Thread: My Voice...

My Voice...

I can pass fairly well methinks... except for my voice.
    What can I do?
    Any got any Ideas?

I could pretend to be mute I suppose except I dont know sign language.
    "These are not women's clothes, they are my clothes." -- RuPaul Charles
    You Drag Race? I race cars in Drag.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Andrea James has a DVD she sells regarding this I think.

http://www.customflix.com/205665;jse...d=aNs0ycoCutx6
    Last edited by KarenSusan; 09-27-2006 at 07:34 PM.

Karen Sue

Get some of those pills someone mentioned a while back......
    "My Mother wanted me to find a nice girl..so I became one."

Elegance Is Refusal plastiqgirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AprilMae View Post
    Get some of those pills someone mentioned a while back......
    LMAO. I just laughed SO hard at that. :P
    XoXo Lex XoXo

Quote Originally Posted by 1SexyGurl View Post
    I can pass fairly well methinks... except for my voice.
    What can I do?
    Any got any Ideas?

I could pretend to be mute I suppose except I dont know sign language.
    I have Andrea James' DVD as well as Melanie Anne Phillips' tape, and for me, Melanie's method is easier to understand and use.

Her site is at http://www.heartcorps.com/journeys/voice.htm

Carol
    My name is Carol.

I just use my big deep voice...but I had some people I met for the first time this past weekend that had known me from the internet say they were suprised by my voice.

Guess I gotta get off my lazy bootie and start working on it.

Deidra, how can a petite looking woman like you have a deep voice? It must suprise people coming from that cute face.

I also have the Melanie tape and it is easy to follow and she explains it in clear terms. (HUG) Felicia

Quote Originally Posted by Deidra Cowen View Post
    Guess I gotta get off my lazy bootie and start working on it
    Same here! I bought Melanies' cd last spring and just have this bad study-habit block that gets in the way. Anyone out there have tips for keeping at it?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Voice

I speak in my own voice as Ericka. Everyone who knows me wouldn't dare criticize how I sound. It's curious though that my voice automatically softens when I'm Ericka. EKR

I'm familiar with the basic theory, but I must confess that I'm not an expert in the application. Also, I feel a bit embarrassed using my full femme voice in front of my friends, but my voice does soften & I do try to avoid masculine tones when speaking with them.

Let's see if I can compress the basics of speech theory into a page...

The sound of the voice originates in the vocal cords, but different frequencies (pitches) in this sound are filtered by the vocal tract: the throat, mouth & lips, and even the nose. Some frequencies are boosted, others are reduced, in a pattern that is as unique as a fingerprint. Dynamic modification of this filtering allows us to create the sounds of speech.

The basic differences between male & female speech sounds come from the differing base tones produced by the vocal cord, and in the different filtering pattern. Wide variations exist in the base tone range produced by men & women and there is a lot of overlap. There are some very low-pitched yet feminine-sounding voices, and vice versa. The main difference is that the female voice emphasises higher frequencies & de-emphasises lower frequencies. Someone with a male vocal tract can learn to use this female pattern.

You can't change the resonant frequency of your vocal cords by much, but you can learn how to boost the high notes & reduce the low notes. So the first step in femme voice training is to forget about the vocal cords & concentrate on the filtering. One good way to do this is by whispering. When we whisper, the vocal cords are not producing their characteristic tone. The throat generates white noise which is then filtered by the vocal tract, so by whispering you can learn how to create a feminine "filter" with your mouth & throat. This will usually take a bit of trial & error. When you use your full voice with this new feminine filter, your voice will sound more feminine.

Another good thing to do is to try singing en femme. It is generally easier & more comfortable to generate higher frequencies when singing, and because it is a smoother process vocally, singing practice causes less wear & tear on the vocal tract & cords than speaking practice. When practicing your femme voice it's a good idea to warm up a bit first by singing. Even singing in your masculine voice a bit is better than going straight from your male speaking voice into an overly high-pitched femme voice & giving youself voice strain.

Making feminine sounds is only the beginning of feminine speech. Intonation & phrasing are very important. So is vocabulary and mode of expression. One way to practice these things is through imitation. Get a movie with a good strong female character in it & learn to imitate a section of her vocal performance. It doesn't matter if she's not exactly your style, you will still learn much through mimicry.

I hope this rambling is of inspiration to someone...

Robin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Quote Originally Posted by Julogden View Post
    I have Andrea James' DVD as well as Melanie Anne Phillips' tape, and for me, Melanie's method is easier to understand and use.

Her site is at http://www.heartcorps.com/journeys/voice.htm

Carol
    Ty so much for the link. Im going to give that a go tommorow and see what happens .

If people see you before they hear you there is not usually a problem, unless you have a particularly deep and loud voice. They see a woman so they hear a woman, allbeit one with a slightly deeper than normal voice. If they hear you first there might be a problem. They hear what seems to be a man's voice but then they see a woman! I just talk fairly quietly and try to pitch it up a bit, but not so quietly that you have to repeat it!

Anyone see that guy, I think his name is Ross, who shows up on Jay Leno sometimes. He sounds exactly like a woman. I am sooo jealous.

Also, if you perfect a female voice, can you switch back and forth or does it stay as a female voice?

Karen Sue

Quote Originally Posted by KarenSusan View Post
    Anyone see that guy, I think his name is Ross, who shows up on Jay Leno sometimes. He sounds exactly like a woman. I am sooo jealous.

Also, if you perfect a female voice, can you switch back and forth or does it stay as a female voice?
    Hi Karen Sue,

You can switch back and forth, nothing permanent is done.

Carol
    My name is Carol.

Quote Originally Posted by AmberTG View Post
    Deidra, how can a petite looking woman like you have a deep voice? It must suprise people coming from that cute face.
    Yes I do! Surprise them that it. Was outside the hotel getting ready to leave SCC on sunday. Was dressed up en femme chatting away to some friends. I was in super blend in mode since I had to drive home and wanted to go as a fem in daylight. So I had a pony tail and girly eye glasses on with jeans & a pull over. A guy walked by...heard my voice...and did two double takes! I smiled at him and kept on talking.

Oh and thanks sweetie for the compliment. I probably am a bit careful in picking pics to post here and on my webpage...but I am not petite...I am actually a pretty big girl at 5' 10 and 185 pounds. About perfect for a guy but too big for a gal...but I do my best with it...and choose the right cloths most da time! I hope.

Is it just me or......... Carroll's Avatar
    I am confussed for a female on the phone quite often, and my voice is fairly high for a guy as it is
    Drumming, My other hobby

When I am in study mode, I use the Andrea James cd and dvd in the car. I spend alot of time for work driving, so that gives me hours during the day to practice. Usually I get motivated before a big "vacation", then slough off right afterwards. You can easily do some softening and raising of the pitch. The tough bit is the intonation, rythm and vocabulary. My regular voice is quite deep and monotone. Sally's voice is high enough to be in the mid to lower ranges of an average female. It gets me by, but I've got to work harder. My wife says that it is about the only thing left that gives me away.

It just takes alot of work and dedication!

Sally

helium???

Say kind things to people whenever you can. The world will get the hint.

so for all those people who bought a cd or dvd from Andrea or Melanie, do they actually work.. or help you?

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Leigh View Post
    I'm familiar with the basic theory, but I must confess that I'm not an expert in the application. Also, I feel a bit embarrassed using my full femme voice in front of my friends, but my voice does soften & I do try to avoid masculine tones when speaking with them.

Let's see if I can compress the basics of speech theory into a page...

The sound of the voice originates in the vocal cords, but different frequencies (pitches) in this sound are filtered by the vocal tract: the throat, mouth & lips, and even the nose. Some frequencies are boosted, others are reduced, in a pattern that is as unique as a fingerprint. Dynamic modification of this filtering allows us to create the sounds of speech.

The basic differences between male & female speech sounds come from the differing base tones produced by the vocal cord, and in the different filtering pattern. Wide variations exist in the base tone range produced by men & women and there is a lot of overlap. There are some very low-pitched yet feminine-sounding voices, and vice versa. The main difference is that the female voice emphasises higher frequencies & de-emphasises lower frequencies. Someone with a male vocal tract can learn to use this female pattern.

You can't change the resonant frequency of your vocal cords by much, but you can learn how to boost the high notes & reduce the low notes. So the first step in femme voice training is to forget about the vocal cords & concentrate on the filtering. One good way to do this is by whispering. When we whisper, the vocal cords are not producing their characteristic tone. The throat generates white noise which is then filtered by the vocal tract, so by whispering you can learn how to create a feminine "filter" with your mouth & throat. This will usually take a bit of trial & error. When you use your full voice with this new feminine filter, your voice will sound more feminine.

Another good thing to do is to try singing en femme. It is generally easier & more comfortable to generate higher frequencies when singing, and because it is a smoother process vocally, singing practice causes less wear & tear on the vocal tract & cords than speaking practice. When practicing your femme voice it's a good idea to warm up a bit first by singing. Even singing in your masculine voice a bit is better than going straight from your male speaking voice into an overly high-pitched femme voice & giving youself voice strain.

Making feminine sounds is only the beginning of feminine speech. Intonation & phrasing are very important. So is vocabulary and mode of expression. One way to practice these things is through imitation. Get a movie with a good strong female character in it & learn to imitate a section of her vocal performance. It doesn't matter if she's not exactly your style, you will still learn much through mimicry.

I hope this rambling is of inspiration to someone...

Robin
    I appreciate your thoughts Honey, thanks!