Thread: Shaving Problems

Shaving Problems

Hi Girls,

though I have shaved my legs many times in the past and twice in the last month,I still have problems.Either my legs feel wet or damp about 2 days after I shave them or I get itchy and then develop a rash that actually sometimes ends up in small pimples on my legs ususally up around my thighs or crotch area.This doesn;t seem to clear up for a number of weeks.
    I know this sounds a bit gross(sorry),but how does one prevent this?I am at a loss and thinking of consulting a dermatologist.I am very clean and I tried moisurizer ,aloe vera cream and different soaps.

Any ideas very welcome,I want to have nice skin if I can.I also got some of this on my chest when I shaved it a month ago,it's only now healing.

Hugs,
    Melanie
    Last edited by Melanie; 09-29-2006 at 12:25 AM.

Sounds like a shaving rash to me. Lotions can tend to irritate a shaving rash. I get the same breakouts at the top of my legs where the skin is more delicate, it's usually ingrown hairs that cause the rash. I use a really great product for that called Tend Skin, it's an after shave treatment that's also good for electrolysis treatment. It's a bit pricy, but it's worth it. It really helps me.

Shaving legs

I just use regular shave cream. The trick I think is to shave all the time. I shave my body every other day. I've noticed when I don't shave on a regular basis, I begin to get the problems you described. Ericka Kay

Hi Melanie,

Did you try the dry shaving technique that I mentioned last time? I'm sure you'll find it makes a difference.

In the mean time, use some dilute Tea Tree Oil on your shaving rash. It will make it feel better & speed up the healing process.

Robin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I use an electric razor and do everything totally dry, and don't put any kind of goop on them before or after.

Silver Member
    Dear Melanie,

I get this problem on my butt. Nowhere else, just there. I use a product called Stridex used by teens to get rid of pimples. It works for me. After shaving I moisturize every where except there and I wipe my butt cheeks with the Stridex pads. I have been doing this everytime I get this problem for 20 or so years.

I am sure there are other solutions, but this worked and I stuck with it.

Stephenie

Have you tried a depilatory like Nair or Veet? If your skin can tolerate these methods, it may do a better job of avoiding those problems.
    For photos on flickr, my user name is cd_erica_f

The feeling that your legs are damp is normal. It's because you aren't used to having air moving next to your skin so it feels 'cool'.

I do what Butterfly Bill does - an electric razor, totally dry. I also do it daily. It only takes 5 to 10 minutes on a daily basis. I do take a shower after shaving to wash off any tiny hair particles that could cause irritation. I find that one of the rotary type electric razors (such as Norelco, Philips, or Remington) works best on legs.
    Phoebe

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Leigh View Post
    Hi Melanie,

Did you try the dry shaving technique that I mentioned last time? I'm sure you'll find it makes a difference.

In the mean time, use some dilute Tea Tree Oil on your shaving rash. It will make it feel better & speed up the healing process.

Robin
    Robin,

I used your dry shaving method and it DOES WORK!!! Thank you so much!!

I have had the very same problem my whole life and have never found a solution until now. Give it a go Melanie!

Ellisia

BTW I didn't bother altering the razor - it seemed to stay clog free with the talc.
    Caught your hand inside the till,
    Slammed your fingers in the door.
    Fought with kitchen knives and skewers.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ellisia_Lynch View Post
    Robin,

I used your dry shaving method and it DOES WORK!!! Thank you so much!!

I have had the very same problem my whole life and have never found a solution until now. Give it a go Melanie!

Ellisia

BTW I didn't bother altering the razor - it seemed to stay clog free with the talc.
    Excellent, Ellisia! I'm glad to have ended your misery.

Altering the razor is useful when you have a lot of hair to remove, and it does give a slightly closer shave. But an unmodified razor does scrape the skin less than one with the guard removed, giving less irritation & also the blade stays sharper for a bit longer. I only need to use altered razors if it's been more than a month between shaves.

Robin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

You need an exfoliating brush... they are very useful things.
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

thanks girls

HI Lisa,
    I tried an exfoliating type sponge actually and it seemed to irritate me.
    Thanks to all of you kind sisters for your advice I really appreciate your time and advice ,will try all of them,

hugs,

Melanie xo

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I tried an exfoliating type sponge actually and it seemed to irritate me.
    I don't mean one of those bathtime types, I mean a proper brush. Brush towards the heart... Makes your skin smooth and flawless overtime.
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Golightly View Post
    I don't mean one of those bathtime types, I mean a proper brush. Brush towards the heart... Makes your skin smooth and flawless overtime.
    Or use a exfolating shower gel, also check for ingrowing hairs but if you exfoliate it will help to stop them.
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

I started using an emjoi optima about 2 years ago and have yet to return to only shaving. Hurts like heck the first few times but gets to mush easier and less frequent as time goes by. Used it last Friday and did a touch up shave today. I love how it makes my skin feel smooth for weeks after. Basically eliminates razor burn and itching from shaving too often.

You can address ingrown hairs with products containing syliac (sp) acid. Tons of over counter that have been very effective for me. I just started using Nutrogena products because they have a 2%. Anything less might not be as effective in reducing ingrown hairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Julie York View Post
    The feeling that your legs are damp is normal. It's because you aren't used to having air moving next to your skin so it feels 'cool'.
    I love that feeling on my legs!

shaving

Best Advice i can offer is get the ladyshave wet/dry razor from phillips. Its AWESOME! if you have alot of hair i recomend getting nair and removing the hair first and then the wet/dry razor. I've tried it now for about three months and my legs are oohh soo smooth. They are so silky, even love wearing nylons and spandex and stuff. try it. you'll like it.

I had all kinds of trouble shaving my legs, body, arms just like you. I tried NAIR...worked great and lord it gets you smooth! But it started burning me and I had to stop. I then tried VEET and its perfect! Really gets you smooth, does not burn, all those bumps, pimples and itching are a thing of the past.

Not sure if this is really true or my imagination...but it seems like the VEET gets the hair further down the root. I am very smooth for 4 to 5 hours esp on my chest. If I shave, I can start to feel the stubble again after an hour or two. I'm Italian by the way and haves way too much thick body hair.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I never get these "rashy bumps" anywhere except the areas that are really high up in my groin area.....the exact same areas that didn't get waxed (when I used to have regular waxings). I know everyone has their own preferences, but making the decision to have my legs waxed at the beauty salon every 3 weeks, for the years that I did it, was the best decision I even make on hair removal. I have so little little re-growth now that I only need to shave a small amount off once a week and it's always a "rash free" pleasant experience. Have you ever considered professional waxing?
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Content and Happy
    I use Skin So Soft after every shave. Since I shave on a regular basis, I don't have any break outs. I've used it for so long that my legs feel silky smooth.

Lanore