Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CD in the mainstream media

Banned Read only
    Deep South, the land of Magnolia trees, Mint Juleps on the verandah ,hoop skirts & antebellum homes.

CD in the mainstream media

Matt Katz is a sindicated columnist who writes about gender issues.

This past week the following article was in *our* local paper.

http://www.courierpostonline.com/app...611090339/1056

I went to his web site and found not only this article, but quite a few others pertaining to gender.

Yes, he uses Halloween as the excuse for his dressing in this particular essay, but still I think it's a major step in the right direction of societal acceptance when a columnist is this brave. And to think this little one horse town didn't relegate it to the newspaper's version of the cutting room floor???

hi Vanya

it was a good read. but Matt Katz is just a reg guy .. and i don't agree with his statement he said : -
    But I did uncover a simple fact startling to someone who has lived life as a man: Female clothes are the most uncomfortable garments humans can put on their bodies. Why do women do this to themselves?

boy is he wrong.. maybe he needs to go out with some ts to show him how to dress right...
    thanks again

hugs mj
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned Read only
    Deep South, the land of Magnolia trees, Mint Juleps on the verandah ,hoop skirts & antebellum homes.
    MJ,

Not to be argumentative, but the beauty of this article *is* that this person is "just a regular guy". I'm sure the fact that he is not (but then again maybe he is) a crossdresser influenced his opinion on how uncomfortable clothes designed for the genetic female can be.

Please don't take one comment out of context and dismiss the fact that it is a good thing that genetic males wearing clothing of the genetic female is making its way into mainstream media.

Maybe we ought to invite him to join here and maybe suggest some shopping for some better fitting clothes. I think she/he may change her/his mind.

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    I thought this was a good article. Not only for the reason's you indicate but also for the fact he's trying to tell other guys that being a woman is not all it's cracked up to be....OK, I know he was only focusing on their clothes and body image but I still think it was very healthy for him to find out that "being a woman" (which he obviously wasn't actually "being a woman", it was only just wearing some clothes) made him feel that others treated him differently and judged him more. Comments like:

"I couldn't help but wonder why low-cut shirts, super-short skirts and form-fitting everythings seem to be intentionally designed to make the wearer feel as self-conscious as possible. All men ever have to worry about is zipping their flies."

or

"Just the element of dressing and what it means for the genders is far more complicated for women than it ever has been for men in any culture at any time."

and

"Girls already have more self-esteem issues than boys, so putting them in garments that emphasize every roll of fat is somewhat cruel."

Anyway, my point is it was a good article, and if he really means what he wrote, as a "regular guy", he might even treat women differently and perhaps even have more empathy for them - which can only be a good thing right?
    Last edited by Rachel Morley; 11-26-2006 at 01:25 PM.
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

any article that portrays cding in a positive light to day in main streem new papers is a step in the right direction.. societal acceptance still has a long way to go.. i wish there were more...thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Aspiring lady of leisure kay_jessica's Avatar
    OK, so he hosted a party dressed up. I don't think he is in a possition to say anyof the things he said. By his own admition he borrowed his girl friends clothes. How many of us borrowed our partners things and now have our own. Only when we buy for our selfs do we buy and wear the right size clothes. Yes off course he is going to have trouble if the panties are too small and the tights/stockings are a size to small. Yes his skirt is going to roll up and reveal all. Let him dress in clothes sized for him and wear them not for a few hours in the cumfort of his home but out there as a women for a 8 to 10 hour shift.

then let him speak

Columnist

Well, I , for one gotta give the guy credit for the guts to do it and write about it. Who knows, maybe he'll come to like it. Ericka/Rich

It is one thing to stay in your own home and dress and another to go out in the world and try to be just another girl. It's obvious that he wasn't even trying to pass as a Female. Then there's the fact that he was doing it for the columm he was writing. It's hard to express your true feelings when you are trying to get and keep people reading his articles. If he were to say it was the most delightful thig he has ever done, what would eveybody think about him. How many would really come back to read his comments knowing he likes dressing like a girl. He has alot at stake, it is his livelyhood, his Job. He is not going to risk it. Why doesn't someone Email him and find out what he really thinks or invite him here.
    Ladies have a GREAT time!
    Smile GOD LOVES you!!!
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    AMY Hepker

ROSES ARE RED
    VIOLETS ARE BLUE
    I'LL BE ME
    AND YOU BE YOU

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Angel Darling View Post
    I thought this was a good article. Not only for the reason's you indicate but also for the fact he's trying to tell other guys that being a woman is not all it's cracked up to be....OK, I know he was only focusing on their clothes and body image but I still think it was very healthy for him to find out that "being a woman" (which he obviously wasn't actually "being a woman", it was only just wearing some clothes) made him feel that others treated him differently and judged him more. Comments like:

"I couldn't help but wonder why low-cut shirts, super-short skirts and form-fitting everythings seem to be intentionally designed to make the wearer feel as self-conscious as possible. All men ever have to worry about is zipping their flies."

or

"Just the element of dressing and what it means for the genders is far more complicated for women than it ever has been for men in any culture at any time."

and

"Girls already have more self-esteem issues than boys, so putting them in garments that emphasize every roll of fat is somewhat cruel."

Anyway, my point is it was a good article, and if he really means what he wrote, as a "regular guy", he might even treat women differently and perhaps even have more empathy for them - which can only be a good thing right?

THANK YOU Angel for "getting" it. As for those of you replying negatively what is your problem with this article? Yes, he borrowed his girlfriend's clothes, yes, you admit many of you began that way.

The fact of the matter is, he got a unique perspective (albeit not an ideal one) into what it is to *be* a GG regarding clothing. Is this the basis for your objections? Have any of you read his other articles pertaining to gender issues? Maybe this man is a CD, especially given the fact that he writes about gender issues. Maybe this is his gentle way of bringing it (CDing) out of the darknened notion that it's perverted by using humor?

For society to accept CDs, there needs to be more exposure to it. This *is* that type of exposure in a totally benign concept.

Quote Originally Posted by GG Vanya View Post
    [...] it is a good thing that genetic males wearing clothing of the genetic female is making its way into mainstream media.
    As I snacked on some Halloween goods, I lost three chips and an M&M in the depths of my fake cleavage.
    The photo is horrorshow. The article, trite and belittling. If this indicates the 'accuracy' of political affairs and wars, 'tis 1984 indeed.
    Last edited by Calliope; 11-26-2006 at 02:35 PM.

THANK YOU Angel for "getting" it. As for those of you replying negatively what is your problem with this article?

Maybe this is his gentle way of bringing it (CDing) out of the darknened notion that it's perverted by using humor?

For society to accept CDs, there needs to be more exposure to it. This *is* that type of exposure in a totally benign concept.
    I shake my head, wonder, and often think something like.. "any positive or neutral exposure is better than none or negative.." Over the years CSI has had episodes about BDSM (Lady Heather), furries, sex change, crossdressing,and an adult baby. None of the episodes were a put down of any particular life style. There may have been comments in the scripts about "not getting it", but no overall moralizing against the particular life style. Yet, on many of the mailing lists I subscribe to, there were uproars about how bad the shows were, how negative they were. I don't get it.

On the other hand, maybe it has something to do with our own prejudices and beliefs.. something like if it's not said or done the way I believe, it must be bad.. sorta like the conflict on the school girl or little girl threads.
    Bobbie in Vancouver

Being pretty can be pretty painful

Thanks Vanya, for another steriotypical "man suffers to be a woman" media rendition of someone that is not really speaking for the crossdressing community but tryig to sell his collum. I am sure that he gets paid well for it!

I, as a crossdresser, do not get it like you do! But that is why God made three genders, right!

Have fun out there!

Banned Read only
    OK, for those of you ready to tar and feather this man, I suggest you read more of his articles instead of condemning him based on *one* article.

Here's a link to a list:

http://www.courierpostonline.com/app...y=COLUMNISTS07

Just as an aside, I bet if a CD had posted this link, you'd all be all over it like a Duck on a June bug with praise, but because a MAN tries to see things from a GG's perspective, you're summarily dismissing him. Can't see the forest for the trees? It *is* what my thread title says, regardless of your negativity. Figures...

Carry on.....

At a time when almost all news coverage of crossdressers is negative(seems like all I ever see are about crossdressing bank robbers), I welcome any positive light that is shown at all.

Thanks, Vanya, for sharing this story with us.
    “I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.”
    Marilyn Monroe

Very good article, he doesn't speak as a crossdresser but as a man wearing women's clothing and the difficulties associated with that. He makes one good point, women dress to please themselves, dont we do the same?
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

Being painfu isn't especially pretty

OK, for those of you ready to tar and feather this man, I suggest you read more of his articles instead of condemning him based on *one* article.
    I'm sure he's a 'good liberal' and all, but after spending 5 minutes reading a piece of cliched junk, why seek out more. This is the superinfohighway, right? Gong!

I don't understand why everyone is being so negative about this article. It was lighthearted, yes, but it did not once make any derogitory remarks about men who like to wear women's clothing. That, in and of itself is a positive step in the media when dealing with this issue.

Vanya wanted to show us that subjects like this are beginning to be taken seriously enough by mainstream media that even a small town paper published a tasteful article. She did not present it to us to critique. It seemed like a reasonable request.
    Shannon

Action crossdresser Marlena Dahlstrom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon CD View Post
    I don't understand why everyone is being so negative about this article. It was lighthearted, yes, but it did not once make any derogitory remarks about men who like to wear women's clothing. That, in and of itself is a positive step in the media when dealing with this issue.
    Agreed. Chill out folks and re-read Angel's post.

Thanks for sharing Vanya!
    Lena

A dream? What is a dream, but a blueprint for courageous action.

http://www.adahlshouse.com

OK, here's the deal. Most of you seem to have completely missed the point of this article. This article has nothing to do with cross-dressing as we know it. This is a guy writing about women's clothes from the point of view of trying to understand why women wear the type of clothes that they choose to wear, when they could easily wear things less revealing and more comfortable, which implys men's type casual clothes. He's right on several important issues, such as self-conciousness, and his comment on too tight clothes was right on. Young women are way too self-concious these days, to the point of eating disorders. None of the things that he talked about are cross-dressing issues. He never questioned why men would want to wear the clothes he was talking about, or any other women's clothes for that matter, he simply questioned why women would want to wear those clothes.
    Amber

Being uncomfortable

Now that you've brought up that point Amber, I agree. I could never figure out why any woman would want to dress uncomfortably to fulfill some "image". Certainly, no one has a gun pointed at them saying they have to do it. As Ericka, I dress for comfort, not style. Still, I would like to re-state that I appreciate Vanya sharing that article. Not every columnist would do and write something like that and be willing to dress in women's clothes to get a point across, so I give him credit. Ericka/Rich

I agree with you on that, I think it was pretty well written from that prospective, and I'd also like to thank Vanya for sharing the article.

So There

Ok gurls, I read your replies and the articles linked by Vanya, and decided to take a positive step.

So I emailed Matt and told him a little about myself, my own gender issues, and thanked him for writing his column.

Now that's a positive thing to do.

For what it is (a variety piece), it's a good article. Crossdressing? I don't know about that. I don't think it's crossdressing any more than the average drunken frat boy in a dress.
    Hail Satin!