Thread: Does anybody make their own outfits

Does anybody make their own outfits

Hi Girls, are there any of you that go out and make your own outfits (ie Corporal Klinger from M*A*S*H*) by purchasing patterns, material and sewing them? Or do you buy pre made clothes?

Amelie
    I sew my own clothes. Sometimes I have to draft my own patterns. I have basic, dress, top and skirt patterns I drafted. I then make alterations to these basic patterns to create different styles. The styles are not that much different from each other. Most of the time I wear the same style of clothes.
    Amelie

pre made only

Gosh i do so admire girls who do make their own clothes. Many will say that they do not have the time for such things. To be honest i do have the time i simply lack confidence Maybe a New years resolution for me should be to learn to make something simple and in my case probabily basic and see how i go from there.

Love
    Laura

No

I cook and do the dishes, I try to sew on buttons when a dire emergency arises, but I don't sew, or do windows.
    My sister is the seamstress in our family and I know if I get up the nerve to let her in on my CDing she would sew for me.
    I should be so lucky.LOL
    LOVE & HUGS Georgette

Be who you want to be not what others think you should be
    On the Road to a better Place

If, God put you there, God will help you through it.

Amelie
    Laura, the most basic thing to make would be a tube skirt. Get a piece of fabric and wrap it around your body and have the two ends meet at your side. Then try to make pins where the fit to your body would be. What I mean is let the pins be a temporary seam so you can see where you have to sew the seam line. when you remove the tube skirt, try to sew a line where you made the temporary pin seam. If it's too loose, stitch another line just to the side of the first sewing line until it fits properly.
    Or you can just get a basic tube skirt pattern and copy to your size. A tube skirt is the easiest clothing that can be made.
    The best fabric for a tube skirt would be one that contained lycra, like a lycra/cotton mix fabric. Usually 5-10% lycra and 90-95% cotton, the more lycra, the more stretch.
    Amelie

Red face Sewing

While I dont make my own clothing. I do sew to make my clothing fit properly , take up hems or repair tears etc. I think all CDs must learn these skills if they dress often or full time. They are important to make you look good and to save money. I have made some clothing in the past. I do now make my own hip and bottom padding to fit my body size. I found the commercialy available ones were not just quite right for my body shape.
    Joanna

I have tried to sew a dress one time, desaster. I have sewn a couple skirts that didn't turn out too bad. Now, I just alter things to fit me. Rikki

I sew decently if I need to put on buttons, but I can't make my own outfits, because I can't sew for crap when it comes to that. I just buy clothes.

Good Lord, no.

My wife does the sewing, thank God. If a pattern needs altered to fit my frame, I'll do that for her at least.
    DonnaT

Vallari (Goddess) ;)
    Ive thought about trying this, but I figure Ill worry about it later. Im still trying to figure out the sizing for pre-made clothes!

Hi Girls, are there any of you that go out and make your own outfits (ie Corporal Klinger from M*A*S*H*) by purchasing patterns, material and sewing them? Or do you buy pre made clothes?

as we all know, buying off the rack and getting a perfect fit is difficult due to our male proportions. i buy off the rack and tailor most things myself. but i also make my own skirts & dresses for myself and sometimes my girlfriends. for the beginner who wants to make her own clothes, stay away from stretch fabrics at first due to stiching problems. use an adjustable dress form and transfer your dimensions to it. all clothing patterns allow you to vary the pattern size for the difference between your bust, waist & hips. i personally adjust the hip/butt padding and bra cup size to fill out any minor mistakes. (this is where we have it over gg's) the biggest mistake you can make is not being honest with yourself about your true measurements.
    ps
    i always make the length 2"-3" longer than suggested in the pattern and adjust at the end.

hugs,
    kimm

Thanks
    Amelie

I will give the tube a try sounds like i might be able to manage it.
    If all goes well i can she myself acending into the higher realms of female skills Who knows in a couple of years i might even end up with a sewing machine a a cupboard full of patterns. It would be great if the clothes i made from the patterns looked good

Love
    Laura

I once made a slip dress. The main body of the dress was great, but making the spaghetti straps was a disaster. They said to sew them inside out and then to take a crochet needle and pull the through to get the seam on the inside and the outer material on the outside. I just couldn't get that right! Seems I missed something obvious, because seamstresses don't seem to have superhuman strength.

It does remind me that I'm still looking for a tranny friendly tailor in Johannesburg! Anyone know one?
    My first book, The Shipping Mistake, has been published. It's about all my pre-op years, since I was a child.

It is available for purchase at the following links online:

Amazon, Barnes and Noble and Lulu (the printer)

You can download a free preview by following any of the book links at Lulu