Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tanning

Banned Read only
    i surf and have always used a wet suit so the sun ain't no thing on the water / but short shorts, tank tops, short skirts out in the warm calfornia sun, even in january / can't beat it / too much is no doubt bad, when is too much of anything good? / but no one looks good goth, not even peter murphy

Conservative Crossdresser Felicity's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadeauxmarie View Post
    Direct exposure to sunlight is direct exposure to gamma radiation. Think about it.
    We don't have direct exposure from the sun. Our atmosphere blocks most gamma radiation and all the UVC radiation. If you know anything about gamma radiation, then you know that even the house you live in doesn't protect you from it! It goes through almost everything with ease. Our charged atmosphere and magnetic field around the earth protects us from gamma radiation. Not our clothes, house, sunscreen, etc. It also takes a relatively large dose of gamma radiation to harm us since it usually passes though matter without colliding with any of the nuclei.

I am not saying an excess of sun isn't bad for you. Just that it isn't as bad as most people think! The commercial scare of the sun has sold how much sunscreen over the years? People get various types of cancer all the time, without knowing the cause. Skin cancer does not have to be the result of the sun. I would say that those overdoing it, and getting bad sunburns, can get cancer from the sun easily. Just don't overdo it.

I tan 2-3 times a week and love it. I use a good lotion with a low spf factor. I use the time on the tan bed to meditate.

Banned Read only
    "Direct exposure to sunlight is direct exposure to gamma radiation. Think about it."
    aside from Vlad the Impaler I'm pretty sure sunlight does not kill anyone / seem that some people are not getting enough of it / can you say 'seasonal affected disorder? / i thought you could

You are so wrong

Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Wow, so much distrust of the sun, real and artificial.

I tan regularly, and it becomes addictive. The heightened moods are great, and I feel recharged every time I tan.

There is a growing consensus that the sun does not cause skin cancer. I believe it is the chemicals we ingest daily from processed foods, and absorb in the skin from lotions. What happens, is the sun brings body toxins to the skin. This increases the likelihood of getting skin cancer. Therefore, I take salt baths. The salts help the toxins leave the body.

I tan on a regular basis. My favorite bed has 44 – 160 watt lamps. It also has four 500 watt facial lamps. I sometimes use the standup tanner instead, which has 46 or 48 of the 160 watt lamps. I actually have better skin than when I started tanning. I attribute that to taking a salt bath after tanning. At 46 years, I have better skin than most in their 30's.

At least some sun, more than most of us get with clothes on, is needed by the body! I consider tanning, especially from the high pressure beds, safer than sunlight. There is more UVA and less UVB as a percentage than in sunlight. The UVB is believed to cause the burning and cancer. High pressure tanning beds have 3% or less of their spectra as UVB radiation.

Anyway, I tan al least twice a week in these off months. I use natural sunlight in the summer.

Believe as you all must. I will never believe the sun causes cancer No from my God. I believe it is the trigger to make the chemicals we take in to do the damage. I believe the combined tanning and salt baths will keep me from getting cancer! Ever hear of an avid surfer getting skin cancer? Eat more natural. Buy less canned boxed and processed foods. Get vegetables and fruits from farmers markets. I really believe cancer is caused by the unnatural chemicals we are exposed to regularly, not from God's creations!

Those of you using artificial tanning creams.... I hope you know what you're doing.... I would suggest you have a greater chance of developing skin cancer than I do!
    I do not generally get too upset with posts anywhere however, my wife has been battling malignant melanoma for the last two years as a direct result of her ignorance of warnings against proper sun protection while "laying out" and using tanning beds. There is no "consensus" that "the sun does not cause skin cancer". Are you freakin' kidding me???? That's as stupid as saying that cigarettes do not cause cancer.

I suggest you keep up what you are doing, ignore warnings then talk to us all again after you have all of the lymph nodes removed in your legs and endure a year of Interferon treatments. I think you may find yourself in different state of mind.

The threat of sun exposure is real and is not more deadly than that of sunscreens and self-tanning creams.

Spend a few months at a cancer clinic with a loved one like I have done and you will realize that your understanding is shallow and potentially deadly.

Deedee_tv

Banned Read only

look at this

The truth behind the tan
    Tanned skin may look fabulous on the outside, but the inside is a different story. “Tanned skin is skin that has enough nuclear injury to stimulate release of melanin from melanocytes,” Plank says. “This brown pigment is deposited over the nuclei of the skin cells to protect them from further injury. Tanned skin is injured skin.”

From http://www.midlandpower.com/aspx/New...spx?NewsID=609

Some facts. Sun screen use went up and so did Skin cancer. Is the sun screen causing the cancer or is it because people feel "safe" and get too much sun.

Tanned skin is being damaged. Nothing good about that.

Happy in Satin Nighties Rachel Newark's Avatar

sun stuff

I think I've picked up the so called "Spanish" Gene from my father, show him a picture of the sun and he goes a shade darker. I tan easily and generally feel better for the Vitamin D it generates. I don't allow myself to burn. I've still got tan lines from wandering around in shorts this summer. And it does look good against pale undies ! However I used to have a GF who did the whole 'frying tonight' thing and her skin showed definite signs of damage, and some dodgy moles which her doctor chopped out.. not good.

Rachel Newark
    They're not womans clothes, they're mine. I have receipts !

I haven't enjoyed the tanning sensation yet, but I will. I have bought some swim suits and I can't wait for summer to get here so I can lay out in the sun, in my swim suit and get some sexy tan lines!

Quote Originally Posted by suzy View Post
    I haven't enjoyed the tanning sensation yet, but I will. I have bought some swim suits and I can't wait for summer to get here so I can lay out in the sun, in my swim suit and get some sexy tan lines!
    hehehe, GG fight to not get tan lines, but we sure would apresiatte them

My wife and I tanned last winter so we wouldn't burn when we went on vacation in early summer. The warm tanning bed feels great on a cold night. I loved tanning. It made me feel more like a girl. I opted to go for the no-line tan. I agree it does look good with anything.
    As for the skin damage... I grew up on a farm and was outside all day durring the summer and my skin is fine, and so are my parents. But, there is no history of skin cancer in our family. I just wanted to get a tan, not turn to leather.
    BTW, we did use sunscreen when we went to Six Flags for the day. Just a tip, Don't forget the thin spot on top of your head! It tends to hurt.

Later,
    Katrina.
    I'm back. And I brought a friend!

Not your typical girl Lissa Stevens's Avatar
    I used to worry about cancer and avoided tanning. The area I live in seems to have an abnormally large amount of every kind of cancer there is. This used to be a major industrial area and most of them dumped a lot of bad stuff before the EPA came along. I now have decided the heck with it and use a tanning bed starting in the spring thru Sept. I make sure and use a lot of moisturizer and don't tan long enough to burn. I also love the tanned look with my clothes. If I am playing russian roulette so be it. You can't live forever.
    [SIZE="2"]Melissa[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]I'm still standin'
    Better than I ever did
    Lookin' like a true survivor
    Feeling like a little kid
    [/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Deedee_tv View Post
    I do not generally get too upset with posts anywhere however, my wife has been battling malignant melanoma for the last two years as a direct result of her ignorance of warnings against proper sun protection while "laying out" and using tanning beds.
    I'm sorry about your wife, but notice I said I believe the sun is a trigger, not the cause. Medications can affect the tanning process. I don't know if it is required nationwide, but in my state, notices are posted by the tanning beds of chemicals and foods that cause sensitivity to the tanning process. One that I readily remember, is celery!
    There is no "consensus" that "the sun does not cause skin cancer". Are you freakin' kidding me???? That's as stupid as saying that cigarettes do not cause cancer.
    The growing consensus is real. I never said it was overwhelming or anything like that. I guess you are a know it all, and know the facts for certain?

Please note my words. I said it was my belief, not fact! You however, are implying fact when you cannot possible know!
    I suggest you keep up what you are doing, ignore warnings then talk to us all again after you have all of the lymph nodes removed in your legs and endure a year of Interferon treatments. I think you may find yourself in different state of mind.
    I ignore warnings regularly, especially those based on incomplete statistics. I will enjoy life rather than have every little threat deter me from living a happy life. I am one that believes these processed foods and medicines are the killer, not nature. I rarely ever take man made drugs. I cleanse my body of toxins, the salt baths help.

Think about this likelihood. We ingest unnatural products daily and breath polluted air. Our bodies no not filter all these poisons. It doesn't take much to trigger them sometimes to cause a cancer. The sun brings these toxins to the skin. To much accumulated in the body, and the sun will likely cause cancer!
    The threat of sun exposure is real and is not more deadly than that of sunscreens and self-tanning creams.
    I challenge you to look up all the chemicals in a sunscreen. Review the appropriate MSDS, and tell me they are all safe to use. The sun probably causes chemical reactions in the skin with these products, even if they are classified as safe!
    Spend a few months at a cancer clinic with a loved one like I have done and you will realize that your understanding is shallow and potentially deadly.
    I am just not convinced that natural things cause the cancer, except maybe in excess. The only correlation I know of in sun related cancer studies are those who have let themselves sunburn, have a greater risk of skin cancer. We do know much of the biochemistry the sun has on our bodies.

Fact: The sun converts the amino acid L-Thyrosine to melanin. This is the pigment we see as a tan. Melanin is also known to enhance ones mood.

Fact: low melanin levels in the body are being studied as possible precursors to Parkinson's Disease and Alzheimers.

Assumption: Tanning might prevent these?

Fact: The sun stimulates the liver to produce Vitamin D3. This happens after the UVB triggers a reaction with cholesterol in the blood.

Assumption: Tanning might naturally reduce cholesterol levels? Lack sufficient amounts of sunlight may contribute to cholesterol problems?

Fact: Proper tanning reduces the risk of sun related skin cancer as the darkening of the skin is a natural protection of the UV radiation.

Fact: Vitamin D malnutrition is linked to an increased susceptibility to several chronic diseases such as high blood pressure, tuberculosis, cancer, multiple sclerosis, chronic pain, depression, schizophrenia, seasonal affective disorder and several autoimmune diseases.

Fact: Research is concluding what I have mentioned as a "Growing Consensus". A few papers from one site:

The role of ultraviolet-B (UVB) radiation (290-315 nm) and vitamin D in reducing the risk of cancer*

Ultraviolet radiation and dietary links to melanoma; or why one should not be dissuaded from enjoying the Sun for optimal health

Ultraviolet B (UVB) radiation and vitamin D are important risk reduction factors for multiple sclerosis; viral infections are an important risk factor; dietary fat is a minor risk factor

Banned Read only

I do not tan

I burn. I have light skin and so do my kids. We purchased Australian UV swim suits for the whole family and use sun screen only on the exposed parts, feet, hands and face. I do not like sunscreens, I have sensitive skin and everything bothers it. I and my kids are allergic to Aloe Vera which is in nearly every skin product!

I have been a vegetarian and a "health Food" nut for 30 years so I eat health chemical free.

You religious are amazing. Ignoring the science that does not conform to the Bible and having the gall to quote minority science studies that you agree with.

Good luck, hope you are not one of those that is not prone to skin disease because hereditary is a proven factor in Skin Cancer.

PS, The sun screen industry has a lot going on people sun bathing. If everyone wore Australian UV swim suits then they would go out of business as would the Tanning booths and all the compaines that make Bikinis. They do not want people to think sunning is bad. This is way to much money in it!

Remember, even the tobacco companies got doctors and scientists to side with them. It is all about money.

PPS One other point, another not published finding. People in the tropics of South America are getting skin cancer at a very height rate. Why because right above them is the hole in the Ozone. Exposing them to a higher about of UV than normal. Oh yes it is from God so it can not hurt.
    Last edited by janedoe311; 01-05-2007 at 06:13 PM.

Guilty as charged. I do tan about 2 times a week.

Colleen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Feeling pretty on the inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Sedona View Post
    I go for the effect (sunless) for the cute bra/thong lines, and I'm glad the kind in a bottle fades quickly.
    That's SO interesting. I was really wanting to achieve a similar result. I mean what's more femme than seeing the outline of a bra when you remove your clothes? I just didn't want to risk it with a regular tan. Now you've given me a great idea.

When you say 'fades", how long does it last?

I'm another pale redhead of Irish descent, so I don't tan, I burn.

I do "Fake n' Bake" spray-on tan at the local tanning salon to get color during the summer, but I kind of look a little like George Hamilton...kind of an orangeish tint to the tan. I've been told it looks good with my (boy) hair color though.
    "There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. "

- Anais Nin

Banned Read only

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by LisaK View Post
    I'm another pale redhead of Irish descent, so I don't tan, I burn.

I do "Fake n' Bake" spray-on tan at the local tanning salon to get color during the summer, but I kind of look a little like George Hamilton...kind of an orangeish tint to the tan. I've been told it looks good with my (boy) hair color though.
    Have no need to be Brown I like the pale look. Remember Snow White, skin white of snow. That was the look of class and Royalty because they stayed out of the sun. I know a women that sunbathed and now looks like a prune, a very wrinkled prune and she is SORRY she sunbathed in her 20's.

So you want to age and damage your skin KEEP SUNBATHING.

No it's not good for the skin
    Angie

just left tanning booth

I do that every three wks in winter..i like it.

I have to disagree with those of you who say the sun is bad for the skin. Moderation is the key. Too much of anything is harmful. Even drinking too much water can kill you.

The sun, whether you get enough to bring out tan or not, is important for the proper metabolic functions of the body. The ultraviolet triggers healthy responses.

Again, moderation. Don't let yourself burn.

I saw a study someplace where people who tan do in fact have a higher rate of skin cancer. I think it was something like 20% greater. However, these same people had something like 80% less cases of other types of cancer! Don't focus on just the cons of an argument. The pros are also something to consider.
    Last edited by Felicity; 02-07-2007 at 04:08 PM.

my apt complex has a tanning bed , folks use it & alot of young gals too , but I have my resevations about fake & bakes !!!!!!!!
    " too young to fall in love " schoolgirl "

I can't tan I am a natural Red Head I have freckles, but other that that my skin is either white or red.

I wish i could tan

Quote Originally Posted by Felicity View Post
    Ever hear of an avid surfer getting skin cancer?
    OK know you have my claws out

That statement just reeks of ignorance. You must not surf because all surfers espcially the older ones know how dangerous exposure to the sun is.

I have seen surfer friends die from this horrible cancer which is very deadly.

I have had two malignant melanomas removed. One on my shoulder & one on my nose. Yes I lived at the beach for 25 years and surfed 3-4x a week. Never wore sunscreen for the first 10 years. You know that bronze surfer look with the red peeling nose & shoulders. Thought it looked cool.

Every avid surfer I know of who cares about themselves goes to the dermatologist 2x a year for a mold check. I did and that is what saved my life.

Yes the sun is good for us we would all die without it but surfers get huge doses of UV and make us high risk candidates.

This taken from http://www.nssia.org/Safety_Rules.html

Which is the National Surf Schools & Instructors Association (NSSIA)

SUN PROTECTION
    Of all of the various skin cancers, melanoma is known to be the most deadly if not caught in its earliest phases. Approximately 53,000 will be diagnosed with melanoma and 7,800 will die this year from melanoma. Melanoma = 5% of all skin caners / 71% of all skin cancer deaths.

[SIZE="4"]Skin cancer kills more surfers than drownings and is the #1 cause of death in surfers.[/SIZE] The Skin Cancer Foundation recommends SPFs of at least 15, which block 93 percent of UVB rays. While SPFs higher than 30 block only 4 percent more UVB, they may be advisable for sun-sensitive individuals, skin cancer patients, and people at high risk of developing skin cancer. They also allow some margin for error if too little sunscreen is applied.

Rash guards with a high SPF rating also helps protects against cancer. They also help protect against rash caused by an allergic reaction to the use of certain types of surfboard wax, minimizes sliding around on surfboard from body oils, sunscreen or sunblock and for girls it helps keep their tops together.

What are other peoples thoughts who are outdoors Surfers, mountain bikers, runners, gardeners etc..

I encourage your comments:

Hugz,

Surfer Girl

Miss Petra
    [SIZE="3"]Lovin everthing CD[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Hey, Dont bother me I'm dressing.[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]I Feel like an actress in her greates role ever "LIFE"[/SIZE]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Karren Hutton View Post
    I'd rather be white and not risk the skin cancer thing...

Karren
    Karren you live underground you never see the sun. You'll get black lung.

Tanning salon for 10 minutes a week makes me think of summer.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

tanning

I am lucky enough to live in S. Calif and also have my own pool. I try to get tan whenever possible, but also use some tanning creams to fill in when the weather is not right. I am older and have some sun damage that shows in my face, but make-up deals with that. This is beacuse I have spent my entire professional life in the sun. Having a tan makes me feel better and as far as i'm concerned look better. Especially on my legs, which are my best asset.

If you live in a cold region, where tans are not the norm, then do it slowly. A little at a time and other will not notice, but comment on how great you look.