Thread: How do I search for local CD friendly shops?

StephanieCD

How do I search for local CD friendly shops?

I've looked through Tristen's links but I'm not sure where to start... where would I look for a TG/CD friendly shop in my area? Just moved to a new place and it'd be nice if there were something around here for me to ease into...

Tristen Cox
    Hmmm.. All I can say is do a search for all the shops in your area(not sure which type you are interested in) then check through them to see if they specify TG/CD welcome. Sorry can't be of more help. The only link I believe I had in my list gives events and hotels and such. Anyhow good luck

Love
    Tristen

StephanieCD
    Thanks I'm just having a hard time finding anything, you know? Thought I could find something like a transformation shop or something, you know? Oh well. Thanks

StephanieCD
    I wasn't sure if there was a listing of tg/cd friendly storefronts or something, you know? Maybe I should put one together.... hmmm...

Anyway, I'm in Lowell, Mass

There are plenty of them in Toronto. Come on up - we'll go shopping!
    XOXO,

Racheal

Wendy beat me to it.

Now, are you looking for something else? Like a Lane Bryant, Fashion Bug, etc. type store? These are two I like to go to.
    DonnaT

Vallari (Goddess) ;)
    Try checking with any GLBT clubs and organizations in your area. Often they will give out literature that includes ads for local GLBT friendly shops as well as local events of interest, etc. If they dont have a directory of some sort im sure they can at least tell you a few by word of mouth. I found a suprising number of GLBT friendly stores up in Waco! Even places where they do drag shows! Really suprised me. Hope this is of help to you.

Vallari, why don't you pm me about those Waco area stores? I'd love to know what they are! thanks, Olivia

Conservative Crossdresser Felicity's Avatar
    It's simple. Get out the yellow pages, make a list of everywhere you may want to go. Call them. They don't know who you are. Ask.... just that simple. Some places may ask for you to come in at certain hours, when it is less busy, some places may give you a big welcome, and some places may say they prefer not to serve you. You will get mixed results, but over the phone, you are annonomous. When I first started buying my own stuff that needed to be tried on, I was shy about trying their corsets on. It was a privately owned business, and the owner had me come to the store after hours and was exceptionally helpful. This was some years ago, and I left with that Stormy Leather Hourglass Corset for $289 that I spoke of before.

If you are paradoid about someone tracing your number from the store back to you, look in the features section in the phonebook on how to disable your displayed number so they cannot see it on a caller ID.

Some places may say something like "our clerk Cindy loves to dress up guys here!."

Try the phone, you will not be disapointed...

64 and still pretty Steffie-Lee's Avatar

Go Shopping.....

Will you go out shopping as Stephanie, or "in drab" ? If Stephanie passes well in public, you should have no problems shopping, even trying on clothes. If "in drab" there is no reason why you can't go into a shop, take what interests you off the rack to the cashier. Your Cash, is accepted every where. if you must try on clothes, you can go to most of the smaller shops "in drab" by appointment, call first. I have done all three over the years, and have never had a problem. The other way is by straight mail order. Yes they do ship things to a man, with his credit card or check. The main thing is have the money and spend it freely..... The last thing a shopkeeper want's in his store, is to have you stoned, or call the cops......
    Most people see what is and ask "WHY?".....
    I see what never was and ask "WHY NOT?"...........

StephanieCD
    Quote Originally Posted by Steffie-Lee
    Your Cash, is accepted every where.

Very good point. I chickened out about buying a pair of nylons in the grocery store today... I need to remember that my money's as good as anyone's.

Sigh.

Thank you all for your encouragement.

Here is are a couple sights that list lots of places, and note the ones that they know are friendly. Good Hunting, Huggs, Bonnie

http://www.crystal-cdtg.com/index.html

http://www.alaska.net/~kathryn/clothes.htm
    Last edited by Bonnie-OR; 01-23-2005 at 10:23 PM.
    Lord, the money we do spend on government, and it's not one bit better than the government we got for 1/3 the price 20 years ago. Will Rogers, 1879-1935