Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Age Appropriate

Age Appropriate

I Know that in my mind I've always wanted to be a young woman! Eighteen to the mid twenties. I love the styles these ggs wear. But I think for realism's sake I need to dress in a believable manner for a 50 year old. I can have the Young fashions for home wear. But want to dress realistically to venture out. Any fashion directions? What to wear girls???

Jennifer

I find that if i dress roughly about 10 years younger than i am i can get away with it ...... I am 50 also but when dressed i dont look anywhere near that age ... well i hope i dont

hugz Mallisa x

What to wear

You have to experiment to develop your own style, Hon. You can get "feedback" from others whether they say anything or not. Just watch the facial expressions and body language when you "present" as your femme self. That's how I developed my style. I never let "fashion" dictate to me, however. I wear what I consider to be comfortable. Ericka/Rich

Age isn't the only thing to consider when one makes a choice for clothes. I think that clothes choice depends also a lot of your overal figures.

If you are tall and slim, younger style may well suit you, but if, as me, you are on the plump side, then it is better to stick to the style corresponding to your age group. Note that this leaves one with a lot of choices these days... It is no longer the case that a woman wearing XL size has to dress in black with conservative style clothes.

My GG friend who is about ten years older than me helped me finding modern style age appropriate clothes for me.

As a side, but related comment, some of us tend to dress in a style that was in fashion a long time ago. I wander if it isn't the image of the mother that is still there...

Eugenie

Jennifer, I'm in the same basic situation. If I look at the types of clothes I've been buying, I have to admit that most of them are aimed at 20-somethings, and my 20-something use-by date expired quite a while ago. I don't have an SO, or a close GG friend I feel ok outing myself to, so I've been considering getting in touch with a "personal image consultant" to get advice on what styles, cuts and colours will work for me and which ones won't, as well as help with general behaviour, deportment and mannerisms to develop a femme presentation that won't make me look like a laughingstock in public. I'm not aiming for a presentation that will be 100% convincing, as long as it's good enough that people won't bother/harrass me if I'm in girl-mode in public then that's good enough for me.

What I picture myself as in my mind and what I see in the mirror are two different things. I am also 50, very masculine build and a little overweight. So, I am restricted in what I can get away with.

What I do is wear what I like. Certain styles and colors appeal to me. I like skirts that are above the knee, but not too short and not too tight. I have a couple of black skirts that go well with many tops. And I like colors that are bright but not gaudy.

And I have a wife that will let me know when things just aren't working. For me, I try to go with things that I'm personally comfortable in and colors I like. It's nice to look in the mirror and think, "Not bad!"

Well there's no way I'm going to dress my age!! Go get some support hose and an old frumpy dress!! Think again. Hehe

Just because your old doesn't mean you can't dress feminine or stylish or younger!! Just go to the local mall or department store and see what the other "middle aged" chicks are wearing!! And pickup some style magazines.. Observe and learn!! That's what I do!!

Love Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

This time of the year? Something warm.
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

Resident Polymath MarinaTwelve200's Avatar
    I say dress the age you appear to be--Im 57 but dont look it in fem. So I dress like mid 30s.

I understand your concerns,Jennifer.I think that most all of us know that glitter makeup and pink plastic telephones aren't quite fitting for people over like 25.But there's other considerations.While I enjoy many clothing items that are conservative I also think that oldtimerism is for The Waltons and Mayberry RFD.I have an aunt that is past 70 years old and she has always refused to wear certain kinds of Senior items.In fact,she dresses like a 20 year old.With the help of tinted hair and the fact that she's built thin but not skinny it all comes together to look just fine.But I do think that people should wear the neckties,suits,etc.for special ocaisions,weddings,funerals,etc.. Samantha

Banned Read only
    I refuse to dress like a grandma

Grandma clothes

Quote Originally Posted by Snookums View Post
    I refuse to dress like a grandma
    I respect that Snookums, but I AM a Grandma (and Grandpa) and don't mind, really Ericka

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    Just because your old doesn't mean you can't dress feminine or stylish or younger!!
    I agree with you here but the bit about "younger", yes maybe a few years younger but what does stand out is a 40 something trying to dress like a 20 year old and then they wonder why people stare and make comments.
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

I agree with a lot of the comments about how you should dress to look good but on the other hand a lot of times I dress in a manner that makes me feel good....even though I may look ridiculous....well at least I think I do....lol...but who cares anyways

Michelle

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra GG View Post
    I agree with you here but the bit about "younger", yes maybe a few years younger but what does stand out is a 40 something trying to dress like a 20 year old and then they wonder why people stare and make comments.
    So a 54 year old guy dressing like an 18 year old girl could be problematic? Hehe

Hmmmmmm.....Maybe they weren't staring at me because they thought I was a guy in a dress afterall......

Love Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Dear we're all dressing as women so wht not also go younger. If I dress my age I wouldn't dress at all. Women can dress younger with makeup anti age creams you can't tell how old they are. So not wanting be to a 59 year old man I can be a 40 something woman I hope.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

dress

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Keely Smith View Post
    I Know that in my mind I've always wanted to be a young woman! Eighteen to the mid twenties. I love the styles these ggs wear. But I think for realism's sake I need to dress in a believable manner for a 50 year old. I can have the Young fashions for home wear. But want to dress realistically to venture out. Any fashion directions? What to wear girls???

Jennifer
    Im sixty and still love rubber.pvc. seen this somewere[be yourselef and not what pepople thinkyou should be]

Quote Originally Posted by whisky12 View Post
    Im sixty and still love rubber.pvc. seen this somewere[be yourselef and not what pepople thinkyou should be]

Too True!

I guess at the end of the day the real clincher is why you dress. If you dress because you really want to look like a woman then dressing your age is probably more important. If you dress for the fun of it then its not as important. Since I slimmed down I've been wearing a lot of club style clothes - cropped tops and so on. Its stuff that 20 year olds would wear but it makes me feel so good so......

Untitled
    Forever and a day we are asking society to accept that we are not an aberation, we will not be molesting anyone, we are people who just want to do what we want, when we want and within the law.

Society always frowns upon the "mutton dressed as lamb", and yet some of us want to add that little item to the melting pot and then complain when we get a bad name.

Some seem not just content to "buck" society once by wearing a dress, they then want to rub salt in it and dress like a teenager.

It's ok for the club or the privacy of your home, but for the high street?
    Listen carefully to what is said, quite often you can hear what is not being said

The joy of correcting a mistake can bring pain to another

Quote Originally Posted by Nigella View Post
    Forever and a day we are asking society to accept that we are not an aberation, we will not be molesting anyone, we are people who just want to do what we want, when we want and within the law.

Society always frowns upon the "mutton dressed as lamb", and yet some of us want to add that little item to the melting pot and then complain when we get a bad name.

Some seem not just content to "buck" society once by wearing a dress, they then want to rub salt in it and dress like a teenager.

It's ok for the club or the privacy of your home, but for the high street?
    I think you are right on.

susie bear

No matter what anyone says or any advice that is given you will all just go and do your own thing and that is fine.

If girls want to go out looking a lot younger than their age fair enough but don't get all high and mighty when you are laughed at and made the butt of jokes.

We have a hard enough time as it is trying to get the public to accept the TG community and when people go out dressed inappropriately for their age it is one step forward two steps back.

Quote Originally Posted by whisky12 View Post
    Guilty it's in my signature and I agree with it but it says "be yourself" meaning that if you are TG then then that is what you are, next bit "and not what others think you should be" meaning that you are what you are and not what society thinks you should be. Simple really.

Quote Originally Posted by suzi_cd View Post
    Too True!

I guess at the end of the day the real clincher is why you dress. If you dress because you really want to look like a woman then dressing your age is probably more important. If you dress for the fun of it then its not as important. Since I slimmed down I've been wearing a lot of club style clothes - cropped tops and so on. Its stuff that 20 year olds would wear but it makes me feel so good so......
    I totally agree if you are at home wear what you like but in the street it just don't work.

You all want to go shopping and mingle and be part of the crowd so why dress in a way that gets you noticed for the worng reasons.
    Last edited by Sandra; 10-08-2006 at 03:06 PM. Reason: add another quote
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

Thanks for the posts!!
    all of this is very good advice> Ithink most of you are right, dress what you feel! I think I feel age apropriate minus 10 maybe 15! as for society well what are they afraid of?? somethin in the closet maybe? and what about freedom? are you free if someone else dictates what freedom is? You girls are the best
    and you know how to make someone feel welcome!! thanks to all

luv Jennifer

I think it is more important to dress appropriate for the activity than to "dress your age". If you dress only at home - anything goes. If you are going clubbing - something flashy and short is fine, no matter the age. If you are going to the mall - your clubbing outfit will likely seem very much out of place. Most young girls will be in jeans and t-shirt for most activities. I have seen plenty of older GG's in classy and stylish dresses or skirtsuits in restaurants, church, or special events. Dressing your age really has more to do with maturity in fashion choices than with the question of whether or not a 50 or 60 something should be wearing a mini skirt.
    Phoebe

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Ericka Richards View Post
    I respect that Snookums, but I AM a Grandma (and Grandpa) and don't mind, really Ericka
    hi girlfriend,grandmas are cool,I loved both of mine very much,and was heartbroken when both passed,my SO is a grandma,and I'm crazy about her,I just don't want to dress like my grandmas did.
    They both were farmers wives.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra GG View Post
    My girl friend is in her late forties and she can wear the styles the twenty somethings wear and look just as good if not better than most of them. It depends on your size shape and features as to what you are able to wear. Billie Jean