Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transgendered vs. Transvestite

Does it realy matter if it's tv cd ts or what ever as long as one is content with yourself in what you wear? Happyness with yourself is what counts dosn't it?

I'm not CDer, I dress as a girl 24/7 & have been now for years , whatever you want to call it, for me its a choos'in life style , not a hobby .
    " too young to fall in love " schoolgirl "

Banned Read only
    Most people think crossdressers are gay and dress for sexual satisfaction.

Most crossdressers are heterosexual about 98%. The reasons are many but just a sex turn on is not a high percentage, that is considered a fetish.

The term transvestite was used first and for men only. Then it was redefined as a sexual fetish and Crossdresser was created as a person that wears the clothes of the opposite sex. A transvestite is a crossdresser just a class of crossdressers.

Most crossdressers do it because of the internal need to express the feminine or masculine side. Not much FTM because women cross dress all the time with no problem.

TG,TS, transvestite are all crossdresser.

There have been many threads on TG, TS, crossdressing etc.

Here is a reprint of my contribution to this thread, with additions.

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...t=transvestite

For us it is just a label that the society needs

You can look these up in the Web and find different definitions of all. Transvestite, Cross-dresser, Transsexual, Transgendered, Gender Disphoria, gender confusion and Gender identity disorder. Now is that confusing?

If you find so called "medical" definition they differ as well.

Crossdresser is a person that wears the clothes of the opposite sex. No mention of reasons.

Transsexualism is a condition in which a transsexual person self-identifies as a member of the gender opposite to the one assigned to them at birth.

Transgender is the state of one's "gender identity" (self-identification as male, female, both or neither) not matching one's "assigned gender" (identification by others as male or female based on physical/genetic sex).
    (Love the word assigned must have been on the work order!)

They seem to be the same, do they not?

Transvestite is another term that none of us like. It was originally for men who dress in woman’s clothes. It has changed to men who dress in woman’s clothes for a sexual fetish. Cross-dresser was added to replace it in the 70’s because of sexual fetish part. Also cross-dresser covers both genders, transvestite is just for men.

So a transvestite is a cross-dresser but not the other way around!

Gender dystopia and gender confusion are another couple of terms that leave much to be desired. Both gender confusion and gender dysphoria are being forwarded to the definition of Gender Identity Disorder in the Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    They seem to be in the process of being replaced by Gender Identity Disorder.

Gender identity disorder, as identified by psychologists and medical doctors, is a condition in which a person has been assigned one gender (usually at birth on the basis of their sex, but compare intersexuality), but identifies as belonging to another gender, or does not conform with the gender role their respective society prescribes to them.

Confusion: A lack of clarity or order, jumbled. Or the state of being confused; not understanding.

Dysphoria: is the opposite of euphoria. It is generally characterized as a feeling of emotional and/or mental discomfort, restlessness, malaise, and depression. A person suffering from dysphoria will feel that "Things aren't the way they are supposed to be."

Neither confusion or disphoria seem to do it do they? But people with Gender Identity Disorder one can be confused and do not know what to do. So I would see confusion and dysphoria a symptom of Gender Identity Disorder in some cases.

What about those of us in the wrong body but cannot do anything about it?
    Are we transgendered? See why they call it gender confusion.

And none of these definitions even mention sexual orientation. That is a different problem not related to these or so they seem to be suggesting.

So what does this all mean: Well, who cares what the medical and general public defines these terms they are just labels and really do not mean anything.

In the end it is not really important. Only how you feel about yourself.
    Last edited by janedoe311; 12-13-2006 at 06:16 PM.

Unhappy Dazed and confused.

T- girl ,TG,TS,they all fit me better than CD.Frankly I prefer girl or woman. Angela.

Banned Read only

Good point

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Evon View Post
    I'm not CDer, I dress as a girl 24/7 & have been now for years , whatever you want to call it, for me its a choos'in life style , not a hobby .

Kind of kills their definitions. When is a CDer no longer a CDer. When they are not Crossdressing ie living as their new gender even before SRS.

And that is not considered by the so called professionals and their definitions!
    Last edited by janedoe311; 12-13-2006 at 06:26 PM.

Professionals

BS, MS,Phd, You know what they really stand for , right?A piece of paper doesn't make anyone an"expert", real hard work does. I love to debunk these theories and classifications. This is what tends to put everyone into a "box". Each case and each person should be considered for who they are individually.Sure it's "easier" to group people but that's what "bean counters" are for. No one seems to want to put forth any effort really getting to know people for who they are. These titles and classifications are only as good as the paper they are written on. One of these days society is going to finally "get it."Until then, we have each other. Let's make the best of it, Okay? Ericka Kay

Banned Read only

Yes, But THEY need them

Quote Originally Posted by Ericka/Rich View Post
    BS, MS,Phd, You know what they really stand for , right?A piece of paper doesn't make anyone an"expert", real hard work does. I love to debunk these theories and classifications. This is what tends to put everyone into a "box". Each case and each person should be considered for who they are individually.Sure it's "easier" to group people but that's what "bean counters" are for. No one seems to want to put forth any effort really getting to know people for who they are. These titles and classifications are only as good as the paper they are written on. One of these days society is going to finally "get it."Until then, we have each other. Let's make the best of it, Okay? Ericka Kay
    But we do not.

Oh by the way, AS is All shi#, BS you know and MS is more of the same and PHD is Piled higher and deeper of the same!

Virtually everyone I know with letters after their name have little common sense or practical skills. I can do just about anything and have about 300 Jr College Units but no degree, (certificate in Electronics is all).

It is sad that schools just teach facts not make people intelligent and wise.

I LOOK like a guy... Casey Morgan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by janedoe311 View Post
    Transsexualism is a condition in which a transsexual person self-identifies as a member of the gender opposite to the one assigned to them at birth.

Transgender is the state of one's "gender identity" (self-identification as male, female, both or neither) not matching one's "assigned gender" (identification by others as male or female based on physical/genetic sex).
    (Love the word assigned must have been on the work order!)

They seem to be the same, do they not?
    No, they don't. Transgender says that your gender doesn't match your sex. Transsexual says that your gender is the opposite of your sex. They are only the same if you believe that everyone's gender is either male or female, which is not the case. Using those definitions all transsexuals are transgendered but not all transgendered people are transsexuals.
    Androgynes: the quantum bits of the gender binary.

really confused now!?

I have too many letters after my name to comment on anything! The more you know, the more you realize that you know nothing! But I know that I am a crossdresser....I think!

Quote Originally Posted by carla smith View Post
    I have too many letters after my name to comment on anything! The more you know, the more you realize that you know nothing! But I know that I am a crossdresser....I think!
    Crossdressing is a skill in itself Carla regardless of all the theories. I have nothing but respect for folks who have gone the distance in their education and have worked hard to achieve their goals. The ones I do have a problem with are those who think they know everything because they have credentials but in all reality, know nothing about a subject or condition and won't admit it. I can work with those humble enough to admit that fact. EKR

Banned Read only
    Those "boxes" are just terms, words if you will. And what is the other option? Might we play charades here and just act out what we want to say. These terms are created to help define and refine. They allow us to communicate with each other - of course, that only works when people have the capacity to listen. They give us the ability to describe. Not a minor deal. After all, the great power god gave Adam was to name all the animals.

You do not have to look very far to find out that there are a lot of people here who have similar things going on in their lives, but far different outcomes in mind. Those labels are more about the outcome than the behavior at hand, without them the difference between someone undergoing SRS and those who just wear panties are nonexistent, and we know that is just silly.

As for the comments about higher education, spoken like a high school dropout. Only those who do not have any education would undervalue it. I know a guy with a PhD in chemistry, he has 43 patents, including two for medicines that people depend on every day to simply stay alive. (I would hope that if and when you need such drugs, you would have the courage of your convictions and shun the PhD stuff and go without that nonsense.) It was a bunch of PhDs, who once dedicated to war figured out how to kill 70K people in 1/10 of a second - and won the war with two bombs. No small feat. For myself, I am a journeyman in a craft union with certs in electrical work (for electrical power that could power a small city), in rigging for tons of weight that hang directly over people's heads, and for sound design that had to be turned down because people five miles away thought it was too loud. I also work as a safety officer for pyrotechnics in sold-out indoor venues. I take that stuff very seriously - and I get the call because they know I take it seriously and because I can fully and completely understand the ramifications of what we are doing. Lives are at stake. Not a minor point.

Matter of fact, most of the technologies you are using to make that computer in front of you work, were in fact, PhD projects. That 'point and click' deal that Windows uses, the mouse deal you relied upon to make your computer work? Well, it was developed by a PhD so that people with mental developmental disabilities could use a computer. Lucky for you eh? Because, well, how's 'yer DOS commands these days?
    Last edited by tekla west; 12-13-2006 at 08:41 PM.

What do i call myself?

this whole debate will go on until kingdom come, but we as PEOPLE will continue to do as we do and others will put labels on our activities, but it we that decide who and what we are. within this whole Transgendered/ Transvestite/transexual comunity why cant we just firstly see the person and get to know them as friends and respect them as human beings, after all if you cut me do i not bleed red blood ,the same as if you were bleeding yourself. Lets just make this world a safer and simpler place and see people as we would see ourselves, life is too short to be tied up trying to put labels on what we do. well thats my worth

Banned Read only
    Labels are words - and like all words, they are defined. If you know of a better way to communicate on a written forum we are all ears (or eyes). If not, your just being silly.

I'm just a sweet Transvestite, from Transexual...Transylvania ah ah.
    [SIZE=3]She Came From Plant Claire...

Dee
    [/SIZE][SIZE=3]xxx[/SIZE]

Banned Read only

Just got them from the web

Quote Originally Posted by Shari_Ann View Post
    No, they don't. Transgender says that your gender doesn't match your sex. Transsexual says that your gender is the opposite of your sex. They are only the same if you believe that everyone's gender is either male or female, which is not the case. Using those definitions all transsexuals are transgendered but not all transgendered people are transsexuals.

And I mentioned you will find different definitions all over the place.

Talk to 1000 people and get 1000 definitions.

But in the end it does not matter except to the so called "medical professionals".

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by tekla west View Post
    Lucky for you eh? Because, well, how's 'yer DOS commands these days?
    I was an expert at DOS and Unix, Windows and a freelance programmer.

I finished High School. I need one or two English classes to get two AS degrees, in Electronics and another in Business programming. If I took two more geology class, two more computer science programming classes, two more math classes and two more physic classes and two more art classes, I could get AS’s in those as well. I needed about 15 to 20 units to transfer to SF State as a JR in Electronic Engineering.

I simply said all the people I know with letters behind their names have no common sense or practical stills, just what they learn in the books. I did not say I believe everyone with PHD’s has no common sense or practical stills.

I am ADHD with learning disabilities so I have done Ok considering.
    I did not ask to be born with learning disabilities and my brother and sister are worse off then me I am the oldest.

Do not assume anything about anyone.

Short Skirts & Long Legs

Interesting, but way off base !!!

Thanks TamaraGG, nothing else need be said...

All the names and labels are pointless, because to the outside world, we're all the same. We're all just Transgendered. All the sub-dividing is done in vain.
    Hail Satin!

Banned Read only

Just noticed that Kathrynn

Never said a word since starting the thread.

Banned Read only
    Words, these label things, are about being able to describe. Description is a good thing, as Martha might say. Focused as they are on outcome, they have more to do with where you are going, then where you are. Again, that's not bad. For the other people in our lives, I think its nice to be able to put to rest some of their fears, and let them know you are not on the road to HRT, FFS, and SRS. That there are differences. That we are not all of one cloth.

It ain't Alice in Wonderland, words have very exact meanings and just because you do not like them, does not mean you can just change them.

Quote Originally Posted by tekla west View Post

As for the comments about higher education, spoken like a high school dropout. Only those who do not have any education would undervalue it.
    Thunderbolt, there. It's churlish to belittle specialized skill, especially science. And: anti-intellectualism is almost always the shield protecting those holding all the cards.

That said, the TG community has been at the mercy of 'licensed professionals' with little understanding of the TG and extreme skepticism is understandable.