Thread: Asking about another's perfume/fragrance?

Asking about another's perfume/fragrance?

I was curious as to the best way, if at all, to ask a strange woman about the fragrance she is wearing. I occasionaly encounter a fragrance a woman is wearing that is worth remembering. It is frustrating going to the perfume counter and trying to decide on a good fragrance for yourself as the way of sampling is often overpowering after a couple sniffs.

I plan on trying to find a new fragrance for myself this holiday season as it is much easier to do so at this time of year. I do realize that perfumes smell differently on each individual, however if you have some previous direction it is very helpful.

I don't want to pester women, but I'm sure there are those of you out there who have been in the same situation where you just want to fill your lungs with some fragrances you encounter.

I was thinking something alond the way as ; "Pardon me, but that is a wonderful fragrance you have on, may I ask you what it is"?

Please GGs, SOs, and the other ladies give us your thoughts on this matter please.

I did ask about two years back ( in a shopping centre) It's perfect time of year to do so (Buying a gift for Christmas ;-) My approach was "a friend of my wife had the same perfume and I mentioned that I liked the smell and would like to buy something similar as a gift". The person replies "Poison by Channel" Of course little did I know that Poison comes in many fragrances and the original one isn't sold any more :-( All salespeople like to help the (in this case happless) client .I eventually chose Channel #5 which I like immensely !
    By knowing which "target ' perfume you are looking for helps in the overpowering sampling dep't
    Barb

As long as you are polite and explain you have the intention of buying it for someone else
    Most women will be pleased and only to happy to let you know the fragrance
    It boosts there ego to know they have made a good choice but does not get them scared at being approached by a stranger.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

You say at the beginning 'to ask a strange woman' I would ask any woman but a strange one, stay clear there hun.

But i know what you mean.

I've asked many times in the past what fragrance a woman is wearing.

Its the way you do it. I just go up all full of confidence without being overpowering and interrupt in a polite way. with a smile on your face so they know your possibly friendly and just, ' excuse me but we just passed each other there and i couldn't help noticeing what a lovely smell your perfume is'

We cant appear to know to much about the subject.

And carry on 'i'd like to get some of that for my wife/girlfriend' I mean if shes a human being it should be a compliment that has made her day and one that she'll think about throughout the day.

I wish i had the same amount of confidence to go out dressed en femme.

The other day in Target , I went up to a GG who caught my eye and complemented her on her look. And I also told her that I loved her fragrance and just had to ask her what it was. She was very receptive to me and very pleased to be complemented.
    If you can't wear heels, what's the sense of dressing?......

Gee, that's kinda like the other night in Macy's.
    I saw a sales girl walking towards me (I was drab) and she was wearing this adorable skirt. Without thinking I just said, "excuse me, that's a pretty skirt, did you buy that here?".
    She stopped and said thank you, yes, in the Misses dept. and walked away with a smile on her face (so did I as I headed to the Misses dept)

A compliment goes a long way....

Well, if someone has on a fragrance you like,just ask. Just say, excuse me, I like the fragrance you have on, what is it and where did you get it. I'm sure my wife would love it too. That's how I found out about Dior's Addict and Lancome Hypnose. Both ladies were flattered that someone stopped them to ask about their purfume. As a matter of fact, one of the ladies, actually walked me to the counter to show me the package. So don't be afraid to ask, as long as you are polite....BJ

I thought I repli3ed to this but maybe not?

Anyway I have no issues asking a woman what perfume she wears, make it as a compliment and you are good to go.

I too have comp;limented many strangers, especially women with short hair - that takes a lot of guts I think for women to cut their hair but I see a woman with sh ort hair and I'm prone to say "I really like your haircut".

Never had a bad reaction - always been a very nice "Thank you".

I think anything you do to pay a compliment will go a long way, and you never know just how bad a day that woman may be having and you may be the sunshine in her bad day!!!
    Scottie
    You must dare to disassociate yourself from those who would delay your journey... Leave, depart, if not physically, then mentally.
    Go your own way, quietly, undramatically, and venture toward trueness at last.

-- Vernon Howard

I have asked several times. I usually don't have to ask the brand. They usually volunteer the info after I have complimented them on it.

Silver Member
    As all have said already, this is a no-brainer. "My, what a lovely perfume, what is it?" is all you have to say.

Lovies,
    Stephenie

I've asked several women about their perfume and none acted scared or offended. Maybe it's because they spot my wedding ring.
    It's usually safest to say "I'd love to get that for my wife/girlfriend."

However saying "That perfume would be perfect for my mother" would not be a good idea.