Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Define feminine personality

Define feminine personality

I'm really not clear on this feminine/masculine personality thing (other than obvious biology) and would like some hetero-CD comments.

I understand society's stereotypes & expectations of each gender and appreciate the negative feedback someone who crosses those fuzzy grey lines may receive. Many species of animal have the male colorful & decorated while the female is "drab". I'm not sure either gender of human w/o clothes could be considered more ornamental than the other, and I'm not questioning "feeling pretty" or sexuality.

Example: Several years ago the hubby & I had a month long debate over returning white bathroom fixtures and exchanging for bone at a $400 premium. White to bone?! You're kidding, right? But he wasn't & eventually we paid & returned to get bone in the new bathroom instead of white. Is that a "feminine" personality trait on his part - I really don't think so. I think he's just a perfectionist which is neither male nor female.

What I don't understand are the repeated comments by CDers that they want to be in touch, express, demonstrate the feminine side of their personality. Huh??? What components of your personality do you find feminine that can't be expressed because of your clothing? When in masculine mode of day to day life, do you really repress many reactions/responses to a given situation because you feel it's "unmanly"?

Quote Originally Posted by Tree GG View Post
    Several years ago the hubby & I had a month long debate over returning white bathroom fixtures and exchanging for bone at a $400 premium. White to bone?! You're kidding, right? But he wasn't & eventually we paid & returned to get bone in the new bathroom instead of white. Is that a "feminine" personality trait on his part - I really don't think so. I think he's just a perfectionist which is neither male nor
    Actually that reminds me of quite a few men I know, and in their case it wasn't pursuit of perfection more primal DIY bonding. As far as I'm concerned if it doesn't leak then yay!
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

My wife mentioned that she would like to redo the kitchen. I said, fine no problem, find a general contractor becuase I'm not doing it. For years I did DIY remodeling on every house we have own. I have rebuilt a 12'X40" deck, built a 60'LX5"H retaining wall, filled it with over 5,000 pounds of topsoil, Planted so many trees, bushes, flowers, and ect, I have lost count. Inclosed a 12'X12' patio. When we moved to Dallas, I told her that I was getting too old to do manual labor like I had done in the past. LOL

Hi Tree believe me men are tought from a very early age to repress thier feelings "big boys don't cry" how many times have you heard that? If they enjoy helping their mum cooking or cleaning thats a girls job and see a young boy playing with a doll and OMG!!!! he's going to be gay!!! little boys get dressed up and they look very smart while little girls are "beautiful and pretty" how I used to long to be told I was pretty to feel pretty, and it isn't just children men are allowed to grow flowers but it's the womans job to enjoy them. Romantic films are soppy, there are so many ways we are encouraged to repress our feelings it's a wonder we are not all like Mr Spock. we are tought we have to be Bigger,stronger, faster than the other boys, For me being femanine is a way to free myself from the shackles of masculitiny and be the warm emotional caring person inside.
    [SIZE=4] Jayne xx[/SIZE]

Based on many conversations with GGs, I don't think most of us find it necessary to supress our feminine traits while in male mode. There are occassions when we find it necessary to display a "macho" front but it usually does not last long. In my experience, I find most GGs are very appreciative of the feminine side (maybe just a compliment about new lipstick without any sexual overtones). Many of these ladies become very open with our conversations and will talk about things normally reserved for conversations with other GGs.

ok here goes... when i was living as a guy i was calous, rough, rude, i rarely showed any affection, it even annoyed my wife that when i hugged her i used only one arm and loosely at that, now that i no longer live or identify as male my wife has noticed a marked improvement in my personality like i'm more open with my feelings, i talk, and am more affectionate, traits that i supressed in favor of the other male traits, cuz i thaught society expected me to act in that rough, gruff manner in witch most males express themselves, i believe when a CD puts on her clothes she often takes on the feminine manerisims of a loving affectionate person, then again supress them when back in drab making it a personality changing experience every time they dress, and when one changes their personality they change their perspective on things as well, thus they create defining barriers between their masculine and femanine selves...
    Nobody want's to feel alone
    And everybody want's to love someone
    Out of the tree go pick a plum
    Why can't we all just get along?
    <<Garbage - Androgyny>>

Other GG's tell me I have a noticeable feminine side, personally I just like to wear the clothes and blokey things like kilts just wouldn't feel the same

That's what I said!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Golightly View Post
    As far as I'm concerned if it doesn't leak then yay!
    That's exactly what I said. If it flushes & drains - I'm good!

Maybe "femanine" isn't the right way to put it. Maybe "not masculine" is better, at least in my case.

The hetero community has these concepts of what a man is supposed to be. Men are supposed to be strong and supportive, handy around the house, more logical less emotional, and agressive in every single miniscule aspect of our lives, from the bedroom to the boardroom. I'm more "effeminite" naturally, walking with a switch and generally being softer and more social. Who did my girlfriends cheat on me with an leave me for? Big studly guys, some of whom ran with gangs and some who were physically and mentally abusive to the point of needing restraining orders against them. That's what hetero women seem to want. Look at the backlash when metrosexuality was becoming big. I kept reading these interviews with women saying "I don't want him to be *pretty*...I want my man to be a *man*".

Even my wife, who knew and accepted that I was a CD from day one, still wants me to be the aggressor in bed and swoons when I strut around in tight jeans and a muscle tee because that's what's she finds sexy in a man. It's still my job to step in and fix a flat tire or leaky faucet while she acts all helpless and impotent.

I put a lot of effort into learning how to "be a man" when I was younger so I would be the kind of man women find attractive, and it worked. I went from "I just like you as a friend" to "here's my number, call me". But I need a release from all that pressure to be Mr. Studboy all the time. I need to shift to almost a polar opposite for some relief. Dana used to be Dave's opposite: soft, submissive, beautiful, and artistic. Lately, though, I've been resisting these expected roles and letting myself back away from having to be Mr. Take Control. Dana, oddly enough, has been more agressive and confident. Will the two ever converge in the middle? I doubt it, but who knows what the future holds?

If I tried to sum it up in one sentence, I would say it would be this:

Allowing myself to give without expecting something in return.

Maybe you don't think that's a feminine thing, but being raised male, with other boys, it is something that gets drilled into you. Boys try to get others, including other boys, to do certain types of things for them. Not necessarily domestic stuff, like preparing food, but all kinds of things.

Girls, on the other hand, are raised to "make someone happy." Maybe not always consciously, but that's a theme.

So you might legimately ask why crossdressing was needed for me to realize this. I'm afraid I don't have an answer for that. This realization might have come in some other way, but it wasnt until I became accepting of myself that I found I could truly give of myself.

I think it might have something do to with this: if you can accept yourself as a crossdresser - which society (and most beginning crossdressers) views as an extremely shameful and humiliating act - if you can accept that about yourself, everything else that might be viewed as "unmanly" or "humiliating" seems trivial - so it becomes easier to accept all these other traits that you used to "not allow."

Whether those traits are universally viewed as "feminine" is almost irrelevant from this perspective.

Personally I don't think I change much when I'm dressed. Yes, the way I walk and move around but that's because of what I'm wearing. Heels changes the way you walk, a skirt or dress changes how you sit or bend to pick up something. Because I'm married I have responsibilities that are male oriented; take care of the cars, the lawn, repairs, bug killer (lol), protect the family (at least make them feel safe). Because these don't take up much of my time, I help my SO with dinners, dishwashing, vacuuming, dusting, tub cleaning, sports laundry and grocery shopping.

I cry easily but always hide it. I've often wanted to ask women about their makeup or comment on how nice something they're wearing is but won't because it would appear that I'm hitting on them. Which I definitely wouldn't be. I like talking to both men and women. I like books that have either a man or a woman as central characters, all types of movies from the very violent to ones that make you cry out of joy or sadness. Being a man causes me to still hide a few things of who I am.

Bonnie

Attempt at an answer

What components of your personality do you find feminine that can't be expressed because of your clothing? When in masculine mode of day to day life, do you really repress many reactions/responses to a given situation because you feel it's "unmanly"?
    [SIZE=3]I’m a former US Marine, Airborne qualified, with spare macho to burn. While on temp assignment to Ft Benning in 1982 during an off duty drunk fest, I had a young Army Spec 4 try and out drink me in Jack Daniel’s, I was a Sgt at the time. I let him try since I knew I would win. Sure enough he retired from the competition completely trashed and I was still standing. A few hours later I was awaked from my stupor by his roomie, he explained to me that this kid was in bad shape from all the alcohol he had consumed and was a bit worried. By “stereotype”, I should have dressed him down for being a dumbass, thrown him head first into a shower stall, turned on the cold water and forced him to puke. But I was still buzzing from the booze and my guard was down and I didn’t handle it that way. I felt concern, compassion, and responsibility for this child I had led into this condition, I treated him gently, sat under the shower with him, tried to get him to vomit and held his head so he wouldn’t drown in it, tried to comfort him, all the while his buddy was standing by watching with this “look” on his face. After that it was assumed I was a homosexual, which I later disproved, but I was still weird never the less. I was more careful after that, to act out my gender role more appropriately.[/SIZE]

To put a definition on this, is like trying to grab a handful of wind. if i had only one word to use, it would be softer. Softer in all things, and yet that is a stereotype. Since I embraced being Lily, I am a gentler soul. The woman in my life that I have looked up to, were all gentle. They could be tough and strong when needed, and even then, reacteddifferent than men in similar situations.
    In my case, as I've always felt I should have been a girl, I have felt like I feel and that to me is feminine. I had to learn growing up to "act like a man". Tough, strong, no emotions allowed to show, especially sadness, or pain which I was supposed to "suck up". All being contrary to the way I felt inside.
    Today I have the freedom to be me, and be Lily. I am today a much nicer person, and people have commented on that to me. I call myself feminine today, even when I have to show up as Charlie, which is just a name I answer to today.
    All I know is how I feel, and that is very difficult, if not impossible to express in words.
    Love and xxxx, Lily
    Comfortable in my own skin.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity, and never cease to be amazed by it!" Lazarus Long

Quote Originally Posted by bobbipoet View Post

Allowing myself to give without expecting something in return.

Whether those traits are universally viewed as "feminine" is almost irrelevant from this perspective.
    Good points. Giving to feel good about yourself is a quality in all good people. I like the "it good be worse" analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by Maria2004 View Post
    [SIZE=3] A few hours later I was awaked from my stupor by his roomie, he explained to me that this kid was in bad shape from all the alcohol he had consumed and was a bit worried. By “stereotype”, I should have dressed him down for being a dumbass, thrown him head first into a shower stall, turned on the cold water and forced him to puke. But I was still buzzing from the booze and my guard was down and I didn’t handle it that way. I felt concern, compassion, and responsibility for this child I had led into this condition, I treated him gently, sat under the shower with him, tried to get him to vomit and held his head so he wouldn’t drown in it, tried to comfort him, [/SIZE]
    Hmmmm, good example. I personally respect the way you handled it better. Wait & dress down the kid when he's out of danger.

Quote Originally Posted by DanaStrauss View Post

But I need a release from all that pressure to be Mr. Studboy all the time.
    I'm not being critical, but it sounds like you're defining yourself by how women react to you sexually. Is there any other aspect of you life (not necessarily associated w/ women) where you feel you can't act/respond in your preferred way because of your gender?

Removed!
    [SIZE=3]I should have dressed him down for being a dumbass, thrown him head first into a shower stall, turned on the cold water and forced him to puke.[SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE] [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]How a MAN handles a problem....[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]I felt concern, compassion, and responsibility, I treated him gently, sat under the shower with him, tried to get him to vomit and held his head so he wouldn’t drown in it, tried to comfort him.[/SIZE][SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]How a WOMAN resolves a challenge....[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]There is a glowing example of what "we" experience. Men are not brutes but we are raised to be. Compasion is a "weakness" for men and men can never be waek.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3][/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Ohh but women can, and that is the difference. Hust watch both closley and observe how they interact with each other and you will see it.[/SIZE]
    Read my monthly column On URNA And The Gender Society

Real women were built to be admired. Why be ashamed or hurt if you admire a well crafted copy or immitation?

Banned Read only

Deep Waters

[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]When I was @ 14 or so and living with relatives, for reasons unknown to me then or now, when I found myself alone in the house I dug my female cousin's panties out of her stuff and wore them. Was I CD'ing or fetishing or just experimenting sexually, I have no idea. Fast forward to @ 6 or 7 years ago (I am now 69). I had reason to contact a former girlfriend. During the course of that conversation, which was on a purely social basis, she mentioned to me that she would have liked to see me wearing pantyhose when we were together.
    That caused me to get a few pairs and try them on. I liked the feeling. Then in a few subsequent conversations she suggested other garments and 'things', which I also tried. From there I have developed into what I consider to be full CDing, at least part time. When dressed I do feel that I have a 'different' personality that others have described on this and many other strings. Moreover, even though I wear panties 24/7, have long hair and wear earrings full time now, I feel the compulsion to fully dress and assume a femine personna also described many times in other threads here.

Am I a latent (fill in the blank)? I don't know, and frankly am not that concerned to label it or me. I just know that I am now what I am, and consider not having these feelings and yearnings when I was younger and thinner as a tremendose gap in my life. I have a sneaking feeling that I am drawn to much younger styles and hem lines as some sort of unconcious throwback to that teen experience wearing those panties. But whatever, at my age I intend to live and enjoy the 'life' as long as I can.

I'm not being critical, but it sounds like you're defining yourself by how women react to you sexually. Is there any other aspect of you life (not necessarily associated w/ women) where you feel you can't act/respond in your preferred way because of your gender?
    I'd say that romantic situations are really the only ones I had difficulty dealing with internally. I just couldn't handle the rejection anymore, especially seeing the animals I was getting dumped for all the time.

I could handle things like rumors about my sexuality spreading through my high school and college. I could deal with a roommate moving out because he was afraid I was going to come on to him. I could live with strangers yelling "faggot" as I walked around town in my silk shirt and long hair. Those things were easier to deal with because I could write off the people involved as idiots and go hang out with friends who liked me the way I was. In fact, I still have to steel myself against comments when I go out to concerts and clubs as Dana because I still get catcalls and insults no matter how conservatively I'm dressed. But romantic situations, by their very nature, are different. Their impact is much more personal than a ten second interaction with some stranger on the street.

Now, that's not to say that life as a young effeminite straight man is peachy keen either. Car mechanics will treat you differently if you're wearing a clean white poet shirt and slacks vs. a pair of grease-stained jeans and a muscle tee, just like they have a reputation for treating women differently from men. Jerk bosses will try to intimidate you because they don't think you'll fight back. Oddly enough, by flexing my muscles and getting in one boss's face, I earned his respect and had fewer problems. But I had to summon my inner macho man to do it. In fact, people in general will try to dominate you. Religious folk will go out of their way to "share the message" with you because you obviously like a guy in leather to do you up the butt, I mean you *are* one of those people, right? Imagine their surprise when I told them what they had to say was interesting, but I like girls!

These days, most of the gender role issues I have are related to my marriage, because my wife is my partner in almost every thing I do. I've also put on some weight & musicle since high school & college, so when I'm effeminite in "guy mode" I come across as just being a flamboyant, stylish rock star type (still recognizeable as a hetero man with a woman on my arm, so I guess people think that's ok).

So I guess to sum up this really long post, I've had problems over the years being an effeminite male, but the only ones that really bothered me involved romantic/sexual situations because, well, being lonely sucks.
    Last edited by DanaStrauss; 10-03-2006 at 04:20 PM.

[SIZE=3]I’m a former US Marine, Airborne qualified, with spare macho to burn. While on temp assignment to Ft Benning in 1982 during an off duty drunk fest, I had a young Army Spec 4 try and out drink me in Jack Daniel’s, I was a Sgt at the time. I let him try since I knew I would win. Sure enough he retired from the competition completely trashed and I was still standing. A few hours later I was awaked from my stupor by his roomie, he explained to me that this kid was in bad shape from all the alcohol he had consumed and was a bit worried. By “stereotype”, I should have dressed him down for being a dumbass, thrown him head first into a shower stall, turned on the cold water and forced him to puke. But I was still buzzing from the booze and my guard was down and I didn’t handle it that way. I felt concern, compassion, and responsibility for this child I had led into this condition, I treated him gently, sat under the shower with him, tried to get him to vomit and held his head so he wouldn’t drown in it, tried to comfort him, all the while his buddy was standing by watching with this “look” on his face. After that it was assumed I was a homosexual, which I later disproved, but I was still weird never the less. I was more careful after that, to act out my gender role more appropriately.[/SIZE]

CORPSMAN UP !!!!!! those should of been your first words sarge....I was an 8404 stationed at the supply depot in Albany Georgia just 84 miles away..... SEMPER FI...............
    "I DREAM TO BE THAT ONE DAY I WILL BE"

I'm really not clear on this feminine/masculine personality thing
    Neither am I. Seriously. I am not picking a fight or trying to quote you out of context...

Speaking for myself, I agree with what you said - most personality types are not gender specific. And really, I think, Human males and females are more alike than we are different, when it comes to our essence, personality, spirit, whatever.

I know that my wife tells me she likes to wear sexy, feminine clothes. So do I. We're not very different there, either. What happened, growing up, to make me want to dress like her? Why? That may be seriously weird, but it just is.

We are not that different.

Hope this came out right...I've been wanting to (try) say this in response to some earlier posts, but can never get it right enough to post.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    What I don't understand are the repeated comments by CDers that they want to be in touch, express, demonstrate the feminine side of their personality. Huh??? What components of your personality do you find feminine that can't be expressed because of your clothing?
    Well I guess the short answer for me is nothing! There is nothing in my personality that can't be expressed because of what clothes I may, or may not, be wearing. But there are times when being in a certain mind-set can be influenced and enhanced by external assistance, and the clothes do that for me. Women's clothes grip you in different places on your body (especially underwear) and the textures, colors, and styles make you feel different about yourself. It's almost like they give you permission to be something that we're told from an early age that we (guys) are not supposed to be. The social conditioning that we experience all our lives makes it difficult to act in a way that is percived as feminine, so the clothes act as a trigger to help us overcome those inhibitions that we have.

It might be asked, because I know that these clothes are made for women, and I feel different when I wear them, does this mean the clothes must we be "making me feminine?" No. They don't make me feminine, but they do make me feel pretty, and feeling pretty makes me feel less manly. Feeling less manly (for me anyway) makes me not want to do anything guyish. I wouldn't want to fix my car in a sweater set and capris for example (not that fixing a car is inherently manly, it just feels like it to me ) So what I'm saying is by wearing the clothes, it puts me in a different mind-set. A mind-set that influences certain personality traits in me and (in my mind at least) makes me feel better about myself whilst nurturing behavior that I think suits me and also makes me feel happy.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Not sure that remodeling is so much a manly thing or not , I have done my fare share of it, including adding 2 sheds an a fence to the property, and landscaping, however I would like to believe that I inherited these qualities from my mother
    (may she RIP) , being that she spent the majority of her life doing just that type of work,
    I also spent 4 years in the Navy an another 8 in the Army National Guard
    I work at a refinery have for 14 years , every one out there is either X military or runs a Ranch on the side, redneck vill if you ever saw it. so much testosterone running around there makes one want to gag

So does one act in accordance to his/her environment , Yes , when I’m with friends , ones that I’ve known for years I loosen up , they just think I’m me an don’t question how I act, though I have gotten a couple looks from them on occasion ( none of them know ).

My wife ask the same question is it a sexual thing , it may have some sexual/romantic aspects to dressing up , but being that my wife has said that she is not in to women there will be nothing sexual/romantic foreseeable in the near future For Ivy ,

For why I do what I do , I Cannot honestly say, all I know is it is who I am an how I feel inside, an that part of me is woman an likes to show it from time to time
    AN IT HARM NONE DO WHAT YE WILL
    http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndid=124865919
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

choices

It's just a conscious choice with me, Tree. As you know, I've been telling about getting more in touch with my masculine self lately. My point is to show that I'm equally proud of that part of myself. A lot of gals downplay that as being a "disadvantage" whereas others, especially the F T M CD's see it as desirable. What I'm finding out is that I feel equally at "home" being either Richard or Ericka. I actually identify more with with the F T M's and have a good idea where they are coming from. It was building in me for awhile and I hinted a lot about my "tomboy" aspect as Ericka. Being all "sugar and spice" as Ericka and too "tooti fruiti" kind of makes me sick simply because I have to be myself. If that includes "locker room" talk and smoking Havanas as Ericka, so be it. You don't know how many times I've been accused of not acting like a "lady" by my CD sisters. Now that I'm in Richard "mode", they seem to think my behavior is acceptable as if guys have the edge when it comes to "crudeness". Whatever. That perception will change believe me. My goal is to show everyone I'm myself regardless of what I look like. The other thing is that I control who I am not vice versa. When I'm Ericka, the gal does tend to want to take over which is another reason I'm going to be Richard for awhile. Mainly to convince myself that I can function as one or the other and both. The bottom line is that whoever I present myself as at any particular time is totally my choice. Ericka/Rich

If I may, I'd like to interject another thought into this discussion.

First off, please don't get me wrong. I think this is a perfectly valid and important question. It's one I've discussed several times with some wonderful women of my acquaintance.

But here's the thing: Isn't this just a little bit like asking, 'How is life there on planet Mars different from life here on planet Venus?' when you're someone who's never been to Mars, asking someone who's never been to Venus?

You could very well be right.

Quote Originally Posted by annephorcy View Post
    But here's the thing: Isn't this just a little bit like asking, 'How is life there on planet Mars different from life here on planet Venus?' when you're someone who's never been to Mars, asking someone who's never been to Venus?
    No offense taken. You may be absolutely correct & I may never understand why no matter how much data/perspectives I gather. And it's entirely possible that there is no logical explanation. I want to try, though (otherwise I wouldn't be on this forum).

Aside from academic curiousity, it has changed my 26 yr marriage, and has apparently effected many lives - both positively & negatively. I see my husband as a wonderful person 1st. The man part is secondary, and now sometimes tirtiary I hear his comments about being pretty, softer, letting out a sensitive side that he doesn't feel he has been able to most his life. The man (person) I love is a guy that has never struck another human being, built snowmen, played tackle football in the living room, taught his daughters to throw a frisby/fish/ride dirt bikes/hunt/ski/love Colts football, kissed boo-boos to make them better, added funny voices to the bed-time stories, loves & is faithful to his wife, makes her feel beautiful & special, etc, etc. All this was done while dressed as a man who did guy things and can be the crudest, rudest guy's guy you've ever seen.

How much more sensitivity is there? From my perspective he is a good person, regardless of skirt length. I've seen many comments here from Cders who say they didn't/don't make very good men. I find that so sad! Why such a negative masculine self-image and how does enfemme fix that?

I may never get my head around it and either way will not change a thing nor do I expect it to. I believe the comments I've rec'd to this thread have been very sincere and some included excellent, specific examples of how they want to behave, but feel they can't in drab. I may have never been to Venus & you never to Mars, but I think if we describe the places clearly, we can at least start to share the experience.

First of all, I absolutely adore women. I think most CDs view women objectively rather that as an object. Having said that, I don't crossdress to get in touch with my feminine side. I believe both my masculine and feminine
    sides are expressed daily. While I might appear to look feminine or masculine
    the truth is I'm still me, a combination of both. I crossdress as a means to emulate those who I adore and because it is sensational(see my July thread).
    In short, I am in touch with me! I will admit that crossdressing can and has been confusing and I didn't get here overnight. It is very difficult to separate feelings from thoughts and things and thoughts and things from feelings.
    "Lady Fingers"