Thread: Union & work

Union & work

I girls, thought i would let you know i got brave today & talked with my union rep on transgendered people. Asked what union & company policy was. She wasn't sure so she checked, this is what was said so far. " you can not be fired, anyone give me any harasment they will be fired". Also said i have a right to be happy. The shocker for me was they are looking into which restroom they would have to let me use legally.
    I know its not much but i did get my guts up to ask & i hope that i will be paving a good road for others to follow. I will say its is scary out on that limb alone but i know i have all my sisters here.
    I hope this encourages others to be bold & take that next step.
    Have a wonderful evening all.
    ,Janelle

Way to go, Janelle. I know that must have taken a lot of nerve to do that.

Karen Sue

Good look

Take it slow.

Anna

What union are you in? What state are you in? the laws may differ from state to state, so anything that happens, or not happens too you, my not be the case in a different state. I wish you the very best.
    keep on gurlin everyone. paula may

Quote Originally Posted by janelle View Post
    " you can not be fired, anyone give me any harasment they will be fired". Also said i have a right to be happy.
    Right the hell on!!

And good for you for asking!

Good for you for asking, and good luck with the results. I'd like to know what union you're in too, and what state.
    warmly, Linnea

Congrats. I know it must have taken alot of courage to ask that question.

Hell, I'm still totally in the closet.

Well done girl, another step forward in the right direction. Sounds like you have a greta place to work. Hope it all pans out just as well for you.
    Hugs to all
    Samantha

Wow!! that took guts. Good for you!!

You Go Girl , reading posts like this gives more hope for a future where we can be free to be who we are with out being persicuted for it

Quote Originally Posted by Wenda View Post
    Wow!! that took guts. Good for you!!
    I'll second that!!

Hugs.

For those that want to know, i am a member of lodge 21, the district 66 of the International association of Machinists & Aerospace Workers, AFL-CIO.

As i said this was a step, time will tell when my next action will take place. I know when i do move, i will lose some friends, yet with me wearing nail polish it seems some of the girls are hagging around me more. Maybe that is wishful thinking for acceptense, i don't know.

I would say to all you girls to look at your goals, & the things in your life holding you back & make a plan to ask ?'s of those in the way. Take it slow as we have heard here so many times, we can still enjoy who we are. This is what i am doing & many things are openning in my NEW life but it is true there is a price to pay........................TONS OF FUN. No really there is a price, it could be friends, family & maybe depending on laws your jobs but how will you know if you don't ask & make that first move & believe me each time you do sometime its the first move. Many of us are trying to make away for others to follow. Be proud of who you are, as you can see i am. Have faith in yourself. Let those that love you help in anyway they can, be very open & honest & most of all, i think, be true to yourself.

Take care ladies & again i hope this encourages others to be bold.
    Love you all,have a wonderful day, i will.

,Janelle

I don't remember if i said which state as someone has asked, it is Wisconsin.
    Thanks all.
    Janelle
    Last edited by uknowhoo; 09-13-2006 at 01:53 PM. Reason: consec

I admire your courage and wish you the best. Wisconsin? Maybe its time to relocate.

Just a woman, period joanlynn28's Avatar
    I'm proud of you Janelle, I too will be making that first big step just like you. I myself am a fellow machinist sister Local 389 Dist 94 in Sothern California. I have been a solid union member for over 27years and I know how it can be with our fellow union brothers and sisters. I have been a union steward, safety rep, trustee, and member of the building association. Anyway let me just say that we have to remain strong and remind our union brother and sisters what we stand for, the IAM slogan comes to mind "Justice on the Job, Service to the Community". Lets make them remember to put it to practice. And here in California there is a state statute that prohibits descrimination based on gender orientation.
    Joan Lynn

Just a girl stranded on her little red island amongst a lovely sea of blue.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, for those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    Dr. Seuss

if you are in transition you have to tell your union .but dont expect the other
    employees not say derogatory comments behind you back including the union
    so you must be prepared for it , which is the hardest thinks to do, but you
    have to deal with it if you want to move on .
    I have witnessed the things people say about someone that had a sex change
    at the company that I work for , good luck and as the british say keep a stiff
    upper lip

Please be careful. Gypsy Karen thought she had the support of her union too but when crunch time came they hid under a rock.

Kimberley.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.transgenderlondon.com

Venus and Mars are not aligned; Good thing.
    Where are all the rumballs?
    I may not soar with eagles, but then weasels dont get sucked into jet engines...

RE: Union

I worked for a Union and the human rights coodinador for the international was great in helping people transition on the job. GREAT LETS HEAR IT FOR THE UNION!!!!!!!
    PIXIE

Banned Read only
    I.A.T.S.E. Local 16 - AFL/CIO (International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employes, Moving Picture Technicians, Artists and Allied Crafts), - and since its show biz, we ARE strange & damn proud of it too! We have many members who have transistioned, going both ways.

As our brothers and sisters in the Longshoremen's Union say:

"An Injury to One is an Injury to All

DON'T SHOP AT WALLMART!

GypsyKaren
    My union, United Steelworkers, swore they'd protect me, "we're behind you on this, blah blah blah blah blah." When I did need them, they promptly sat on their hands like I didn't exist. So I am now retired, that's the price I paid for wanting to be me. They basicaly sold me out, they gave me up so they could get someone else back in return. I guess in my area trannies are low on the totem pole. Talk is cheap, and they did talk a good game, but they ran as soon as the whistle blew.

Karen

I would not trust my union to do anything for me, not even a simple problem But good for you Janelle and good luck!
    DanaJ

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My employment is in a non-Union situation. Although we have anti-discrimination laws here in the UK, I do not know how a TV would get on in my place of work which is quite strongly male, at least in the workshops. Whilst the Managers would be unlikely to sack them for their lifestyle, they would come in for a lot of alienation, I regret to say, from other workers. I only dress at home and unless someone saw my panties under my male trousers or jeans they would have no way of knowing about my CD side, as I don't wear make-up, don't paint my nails, wear ear-rings or other such items. There is also the point that although they could not sack someone for being a TV, the Bosses could easily find some other reason to terminate their employment, apparently unconnected with their CD side. We do have a couple of male Homosexuals and I think at least one Lesbian but no CDs as far as I am aware, at least none who have come "Out" and dress en-femme at work.
    [SIZE="5"]Helen[/SIZE]

Good for you girl,im proud of you keep us all posted wont you

Banned Read only
    There is more than one way to boot an employee that they deem undesireable, so if a person is smart, they would not put alltheir faith in what is told them. A lot of national guard and reserve troops were also told their jobs are safe, and they cold not be fired for attending 2 week mandatory summer camps and other deployments. Yet lots have been fired over the years, for just that, but thats not what their termination papers stated. Its so easy to get sufficieint reason if necessary to fire anyone for anything, the main reason doe snot even have to be addressed to get rid of you.....Unless you have a job you can fall back on and have what happend to you not follow you I certainly would not place any faith in any other union or co worker....

We had a person in transition, and I think GM did more for her, then the union. Good luck and best wishes for a smooth transition.
    Not counting weekends, holidays or vacation days, I have 58 more drive ups, till retirement....BJ