Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thrift Store Findings

Thrift Store Findings

Hiya, girls!

Okay... so I know some of you love to shop thrift... and I am finding out that I myself am loving it! Thats' the way to go for sure!

The other day, I couldn't believe my luck... I actually found a pair of shoes that fit! My feet are large even for a man, so I thought that shoes that fit would be next-to-impossible to find... but I did. Yeah! They are nothing special just a plain black, slip on, faux-leather shoe with a half-inch sole... but they fit!

I can't believe how just a simple pair of shoes can add so much to an outfit! I'd better be careful though! I can see myself beginning to become addicted to shoes!

The best part about the experience was that when I went to pay for them, the counterlady did not even look suspicious or surprised. She just smiled and gave me the total. I paid for the shoes, she bagged them and said to have a nice day... she didn't even seem to care that I spent most of my time browsing the women's section. Hmmm... Next time I'm there, I'm going to pick up this beatiful electric-blue bra that I spotted. But only if its still there... and only if I've got the courage to do so, of course!

How about you other ladies... find anything super-awesome at the thrift shops?

Thumbs up Bonanza

[SIZE="3"]I have purchased much of my wardrobe at thrift shops. The most expensive thing I bought was a skirt for 5 dollars. I love thrift shops.

Gennee
    [/SIZE]
    I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".

Smile

I am only into underware or lingerie, but I have got some great buys at this type of store.

Pausing To Femme-flect melissacd's Avatar
    I love thrift shops, there are so many wonderful bargains to be found and if you make a mistake it is less costly than buying new. You have to look a bit harder to find your size and to find things that are still in good shape, however, it suprises me how many things are in good shape and still in style. We have to be thankful to women who a) take good care of their things b) give them to these organizations and c) make it possible for us to build wonderful wardrobes at a fraction of the cost that it would normally be. This is good as we have to maintain two different wardrobes.

I never understood the whole shoe thing until I started buying some that fit and wow suddenly I was addicted. I love finding new and interesting shoes.

At one thrift shop that I frequent one of the sales clerks has gotten to know me well and though I have never said I am a CD I know that she knows. She compliments me on my choices and seems very interested to see what I have picked out. Yesterday when I took the purchases to the counter she says to me - Now what wonderful things have you found today? - I was tickled that she so gets into this that I am planning to one day take along some photos and ask her if she wants to see what I look like dressed up. I would love to see if she is willing to help me more in terms of finding things that are in good shape, suit me well, fit me well and make sure she is good with me trying things on at the store. I feel if I can gain the good support of people like this that it will make the whole process easier and better.

I was in a discount store the other day looking at new items and found a couple of really cute tops. While I was looking through the racks a sales girl there came right up next to me and approvingly said, you are getting ready for fall and I said you betcha I am, she smiled and carried on.

I am finding more and more situations where clerks are acknowledging these are things for me and appear to be supportive, interested and totally okay with it. I never hear any laughing or snickering in the back. I am sensing that when I am confident and open about things being for me that I get a great and positive response, especially when I am buying things that they approve of. I have had a number of comments at various stores approving my selections and that is a great confidence boost to me in terms of developing a style of my own.

If I get more and more of these positive responses I may reach a level where I am totally comfortable talking with them about my dressing and move to the next stage where I always try things on at the store and perhaps ask their opinion as well....who knows.

I never would have dreamed two years ago that I would have reached the point where I am at, which is still very novice, but I know that if I keep at this I will only get better and better at it.

I was one of those girls who looked at what others had accomplished and thought I will never reach that level. Well my tune has changed and I know that I will achieve that same thing too. It takes lots of small successes but if we are determined we can al achieve this and with each of us out there promoting our lifestyle it gets easier for the next ones stepping out of the closet.

Try it, you will like it

Huggs
    Melissa Paige

(Sorry to get so long winded in this response)
    What stop do I get off at? Hmmm...

I have found many items at thrift shops over the years.In the beginning it was great because I did not have the courage to try anything on so if it was too tight, oh well, it was only $2-$7. Now I bring everything to the dressing rooms along with a couple of mens items (in case I run into anyone I know) and have a great time trying everything on. My best find to date was a real black leather mini skirt, soft and lined, new prob $150-$200 or more for $7.

Quote Originally Posted by Myst View Post
    Hiya, girls!

Okay... so I know some of you love to shop thrift... and I am finding out that I myself am loving it! Thats' the way to go for sure!

The other day, I couldn't believe my luck... I actually found a pair of shoes that fit! My feet are large even for a man, so I thought that shoes that fit would be next-to-impossible to find... but I did. Yeah! They are nothing special just a plain black, slip on, faux-leather shoe with a half-inch sole... but they fit!

I can't believe how just a simple pair of shoes can add so much to an outfit! I'd better be careful though! I can see myself beginning to become addicted to shoes!

The best part about the experience was that when I went to pay for them, the counterlady did not even look suspicious or surprised. She just smiled and gave me the total. I paid for the shoes, she bagged them and said to have a nice day... she didn't even seem to care that I spent most of my time browsing the women's section. Hmmm... Next time I'm there, I'm going to pick up this beatiful electric-blue bra that I spotted. But only if its still there... and only if I've got the courage to do so, of course!

How about you other ladies... find anything super-awesome at the thrift shops?
    I love the trift stores too! I've purchased many dresses, suits ,skirts etc.Some of the stores I visit have designer racks top of the line stuff ,Talbots etc. I have yet to out in public but when I do My $20.00 black coach purse is going with me!
    Luv, Darley Dee

Yeah, the best thing about the thrift shops are the prices!

I also like the fact that many of the itmes have already been worn and are already broken in and extra-comfy! I don't mind buying new, but because my dressing is so limited, it takes a long, long time before my clothes can get that worn-in feeling.

Another cool aspect of thrifting is all the 'name brands' are under one roof.

Love thrift stores! Clothes, books, chatzkis, all at great prices, who could ask for more? Love and xxxx, Lily
    Comfortable in my own skin.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity, and never cease to be amazed by it!" Lazarus Long

Aspiring Member
    The best part about the experience was that when I went to pay for them, the counterlady did not even look suspicious or surprised. She just smiled and gave me the total. I paid for the shoes, she bagged them and said to have a nice day... she didn't even seem to care that I spent most of my time browsing the women's section.
    When I went to Payless Shoe Source to buy my shoes, I wonder if the SA thought something was up. She knew I was buying women's sneakers. She commented to me that she had a pair of those and that they were very comfortable. But as she was ringing up my purchase she asked me for photo ID (I was in drab, paying by credit card), but I didn't have it on me, so she asked me to sign my signature more neatly to match the signature on the back of my credit card.

I wonder if she thought I was trying to credit card fraud those shoes!

Just the other day i was at a thrift store / charity shop whatever ya wanna call it. I got myself a really nice pink top and these sexy purple leather trousers. No shoes to go with them cos I cant find anything in my size anywhere here and I gotta pay rent before spending money online. I want some nice pink shoes to go with it all.

Thrift store dressing rooms are great.

There are no mens or womens dressing rooms...just dressing rooms. I pick out all the fem stuff I want to try on; throw a men's shirt over them and off I go. It's lots of fun to try things on before getting them home. And, I'm only two blocks away from a very nice thrift store.

I also buy from thrift shops. Got some nice jeans for $2. Got a very nice bridal petticoat for $10. I think that is the most I have ever spent on something at a thrift shop. Got a really nice light blue top once for about $2. You can't beat it.

My wife got me started at thrift shops and we have found some great treasures. Only thing I hate is a lot of the time the clothes are not arranged by size and you have to look at each tag to see what size it is. Not a bad deal for the price though.

Quote Originally Posted by Emeralddragon View Post
    Just the other day i was at a thrift store / charity shop whatever ya wanna call it. I got myself a really nice pink top and these sexy purple leather trousers. No shoes to go with them cos I cant find anything in my size anywhere here and I gotta pay rent before spending money online. I want some nice pink shoes to go with it all.
    Keep looking... you never know!

The thrift shops always have new things arriving in everyday!

GypsyKaren
    Oh geez, I get all of my clothes at thrift stores. Last week I bought a 100% cashmere winter coat for $4.50 and a wool poncho (cute!) for $3.00, you just can't beat it!

Karen

OOOOOO, Yes, and thank you Karen for buying me my first faux Sable coat, for $4.50, fabric made in France.
    Almost can't wait for cold weather!!
    [SIZE=3] KRAZYKAT [/SIZE]

Cuddling with my spouse of 18 yrs., GypsyKaren makes me Happy!!

I bought a wedding dress from the salvos, got matching shoes too...
    When i went to pay the guy there asked me is it for you? I replied, yeah it is......

If he only knew.
    i am what I am, I do what I do..
    i do not seek approval from others.

thrift shop???

Okay, this may sound like a dumb question, and it probably is, BUT... what exactly is a thrift shop? And where would I find one? I reside in central NJ so if, after defining it you could point me in the direction I would be ecstatic. Thanks bunches.
    [SIZE="1"]Hopefully coming to grips with getting older[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]http://360.yahoo.com/randi_789[/SIZE]

Keep looking... you never know!

The thrift shops always have new things arriving in everyday!
    Yeah the biggest womens size Ive found in shops in Ireland is a size 8 UK. I take a size 12.Its looks like Im comparing kids shoes to my feet when i look at what they have. The bigfooted women are keeping their feet well hidden.

Not this girl....

ever again!!

But I'm happy you found something! I find that it takes way too much time! And yeah you can find some nice things once in a while but I'd rather hit a department store during one of their many clearences and buy something new and stylish and deeply discounted!! And I don't have any problems with sales associates....after all its all about the money!! Had more than one compliment me on my purchases!!

And even though Tekla says that there is something about clothing that was actually worn by a woman (or another crossdresser?? Ewwww. Hehehe) I'm still not convinced its worth my time and efort...

But that's just my opinion...and if your happy shopping there....that's all that counts, isn't it?

Damn....all this chat about shopping has got me excited....race you to Kohl's for their big sale!!! Hehehe

Love Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Quote Originally Posted by randi_789 View Post
    Okay, this may sound like a dumb question, and it probably is, BUT... what exactly is a thrift shop? And where would I find one? I reside in central NJ so if, after defining it you could point me in the direction I would be ecstatic. Thanks bunches.
    www.superpage.com and search for "thrift stores" in your area... Typoical ones are Goodwill, Salvation Army plus resale and consignment shops are simular..

Love Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Clearance sales

Gotta watch those clearance sales Karr, especially the ones with the "rock bottom" prices. I've seen GG's literally fighting over that stuff. The place usually looks like a combat zone and some of those gals are viscious mothe....er ladies. I learned not to ever come between two women that want the same bra for $2.00. Not a pretty sight at all. Ericka Kay

Quote Originally Posted by randi_789 View Post
    A thrift shop is basically a used clothing store. Most of the time the clothing is donated, and the store donates a certain % of the money to a charity or something, but not always. In my area the only ones I know of are a few Salvation Armys, A couple Value Village, and a Phase 2.

I know salvation army does alot for the community. Value Village donates sometimes to charity, and I have no idea about phase 2. 90% of my wardrobe (as small as it is) was bought from the Salvation Army. Their selection wasn't the greatest, but I managed to find a few things. I mainly shop there because I am watching my money, and need to spend most of it on other things, so if I can buy new femme clothes for a few bucks, its not such a big deal.

in MY Dreams
    some of my best finds, have been bargain day at the thrift store.
    what a selection.
    veronicaM