Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: unpredictable reaction

Quote Originally Posted by Penny View Post
    Gender brainwashing effects everyone differently. It is amazing though, how many people don't realize their not thinking for themselves!

Penny
    Penny, I think that sums it up well.

Sandy

My dad was my biggest surprise... He doesn't want to talk about my TGism. End of, really. xx

[size=3]Hugs xx[/size]

[size=2]"You don't have to be fat to be a lady", Sophie 2006[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Hey, those are nice shoes, but they'd look better in my pants! ... I mean..." Robot Chicken, 2006[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"He's just said a word we don't understand! And he's won at scrabble with it!" - Eddie Izzard 1998[/size]
    [SIZE=1]"Head over heels is fine, unless you're in stilettos." -The Beautiful South, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=1]"Forgive me. Let live, me." - Antony and the Johnsons 2005[/size]
    [SIZE="1"]"We walk amoung you..." TransAmerica, 2005[/SIZE]
    [size=3]THREAD SUCCESSFULLY HIJACKED[/size]

unless you plan to go full time why would you tell people ? there is a
    very big risk that they wont be supportive, most people aren,t

I belong to a church that is supposed to be tolerant of everyone. Although the church has a Christian background it doesn't preach from the Bible. One of the very long time members surprised me one Sunday when I asked jokingly if he was going to see the Gay Pride parade the next weekend.

He said he didn't believe in that stuff and it wasn't right. When I asked more about it he said that was what the Bible said.

I was somewhat shocked that here was a person who was going through the motions of love and acceptance of everyone week after week, year after year, and not believing in any of it at all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

All of my close GG friends know about me. Some of them have been the most supporting.

I have had only two really negative reactions. Both from women that I thought 'fur sure' would have supported me. Both were very liberal women. Advocated Gay and lesbian rights, ect, ect. Both have disowned me and won't have anything to do with me anymore. The upside is that both are savy enough not to say anything to anyone else at work. Wouldn't look good to oppress a minority, you know!!!!!!!

On the other hand my make-up lady is a fundy Christian who is sure that I am 'gay'. But; she has taken me out to lunch once ( to prove to me that know one would look twice at me), and we talk for hours when she comes to visit ( and not about religion).

Actually the girls that are the coolest with me are on the Conservative side. Anyone else have the same reaction?

Merry Christmas,

Michelle

My GG friend who knows about me is supportive, but with reservations. We discuss cross dressing issues all the time. She has given me clothing, shoes, purses, etc. We have gone shopping together. But I have noticed that she will do just about anything to avoid seeing me in drag even though she denys that. Then the other day we were talking about negative reactions that people have to cross dressing. Specifically SO's. She said "I don't have a problem with you or anyone else dressing, but there is absolutely no way I would tolerate it if it was my husband."

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Before I met my wife, I was very friendly with a GG friend (platonic relationship) and she always "talked the talk" and "walked the walk" of being tolerant and accepting of almost everything different in society - that's to say in a general sense when she encountered it. Anyway, to cut a long boring story short, we were on vacation together (just the two of us) and one alcohol soaked evening I came out to her about being a CDer. Guess what? It changed everything.....for the worse!!! She was not at all accepting. It was very much a case of "not in my backyard, thank you very much!"
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Very interesting topic. I believe from personal experience and from all the stories I've heard from my TG friends over the years that it is nearly impossible to predict who will and won't react negatively. I know of people with extremely liberal, progressive values who have completely freaked out and refused to accept it, and I know of other rather old-fashioned, traditional types who didn't bat an eye. You'd think the length and closeness of your relationship with the person would make a difference, but nope, that doesn't seem to be the case either.

I have told this story here before, but I had a good GG friend whom I was on the verge of telling about our lifestyle. She is very sweet and understanding, has a reputation for being nonjudgmental, and is good friends with a gay guy at her work, plus we had shared a lot of secrets already. But just before I told her, she coincidentally told me a story about a guy she used to date and how she found out that he was a CD and it disgusted her. I still remember her saying "And to think I actually kissed him! Ewww!" Needless to say I never came out to her after that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And if the people stare
    Then the people stare
    Oh, I really don't know and I really don't care....

--The Smiths

Smile

[SIZE="2"]My wife is not totally accepting about my dresing but she says that it's me. We share some clothing. She commented that I have better outfits than she does. She still doesn't know that I go out dressed.

Gennee
    [/SIZE]
    I'm getting better with age. I may have started late, but better late than never!

"Don't let anyone define who you are".

Quote Originally Posted by princessmichelle View Post
    Hi,

I've been struck by the unpredictability of who will be supportive, and wonder if anyone else has had similar (or different!) experiences.

For example, a coworker who is one of the sweetest people on the planet, and I would have predicted that she would be tolerant. WRONG! I once asked how her vacation was, and she told me of a nice time, but added that "...there was a guy dressed as a woman, which is obviously disgusting..."

Have you ever been surprised by who is or is not supportive?

princessmichelle
    Yes I have. It seems to me that the "girly girl" type GG's are often offended by us, and the "Tom Boy" girls are OK with it. I think maybe the tom boy's didn't appreciate being shoved into roles and images that they didn't care for and so tend to be more forgiving of others that don't fit the stereo types.
    Kim (Once again acting like I have a clue when I know darn well I don't)

Quote Originally Posted by JennyRotten View Post
    Sounds like that c**t needs a well placed 5.56mm round :mad:
    OUCH! I think a round from an M16 is a bit much! (I almost said "over kill" <G>)
    Kim

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar

Worst case scenario

The first person I ever told was my older sister. I had made preperations to be disowned from the family as a result of my telling her about my CDing. She suprised me with her repsonse. She had no problems what so ever and even agreed to take me shopping several times.

When I told my SO I also came up with a worse case scenario that she would not only reject me but also tell all of my friends and co workers and I would get fired from my job. I was even more suprised when she not only accepted my coming out but wanted to have dinner with me completley dressed the following week Jocelyn

Aspiring Member
    she told me of a nice time, but added that "...there was a guy dressed as a woman, which is obviously disgusting..."
    I wonder, does she really think it's disgusting, or was she only taught to think that way (and thus she may be susceptible to changing her mind if her assumptions are challenged)?

I guess if you want to test some waters, come back from vacation with a story about "I was at XYZ and there was a crossdresser there." (You don't have to mention that it was you or that you were in drab.) Anyhow, you can see everyone's reactions. Warning: People may ask how the CD was dressed or what was your reaction. Replying with, "I thought I looked pretty darn good," might not help you keep your secret...

Recently, several unlinked groups in my life have had a similar conversation about seeing men dressed. They could be hinting that they have their suspicions about me, but that is another subject. Generally the reactions were of gentle amusement, which was better than I was expecting, and certainly no aggressively negative reactions. Of course they were all referring to "strangers" and I am not sure if the reaction would be the same for someone they knew better (if for instance I was to confide in some of my co-workers). Probably could summarise as "degrees of separation"

One unpredictable reaction I had was when at a fancy dress party, doing a very poor impression of Cher (which I shall save for another thread). A mature lady, pillar of the community, was very excited seeing me dressed up.

Helena

Short Skirts & Long Legs

Sweet ? I think not !!!

Hon I work with people like that every day...just be glad you got the heads up now...

Some how people who eat you up to your face are usually the ones who would twist the knife after you're dead...

...that is the kind I love to, excuse the pun kill with kindness...keeps them on edge looking for that knife.
    Last edited by Marcie Sexton; 12-27-2006 at 07:01 PM. Reason: spellinga

Hi all,
    Kitty, get your own place; you'll love the freedom you have to do as you please.

I was surprised that my wife accepted me when I told her. Of course we've been married 30 years. But her viewpoint is that it's like a disease; she asked me once if I thought "it" was getting worse. That almost surprised me more!

Content and Happy
    I like the show and tell approach. This is who I am and how I look. Since I'm not hidding anything, they can't say anything, except behind my back. But that is where my butt is, so enjoy.

Lanore

Banned Read only
    i have more good reactions to being a cd then i do when people find out i'm a lawyer / they perk up when i tell them i retired, till they find out how i retired when i was 30 years old

Quote Originally Posted by ColleenCD View Post
    Co-workers rarely present their full support for CDing due to societal opinions. If the desire to be Outed at work outweighs the need for a safe employment environment, then enjoy. We are all tempted to have some level of support from our associates at work, but ramifications such as strained relationships, or backlash from employers make the risk too great.

This sight is essential for for me to have those I KNOW understand and accept me as I am. Much safer than the workplace.

Colleen
    you will have some people approve which would be great, but you also would have a few non-supporters out there Is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Golightly View Post
    I tend to approach with the Agent Mulder 'Trust no-one' ethos... That way I'm often pleasantly surprised rather than disappointed.

That's also my mantra Lisa.
    What they don't know, can't hurt them (or me!)
    Only 1 person knows about my penchant for dressing, and that is my beloved wife....apart from my wife, no-one else needs to know.

Okay this thread is just convincing me all the more that people are pretty much nuts

But seriously folks...

I think that when we get negative reactions from people we would not have expected to get them from, it only proves that some people are not as open minded and tolerant as they think they are or claim to be!

Sounds like since you're using the past tense she's no longer your friend? If so, methinks it's just as well

Quote Originally Posted by Marla GG View Post
    Very interesting topic. I believe from personal experience and from all the stories I've heard from my TG friends over the years that it is nearly impossible to predict who will and won't react negatively. I know of people with extremely liberal, progressive values who have completely freaked out and refused to accept it, and I know of other rather old-fashioned, traditional types who didn't bat an eye. You'd think the length and closeness of your relationship with the person would make a difference, but nope, that doesn't seem to be the case either.

I have told this story here before, but I had a good GG friend whom I was on the verge of telling about our lifestyle. She is very sweet and understanding, has a reputation for being nonjudgmental, and is good friends with a gay guy at her work, plus we had shared a lot of secrets already. But just before I told her, she coincidentally told me a story about a guy she used to date and how she found out that he was a CD and it disgusted her. I still remember her saying "And to think I actually kissed him! Ewww!" Needless to say I never came out to her after that.