Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Nair" Don't do it!

If only dreams came true. susancheerleader's Avatar

"Nair" Don't do it!

I decided to try that "Nair" hair removal for my legs. I figured it was an easy way to remove hair rather then shaving. I followed the directions, but OH MY GOD what a horrible reaction I had.
    Most of my legs turned into a painful red rash that I couldn't do anything about. I tried washing, I tried skin softener, I tried Allo gel to no avail. The only thing I could do was wait for two days for the rash to go away. During that time I couldn't wear pants or have anything touch the skin on my legs.

I don't know what happened but I am staying away from that stuff.
    So much for the "easy way" to remove hair.

Oh. I almost forgot. Nair smells horrible too.

Hmm....

Maybe you left it on your skin too long? Some people are more sensitive than others. I use it when I dont shave for awhile. I'll let it take off the majority of the thick hair on my legs. I then let things settle, then I shave in a normal routine without issue.

I only have to leave Nair in place for about 7 minutes for it do it's thing. They also have different scents available that smell okay.

Sorry you had such a rough time.

Exclamation

I have had couple of saws from using veet but when i shave i get a realy bad rash!!! I guess we cant win
    Did you shower before using it i think it can mess things up when you use hot water before all though im not sure!!!
    Im not any help at all am I !!!!!!!!

SORRY HONEY

Love zoe j xxxxxxxx

3 minutes

It says to leave it on for 3 minutes and "test" an area.
    3 minutes is all I left it on for.

I guess my skin is too sensitive for this.

Edit: No hot water used before applying Nair.

Proud Wife of Danielle65 Anita Mae GG's Avatar
    Massachusetts (on the Connecticut border)
    Sounds like you left it on too long. Danielle did that the first time and it ate her skin right off in places. It works you just ahve to be careful. Also some are more sensitive than others. Try the Nair for Men instead

To dream of the person you would like to be is a waste of the person you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Anita Mae GG View Post
    Sounds like you left it on too long. Danielle did that the first time and it ate her skin right off in places. It works you just ahve to be careful. Also some are more sensitive than others. Try the Nair for Men instead
    Actually, I've found that the men's stuff doesn't work as well as the standard Nair. Just my experience though.

Not to suggest that either one works that well really. Shaving's much quicker and easier. (at least for me)
    Change is inevitable, growth is optional.

I used Nair several times with no problems then all of a sudden it burned and it took about a week for the rash to go away. So i tried Neet and it did the same thing so now i just shave.

is in her vest
    Hi

I've often thought about these chemical products..theres even one to use "in" the shower now...theres nothing I'd like more than to quickly and effortlessly flush my hair away...but after seeing this, I think I'll keep shaving and put up with the odd careless nick...
    Censorship reflects society's lack of confidence in itself. It is a hallmark of an authoritarian regime. ~Potter Stewart

I've got pretty thick skin {in more ways than one} and have used Nair with no problem. It is a serious chemical so use it with care, follow the instructions and use a little on a small area first.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Content and Happy
    I shave every other day. I just don't like any stub at all. I've used Nair and had no problems. To me, it makes my legs really silky after I use it. I guess every one has a reaction different than others. I do prefer shaving though.

Lanore

I have found that Veet for sensitive skin is much milder than Nair. The mens products do not (in my opinion) work as well as the womens products. Also you have to be careful to not leave it on too long or it will burn.

Susan--I'm sorry you had such a problem with Nair. But I've got to tell you, I'm with Lenore: Nair is the only thing I use anymore. Hair regrowth is slower and less stubbly, and Nair is much faster than shaving. Hopefully you simply left it on too long and aren't allergic to it. Now you've got to try waxing. OOUUCHH!!!
    Marie

I've had so-so results with Nair.. I can take it or leave it. With a good sharp (triple) blade razor I can shave my legs in less than ten minutes.
    So as far as time goes.. it's a toss up. The Nair may last a day or two longer than a shave, but I kinda like the way a razor "planes" off the surface of my skin, it's always smoother.

Susan?/ How many legs do you have?? You said..."most of my legs...."

My advice is to NOT use nair...I cant stand the stuff...I use very lathered up soap/shampoo...and only after my legs have been in the water for 15 minutes...and a good razor!

enjoy your evening! Charity's GG

glad your ok. I hope your legs did not get scared of anything like that. bet you wont do that again.
    keep on gurlin everyone. paula may

Banned Read only
    Keep in mind, that anything you put on your skin, gets absorbed, and eventually finds it's way to your liver. A lot of things have been approved by the FDA, only to be taken off the market years later, when found to be harmful. You can't go wrong shaving.

lazer

there's nothing that works as well as lazer treatment. i tried nair, shaving, waxing, but always ended up with bumps and ingrown hairs. lazer is great, i've done 3 treatments now, whole body, and the difference is amazing, about 80% of the hair is gone, and the remaining hair can easily be shaved with no bumps or rash.

I had the same reaction but on a smaller scale. (I only tried a tiny spot at first.) I find that Veet is much gentler and works better.

Many, many years ago i tried Nair and had a very bad reaction. Swore to never use it again. About two years ago when I began to get serious about hair removal I figured that possibly I had made some mistake with the stuff and tried it again, being careful to follow the direction to the letter. Same reaction, bumps, rash, burning feeling. Never again for me. Did the shave thimg for about a year and got tired of that. Since Aug of 05 I've been getting waxed every six weeks and I love it. Hadly any hair grows back now, thinking of going to every 8 weeks between sessions.
    Lead me NOT into temptation
    (I can find my own way)
    I HAVE WALKED THAT MILE IN HER HEELS
    CURTSY to all BOW to [SIZE="3"]NONE[/SIZE]

http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt...6284/event.png

I've recently tried the veet cream with the plastic razor thing with some success, but I get loads of spots with shaving and veet etc. At least with the veet it is easier to keep going (the spots aren't sore with veet but get in the way shaving!). Does anyone know how to avoid these spots/shave rash?
    Best wishes
    Modesty

In the closet, but trying on the clothes while I'm in there!

I had some rash problems the first time or two that I tried Nair but now I use it all the time about 2 years and have no problem Tried shaving but seem to nick to much for touch up electric razor works Sorry to hear you had problems Kahlan

Nair is nasty

Tried it and came up in a red rash.

Also it only lasts about 2 days, whereas a razor I can not shave again for 3 days.

Shaving is quicker, smoother, easier, less painful, and lasts longer.

At the mo though, I am trying an electrolysis kit that I bought off ebay. Started to work on my legs!

Nair is a strong chemical and extended time on skin results in a rash. I've used an epilator for years. in the beginning it was uncomfortable, but now I have al,ost no hair growth. Just 5 minutes and my legs chest and arms are smooth. It is not for every one, but it works for me.
    Janice Ailene:

I somewhat enjoy shaving so I'll stick to that
    Angie

Shaving definitly is a lot more safe then the "Nair" idea. But some suggested they tried other hair removal products that didn't bother so much.
    While shaving is okay, I was looking for something that last a little longer and I heard the hair removal creams work better for that.

True or false?