Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Discrimination

Aspiring Member
    She probably got pregnant on purpose. She knew that this would negatively impact her ability to do her job.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferMint View Post
    She probably got pregnant on purpose. She knew that this would negatively impact her ability to do her job.
    Damn, Jennifer, you sound like Rush Limbaugh - don't you have some happy pills or something?

My wife has informed me that they have one of our sisters working in her office. We went to the company party on Friday and she showed up with a couple of her friends. I was hoping to speak with her but she left before the opportunity presented itself. Even though she works on a phone bank and clients don't meet her in person, I applaud them for giving her a chance to prove that lipstick and high heels don't make a sale, it's the person.
    As far as your company, as long as narrow minded knuckle-dragging mentally challenged bigots are running the show, we will still have to hide our personal tastes and desires from the pursute of the almighty dollar.
    If the clothes make the man then the makeup makes the woman.

Before my early retirement as President of a health care company in 2003, I discovered that among my staff were two crossdressers who had been hired to process medical claims. Both did their jobs as expected and dressed like the other women. The chairman of the company found out about these two individuals and advised me to find some reason to fire them. I told him that they do their jobs as expected, are accepted by the other staff in their work area and the board would have to fire me first. The matter was dropped. The chairman later told me that he was impresssed by their work and supported the promotion of one of the CD's to a supervisor's position. Nothing happens unless you are willing to stand up for the rights of everyone and put your neck on the line!

Happy Holidays!

Melanie
    I love being "gender gifted"! www.pmpub.com

Banned Read only
    "She probably got pregnant on purpose"

All by herself too.

I know this is an old thread but I thought this would be a good time for update. The girl that I thought would be hired after major protest was shut down by the president of the company. I went straight to my boss and said I didnt think that so and so was really that disriminative. His response was that the president was not discriminating so much as looking out for the best interests of the company. This comment was followed by asking me how he should go about turning this person down for the job. All that I could say was "Very carefully" I feel bad that I could not do more for her but honestly giving up my job would not have changed anything except I would not have a job. Those of you that think I am a coward are probably right... I am just not in a position to make a stand for our rights in that way. If you happen to be reading this I am sorry that I could not do more.
    Love like you've never been hurt,
    work like you don't need the money,
    and dance as if no one is watching.
    Delila

It happens!

Once in 1992, I was working for a firm in Louisville KY (As a consulting engineer, not in personnel). A CD came into the office, dressed in stirrup pants, pumps, sheer top,etc. Day's growth of beard, and talking with a deep husky voice. My supervisor refused to interview the person. I volunteered, so I spoke in private with the interviewee. The person appeared qualified for the position. After the meeting, I told my supervisor, we might be smart to hire this guy, because it is a sales position, and he can sell to a rather unique group of prospects. My supervisor refused.

He then took the applicant's resume, and tore it into pieces, and said "I need to get my office disinfected".

Incidents like these, should warn us all to keep our private lives out of the office.
    Cheryl
    Northern VA
    "We live in a world in which the only constant is Change" Heraclitus- 400BC

Quote Originally Posted by megan81 View Post
    I know this is an old thread but I thought this would be a good time for update. The girl that I thought would be hired after major protest was shut down by the president of the company.

If you happen to be reading this I am sorry that I could not do more.
    Megan, you weren't totally silent, and to be realistic, you did what you could. Don't feel too bad about it.

Robin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

Dang. I hate it when there's not a happy ending. Now I'm stuck "hoping" it all works out for the better and there is some form of Karmaic justice waiting ahead in time . . .

Sniffles,
    'lissa