Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Discrimination

Let it go! We all make choices. Her's was apparantly to dress full time and that certainly will foster discrimination. If your's is to keep your job, let it go.

Penny
    "Lady Fingers"

Is it just me or......... Carroll's Avatar
    looks like a Kobayashi Maru
    Drumming, My other hobby

Whether she's had her SRS or still transforming, it's still discrimination!

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by megan81 View Post
    Ok so something has been driving me crazy. A crossdresser came in for an interview the other day at my work. Everyone around the office thought that she would be a good fit well qualified and everything. Well today one of the hiring managers comes in and I hear him wisper to another supervisor "we can't hire this person" when my boss asks why he says they aren't the kind of person we want working here. I really want to say something because this situation really disgusts me but I really need this job what do you all think?
    your profile didn't say which state you are in---many states have laws which outlaw discrimination not only based on sexual orientation but also discrimination based on gender expression(Maine has such a statute)---if you do get up the courage to confront your boss about this you might want to remind him or her that there may be such a statute where you live.
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

Go to your HR rep at work. You don't have to disclose yourself merely state that you overheard discriminatory comments coming from a particular individual and don't think it is right. It could have been anyone, not just a crossdresser they were talking about. So this is a broader scope issue that could potentially get your company in trouble. You're just looking out for the company....yadda yadda yadda.....

Peggy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Peggy

California has such a law..........

Quote Originally Posted by MsJanessa View Post
    your profile didn't say which state you are in---many states have laws which outlaw discrimination not only based on sexual orientation but also discrimination based on gender expression(Maine has such a statute)---if you do get up the courage to confront your boss about this you might want to remind him or her that there may be such a statute where you live.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Peggy

Quote Originally Posted by sterling12 View Post
    If we don't start to be pro-active and trying to effect some of our outcomes, then maybe The CD Community will get exactly what it has earned with non-involvement, which is a whole lot of nothin' and the back of somebody's hand!
    Dig it, bigtime!

Think about it, people. We meet here on this forum because we crave community which validates our existence.

From there, we advocate throwing our own to the lions?

Expressing indifference in public just don't make sense.

If she was a CD, then maybe not a good idea to dress for an interview. However if she is transitioning then she HAS to live as a female!
    Is there any way you could try and educate those responsible without jeapordizing your own situation? IE. My brother in law / cousin / friend is a crossdresser or transsexual and try to explain what the reality of it is? Maybe send them a link to a website.
    http://www.geocities.com/senorita_cd/menu.htm
    This one has alot of great info on it. I totally understand that you can't put yourself in a situation where you could lose you ability to provide for your family, but if you're able to educate just one person about what CDing really is, whether or not she gets the job, you'll feel better about it!

Quote Originally Posted by Carroll View Post
    looks like a Kobayashi Maru

Sounds like someones a Strar Trek fan, alternatively you could cheat and use the grapevine and casually ask what happened to the other canidates.

Above girl was right. Get a note to him. Tell him/her to see a lawyer. Also to write to the state attorney general. And call state equal employment agency. Get the Attorney General to phone the company president. And...take a careful look through your employee handbook. Does it cover this situation? Is he gay? There are more laws that protect gays than CD or TS. There are plenty of good gay lawyers. But it would be better if action were taken before someone else were hired.

Erica--local lawyer--what do you think--any free advice or referrals?

Kat, Ya lost me on this one!

the company has a legal responsibility to promote the fiduciary growth of the fiscal entity."

"Fiduciary growth" Don't know what state that is from...maybe former USSR.

"What happens if we loose money in the forth quarter".....ok who is going to jail for this one"!....not! Companies go broke by the hundreds, but rarely do the CEO's go to jail unless the stockholders can prove fraud!

Discrimination, of all types, is a problem that is common in corporate and government offices. (Hope everyone can believe that)

I did not look the other way, and I ended up settling out of court, because the expense was going to cost me everything I had....and the opposition knew it! Even though I had a paper trail, and could prove what they did. I could not afford to get it into court; the cost would have been in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. That is the reality of our legal system. (Hope you can believe that, too)

That was not fun!

Now, I am a crossdresser having fun out there!

Sounds like the hiring proceedures I've seen many times. The best qualified do not nessesarily fit HR's and Managements idea of what type of person they see in the job. Remember, they don't have give a reason why they didn't hire that person, as they are from outside of the company.

Banned Read only
    In plain english, which the law never is - it means that a company has a legal obligation to make money for its stockholders, period - no more, no less. Hardly a USSR deal, that is pure greed at the point where the rubber hits the road.

Hence, doing anything that would place the company in a posistion to make less money, or to lose money, is actionable in a court. Which is why shareholders sue boards of directors and the like so often.

Aspiring Member Christina Nicole's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by carla smith View Post
    "With limited exceptions, the following actions constitute a violation the Human Rights Act:"

"In Employment...
    ...when, because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, status with regard to public assistance, disability or age:"

Good law! The problem is getting it litigated....
    That was never passed into law and it is very that it will ever be passed in the form it was last presented. Therefore since it is not law, one cannot litigate on the basis of said law.

Let the issue go. It will do you no good to argue this issue. Your first responsibility is to your family, not to a stranger or some group affiliation. You also have a responsibility to your employer. If you know that they are doing something illegal, then it is proper to inform someone in management that they may have some legal exposure on this issue, but if you do that, you must first know the details and be able to recite them and the relevant law chapter and verse. Sounds like a losing proposition to you, in my opinion, unless you have a legal or human resources background.

The person in question probably was not serious about the job. No one who wants a job enough interviews in jeans and a top. Even if the person is a transitioning TS, she should have known enough to wear a presentable suit. Every advice guide always lists appearance, dress, and presentation as some of their top recommendations.

Warm regards,
    Christina Nicole

Unless you know all the facts about the person: are they transitioning, what are their qualifications, what their background is, etc, mind you business. If the person is not in an actual transition, a man dressed as a woman can be considered inappropriate, just as if he wore a dirty t shirt and ripped jeans to an interview. Or perhaps he expressed some sort of political or social view that is objectionable to the company, or just plain had the wrong attitude.
    "My Mother wanted me to find a nice girl..so I became one."

Quote Originally Posted by carla smith View Post
    "With limited exceptions, the following actions constitute a violation the Human Rights Act:"

"In Employment...
    ...when, because of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, status with regard to public assistance, disability or age:"

Good law! The problem is getting it litigated....
    This person is reported to have signs of gender variations due to their manor of dress. Do we know this person was gay ? If no then where does the discrimination come it ? I can tell you there is no law covering cross gender in Ohio as of 2004. And the federal government does not either as of 2004. The thing about discrimination laws are that they only cover certain types of discrimination. And being cross gendered is not one of them. On the other hand what Felicity said about the bottom line. A business employs people as long as it's profitable. How would you feel as a business owner if you lost business because an employee didn't take baths ? Maybe that person making the comment was saying, even if this person was the best at what they were hiring for. How could they take the chance that customers would do business with them employing that cross gendered person. And would that person be a distraction in the work place ? I'm all for hiring the best what ever for the job. But then we all don't think alike do we ? So you can tell your lawyer to pick up his briefs and chase an ambulance.

Depends on the State

Most states have human rights laws...such as the one I quoted.

You should be aware of the laws in your jurisdiction.

Here is some info from the great state of Washington

Governor Chris Gregoire signed ESHB 2661 into law after the 2006 Legislative session making nondiscrimination on the basis of sexual orientation, including gender identity, the law in Washington State. The new law became effective as of June 7, 2006. The Washington State Human Rights Commission (WSHRC) views this new jurisdiction as a natural extension of civil rights.

Here you will find some of the guidelines that are recommended to managers

http://www.hum.wa.gov/generalInfo/links.htm
    click on sexual orientation on the left side of the screen

scroll down to Transgender Issues in the Work Place (.pdf)
    Last edited by carla smith; 12-14-2006 at 09:02 PM. Reason: added

A great thread!

Gosh i love you girls. You stay on a subject until it is fully detailed!

My 2 cents:

Cent 1) unless you know your state law on hiring TG persons, you have no evidence of a civil law violation. And with civil law violations it is up to the victim to cure the transgression by bringing a lawsuit; and,

Cent 2) there are a lot of assumptions about this applicant being a victim. Showing up in womens clothes may be the applicants way of testing her prospective employer. I seriously doubt she is any less savy a CD than the girls on this board - and maybe she really wants to work where she'll be accepted - and what better way to find out than to show up as who you are. She might turn this job down even if the employer was compelled to offer it to her.

OK, I promised I'd stop at two cents . . .

You need to put YOUR priorities in place first. If they can be met while challenging the status quo then fine. (ie. you can afford to lose your job.)

After that all you can do is ask a few questions that will cause a few brain cells to cluster and hope for the best.

It isnt fair, I agree but the fight for the job is hers, not yours. I know it sounds cruel but it is also life. Ideally she should have applied enhomme then after she was WELL established perhaps made the motions to coming out if the work conditions were accepting.

Kimberley
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

www.transgenderlondon.com

Venus and Mars are not aligned; Good thing.
    Where are all the rumballs?
    I may not soar with eagles, but then weasels dont get sucked into jet engines...

you have to stand for something, or you will fall for anything. it is not fair this person needs a job why not give her a try...
    in the new year i am looking for a new job as marissa. i am not looking forward to it. i would rather go through a sex change without the anesthetic.. then deal with employers who just don't understand
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Best wishes in the New Year MJ

MJ, Seriously, we all know what you'll be up against. There are some good folks out there - you will find a place. You'll no doubt have some interesting insights to share, so check back and let the boards know how it goes.

Banned Read only
    If not us, then who? If not now, then when? Dr. King would remind us that "wait means never."

8 states (California, Rhode Island, Washington state. Minn. Ill. Maine, New Mexico and Hawaii) and 84 cities and counties have laws on the books prohibiting discrimination on the basis of gender identity or expression. These laws cover about 1/3 of the population of the USA. All those laws were brought into being by people like us, for people like us. Oh yeah, sure a lot of them are in progressive areas filled with liberals like San Francisco, or Ann Arbor, but hey, Dallas, Texas, Toledo, Ohio and De Kalb, Ill have them too.

Miss Felicitiy's own Moscow on the Willamette (Portland, OR)
    has a very stong one.

Go to the site for THE TRANSGENDER LAW AND POLICY INSTITUTE "a non-profit organization dedicated to engaging in effective advocacy for transgender people in our society. The TLPI brings experts and advocates together to work on law and policy initiatives designed to advance transgender equality." They have complete lists of where, and a listing of what they protect and a lot of other helpful information.
    Last edited by tekla west; 12-15-2006 at 05:16 PM.

The sad, simple truth of the matter is as longs as most CDs remain in the closet, CDs are not gonna get it together for these important battles.

But, oh, sure, after the fight and the dust settles, they'll all wanna party.

Banned Read only
    Well DT, everyone wants to eat the cake, they just don't feel like baking it.

Best thing I've ever done as a TG person was get involved in the Human Rights Comission working on these issues. I met so many girls, in so many situtions, it changed my life in nothing but good ways.