Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wife's Brutal Honesty

Wife's Brutal Honesty

My wife and I spent Sunday shopping for new fall clothes for her. It was still a thrill to pick through and select tops and pants and and skirts and shoes with full knowledge of what is in style this season. We went from Kohls to Macy's to Dillard's and even Nordstrom's Rack. When we were shopping for skirts, she as usual, resisted wanting to get a skirt.

After this full day of shopping we ate grilled steaks with plenty of wine and we decided to hang out at home and unwind with a little Food Network. I had my computer on and decided to show her this website. This is where it gets a little tricky.

She told me "I will not be the wife who dresses her husband." "That's fine" I told her, " I never asked you to anyway." She told me that she read the books I bought (My husband wears my clothes, and My Husband Betty), and she saw the WE TV program The Secret Lives of Women. Then came the silver bullet.

She reminded me that all day I kept asking her why she didn't like to wear skirts. She told me it was because of the fem clothes I wear. This threw me. All week long I've tried to put away any guilt associated with her not wanting to wear feminine clothing...because of my desire to wear them. Since then my dressing has been greatly diminished, panties only. I've been quiet and distant, trying to figure out how to get her to be OK with being more feminine and not loose who I am in the process? Sorry for the long Post, but I would love to hear your comments.

Colleen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Feeling pretty on the inside.

Silver Member
    Stop trying to influence what your wife wears.

Do you want her to control your dressing? What she wears is her business. What you wear is yours. Let her know what you like and then step back.

Don't agonize over what someone else wants to wear.

JMHO

Steph

It could be that she's confused about your interest in her clothing, that she sees it as your interest in stocking a mutual wardrobe rather than appreciating what it does for her femininity; like the guy who keeps recommending the fish dishes at a restaurant no matter how much you repeat that you don't eat seafood. She maybe need a little romancing and reminding that she is who you married, not her wardrobe or your desire to be in - as in wearing - her panties.

Sounds like she is using reverse psychology to make you think. Give her the same freedom to dress as she likes as you want for yourself.

GypsyKaren
    I never even tried to tell my kids how to dress, I certainly wouldn't try it on an adult...leave her be.

Karen

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenCD
    ... , trying to figure out how to get her to be OK with being more feminine and not loose who I am in the process? ...
    It's not up to you to decide or insist on her style (as it shouldn't for her on yours (theoretically)).
    This is probably one of the biggest mistakes you can make. All you will reach is making her feel uncomfortable and setting yourself into a bad light.

(I know what I am talking about: Success temporary, damage enduring, feeling miserable)
    Last edited by Marla S; 09-01-2006 at 01:40 AM.

ol' Transgendisaurus Mandy Salamander's Avatar
    agreeing with karen (and others),,, i absolutely hate 't when somebody tries t' tell mee how i should dress!!!!! ~soooo, feel like they'd feel 'bout th' same,,,

Looks like a consensus to me.......

I would give her some space....It sounds like she is struggling with issues at the moment and any pressure could blow up in your face...

Skirts equal less freedom for women. You have to watch how you sit. You can't just bend over, you have to wear the right shoes, your legs need to be shaved. I remember a time when women couldn't wear anything else. The only time we could wear pants was under our skirts when it was 20 below zero. You HAD to wear a skirt to church and school. Growing up, the only shoes my mom owned was high heels, try doing that on a daily basis. The only women who don't have the freedom of wearing pants are the ones in kookie religious cults where the men dictate what the women wear, which is usually skirts.
    We fought for the right to wear pants and have freedom of choice for ourselves independant of men. Maybe your wife just wants you to stop nagging her about what YOU think is feminine for her to wear. Just an idea, I don't know your wife.

Skirts, etc.

I know what you are saying about skirts and stuff Kitty but just let anyone try to tell ME how to dress, sit, walk, talk, yadda, yadda. I'm my own person and not your "typical"(whatever THAT is) M T F CD (Whoda guessed?). Sometimes even my sisters get upset with me because I'm not "feminine" enough but hey, what you see is what you get and I'm not pretentious at all or "society oriented". I agree with you though, everyone should be free to wear what they want, especially women because this society has down trodden them in the past saying they "had" to wear certain things. What you wear is an expression of who you are. When I see a gal in casual comfortable wear, I say to myself "good for her, she's where she wants to be." Works for me. Ericka Kay

It seems to me....

Hi, Collen, it seems to me that your wife's only issue is not "skirts" but being married to a CD. feminine man. Its my modest opinion ( after reading your post) that she's not happy.Think about this hint:

"She told me "I will not be the wife who dresses her husband."

I get the impression that she's battling being married to another "woman".
    In general, lets not kid ourselves, our wives cope with us because they love us not because they love being with another woman.Otherwise they'll be lesbians and in that case it would be easier to find a GG.
    I came to the above conclusion from my own experience and statements made by my wife, like saying:
    " I like to see you at peace with yourself "...."You are happier when enfemme". In return I try to be like a girlfriend, by giving her my point of view when asked. Going shopping together makes her happy but I lift always her spirits and never impose my wishes, I just suggest.

Collen, being feminine or feeling like a woman, its not just wearing their clothes and have a female name, its learning to be like them.We were born in a male body with a female side in us. It requires to put behind our manly emotions and dress ourselves with the female persona.This creates a struggle that only each of us knows.
    Last edited by Jackie-Ann; 09-01-2006 at 07:20 AM.
    [SIZE="2"]I love to feel feminine[/SIZE]

Silver Member

No problem

So let her wear the pants in the family.

Being a GG

Hi,kittypw GG, its nice reading a post from a GG, indeed !!...I love history and anyone that studys it will find out the struggle that women went thru and they're going thru in our modern society around the world.
    Half of the population of the planet is under Muslim rule, I wouldn't like to be a woman in that environment, neither a CD, TS, etc.
    Women in our Western society had come a long way, indeed but its more ahead. Like you said:
    "We fought for the right to wear pants and have freedom of choice for ourselves independant of men. "
    Last edited by Jackie-Ann; 09-01-2006 at 07:23 AM.
    [SIZE="2"]I love to feel feminine[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Stephenie S View Post
    Stop trying to influence what your wife wears.

Do you want her to control your dressing? What she wears is her business. What you wear is yours. Let her know what you like and then step back.

Don't agonize over what someone else wants to wear.

JMHO

Steph
    Good post. My wife wears what she feels looks good on her...and I think that she has very good taste, and good sense, in what she buys and wears. Whether your wife wears skirts or not is up to her...not you...regardless of how you dress enfemme. Let her do her thing...and you do yours.

While it can be baffling to us why women may not want to wear feminine clothing, I can also relate to it because I'm not particularly fond of men's clothes either!
    I am only a cross dresser when I don't crossdress!

About Me: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...595#post306595

"I don't want the world to see me, cause I don't think that they'd understand. When everything's made to be broken, I just want you to know who I am" - Goo Goo Dolls

[SIZE="3"]www.HappyDressers.com[/SIZE] - Where cross dressers go to be happy!

~Dee~s GG always&forever ~Kitty GG~'s Avatar
    I agree with the general opinion here that its no fun having someone else tell you how to dress.

I agree with Kitty that skirts and heels can be very restrictive and not always fun or even situation appropriate.

I agree with Jackie Ann as well. It seems to me that your wife gave you some big clues about how she's not comfortable with your dressing.

And I think there could be another side to it as well. Its often about attracting the male eye or attention when we dress in a more feminine style. What if she doesn't feel like she's got a male eye to attract? Or that she's not in a place right now where she wants to be attractive?

In the end it comes down to actually asking her why.. and communicating about both of your thoughts, feelings, expectations etc. She's given you clues.. but actual facts are much more productive.

Love & Hugs
    ~Kitty~

I think we have to remember that women have worn skirts all there lives
    so its no thrill unlike us , my ex wife wore skirts when we first meet ,but rarely after that ,my gf rarely wears pants not to please me but because
    skirts and dresses fit her better than pants ,as for me I hate pants

this should ruffle some feathers with the gg s when my gf s friends and my sister complain to me
    they cant meet a nice guy , I say loose weight grow your hair and dress like
    a women . they dont like the answer but like it or not its true

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenCD View Post
    She reminded me that all day I kept asking her why she didn't like to wear skirts. She told me it was because of the fem clothes I wear. This threw me. All week long I've tried to put away any guilt associated with her not wanting to wear feminine clothing...because of my desire to wear them. Since then my dressing has been greatly diminished, panties only. I've been quiet and distant, trying to figure out how to get her to be OK with being more feminine and not loose who I am in the process? Sorry for the long Post, but I would love to hear your comments.
    Colleen, it didn't sound like you were trying to tell her how to dress to me. Sounded like a simple question. I've asked my wife the same, because she won't wear dresses or skirts. We never know the answer until we ask, right?!

As for figuring out how to get her to be OK with being more feminine, I wouldn't suggest even trying.

It implies she's not feminine enough for you, and I'm sure you don't really find that to be true. I suggest you simply compliment her on her appearance regardless of how she's dressed.

OK, now you are feeling down because you think it's your fault she won't wear a skirt. However, it doesn't seem to me that she misses wearing skirts. And it doesn't seem to me that she can't wear a skirt simply because you like to. Sounds like she's just made a decision on how she prefers to dress. So, it's not really your fault, it's her choice.

I think I know where your coming from though. We attended a semi-formal type TG Christmas Party, and my wife wouldn't wear a gown, dress or skirt, preferring a nice sweater and slacks while saying the dressing up and party was "my thing". All I could say (to myself) was, it's her choice.
    Last edited by DonnaT; 09-01-2006 at 05:29 PM.
    DonnaT

Strange... I seem to bring out the feminine part of my friends and loved ones when I tell them.

The girlfriend I came out to didn't change much, but some of my friends have been more feminine with me (in terms of style) since coming out to them.

I've had the opposite effect, it seems. But Marla S is quite right -- you shouldn't dictate your SO's style. You expect a freedom to express yourself; so should she.

Give and take.

Addition: I don't believe the epitimy of femininity is wearing a skirt. It's a gesture, an emotion, a look, a style... all of them and only one of them. Something more tangable than a skirt. You show her this, she'll be more comfortable.

[size=3]Hugs xx[/size]

[size=2]"You don't have to be fat to be a lady", Sophie 2006[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Hey, those are nice shoes, but they'd look better in my pants! ... I mean..." Robot Chicken, 2006[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"He's just said a word we don't understand! And he's won at scrabble with it!" - Eddie Izzard 1998[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Head over heels is fine, unless you're in stilettos." -The Beautiful South, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"Forgive me. Let live, me." - Antony and the Johnsons 2005[/size]
    [SIZE="1"]"We walk amoung you..." TransAmerica, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=3]THREAD SUCCESSFULLY HIJACKED[/size]

Wtf?

Quote Originally Posted by julie w View Post
    this should ruffle some feathers with the gg s when my gf s friends and my sister complain to me
    they cant meet a nice guy , I say loose weight grow your hair and dress like
    a women . they dont like the answer but like it or not its true
    FWIW you have also managed to ruffle the feathers of at least one CD...

Perhaps they mean they can't meet anyone other than shallow guys who resolutely refuse to look one millimeter below skin depth.

Sheesh.
    Erica
    For photos on flickr, my user name is cd_erica_f

Quote Originally Posted by EricaCD View Post
    FWIW you have also managed to ruffle the feathers of at least one CD...

Perhaps they mean they can't meet anyone other than shallow guys who resolutely refuse to look one millimeter below skin depth.

Sheesh.
    Erica
    Erica,
    YOU GO GIRL I couldn't have said it better myself. Thanks for speaking for a lot of us.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by julie w View Post
    this should ruffle some feathers with the gg s when my gf s friends and my sister complain to me they cant meet a nice guy , I say loose weight grow your hair and dress like a women . they dont like the answer but like it or not its true
    WTF! ruffle the feathers with the GGs?! You are joking right?....this is a wind up just to annoy people, right?

That is such a misogynistic statement to me
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

[QUOTE=ColleenCD;547982]
    She told me "I will not be the wife who dresses her husband." "That's fine" I told her, " I never asked you to anyway." She told me that she read the books I bought (My husband wears my clothes, and My Husband Betty), and she saw the WE TV program The Secret Lives of Women. Then came the silver bullet.

I am Melanie shown in the WE program with wife Peggy. I have to clarify that Peggy never dresses me. Yes, when she first met Melanie 25 years ago she said I needed help and I did. The WE director wanted to show Peggy dressing me and putting on my makeup but Peggy told them that I do not need any help with clothes and makeup. However, she does help me with my hair.

Your wife obviously needs more time to come to her level of understanding and acceptance of your crossdressing. Many wives do see their husbands as putting the woman in the mirror above them and they may feel threatened by the "other woman". Many CD's find a higher level of understanding and acceptance when they ask their wives for advice regarding clothing, makeup, etc. and put themselves in their wife's hands Some wives may refuse this request.

In my 26 years of being a part of the TG community and communicating with thousands of CD's and wives, I will say again that wives who come to a higher level of acceptance and understanding are those who have higher self estemn and acceptance, are confident of their husband's love and commitment, and themselves have found a good balance with their own femininity and masculinity. At the many TG conventions and support groups I have attended usually the CD's are the ones in skirts - not the wives. And that is their choice. Do they wear the pants because they have lost some of their femininity as a reaction to their husbands being in a skirt? Some may but most have not. My hope is that more wives will be like Peggy who sees her husband no matter what he/she is wearing.

Hugs,

Melanie
    I love being "gender gifted"! www.pmpub.com

Gee, my wife bought a skirt for herself, but decided it looked better on me than her....BJ

I can't wear my wife's skirts (or pants) they're too big for me, they fall right off my skinny hips. It seems I don't wear the pants in this family. :-)
    We sometimes discuss her clothing, I know what I like to see her in, but it's not her preferred style.
    As to the comment that was made by Julie W, it's true that if you want to attract a man's attention, you have to be noticable to him, if you just look like everyone else, a man won't notice you and won't be attracted to you. That's just a fact of "normal" male attraction. Men are usually sexually attracted to a woman before they take the time to get to know them as a person. Just basic male biology, like it or not. Men are pigs, what can I say.