Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wigs, Who Needs Them

Wigs, Who Needs Them

Is anyone else having problems with wigs? I'm so frustrated I about threw my one 'neckline' wig out the window. It looks bad. I look like a guy in a bad wig. I think I spent about $40 on it. I really don't want to try and exchange it but dang it.

Part of my problem is I don't like hair in my face - I'm not used to it in drab - so should I get used to it? Is that just a girls life?
    There's more here than meets the eye.
    Much Love,
    Krisy

wigs can definately be annoying. I have one with bangs, so i don't really have a problem with hair in my face, but I can relate with how they don't look quite right. try to find one that matches your own hair colour/type, and that'll make it a bit better. also, i think you can get wigs specially fitted to your head, but I'm not sure how much they cost.

Wigs are very difficult to buy. I don't think you need a human hair wig for it to look real. Actually, I do not like human hair wigs. I do think you need to spend more than 40 dollars if you want a wig that looks real. But don't throw your wig in the trash. When I buy a wig I make an appointment at a beauty salon to have the wig cut and styled on me. That makes a huge difference.

I would suggest that you purchase a quality wig from either a local store or someone on the net who knows what they are doing. I bought my wig from the the wig goddess, http://www.wiggoddess.com/ I sent my pic to her and ask her to help me find a wig that would look good on me.

She did a good job picking it out and I then had it cut and styled at a beauty salon. I am very happy with it.

Unless you want to spend a thousand dollars on a european human hair wig, I would not waste my money on one that only cost a couple hundred. I perfer synthetic wigs that cost between 90 and 140.

I love the Henry Margu collection and the price is money well spent.

One of the comments that I love to hear from my friends is that the wig does not have that "wig" look.

Good Luck.
    [SIZE="3"]Jennaie`[/SIZE]

Nope, never really have a prolem, mine are all human hair but tey require a lot of maintenance vs the synthetics.... Maybe you should think about paying more and getting a professional fitting at a salon? Just an idea..

I had up to 16 wigs at one time, down to 4 now and thinking of getting a cute short bob or a medium page boy...

Love Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Gold Member
    Who needs them, I do, I'm not Tina till I put it on, pure and simple, and I just spent a good hour on it tonight washing it and brushing it, I think it will look like the day I wore it home

Jennaie and Karren thanks. Both of you look so good in yours, it shows you know your hair.
    There's more here than meets the eye.
    Much Love,
    Krisy

I'm sure you will find you look better in a wig where the hair falls at least to your shoulders. I know I found that to be true. I just can't wear short wigs.
    Yes,the hair in the face is hard to get used to, but, in time, dealing with it becomes second nature. I find myself unconsciously kinda shaking my head or flicking the hair back with my fingers. It's kinda fun.

Vikki

Thanks....Well, it does take time to get the look you want and you may have to go through a few wigs before you find one you like or that fits your face....

I always considered hair as being fun so I enjoy different styles and colors...

Love Karren

.......My Photos

Banned Read only
    Deep South, the land of Magnolia trees, Mint Juleps on the verandah ,hoop skirts & antebellum homes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennaie View Post
    Wigs are very difficult to buy. I don't think you need a human hair wig for it to look real. Actually, I do not like human hair wigs. I do think you need to spend more than 40 dollars if you want a wig that looks real. But don't throw your wig in the trash. When I buy a wig I make an appointment at a beauty salon to have the wig cut and styled on me. That makes a huge difference.

I would suggest that you purchase a quality wig from either a local store or someone on the net who knows what they are doing. I bought my wig from the the wig goddess, http://www.wiggoddess.com/ I sent my pic to her and ask her to help me find a wig that would look good on me.

She did a good job picking it out and I then had it cut and styled at a beauty salon. I am very happy with it.

Unless you want to spend a thousand dollars on a european human hair wig, I would not waste my money on one that only cost a couple hundred. I perfer synthetic wigs that cost between 90 and 140.

I love the Henry Margu collection and the price is money well spent.

One of the comments that I love to hear from my friends is that the wig does not have that "wig" look.

Good Luck.

Jennaie,

Some great styles in the Margu collection! I love the "Lucky" in the Elements section. Hell, I just might buy one for myself.

Action crossdresser Marlena Dahlstrom's Avatar
    A $40 wig is in the "party wig" level of quantity and usually looks like a bad wig. In the $90-140 range, you'll get a good quality wig that can look quite realistic.

You can find styles that don't have bangs, for example the one I my photos is the Soiree from Tress Allure. Yes, the hair sometimes gets in my face, but you get used to it.

Finding the right style and color that work for you can take some experimentation, so I'd start off by shopping at someplace that will help provide advice. For the online place, as Jennaie mentioned, you can usually email them a photo or two. (Wig Salon and Wilshire Wigs are a good online places to shop as well.)
    Lena

A dream? What is a dream, but a blueprint for courageous action.

http://www.adahlshouse.com

Quote Originally Posted by krisybryant View Post
    Is anyone else having problems with wigs? I'm so frustrated I about threw my one 'neckline' wig out the window. It looks bad. I look like a guy in a bad wig. I think I spent about $40 on it. I really don't want to try and exchange it but dang it.

Part of my problem is I don't like hair in my face - I'm not used to it in drab - so should I get used to it? Is that just a girls life?
    A GG I know told me to just give the wig a really good shake. It becomes more natural looking. Believe it or not this seems to work. Use a feminine gesture to brush the hair out of your face. See how many news reporters do this when they are outside.

Karen Sue

I've currently got two wigs, they're alseep right now or I'd let them post this reply, maybe in the morning when they get up? Now on a serious note, B Flat or is it A Major Tom? I've always disliked the way my wigs make my head sweat. Methinks it's mostly due to the huge expanse of exposed skin up top. I too had to get used to having hair touching my face, gots me some really skittish skin don't ya know? It's really touchy that way, but then again if I were stretched across this bone structure I'd be a bit touchy as well. Once I've got the epidermis all settled down I kinda like the feel of the hair grazing my face though, feels feminine and oh so girly ya know? Okay.....okay??? where did the topic of discussion get off to? Be back once I find it again.

Kiss Kiss and Buh Bye Bye, Honey (The Bunny) Lynn

Banned Read only
    I used to wear my hair long,when I was much younger,but stress and age has turned me hair grey,I never needed a wig.Now I wear my hair short,but if were to wear a wig,I'd want a Betty Boop hair style wig.
    Boop Boop Dee Boop

If you really want a natural looking wig then save up and go for a high quality wig which will set up back about $200. Compared to a $40 wig, its like stepping up from a Mini to a Ferrari, the differece really is that great. Spending $40 on a cheap wig is just throwing your money away.

Buy wigs from named brands. I have several from Lious Ferre which are so good I thought it was human hair. Not only do they look natural but the way the hair hangs and moves is also spot on. Also these wigs have special filament tops which allow you to part the hair in a natural fashion. They are the only ones I own which really are as good as they look in the advertisement pictures.

It is also advisable to stick with something close to your natural hair color so that your skin type, eyebrows etc all blend in well. That usually means staying away from the blond wigs.

I found wigs quite annoying way back when I used them... I used to attack it with a brush and ended up going out like a static electricity experiment gone wrong. So, after a series of headaches caused by tight wigs, I decided to grow my hair... I've been poked in the eye by it, got it trapped in the car window, and eaten it so often now I don't really remember what it was like have short hair... Still, now when I attack it with a brush I look like a static electricity experiment gone wrong... *sigh*
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

Raksha's My Dreamboat Tracy_Victoria's Avatar
    I think I spent about $40 on it. I really don't want to try and exchange it but dang it.
    $40 dollars is nothing for a wig, and probably the reason you can't do anything with it. the saying is buy cheap, buy twice, and with wigs, never is there a more true saying. a lot of far east counties have jumped on the cheap wig trade, as it is quote boyant, hence like most things there is good and bad.

the cheaper far eastern stuff either is badly cut, poorly made or cut, or the fibres fall out at an alarming rate. As with anything cheap sometimes you can find a pearl, but you have to open a lot of oysters to find them. Hence it better just to invest in a better quality wig in the first place.

instead of buying several cheap wigs invest in one good one, and if possable try it on, even if you have to travel to try it, there is nothing like having the right wig, and when you do, it will enhance your fem look ten fold. also stick to good brands, ie noriko, Rene of Paris, Amore, Revlon, etc, and if you must, post a question on a wig you like in the beauty section. Others may have or have tried the wig you want to by.

lastly you don't need to spend a fortune, check the close out (tag) clearance, (end of line) stuff, I've bought $300 dollar wigs for $50 dollars, but they only came in a few colours. so it worth checking.

Yes, the same as RG have, but some of them hate it as well, which means they use clips and grips, and as well! So as holding the hair out of your eyes they can be used to secure the wig to your real hair also with practice.

Lastly start with a fibre/synthetic wig, they are much easier to use and store over real hair, and they normally will come good with a quick shake and comb!

Good luck
    Cya

Tracy

[SIZE="2"]The nail that stands out the most, is the one that is hammered down the hardest![/SIZE]

The repeated sugestion that price equalls satisfaction is WRONG!!!

Try lots, and check the price last!

My best wig is an ebay Hong Kong ten dollar gem. I went back to seller for another without highlights (see avatar) I was so pleased.
    Nothing human can be alien to me.

Those who restrain desire, do so because theirs is weak enough to be restrained.
    -William Blake

"Anyone who knows how to run a household, knows how to run the world."
    -- Xilonem Garcia, a Meshika elder in Mexico

ol' Transgendisaurus Mandy Salamander's Avatar
    [SIZE="2"]okay,,, first suggestion, try Beautytrends,(www.BeautyTrends.com),, they carry a large selection of reasonably priced,($40-179) wigs of decent quality, and usually have close-out styles on sale cheap,(i just got 2 formerly $150 wigs for $10 and $20),, and they have an annual clearance sale on many styles usually 'round mid-december,,,and NO ONE,(not wilshire, wig salon or wig goddess) absolutely NO ONE sells Revlon or Adolfo styles as cheaply!!! and their customer service 's excellant, 'f y' order online y'll have your wig 'n less than a week, 'n their girls have always,always been very sweet t' mee on th' phone, 'n never a problem with returns,,,,,,,,,, now,,, that being said, i, personally prefer, 'n strongly recommend, finding a local wig salon where you can try on 'n get assistance finding appropriate styles 'n colors,( i found a lovely Korean lady locally, who 's extraordinarily helpful),,, maybe a mid-length curly/wavy style that feathers back away from your face,,, 'n give y'self time t' get used t' your new look b'fore trashing th' wig,,, some wigs doo take a good deal of work, or "breaking in" b'fore they look natural, sometimes i think i oughta jus' let th' dog play with 'm for a couple days first!!,,, i've only been wearing wigs for about 5 years now, soooo i doo sympathize,,, i doo soooo miss my hair,, am even considering hair replacement surgery, maaaaaaybe!!!,,,,, anyhoots, good luck 'n your search!!! [/SIZE]

Wigs

I dance a lot, so hair in my face is normal. Also in my mouth, etc. but moving around like that makes it go all over (and I DO move--mostly club music). As far a wearing the wigs, I have no option as I'm bald. unless I want to look like Kojak in a dress (which I may try sometime anyway). Ericka Kay

ol' Transgendisaurus Mandy Salamander's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericka Richards View Post
    As far a wearing the wigs, I have no option as I'm bald. unless I want to look like Kojak in a dress (which I may try sometime anyway). Ericka Kay
    [SIZE="2"]LOL,,,,, not trying t' drag th' post off subject, but whilst we're there,,, been sitting in with my nephew's punk rock band while they look for real replacements, 'f this 's to continue for a while, have really considered carving what's left of my real hair into a mohawk, 'n keeping th' ponytail,,, thinking,,, might not be such a bad femme look!!!!!,,,,, tho' likely a bit inappropriate f' my age,,, not t' mention my job!!![/SIZE]

Mohawk

Quote Originally Posted by Mandy Salamander View Post
    [SIZE="2"]LOL,,,,, not trying t' drag th' post off subject, but whilst we're there,,, been sitting in with my nephew's punk rock band while they look for real replacements, 'f this 's to continue for a while, have really considered carving what's left of my real hair into a mohawk, 'n keeping th' ponytail,,, thinking,,, might not be such a bad femme look!!!!!,,,,, tho' likely a bit inappropriate f' my age,,, not t' mention my job!!![/SIZE]
    Sounds neat Mandy. Give it a "shot". You can always wear a "wig" if the look doesn't work. I didn't get where I am today (!?) by being timid. Ericka Kay

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GG Vanya View Post
    Jennaie,

Some great styles in the Margu collection! I love the "Lucky" in the Elements section. Hell, I just might buy one for myself.
    Better send me picture then

Raksha's My Dreamboat Tracy_Victoria's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ellaine View Post
    The repeated sugestion that price equalls satisfaction is WRONG!!!
    Correct!

But price equal quality and that the difference!

I also post on a board for hair loss, that I have become a very welcomed member of it, dispite the board being for GG with hair loss problems, and them knowing I'm a gender male. I ended up there by accident, but was asked to stay because of my positive views and knowledge.

the most common subject is wigs, and there price and value, and these people wear wigs full time, 24 hours a day, ie their wigs last weeks, months if there lucky, and cheaper wigs are often sort by those that are on a tight budget, and can't afford the luxury of spending even $80 dollars on a wig! I could relate you a thousand storys of cheap wigs gone bad, yes there are some good cheap wigs, but you have to search for them, and you can't give a wig, 3 months wear, and several washes, in a shop!

I have wigs I have paid a lot for, and they don't suit me, I have cheaper wigs that look real good, but thats only in look, and we are not talking just the look here, all wigs wear out, the average being 4 month of wear (ie daily uses, and washing when needed) as crossdressers we do not give a wig that sort of use unless your full time 24/7 however if you did, you would soon be aware that price doesn't matter, but quailty does, and you only get quailty normally with the better branded goods.

And As I said, if you look, you can find a bargain, with out paying a lot.

Adolfo Domino $26.00

http://studiohair.net/mall/clearance-wigs.asp

or you could pay $86.00 if you didn't look!

http://www.headcovers.com/moreinfo.php?id=148

Noriko Bree $79.00

http://www.wigsalon.com/wigx.htm?wig=290&clearance=1

or $187, $118 dollars with discount

http://www.loriswigsite.com/noriko_med-long2.html

Amore Poppy a real very high quaility wig (normally $250+) Here $79 dollars

http://www.loriswigsite.com/noriko_med-long2.html

Amore Wigs - Poppy - 2517 (Mono)-Med. Brown-Inventory Reduction
    Color: Medium Brown
    2nd Color: None
    Size: Average

1 $75.00 $75.00
    Sub Total $75.00

only available in one colour, but is shows if you shop around, you can buy quaility, and buy cheap as well, you just have to look!

and if it was spend $80 on a poppy, or buy 2 cheap $40 dollar wigs from china, I cant honestly say the poppy will still be usable, long after the cheap ones have died!

Price does make a difference!
    Last edited by Tracy_Victoria; 09-13-2006 at 06:44 AM.
    Cya

Tracy

[SIZE="2"]The nail that stands out the most, is the one that is hammered down the hardest![/SIZE]

I am not sure why all the fuss over wigs.... I have purchased six and love them all. I prefer the medium or long wigs and as for hair getting in my face...yes it does, but then without it how would I use my ladylike swish and flick to push it back? It is a female characteristic and we are of course females....right?

So....don't fight it, embrace it..enjoy it... make it who you are!

I agree that lowish price and poor quality aren't necessarily equivalent...my 4 current human hair wigs are all very nice and I paid $45 to $65 plus shipping from 3 ebay wig shops that I frequent...(Hair Me Now, Rocky Mountain Beauties, and U Look Marvelous)...all were on clearence of coarse, all made in korea.

Love Karren

.......My Photos