Thread: Are we visable transvestites?

Are we visable transvestites?

Like many of us, I go to the nail salon and have tips glued on and acrylic
    nails that are long and feminine appearing. While the true deffinition of transvestite is wearing articles of clothing of the opposite sex, does having nails done into a french manicure qualify as such. If so, is it that people don't associate this with being a TV or what? For that matter, my eyebrows are thin shapped too?
    "Lady Fingers"

Nails dont make the woman

There are enough men who keep long fingernails and even have them manicured so that it just doesn't have the "oomph" as a statement. It doesn't mean anything about your use of them just society in general. I guess you could go incognito with long and beautiful nails and no one would notice unless you made a big deal of it.

Enjoy your nails Penny
    Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. Mark Twain

Hi Penny

My finger nails are about .500" long and have them done in a salon. I usually use pink, red or exotic berry on toes and fingers. Most of the time I go to the salon, semi-drab, pocket-tee, girls shorts, fem sandals, but sometimes I go "full-dress".
    I'm me, no matter what I'm wearing.
    My roomate says that I should not wear the red polish, as it attracts too much attention, when I'm in "guy" mode. Oh well.

By the way, I'm just about to make an appointment to have my brows done too.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I guess it depends on how girly your nails are. Mine are my own and are long and painted in shiny clear polish all the time. They do look fairly girly, but they aren't French or anything that really stands out. Although I do notice that sometimes some of my co-workers eyes tend to look at my hands when they speak to me

I have plucked thin eyebrows too but I've never had anyone ask me if I'm a crossdresser or anything, going on just the look of my nails and eyebrows. I just figure that I must be right on the borderline of being "femmine guy" and "too feminine to just be a girly guy and so therefore must be something else"
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

HI just like you I keep my nails about a half inch past my finger tips I have done so for about two years I get them french most of the time but I have tried reds also Its not so easy hiding red it stands out. yes I do get comments when In guy mode and just the outher day I was in the drive through at a fast food place and I went to pay the girl taking my money yelled out your nails are like a girl I just said that how I like them and she droped the subject.. well have fun huggs jennig

Hi Girls,
    I think people do associate long nails with femmininity tho. My partner grows his own nails and then proceeds to do his team talk on the football pitch with his hand gestures. He's already been asked by two of his older players if he likes wearing womens clothes.
    He is getting quite complacent and Im sure will, if he hasn't already, get sussed. I dont think people are as green as we think they are.
    TAke care
    BEVxxxx

I guess most people just think you are gay. Some might associate clothes with nail polish, which makes you a gay wearing women's clothes.
    Eyebrows are much harder to judge, because they come in many different forms by nature.

I bite my nails, so I can't grow them long. Once, I actually was able to let them grow out. I did not polish them. But, I did buff them to a high, polished look. No one, other than my wife, ever said anything. But, after a while I just couldn't take it any more and went back to biting.

I have polished my toenails in the past. But, only I would know as I wore sock and regular shoes. This year for the first time, I have worn sandals all summer. I haven't polished my nails, but I am wearing toe rings on both feet.

Diana (Lurker coming out into the Light)

I think a big part of it is how you present yourself in your drab life. If you're a goth/emo kid, no one will even look twice about having long painted nails...they just chalk it up as part of your "look". OTOH, if you're an executive and wear a suit everyday, it would look out of place. I've done the acrylics in the past, but even then I wore them fairly short, only about a 1/4" past my fingertips. Now, they're natural, but well manicured and shaped in a girly curve (matte polish). I've noticed people looking at my nails before, but no one has every made a comment.

Unless your eyebrows are pencil-thin and clearly shaped, most people will never notice. The only ones who will are your friends who were used to how you look without waxed eyebrows. Mine have an arch, but are still thick enough to pass in boy mode.

With the occasional exception of jeans, I don't do the girl's clothes w/o being fully dressed...that's pretty much a dead giveaway.
    "There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. "

- Anais Nin

Quote Originally Posted by jennig View Post
    I was in the drive through at a fast food place and I went to pay the girl taking my money yelled out your nails are like a girl I just said that how I like them and she droped the subject.. well have fun huggs jennig
    I had a similar experience a few months ago. Went through a McD's drive-thru (in male drab) with pretty pink painted nails. Anyway, the woman at the window said to me "I like your nails! Were you out last night?" I smiled, said "yes, thanks" and drove on.

Sara xxx

A lot of sales and professional people (males) have thier nails done for appearence sake. I know I used to have mine done when I was in business for myself and, it does make a first impression better.
    I know for sure I wouldn't buy or deal with a sales person if I saw his nails CHEWED down to the quick or even look and notice that he knawed on them untill they were bleeding, not much respect for his professionalism.
    PS: I still have them done but only about 1/8 long.
    LOVE & HUGS Georgette

Be who you want to be not what others think you should be
    On the Road to a better Place

If, God put you there, God will help you through it.

My nails right now are natural and about 1/4".If anyone has had any thoughts
    about them or me,they have kept it to themselves.I only wear polish when i'm
    not at work.I think they do look feminine and i love them that way.

I think that public awareness about crossdressing is so close to nonexistent that it will be the last thing anyone thinks of when they see your nails and brows. They may think you're a bit of a wimp; they may think you're gay (but what's wrong with that?); but they aren't likely to think you like wearing women's clothes unless they have some personal experience with the tg world. So no, I don't think people necessarily associate long nails and plucked brows with being a crossdresser (whatever that is....lol).

Hugs,
    Marla xx
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

And if the people stare
    Then the people stare
    Oh, I really don't know and I really don't care....

--The Smiths

I think Marla is right, the world views us more as gay, not considering CD or TV as an option.

My nails are buffed and polished with a pad, not nail polish. I have a Dr.'s appointment soon and I'm waiting till it's done, then I'm painting everything in sight!

My brows are very blonde. One of the concessions my wife allows is SHE applies eye shadow to my brows everyday. She also plucks the strays. I tell her in jest each day to "make me pretty". (maybe one day she will)

Colleen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Feeling pretty on the inside.