Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Are you feeling too old for this?

I'm fifty something and time has not forgotten me, but like any other woman I do the best I can. I have found that I have more control over my weight than I ever thought I did. My goal is to look ten years younger than I am. Time hasn't forgotten me but I can forget time!

Not hung up on the numbers

Perhaps I might be one of the cronologically oldest "girls" on this forum. Though I am retired I still lead a very active life, still flying and sailing. (OK, a touch of arthritis in my left knee...old war wound)
    Because of the toss of the genetic die, I don't seem to age as quickly as others. In our family the men go through puberty at nearly 20 and age correspondingly slower, so, at 74 you might say that I'm solidly into middle age.
    That's really me in the photo, though it was taken professionally about three years ago.
    Since my wife doesn't really care for my dressing, I do not get out as often as I wish. On the brighter side, she travels for her business a few times a year and I do goouton those occasions.
    As I get older, it seems that I am rarely read....or maybe I'm just less observant .
    Perhaps had I been born in the seventies or eighties, I might have transitioned, but I can not complain about my life. My occasional forays as a woman add spice and flavour.
    So, ladies, you never are too old!!!!

Thanks everybody!

Wow, looks like my middle age woes sparked plenty of interest... thanks to all of you awesome ladies for the support and the valuable insight. I'll comment on some answers which hit my sensitive spots right after this post.

One thing that came recurrently is, many of you ladies started cd'ing relatively late. That may explain in part the different feeling: I did this for the first time as a teen, and came out (always part time, I never lived full time as a cd) in my early 20s. That's why the flow of time is a tad heavier to accept: I didn't keep old pictures (it was well before the age of digital...) but the memories still live.
    Last edited by Sky; 08-29-2006 at 10:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toyah View Post
    Not too far off 50 here and dont think at the moment going to try to go past it I cannot see the point of being my mother.
    This is so painfully true...

There's that darn thing called genetics. One thing is to look like your dad (which I do too) and one another is to recognize your mom in the mirror. And when I dress up, I see some common features which go unnoticed when in drab, but surface stronger when you are in drag.

Quote Originally Posted by KarenXDR View Post
    ...it's not my business to say this, but might there be other concernces - such as depression which I have had to deal with in the last year (prescriptions)
    Thanks girl, but I'm not depressive. It's just, when I think of old age, I want to die... now who the hell took my 5 lbs bag of Zoloft? Must be that Alzheimer guy again!

(Just kidding, I'm alright ).

Quote Originally Posted by Sejd View Post
    what do you see when you look into that mirror? Are you looking at yourself with wonder and amazement as to what an incredible human being you are or are you looking with the critical self defeating look which only sees an old man dressed as a woman?
    Uh, more like the second type.

Sorry, I'm more Larry David than Dr. Phil...

Quote Originally Posted by Marla S View Post
    Other than that, the awareness of the ageing problem is the price to feel fem, as I think women in general have a bit more issues with ageing than men.
    I really think Marla S nailed it here.

Aging as a guy is socially more palatable. A salt and pepper hair is even desirable. Body shape is relatively secondary, of course many aging guys are in awesome shape, but if you are not nobody really flinches.

But as a woman, things get tougher. I'm not saying that you can't be happy no matter what your looks are (as many ladies here have mentioned), but the fact is, you feel society's pressure more acutely. I don't have issues with the fact of being a cd per se, but I don't enjoy being an unattractive woman.

As a younger cd, after getting a shower and removing my makeup, I used to think how dull and plain I looked as a guy. Last few times I dressed up I had the opposite feeling: my male persona became more presentable than the female one.

Smile I just got started!

[SIZE="4"]I started dressing only last year at fifty-six. I look forward to more dressing as I get older. I have enough trouble convincing some that I'm fifty-eight. Dressing has added spice to my life. Never gonna stop.

Gennee

[/SIZE]
    I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".

I'm 56 and dressing and going out more now than I ever have. Yes, when I look in the mirror, I do see a much older woman than the one I saw when I was dressing 20 or 30 years ago. However, that woman I now see is much more polished, stylish, and confident than the younger one. And she feels better about herself now than so many years earlier. I couldn't possibly give up crossdressing just at the point in my life where I am having so much fun with it.
    Phoebe

I think my problem is that I don't want to dress as an old frump. Clothes that appeal to me would be more siuitable for someone in the mid-thirties to forty rather than 50 something.
    'What the caterpillar perceives is the end, to the butterfly is just the beginning'

Carol Ann also hit the nail on the head. I too, will be 61 shortly and my problem is that I like to dress like a girl in maybe her 30's or 40's. I like skirts and my wife saids that I have pretty nice legs yet. If you want to get a real makeover you can go to Vegas and in about a half hour or so you will not always reconize who you see in the mirror. I did and it was cool.

Outdoor girl seeking..... Sam-antha's Avatar
    I will be back with comments and to see what some ancient or otherwise artist has done with the pic
    ~Samm
    Attached Images Attached Images

Senior Age Member sissystephanie's Avatar

Smile Too old to dress/

I am 74, going on 30! I dress to please myself, not other people. I don't wear a wig or make-up, just feminine clothing and shoes. I went shopping in a Sam's Club today wearing a blue denim skort with an extremely feminine tight white top. Oh yes, I had a bra on which was visible throu the blouse. My shoes were open toe sandals with a medium heel. You are never too old to dress, unless you really think of yourself as being too old! Yes, I got a few "looks' and I loved it. The clerk who checked me out said she loved my oufit!

You are only as old as you think you are! Think old and you will be. I choose to think, and dress, young.

I agree. Being an classy old broad is much better then being an old man. I look forward to spending my later years in a dress.

age is an import guage -- everyone goes thru it. gracefull. gracefull. gracefull.
    i had a friend that was in her mid forties and when she started ranting that she is a teen in her karmic mind, it was creepy. cds have the same plight as everyone else to age gracefully or be delusional tactless buggers. the closer reality converge w/ fantasy, the higher level of gracefullness is achieved.
    everyone cringe to see a elderly woman wears clothes not meant for her wrinkled self, no matter how young she feels, and the same goes for cds.
    youth and beauty obviously rules and rightfully so. wisdom and intellect have their roles in sexual power only when applied in tactfull means -- a mature woman in a "hot" business suit, instead of leopard leotard -- vomit.

Older and Better

I just turned 65. I look younger en femme than I do in male mode. I love myself and refuse to have my world made smaller by catering to what other people think. I have gone my own way and enjoyed a full and fascinating life so far and intend to keep on going. One of my favorite books is " What you think of me is none of my business." I dress however I feel on that day and if anyone around me " CRINGES " who cares. Thnak you for this thread it has reaffirmed for me where I am at and I hope it has helped others who have been wrestling with "ageism " Love Kahlan

Quote Originally Posted by carol ann View Post
    I think my problem is that I don't want to dress as an old frump. Clothes that appeal to me would be more siuitable for someone in the mid-thirties to forty rather than 50 something.
    I think it's pretty much everybody's problem around here.

Ageing GGs have to adopt a style. Most of them take it gracefully, a few become the quintessential "grandma in a catsuit".

But we dress by choice. I think all of us tried (at least once) an over-the-top style, heels a little too high, skirt a little too short, boobs a little too big. When faced with the fact that we look silly in them (ok, we probably did too when we were 20 something, but it can't be getting any better now) we have the same options as GGs plus one: becoming a classy ageing guy.

Sky,
    You make it sound like you could just quit dressing. Have you ever tried? I quit 7 years ago but it just came back. I'm 56 and my body is fine but it will take a little more work to pass. But I will and am looking forward to it. I don't think you're ever to old to enjoy what makes you who you really are.

age has nothing to do with it for me you are as old as the woman you feel im forty but i still feel eighteen and sometimes act like a six year old lol

Quote Originally Posted by Trisha View Post
    age has nothing to do with it for me you are as old as the woman you feel im forty but i still feel eighteen and sometimes act like a six year old lol
    That is precisely the way that I feel. CD'ing helps me to become young and sexy !

well thats it we are all young at hart and girls just want to have fun and the fun part well thats what keeps us young happy and just full of life

ol' Transgendisaurus Mandy Salamander's Avatar
    am i feeling too old for this?,,, are you completely out of your mind??,,, 50+ and recently experienced m' first heart attack!!!,,, my doctor suggested this (she knows 'n has even seen, i go most places en femme, outside work),,, i've spent th' last 6 weeks recuperating in a cabin on a lake 'n living 24/7!!!!! didn't even bring male clothes,,,,, and,,,,,, am recovering wonderfully!!!!! and 've never felt younger!!!!!

Outdoor girl seeking..... Sam-antha's Avatar
    Age, to me that is something mental. I am lucky, I do not know what exactly it is, even with the large number of years that I have passed.
    Love,
    ~Samm
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sam-antha; 09-11-2006 at 05:13 PM.
    'Kerriana "Samantha.....i feel like I'm hearing her through fractured glass.. She makes sense if you kinda squint"

Quote Originally Posted by BettyAnne View Post
    As I get older, it seems that I am rarely read....or maybe I'm just less observant .
    I would guess that as [we] get older, other folks (M and F) become less observant towards us.

Good thing, really.

Quote Originally Posted by LaurenS. View Post
    Sky, You make it sound like you could just quit dressing. Have you ever tried?
    Yup, just did... purged a few months ago and haven't gotten anything back yet. Don't really feel much desire to dress since I honestly believe I look better as a guy now. Of course I can't predict the future. You might find me thirty years from now in fishnets and a flaming red curly wig. Just one little favor: if you happen to have a gun in handy then, please shoot me.