Thread: Question for girls in UK.

Question for girls in UK.

I get the impression that crossdressing is much more accepted in England. Is this true. I don't know why I'm asking really, maybe to make myself jealous. I know there are many CD stores from the UK online and with TV personalities etc. it just seems that it's not as difficult to be a CD in the Motherland.
    Just wondering.
    Thanks,
    LaurenS.

Who can really tell? To compare how it is in different countries then I guess someone needs to have lived in both of them?

It should be about the same in any given democratic country - I would imagine that it could be more difficult if you live in an area that is heavy with a strict religion or a small community that is set in the 'old' ways - but I am sure these type of places exsist in most countries - even here in the good old UK!

Platinum Member
    statistics like this are pretty hard to find out, seeing as America is a larger country by far........but having travelled to the states i would definitely say that out of all the the Americans ive met they have all been pretty broadminded, maybe ive just been lucky......and i know many people from the UK that just cant understand the need to crossdress....so you tell me lol

Smile hmmmmm.....

There in lies a web of denial, prejudice, hyporacy, and just a bit more denial(for good measure)....and not forgetting the titanium clad british upper lip.
    It is a sordid tale, born of eras when religion cast its veil of control over all, and kinkiness had to lepoard crawl beneath the razor wire of british society. (this is a sociology students dream essay question). Suffice to say that to catch em at it, you only need to scratch the surface(see latest news about the lives of certain judges) poor dears, they do so hate being caught out.
    Is there someone I can speak to, in customer services, I seem to have the wrong body, no I dont have a reciept, er maybe an upgrade.....hello..???

Arrow Who knows?

I think in the big cities such as London, Manchester, Bristol, where there are large numbers of population would lead to a large variety of people. The diversity would include crossdressers.

I myself have shopped enfemme in Exeter (a small city with a population of approximately 100,000).
    No one seems to take much notice.

As far as online stores are concerned, no one will find out who sets up the websites. This makes discretion much easier. Most websites happen to be American though (just because the total population is far greater).

I do believe that people are no longer shocked when they see a tranny.
    Surprised maybe, but also more accepting now than say 20 years ago.

Hope this helps.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    This is a difficult question to answer, it's not like, in the UK it's totally accepted or anything but OTOH there is more exposure to it with shows like Little Britain etc...not that Little Britain shows cding in a good light or anything, just that it shows it. Any publicity is good pulicity so to speak, and of course historically, men in dresses has been in British humour (pantomimes, Monty Python etc) so what I'm saying is that it's more visable in a general sense.

The only other thing that might have a bearing on it is that unfortunately some people associate crossdressing with being gay, and in Europe there seems to be less homophobia and more tolerance as a general rule, due to the fact there is less of a presence of the religious right.
    Last edited by Rachel Morley; 10-01-2006 at 12:28 PM.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Smile Thanks!

Thankyou girls, I guess I wasn't thinking that if you haven't lived in the states how would you know. DUH! Angel, I know you have the best perspective on this and I guess the acceptance isn't any better in the UK. I think because of the British humor shows I was getting the impression that crossdressing was readily accepted...I guess not. Here in the states as in the UK the larger the city the more diverse the culture the more acceptance. Living in liberal Massachsetts makes my life much easier because I've found crossdressing to be accepted in most every store and restaurant I've been in. Thanks again girls for your help in trying to satisfy my curiosity.

LaurenS.

I don't think we are becuase I know that if a cross dresser goes into certain shops in certain areas then they may get a bit of stick from small minded individuals the same individuals (aka The Daily Mirror Reader Average) that seem to take more notice of the size of a womens breasts and attractiveness rather than the personality and this is in a retail environment!

So some areas yeah there is acceptance but in others its denial or stab you in the back type of attitude.

Untitled
    Speaking as a Brit who is "en-femme" 24/7, I take no notice of who is accepting and who is not. Yes you get the odd look or comment, but overall, most go about their own business, the same as I do.

Shopping is easy, just go and get what you want, if the assistant is awkward ask to see the supervisor, if they are awkward, tell them fine, you will shop somewhere else, BTBH I have never had a problem. *Hmmmmmmmmm could that be because Sandra gives them "the look"*

All it takes is the courage to be who you want to be and look like you want to look, no matter where you live.
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

I don't know if the UK is more accepting than the States, in rural areas it would likely be the same. However rights of TS/TG's are more protected here under european legistation and the police have to tread careful otherwise they could fall foul of the european social charter.
    Mind of a Woman, Body of a Man, Life is a Bitch