Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Do You Prefer?

What Do You Prefer?

Hi Girls,

having been born in the U.K and raised by a British mum, I was always exposed to the word "knickers" when mum,an aunt or some woman on TV was refering to panties.

I prefer the word 'knickers' myself.To me it just sounds more fem and makes it clear that women do wear very different(and much nicer) undewear than males do.

So who prefers which?

Hugs,
    Melanie

Oh Knickers!.....

Oh Knickers!

Love Paula x

I think that most people prefer what they are used to; that's how it is with me. Although I think that "knickers" is a pleasant, feminine, and appropriate term for the garments that I call panties, I prefer "panties." It's a conditioned preference. I do think that "panties" connotes a sense of childishness, being a diminutive form of pants, but it also connotes (to me, at least) a frilly, womanly, delicate quality that the term "pants" does not.
    warmly, Linnea

Melanie, I was interested to read that you think "knickers" is more feminine. I call mine panties and my wif'es knickers - because mine are more feminine. :-))
    [SIZE="3"]Love and Hugs to all,

Annie
    (Aussie CD)
    [/SIZE]

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    Over here in the States, "Knickers" were a BOY'S garment in the first half of the 20th century---The knee length trousers worn by "old fashoned" boys and worn with long stockings. They could be fancy (like Lord Flaunteroy) or rough and tumble utilitatian pants for rough play. they seemed to dissapear after WWII.

What do or did you call THOSE pants in the UK?

Definitely knickers in the UK
    'What the caterpillar perceives is the end, to the butterfly is just the beginning'

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    As someone who lived all their life in the UK until I was 39 (I'm 43 now) I must say that (to me) knickers does sound so nice....but mostly for nostalgia reasons as that's what I was always thinking about in my teen years!

Now I've lived here in the US for a few years panties sounds just as lovely and feminine to me, and I visualize the same image when I think of both words.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

It's how we are raised!

I prefer panties because that word always creates an exciting stimulus. Lingerie, underwear, knickers just doesn’t do it. But "Panties" strikes deep.

Wendy

I sometimes have a problem with the word "panties" , it's probably just the lingering boy side of me, foolish, I know. My wife laughs at me about these kinds of things. She says "you wear them but you don't want to call them panties because it's too girlie?"

Panties

Stateside it's been panties. It's just what we say, what we've come to know. My wife says "underwear". That looses the femininity. I'm not fully sure what connotation "knickers" presents in the UK, but it always sounds great with the dialect.

Colleen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Feeling pretty on the inside.

Smile

I prefer calling them "panties". To me it denotes femininity,girlie girl,
    and perhaps eroticism. My wife will always say underwear,not even undies.
    Perhaps she feels that is too bold of a word.Knickers sounds soooo
    harsh and unsexy.( forgive me UK)
    Love Panties.
    Karen Donna[SIZE="2"][/SIZE]

Banned Read only
    Deep South, the land of Magnolia trees, Mint Juleps on the verandah ,hoop skirts & antebellum homes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Hi Girls,

having been born in the U.K and raised by a British mum, I was always exposed to the word "knickers" when mum,an aunt or some woman on TV was refering to panties.

I prefer the word 'knickers' myself.To me it just sounds more fem and makes it clear that women do wear very different(and much nicer) undewear than males do.

So who prefers which?

Hugs,
    Melanie
    Oddly enough, and perhaps it's a regional thing, I grew up thinking that knickers were like knee britches. Until I joined this forum, I'd never heard panties referred to as knickers.

Always thought of Knickers as boys' short pants from generations ago. Panties are what I always referred to for girls' underwear. So, my choice is panties.

Jenna
    [SIZE="2"]There is only one happiness in life, to love and be loved. - George Sand[/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned Read only
    Deep South, the land of Magnolia trees, Mint Juleps on the verandah ,hoop skirts & antebellum homes.
    Oh, and my maternal Grandmother (Cherokee) called them "step ins". Mom has told me that growing up, it was shameful to have her brothers EVER see her "step ins" while laundering them. Mom, Grandmother and her sisters HID them from sight to dry.

What ever you like to call them
    They all feel sooo good to wear
    I like to call them panties
    I just don't have fun -- I make the fun

Life's too short........Enjoy every day

I wish you Brits would learn the language. The word is panties.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

It's what we grew up with I think. Either one sounds better than Drawers or Underpants.
    [SIZE="3"]Jennaie`[/SIZE]

Where would we be without our panties?

Panties for me, I have always been a panties person, the softer and frillier the better.
    Just the thought of panties, no matter who is wearing them, is enough to set me alight and wearing them has always been one of my greatest joys.
    Love from New Zealand
    Primrose

i think this discussion has made it clear that the english language differs across the pond, regardless of what side of the pond you live.

as a u.s. citizen my entire life, one who views herself as submissive...nothing reinforces the fact that i'm a submissive CD more than the fact i wear panties. well....a crinoline or petticoat is a better reinforcement, but the term panties makes it clear i am a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by GG Vanya View Post
    Oh, and my maternal Grandmother (Cherokee) called them "step ins". Mom has told me that growing up, it was shameful to have her brothers EVER see her "step ins" while laundering them. Mom, Grandmother and her sisters HID them from sight to dry.

That's amazing, Vanya, I haven't heard that for 50 years but now I remember That my mother and grandmother called them "step-ins" also. I grew up in New England am not Cherokee so "step-ins" must have been pretty universal.

Karen Sue

Quote Originally Posted by trannie T View Post
    I wish you Brits would learn the language. The word is panties.

No it's not it's knickers
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

Born in USA and entirely exposed to 'panties" which was a forbidden fruit. But like Adam after the first bite there was no stopping and panties became a very cherished word and a favorite undergarment. Sally2

Wink what to call them . . .

well, girls, really!

If you're offered a chnce to wear knickers, wear 'em -

If you like to wear panties, that'll do too -

I say, a rose is a rose is a rose -

They look like panties but they're pronounced knickers.

If you prefer, they look like knickers but pronounced panties.

I like to call mine thongs . . .

When in the USA I call mine panties and when in the UK I call mine panties...

For me it definitely has to be - Knickers.

Panties bring up the image of what very little girls wear.
    You know like "pull your panties up dear, now put your feet into the leggies"