Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My 17 year old son figured it out . . .

My 17 year old son figured it out . . .

. . . and all is well.
    My son is addicted to the PC and I told him I needed it for a minute because I wanted to check my e-mail. Well, he hovered around me and the PC (his usual tactic when he wants to annoy me in to getting off the PC) until I finally told him I wasn't going to use it until he backed off and gave me some privacy. That's when he informed me that I didn't "need to hide it, I know all about it". Well, I may have been born at night, but it weren't LAST night, so I asked him to elaborate - "What do you know all about"?
    Gotta give the boy credit, he didn't want to out me in front of his mother so I had to insist that I hide nothing from my wife, and "please go on and tell us what you think is going on".
    Turns out he was typing a web address into the browser that started with "C" and guess what MSIE so helpfully did for him? It looked for recently visited web sites starting with "C" and brought them up for him. In case you haven't figured it out yet, THIS web page starts with "C":
    "http://www.crossdressers.com".
    I wanted to talk but he had little interest. He is 100% Unimpressed and Unconcerned - he literally does not appear to care. Even though he didn't appear to have any burning questions, I had things I needed him to know.
    I explained a number of things, including the fact that (other then possibly the CDing in the first place) I have NEVER done anything (related to CDing :-)that he wouldn't approve of or consider the act of a decent person.
    Shocked me pretty bad, but as far as he is concerned, it's a great big NON-event. In my opinion, just about the best possible outcome. Wow - and to think I've been terrified of this for 17 years!
    So the good news - my son appears to be a decent person that can see beneath the skin (and clothes). All is well, feel like I ducked a bullet and think its time for a cocktail!
    Kim (AKA Dad)

good for you. i am happy it worked out for you my 17 year old son also know and is somewhat ok he call's me daddy mom, but the next step is to get him to see me en femme. i wish he would
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Secretary Wannabe
    I am glad everything worked out for you. If you want to know how to turn the recent history off, so that when he types "C," www.crossdressers.com won't come up, do this:

Go to Tools (on your browser),
    Then click the "Content" tab,
    Then click the "AutoComplete..." button,
    Then uncheck the box where it says "Use AutoComplete for Web Addresses"

girl next door
    Well how cool is that!! I bet it's a bit of a relief not having to be too concerned about the privacy thingy around the house! It's really not that surprising to me though, kids coming up nowadays seem to be a) more open minded, and b)not so easily impressed. Cool news!
    [SIZE="3"]
    my wish for you is peace
    [/SIZE]

lo·gom·a·chy /loʊˈgɒməki/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[loh-gom-uh-kee] –noun, plural -chies.
    1. a dispute about or concerning words.
    2. an argument or debate marked by the reckless or incorrect use of words; meaningless battle of words

Kim, that's just the BEST news. Our kids do amaze us, don't they?
    Fulltime girl on the inside.
    Lipstick=confidence

[SIZE=4]Holly[/SIZE]

Kim, I'm glad you feel good about it, and that it all worked out ok for you. I am not really suprised though, kids have their own identities, and are not easily phased by things like this, I would imagine that it was a big non-event for him as well. Good luck, I hope you find whatever you want in life, your family will always be there for you, that is why they are precious!

Ouch! I'm glad it turned out to be okay for you and your son. This is one thing that Windows XP or Linux can help prevent, if you use it correctly, or the Firefox browser. If you have Windows 98 or Windows ME, that's another story.

Windows XP and Linux both allow you to give each person who uses the computer his own account and private workspace. If you're using this web site and live with others who might be discomfited by your "hobby", then everyone in the house should have his/her own account and password. This is a good idea anyway -- you don't want your kids getting into your Quicken account or certain other things on your computer.

Firefox has a useful feature called "clear private data" that allows you to quickly kill the browsing history (the feature that your son bumped into), cache, cookies, and just about anything else that could send people here. Just be sure to go to another web site (like CNN, MSNBC, whatever floats your boat) before you do it. I think Internet Explorer has a feature like that, too, but I don't use it, so I don't know.

As has been said before, never, ever visit sites like this on your work computer or in public spaces like a library. It's possible for employers to track every web site you visit, and to link it to you, and clearing the cache, cookies, and browsing history are no defense against hidden monitoring programs and forensic software. Conversely, the cable company at home isn't going to care what web sites you visit, so long as it's not something that could land them in legal hot water or result in them getting a subpoena.

Gee, I sound like a geek, but I hope it helps.

Nancy
    Nancy
    "If you are lucky enough to find a way of life that you love, you have to find the courage to live it." -- John Irving

Kim that's great glad he's OK with it. I know when we talked last a few weeks ago you didn't know how to tell him and how he would react. Looks like you have a happy family now.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

WOW! That's why he has his computers...and I have mine...and the daughter has hers and the wife doesn't use any of them at all.... lol

Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by TxKimberly View Post
    Turns out he was typing a web address into the browser that started with "C" and guess what MSIE so helpfully did for him? It looked for recently visited web sites starting with "C" and brought them up for him.
    That is why I always delete all temporary folders, history, and temporary files after using a computer. (No matter whose computer it is.)

Banned Read only
    If I had kids it would be hard to hide my habit... I guess they would know but it'd tell them it's something you shouldn't do. Though I do it...

A California Girl Rachel Morley's Avatar
    Wow, that's great news. We have a 16 year old boy in our house who doesn't know (at least I don't think he does, but I do dress in some fairly girly clothes in boy mode) anyway, my wife and I have been wondering if we should tell him or not. Maybe he'll be just like your son......but then again, I am the evil step Dad
    The River City Gems - Northern California's largest and most active crossdressing & transgender support group!

Hi there Kimberly,I'm really glad for you that your son is cool with your dressing!I'm in a postition where the same thing could potentially happen to me.I never married but I have a nephew that I'm super close to.there have even been a couple of long stretches of time that we lived in the same house together along with my Mom and Sister.I have a pc and I had a webtv for a long time and they both would come around and use it when their computer was down.Fortunately they didn't do anything that would electronically trigger off any signs of the transgender stuff that's often on there.Or,of course.http://www.crossdr..I think that if they did find out there's a 2/3 to 3/4 chance that they'd be okay with it.My nephew and sister are very liberal.But still,it's all very daunting.Mom would forgive it but grudgingly.Now my sister has suggested moving again in a year or 2 and I just dread the prospects of "sharing" a computer if she gets wild ideas about economy measures and doesn't want 2,3 or more separate computer lines in one house.Oh well,I guess that the worst case scenario is 10-15 minutes of shouting.Anyway,Kim,that's a cool story about you and your son.Samantha

Quote Originally Posted by Samantha B L View Post
    Now my sister has suggested moving again in a year or 2 and I just dread the prospects of "sharing" a computer if she gets wild ideas about economy measures and doesn't want 2,3 or more separate computer lines in one house.Oh well,I guess that the worst case scenario is 10-15 minutes of shouting.Anyway,Kim,that's a cool story about you and your son.Samantha
    I do my best to 'erase my tracks' also, but there is always the possibility of missing something. As an extra safeguard I created logons for anyone in the family you might ever use the PC. Mine is the only one which requires a password and I make sure that I do a 'log out' when I leave the PC for ANY reason. Additionally, I've made any folders containing 'sensitive information' hidden.

Dixie -- http://www.geocities.com/senorita_cd

Silver Member
    Well, Ive said before that we often don't give our families enough credit for being accepting.

I have told the story here before of when our kids were young I had all my stuff locked up (safely, I thought) in a trunk in my bedroom. Years later I heard from my kids that they had been into that trunk and had been disapointed that they found only women's clothes.

Lovies,
    Stephenie
    Last edited by Stephenie S; 12-19-2006 at 01:45 AM.

Having an exciting few days lately, aren't we, dear?

3 cheers!

Great news all being ok I don't know if my son would be ok with it
    Angie

Hi Kim, I read and re-read your post and to be honest I'm just a little bit skeptical of the fact that your son is so willing to accept this. Please don't misunderstand me but most 17 yr olds have a "blackmail" streak in them. This is not to say that your son does but rather a fact of life. Please be careful in further interaction as this thing may come back to bite you. I truly wish you all the happiness in this world. May God grant you and your family love, acceptance and forgivness.

BonnieAnne
    "to thine own self be true"

All will be fine! He might wonder about it, but no biggie. Most kids are ok with learning new things. Even as far as a male in their life dressing as a female. After all its us as adults who mould them. And yes, I am speaking from experience.

Congrats to you! You AND your wife seem to have brought up a kid who isnt a bad one! Good luck!
    We have to weather the storm before we can enjoy the sunshine

Finding out

My two boys found my "stash" when they were 16 and 17 respectively one day while I was working(no explanation as to why they were rooting in the bottom of my wardrobe). My wife explained to them what it was. As you said, it was basically a non-event. They did kind of hover around me for a while after that. I think it was basically to ensure that I was still their Dad and to make sure I was okay. They seemed to take it in stride and life went on as usual even though it was never mentioned again. I guess they realized their Dad wasn't going anywhere despite his interesting "hobby". EKR

Quote Originally Posted by older not wiser View Post
    Hi Kim, I read and re-read your post and to be honest I'm just a little bit skeptical of the fact that your son is so willing to accept this. Please don't misunderstand me but most 17 yr olds have a "blackmail" streak in them. This is not to say that your son does but rather a fact of life. Please be careful in further interaction as this thing may come back to bite you. I truly wish you all the happiness in this world. May God grant you and your family love, acceptance and forgivness.

BonnieAnne
    Blackmail Streak is very correct - It happened to me!
    Laura

also skeptical, a talk would help for sure

As you said, it was basically a non-event. They did kind of hover around me for a while after that. I think it was basically to ensure that I was still their Dad and to make sure I was okay. They seemed to take it in stride and life went on as usual even though it was never mentioned again. I guess they realized their Dad wasn't going anywhere despite his interesting "hobby". EKR[/QUOTE]

but ericka's story will give you reassurance for an easy outcome !
    cancer man or cancer woman, with double cancer settings for me that is NOT the question!

Gold Member
    Kids are so exposed to things now a days that I think a lot of stuff don't shock them like us at that age, good for you, sounds like a kid you got there?

Kim your avatar is so pretty!
    Found it--thank you so much Avsblues! I did a small test in address line before blocking the feature--typed c--crossdressers, plus this entry with a long list of subfiles came up--clicked it and OMG-- up came my enfemme picture! Full screen size. I had recently used the file.
    In new IE autocomplete was under Tools, Internet options, Content Tab, Settings. I unchecked the Auto Complete box. FAST.
    On the other hand--my wife who strongly disapproves of my CD activities--now gets angry if I delete my browsing history. I think she checks it frequently. She does not say much--has not explored my addresses--as far as I know. Refuses to discuss CD.

Short Skirts & Long Legs

Knows Here Too...

My 18 y/o knows too, and he took it well, good for you...