Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wigs, Who Needs Them

wigs

Hello i this is the site i get my wigs from check it out http://www.paulayoung.com/

I need them!

I don't feel complete without a wig. When I place a wig atop my head it is my "crowning glory" and it is then I feel the most femme.

I do believe however you need to try wigs on at the shop, we have all seen the difference between the way a wig looks online and the way it looks on your head fresh from the plastic.

I also think the ladies that recommend a cut to fit you face are correct that is the ideal.

Also I fully recommend that one wear makeup when trying on a wig to get a feel for the way it will look when dressed.

Quote Originally Posted by krisybryant View Post
    Is anyone else having problems with wigs? I'm so frustrated I about threw my one 'neckline' wig out the window. It looks bad. I look like a guy in a bad wig. I think I spent about $40 on it. I really don't want to try and exchange it but dang it.

Part of my problem is I don't like hair in my face - I'm not used to it in drab - so should I get used to it? Is that just a girls life?
    I personally never had an issue with price. Had great wigs for 40 bucks and tried lousy ones which were much more expensive (didn't buy them). That's not the main point. The real issue is, how is your face shaped compared to what wig cut will improve it. Unless you have a keen sense of aesthetics (many girls don't) you should probably go to a stylist and ask for advice. And if you are closeted, look over the Internet, not for commercial ads but for generic beauty advice on face shapes, shadow lines, etc. Don't fall for what looks awesome on some model's face. Ask an expert what really works on you -be it a cheap synthetic thing or an expensive, top of the line human hair.
    Last edited by Sky; 09-13-2006 at 06:13 PM.

I could never find wigs that I could afford in my size. Large. My solution is to let my hair grow. I prefer it that way anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by GG Vanya View Post
    Jennaie,

Some great styles in the Margu collection! I love the "Lucky" in the Elements section. Hell, I just might buy one for myself.
    I love that wig also Vanya. I believe that wig comes without the bangs cut, so you will have to have it cut and styled, but that is a given with any wig for me.
    [SIZE="3"]Jennaie`[/SIZE]

One more step... outside! Francine's Avatar

I do

with out the wig.. >>>>

and I had $40 wigs.. had mind you.
    Now, wigs are an 'investiment' and I only have two, the 'cheapest' costing about $120 monofilament wig, (the one in the avatar/profile pics)

Francine
    "Flatter me, and I may not believe you.
    Critisize me and I may not like you.
    Ignore me and I may not forgive you.
    Encourage me ... and I will never forget you!"

Living and Enjoying Life Kristen Kelly's Avatar
    [SIZE="3"]I have 6 different wigs, but I am trying to grow out my own hair to a bob/shag cut, it is presently brunette with blonde highlights a little shorter than I want.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="3"]Life Begins When You Stop Worrying What Other People Think[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]
    Walk TALL SMILE and be CONFIDENT all will be OK
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]It's Brave to be Different, Be Brave Too, Accept Me for Who I am ![/SIZE]

If at all possible, buy your wigs from a wig store, let them help you pick out a wig that will suit you.

Ideally, you should get it trimmed and styled to fit your face, but at least have it professionally styled so that you can see it's true potential, as synthetic wigs don't look very good straight from the box, and require more than a shake to make them look really good.

Get a wig brush with metal teeth, the brushes with synthetic fiber teeth will cause massive static electricity problems.

Good luck!
    Carol
    My name is Carol.

Thanks for all the advise ladies. I think I know what I must do now. This wig was more of an impulse/convenient purchase with my pumps.
    There's more here than meets the eye.
    Much Love,
    Krisy

After some suggestions on here I got an idea and tried real hair conditioner. I put about 1/4 cup in to a sink on room temp water and mixed it up really well then using my wig comb combed in the mix. It helped take out the tangles and frize and take it down a notch. It's not a too bad wig after all. I will shop for a longer one though and higher quality (price).

Thanks for the suggestions/brandnames.
    There's more here than meets the eye.
    Much Love,
    Krisy

I had hair back when I was younger that women would always compliment me on - and I liked that! It never bothered me as it was MY hair.

My wig is itchy, gets in my face, and like Lisa said "Staticy"....

But it does the trick. My natural hair is flat and I have to fluff it up until it gets longer...6 more months and i'd go out without a wig, otherwise it will be a wig....

This time nobody will convince me to cut it!!!!

I also realized if you keep it trimmed and looking neat as it grows - it comes out better...

Wigs are temperamental for sure, but I got mine at wiggoddess.com - very pleased with it, Henry Margu series....
    Scottie
    You must dare to disassociate yourself from those who would delay your journey... Leave, depart, if not physically, then mentally.
    Go your own way, quietly, undramatically, and venture toward trueness at last.

-- Vernon Howard