Thread: All girls in their 20s!!!

All girls in their 20s!!!

Hey girls,

You know, I never really need to post on this site because of all the wonderful and EXTREMELY helpful advice in the already posted threads. However, one thing that's bugged me for a long time was, do you girls in your 20s have a hard time finding the courage to actually shop in places with the clothes I like (i.e. Aeropostal, Abercrombie, and Rue 21 type stores) I want to go for that (as previously posted and so eloquently put) "teeny-bopper"/young woman look. And what's more is that I think I'm so intimidated to make purchases in these stores because I've been the real masculine, but sensitive guy growing up. Now, I want to be the pretty young woman that I see in magizines and whatnot (lol, writing this I sense a certain pattern that also appears in the puberty stages and beyond of girls growing up).

My point, and inherently, my question is, are the other girls out there as PETRIFIED as I am to shop in these places where the fear of being judged by a fellow man prevents you from going through with the set plan of "I'm going out to buy a pretty (fill in the blank) and am not coming back without it," only to find that indeed, you've yet again allowed yourself to chicken out through the rationalization that you've no need to spend the money on those items? Just wanting some encouragement from those still looking to shop in the possibly not-as-friendly-as-Lane-Bryant stores!

Quote Originally Posted by Corillis View Post

"teeny-you from going through with the set plan of "I'm going out to buy a pretty (fill in the blank) and am not coming back without it," only to find that indeed, you've yet again allowed yourself to chicken out through the rationalization that you've no need to spend the money on those items? Just wanting some encouragement from those still looking to shop in the possibly not-as-friendly-as-Lane-Bryant stores!

"CHARGE !"

I used to feel self-conscious when shopping for clothes but not anymore. Guess I've just learnt to ignore the occasional stares and murmurs. Sure, they might give you a look at first but after that, most people will probably go back to minding their own business, at least where I come from.
    [SIZE="2"]Life is beautiful in the eyes of an accepted crossdresser[/SIZE]

The Unlucky
    Well I would not dare shop for things over here on a military post, it could ruin my career.

When I'm home on leave I work up the courage to buy stuff for keland I've had nothing but good times doing it.

I've found that sales people in the "younger orriented" stores have been very much more accepting of requests and asking for help than stores for more "mature" customers. The youth of this day are much more accepting than other generations. Try it!

Michelle
    michellej

I've found Aeropostale, American Eagle and the like to be perfectly accomadating. Even when the guy at the register is some "frat boy wanna be", just be friendly, make small talk, and it's all good.

Also, like ShuShu said, it's kind of fun to go ask for a fitting room with a distinctly girly choice of clothing, regardless of the store. I don't even ask permission if they "allow men", i just walk up to a salesgirl (usually the one that greeted me when I walked in.), and ask to start a fitting room. A surprising amount of salespeople don't even flinch.

One of the funniest experiences I had recently was at Ann Taylor...I tried on a suit and a skirt/sweater combo. The suit was awesome (killer caramel color...love it!!) but the skirt's length just didn't work. I bitched about the lenght to the salesgirl as I was leaving the fitting room. She laughed and said that she had the same problem with that skirt...if it was about two inches shorter it would be perfect. I agreed, and we made small talk the rest of the time while she rang me up for the suit.
    "There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. "

- Anais Nin

Secretary Wannabe
    I have never been in those stores. I don't shop there for guy clothes or girl clothes. Too expensive. I do know that department stores are nice and they could care less who you are. My twin brother bought a dress at Sears and the girl just thought he was getting it for his girlfriend, which he wasn't.

Ya that’s the same look I go for. I do feel more intimidated going into those stores than a department store or target; Im more worried someone that knows me will see me with a gang of women’s clothes. I mostly shop online

Quote Originally Posted by melisa6 View Post
    Ya that’s the same look I go for. I do feel more intimidated going into those stores than a department store or target; Im more worried someone that knows me will see me with a gang of women’s clothes. I mostly shop online
    Funny, I'm just the opposite. I feel weirder going to Target than I do going to the mall, and I'm especially more concerned about running into someone I know at Target.
    "There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. "

- Anais Nin

I've pretty much given up on what sales clerks may think when I purchase women's items. I haven't shopped enfemme in over 10 years, but still purchase items I might like for myself.

A couple tips. First of all, pay in cash...take the items home, try them on, and if they don't suit you virtually all stores have a refund policy. Second, if you're shopping in a major retail outlet, pick up a simple card, "Happy Birthday to my Wife" or "Happy Anniversary" to go along with your purchases. To further disguise your motive, shop grungy(hair uncombed, soiled jeans and t-shirt, unshaved, etc.) if you can stand it, and if you sense some suspision from the clerk just look a little embarrassed and say something like "I almost forgot my wife's birthday. I hope she likes what I picked out."

Or, you could just say, "Does it really matter why I'm spending my money in your store?"

Edie

Shopping is all about attitude. If you act insecure and scared, people will treat you as such. If you fill yourself with confidence, no one will dare say a thing. Walk in the store, pick up things and browse like you own the place and you'll be treated like you own the place.
    Hail Satin!

You know, the first time you go it is scary. But then you go a second, and it is still a little scary, but not as much. Then the third, and the fourth and before you know it it isn't scary at all. I can go shopping now and not even think twice. You will find that most people could care less. You are going to think to yourself that everyone is looking at you and wondering but it's just not true. Life is good.

It is definitely difficult. Younger stores may have people who are more tolerant overall but the sense of dread is almost worse somehow. The general public would never think of a CD going there because it is so normal. Many people still think of the stereotypes of short skirts and high heels (what can I say, I love them too!) but many of us also enjoy a more normal look.

Banned Read only
    not at all

Must...Buy...Clothes... Katrina's Avatar
    I still get intimidated sometimes when a young sales girl is working the registers at any store. I spend about half of my time shopping in the juniors department in any store, so I'm used to being around younger women while I'm browsing. It gets easier but I still have days where I chicken out and head home with my tail between my legs. Then there are days where I try on a cute pair of high heel boots with two women (one really cute) around. That was a fun shopping trip and the boots are awesome!
    -Katrina

It's the shoes...

...putting the "T" in GLBT.

The world would be a better place if everybody learned yoga...

Rated "TG"...for some gender bending

dhopping for feminine clothes

I shop largely at Lane Bryant or Torrid and have never had a problem using a fitting room, or getting questions asked about items in the stores. I wear a lot of Lane bryant clothes and everyone in the store that I"m in sees me wearing very definately feminine tops and womens pants when I shop so the sales associates know what im buying is for me. Yes, there are the ones who will look but soon after will mind their own business. Stores are only interested in selling what they have on the shelves and don't care why you are buying. They only want your money in their cash register. The sales assocoates also should offer great customer service while you are in the store If you see an item dont be a fraid to ask to use the fitting room, however the S/A should ask if you want to try something on before you buy it.
    Last edited by serinalynn; 10-05-2006 at 09:30 PM.

I go to those types of stores alot and never have a problem. I always pay with my card as well.

I just shop online most of the time. When that's not really an option I walk into a shop with all the confidence in the world to make a purchase for my girlfriend
    Most people lose interest in you after 5 minutes and even the ones who don't are usually looking for some kind of reaction from you. Ignore them and go about your business.

i definitely know what you mean! i tried shopping at an 'express' once for some girls jeans (cause express jeans for girls are AWESOME!), but seeing the other young people all around, i chickened out and left. its pretty hard for me to shop for clothes in those kinds of stores -- i usually just keep it to the department stores like tj maxx and marshalls, where they will sometimes carry some 'overflow' sets of clothes from those kinds of stores (like aero, abercrombie, and american eagle).
    [SIZE="1"]i just wanna DANCE.

myspace[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by ReginaK View Post
    Shopping is all about attitude. If you act insecure and scared, people will treat you as such. If you fill yourself with confidence, no one will dare say a thing. Walk in the store, pick up things and browse like you own the place and you'll be treated like you own the place.
    They aren't going to believe you when you bring it up yourself that you're buying for a wife or girlfriend. And you can save your money rather than buy a card.

And the easiest way is to be wearing femme when you go into the store.

If you have a wife, girlfriend, or even a friend that knows that you like to dress up, and they are the same size as you, take them along. They can model the clothes for oyu too! I'm still too scared to buy stuff alone. I'm lucky to have a (somewhat) understanding girlfriend. The only problem is when I do this, she sometimes "Borrows" some of my clothes and I never see them again... except on her. Otherwise I still shop online.