guess that they would, but I'm still not certain.

A few years ago, I also suffered from a rather serious spinal injury, which has left me a little less "agile" than I had been. Since this injury occured just above my waist, it has kinda worsened the posture problem. The couple women I've discussed it with, as women are more prone to back problems (or so I've always been told), have suggested some sort of lower back support, such as a corset, to help me stay upright.

My biggest issue is that I'm unable to head out in the public, as even my family is very unaccepting to the concept of crossdressing, and I live in a pretty small town with loose lips. I know it's healthy to "come out" with this kind of thing, but I'm not really ready, and I'm more concerned about my health than anything.

I appreciate any replies that this topic generates, and I thank you for taking the time to even look.

~Trina

Silver Member
    Dear Trina,

If you want to buy and wear a posture bra, go ahead. They are (or were, last time I looked) available from the mail order cataloges of JC Penny, and Sears. Also some of the smaller mail order catalogs that sometimes come in the mail. I am not sure how well a posture bra would fit, though, as after all, it is mainly a bra, and not a back brace.

However, I don't think that a posture bra will do a whole lot to correct an actual slump in your back. Fortunately you can get a real back brace from any medical or surgical suply store. This will really work. Your doctor can prescibe one if you ask and your insurance might even pay for it. This will correct your posture and if you like, you can wear a regular bra over or under it.

Steph

You should have a bone density check done, you may have osteopenia. Its more common in women but I found out I had it they put me on actonel and it has helped

You can get similar gadgets for men. Dunno how or where though. Have a yarn with your doctor - don't mention dressing, just tell him you'd seen these things and wanted something similar for you.
    I'm not mad - that's just a rumour started by people who don't understand the interesting contradictions of my character

Posture

They also sell special body briefers that help your posture. Check out Lane Bryant and Roamans on line. Ericka

I'd suggest to speak with your doctor about Yoga, basic ballet exercises, maybe basic bally dance exercises.

All this will help to make you more flexible, almost inevidable give you a better posture, make your movements softer and more elegant, and train some muscles you never would thought that you have them (You can do this almost anywhere, anytime and don't need more than your body)

But again, if you have spinal problems talk to your doctor first.

...likes lingerie.
    Thank you all for the replies.

I know about osteoporosis and all that jazz, and I know about seeing a doctor. I'm not at all bothered by the concept of buying this equipment designed for women, because I do gather some enjoyment from wearing it.

Something that I was wondering too, does a longline bra offer any lower back support, or is it just designed for shaping?

My father used to have one of these. what it does is pull and hold the shoulders back rather than letting them slump forward.

what it won't do is help with any other posture problem, or support any other part of your spine

Although it will make your biceps and back muscles a bit larger, push-ups, as many as you can do daily will do wonders for changing your natural posture. Sit-ups and toe touches will help strengthen your lower spine.
    [SIZE="3"]Jennaie`[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Trina82 View Post
    Since I was young, I've had a fairly good "slump" in my shoulders, which has not really gone away as I've grown older. When I can, I think about it, and I force myself to pull my shoulders back. Unfortunately, I forget, or just don't think about it, and I end up looking like Quasimodo again.
    Too many of us forget about it too... guys are not taught to walk with their shoulders back, so we all have -to some degree- that slumpy look. It is combined with the male tendency to take long steps: shortening your stride and keeping your legs straight helps focusing on keeping your shoulders back. Ask somebody -friend, SO, whatever- to walk behind you and correct your posture -over and over and over- until it becomes natural. You don't need to tell them about your attraction to cd-ing if you don't want to, it's just for a better posture.

Quote Originally Posted by Trina82 View Post
    My question is this: Even though I lack the "heavy equipment" that the naturally-female do, would one of these bras still work its magic in pulling my shoulders back? Looking at the basic design, I would guess that they would, but I'm still not certain.
    Yes, they do help. I used to wear one. Not very comfy, especially at first, but worth the try. Warning: it's not really "magic". Don't assume you don't need to care for your posture if you wear some aid. If you let yourself go loose, you will look bad anyway.

Just wanted to add that one of the other thing. Part of back pain comes from weak stomach muscles. Weak stomach muscles cause the lower back muscles to over work and triggers the back pain.

Also makes you look alot better in a bikini too !

...likes lingerie.
    Thank you all for the input. I'll keep you posted on what happens, as it happens.

...likes lingerie.
    Sorry for digging up an old(-ish) thread....

I thought I'd share that I have found a small-frame-sized posture bra. Even better, they were on sale! I got the "Playtex 18 Hour Posture-Back". They were $21.00 (I think) at JC Penney, with a special where you get a second for $0.88!

To make it look half way legit, I first just grabbed one, then got a really pretty purple demi bra. At the checkout, the ladies were kinda giving me an odd look to begin with. The older of the two suggested I get a second for the $0.88. I told her, "No thanks. It's just a gag gift anyhow." The younger of the two ladies said, "Well, you should get her two of them and make her think you were shopping big!" I gave in.

So now, my "femme" collection has grown by 3:
    + 2 Posture Bras (34C)
    + 1 Purple Demi Bra (34A)