Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Forum Etiquette

Question Forum Etiquette

Hi Guys, I had asked the good Captain Lex about this, and he suggested I start this thread. The thing is that yesterday I was posting in answer to a thread here, and was going to refer to dressing in male clotthes as being "in drab" as we refer to it on the MtF board, but thought better of it, as i thought that you boys might take offense at the term. Forgive my ignorance in this. However, I would like to know your feelings on this term as it might apply to you. Thanks. Love and xxxx, Lily
    Comfortable in my own skin.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity, and never cease to be amazed by it!" Lazarus Long

Well, as I mentioned to Lily, I think it's a good question 'cause it's a term I've never heard used on this side of the fence. It may just be something that MtFs relate to. I certainly don't consider my boys' clothes to fit the definition of "in drab". Depending on the occasion and my mood, my clothes are casual, comfortable, dressy, office attire, beachwear, etc., but they're the colors, patterns and material that I feel comfortable in - never "drab".
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

guy clothes

Quote Originally Posted by CaptLex View Post
    Well, as I mentioned to Lily, I think it's a good question 'cause it's a term I've never heard used on this side of the fence. It may just be something that MtFs relate to. I certainly don't consider my boys' clothes to fit the definition of "in drab". Depending on the occasion and my mood, my clothes are casual, comfortable, dressy, office attire, beachwear, etc., but they're the colors, patterns and material that I feel comfortable in - never "drab".
    I agree Captlex. Guy clothes can be pretty colorful and sharp (but don't get me started). Not to mention those Pirate outfits which are indeed damn colorful. Avast, ye swabs! Ericka

I have heard the term a number of times (sometimes "en drab") but it never struck me as pejorative. It just seems to mean not "en femme".

I was told that drag = Dressed As A Girl and drab = Dressed As A Boy, but that might just be an urban legend.

In any case I'm sure that the term is a throwback to the days when men weren't really allowed to wear colorful clothes.

Rachel xxx
    Last edited by Rachel Ann; 10-01-2006 at 10:49 AM.
    In another time's forgotten space
    Your eyes looked through your mother's face
    Wildflower seed and sand and stone
    May the four winds blow you safely home
    - Robert Hunter

In your saddlebags, messing with your weight distribution.
    Meh. I haven't really got a prefference. Call it drab, call it boys clothes, doesn't bother me either way.
    Yes-- socks! Run out again! Why is it that no matter how many millions of pairs of socks I buy, I never seem to have any? They just... disappear. Honestly, you'd think someone was coming in here, stealing the damn things, and selling them off. . . For me, socks are like sex: tons of it about, and I never seem to get any.

Platinum Member
    ive only heard and used the word drab when refering to a MTFs mainly friends that ive seen in either mode, never heard it when refering to a FTM, personally i dont like the word as i am never drab i am just me!
    Last edited by Kieron Andrew; 10-02-2006 at 02:43 AM.

Drab or whatever

Quote Originally Posted by Kieron Andrew View Post
    ive only heard and used the word drab when refering to a MTFs mainly friends that ive seen in either mode, never heard it when refering to a FTM, personally i dont like the word as i am never drab i am just me!
    None of you guys are "drab" to me. I think you are all very handsome. I'm not flirting here, just stating a fact. Ericka

Holland/Netherlands/The land of windmills and clogs
    I must say I really don't bother. Call it drab, drag or whatever. If I don't like it, I will ignore it.

(and thanks Ericka. Woot we are handsome! )

I'll be your Huckleberry! Sarah Rabbit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Ann View Post
    I was told that drag = Dressed As A Girl and drab = Dressed As A Boy, but that might just be an urban legend.
    Rachel xxx
    Although I'm not keen on the the word Drag(Much like Transvestite, has too much of a negative history) I do like the Acronyms...Maybe the Urban legend could become mainstream with a positive spin on the words.

Sarah R.
    Every time I walk down the street, I see every eye on me.
    Every time they look at me, I wonder, who do they see?
    Perfection in disguise,with regimes and alibis.
    The girl in the mirror , isn't the same as the girl in my heart

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Not just a pig-n-lipstick
    For me dressed in Drab simply means I'm wearing something that I would rather not be wearing and in a way it expresses the feeling I have when that happens. In drab... feeling drab... kinda like Blah.

I like the acronym better though since when thought of that way "drab" does not have the Blah feeling connected to it. Besides, when I'm all dressed up I don't have a "drag" feeling.... hehehe, whatever that feeling would be it doesn't sound like it would be much better then "drab" anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Ericka Richards View Post
    None of you guys are "drab" to me. I think you are all very handsome. I'm not flirting here, just stating a fact. Ericka

I'm fairly certain that the drab/drag acronym thing is an urban legend. It only appears on LGBT sites. It doesn't appear on any of the standard etymology sites.

I don't use the term Drag, unless I'm talking about Drag Queens.

I reckon that it'll be less confusing if we keep the drab/drag thing for the MTFs (if we must use those words at all). The FTM guys deserve to have their own words that they are comfortable with.

How about the use of the term "en homme" in contrast to "en femme", or does the French make it seem too girly? Maybe a Germanic term instead?

Robin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

I also don't use the term "drag" either unless referring to Drag Queens. I have nothing against the term "en homme", except that most people would probably raise an eyebrow at it and I'd have to constantly explain it. I guess I'll just stick to boys' clothes or menswear.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I want to thank everyone for the response. I appreciate you taking the time to educate me on this. Love and xxxx, Lily
    Comfortable in my own skin.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity, and never cease to be amazed by it!" Lazarus Long

Quote Originally Posted by Robin Leigh View Post
    I don't use the term Drag, unless I'm talking about Drag Queens.
    Me, too

I reckon that it'll be less confusing if we keep the drab/drag thing for the MTFs (if we must use those words at all). The FTM guys deserve to have their own words that they are comfortable with.
    FtMs also deserve the right to create and "brand" their own words. I say "in drab" or "en drab" for the all too many times when I cannot go out "en femme".

How about the use of the term "en homme" in contrast to "en femme", or does the French make it seem too girly? Maybe a Germanic term instead?
    Good luck. Introducing new lingo is always dicey, people accept it or they don't.

I had a cologne called "Parfum Pour Homme". My friends immediately started calling it "Pour Homie".

Rachel xxx
    - Robert Hunter

Holland/Netherlands/The land of windmills and clogs
    Yeah translate it to german, dutch, swedish or danish?

en femme
    -----------
    german: in Frau
    dutch: in vrouw
    swedish: av fru
    danish: til hustru

en homme
    -----------
    german: in Mann
    dutch: in man
    swedish: av män
    danish: til menneske

(I might have made some errors, but I think this is pretty correct.. )

Quote Originally Posted by Evert View Post
    Yeah translate it to german, dutch, swedish or danish?

en femme
    -----------
    german: in Frau
    dutch: in vrouw
    swedish: av fru
    danish: til hustru

en homme
    -----------
    german: in Mann
    dutch: in man
    swedish: av män
    danish: til menneske

(I might have made some errors, but I think this is pretty correct.. )
    This starts to get snarky. In German, an unmarried woman is a "Maedchen" (Maiden), expressed with the neuter gender. I think that the same is true in Dutch, I don't know about Swedish or Danish.

I'm also not sure about the equivalence of prepositions - 'auf Mann' might be more appropriate than 'in Mann'.

Moral: let's leave language alone to the extent possible, people aren't going to accept new usages readily anyway.
    - Robert Hunter

I could definitely care less, in drab, whatever, I like it, it suits me just fine, you can keep the drag, as long as i can keep my drab thanks for the consideration of asking though
    [SIZE=2]"Whatever you are, be a good one." -Abraham Lincoln[/SIZE][SIZE=2][/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]SSC[/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][SIZE=2]2012[/SIZE][SIZE=2] [/SIZE][SIZE=2]SWK![/SIZE][SIZE=1]
    [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]
    Shaun
    [/SIZE]

I like Robin's "en homme." If that doesn't work why not just "girl clothes" and "boy clothes?"
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Woman of the Revolution Bridget's Avatar
    I personally don't like the term drab...I am dressed the way I am because I feel that way. And that's the way it's served.

Personally, if there isn't really a term for FtM, I don't really see a reason why to create one...you are what you are despite the packaging, amirite?

Quote Originally Posted by Rachel Ann View Post
    I have heard the term a number of times (sometimes "en drab") but it never struck me as pejorative. It just seems to mean not "en femme".

In any case I'm sure that the term is a throwback to the days when men weren't really allowed to wear colorful clothes.

Rachel xxx
    Historically though, men did used to wear pretty colorful clothes, with laces, pink and high stiletto heels. Fashion is a strange mistress...
    Last edited by Bridget; 11-17-2006 at 12:26 PM. Reason: tying it to the main topic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    you are what you are despite the packaging, amirite?
    Hello,
    I do agree with your statement 100%
    Last edited by CaptLex; 11-17-2006 at 08:45 PM.

I am sure you all know this but I did not see it mentioned. We can thank The Bard for the term DRAG. Apparently it was written in the margins of his plays to represent Dressed As A Girl.

Platinum Member
    people have said to me when i was still dressing half and half that 'boymode' was a good term for ftms who dress all the way.....as i do now, i much prefer it than drab, also think 'en homme' is great
    Last edited by Kieron Andrew; 11-17-2006 at 06:08 PM.

Action crossdresser Marlena Dahlstrom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kieron Andrew View Post
    people have said to me when i was still dressing half and half that 'boymode' was a good term for ftms who dress all the way.....as i do now, i much prefer it than drab, also think 'en homme' is great
    What I've said for MTFs is also true for the guys: you're only en drab if you let yourself be drab.

'Course I've been known to be en homme myself.
    Lena

A dream? What is a dream, but a blueprint for courageous action.

http://www.adahlshouse.com

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtv View Post
    I am sure you all know this but I did not see it mentioned. We can thank The Bard for the term DRAG. Apparently it was written in the margins of his plays to represent Dressed As A Girl.
    I have heard that. I was wondering, however, if drab was also an acronym Shakespeare used?
    Shannon