Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is shopping so hard

Platinum Member
    lol you did good .... and i am proud of you i relay am trust me this was a huge step for you and your going to get better at it.... trust me ... soon you will be shopping without a care in the world .... i remember my first few times lol.....truly proud of you....

So doe sthat mean that you won't be loaning me any shoes.
    my sister's reply when I told her how I prefer to dress

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

Platinum Member
    Raychel i have some open toe 4 inch heels that would be killer with that size 10's ..... girlfriend one day we are going to have to get together and i will teach you the shopping game and you will have a ton of fun......

Congrats Raychel on such a big step!!!!! Now dontcha feel better??

-Nicole

I've gotten to the point where it doesn't bother me anymore. I figure if I can go get tampons at 2 A.M. by myself then no worries LOL. Most people if they even glance at you at all just kinda decide your prolly buying for your G/F or Wife. Worst I have had happen was looking thru Goodwill store once and the Asst came over to see if I needed help picking something out for my SO. So I just chatted with her and said "she said she was a size 14 " and we looked thru all the clothes with her dispensing fashion advice which I found very enlightening!
    Love, Natalie.

Some thoughts on this....

1. Further away from home I am, the easier it is to shop. Have done three Lane Bryants out of state, using the dressing room at each,no problems. Biggest fear--some woman's husband, waiting on his wife, watching me emerge from the dressing room and, even though I am back in male attire, it would be embarassing. So far, hasn't happened. And if it should, so what, I tell myself. A stranger I don't know and will never see again.

2. I was thinking the other day at work how much more socially acceptable it would be for my colleagues to find out I had done one of the following (only examples, I haven't, except for b)
    a. Cheated on taxes.
    b. Driven drunk (not in over 30 years since college).
    c. Smoked grass (never have)
    d. cheated on my wife-NEVER-but a few guys at work have.

Most would accept any or all of the above more readily than my dressing up in women's clothes as I am now at the end of a very long week, even though my wearing these pretty femmy things ISN'T illegal. Is this a screwed up world or what????
    In the end, once all is said and done, and we have exhausted the analysis, this is all about having fun and girlls just want to have fun!!!!!!!!

Yes Joanie, I think about the irony of our lifestyle a lot too. Regular macho men do stuff like cheat on their wives and dont give a hoot about it but they'd go to the extent to getting violent with one of us.

Its a messed up world.

I also keep thinking about how it was sacrilege for women to wear trousers etc 50 years ago. Maybe men in dresses will be the norm 50 years hence.

Sigh !

Sonal

Not your typical girl Lissa Stevens's Avatar
    It's hard because you are like me. You get all worked up over nothing, afraid of what others will thinks instead of saying to hell with them. My money is as good as anyone's.
    [SIZE="2"]Melissa[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]I'm still standin'
    Better than I ever did
    Lookin' like a true survivor
    Feeling like a little kid
    [/SIZE]

The only way I have the courage to by ladies dresses/underwear is when I'm shopping for my wife on valentines day(loves it!)or xmas.Even then you will only find me shopping at private boutiques it's just easier.When I want to buy regular everyday underwear for my wife at xmas i take my daughter with me and say things like "will mom like this?" even though I'm picking out the ones I would like to wear! One year she snuck away and left me standing their picking out pairs of panties by myself,she was hidiing behind one of the racks killing herself laughing. To be able to stand alone in that section and pick out dresses and lingerie by myself is as of now just a dream.

Hugs
    Brenda
    "leave your panty drawer unlocked around me and your dancing with the devil"

Quote Originally Posted by sonalnarula View Post
    Yes Joanie, I think about the irony of our lifestyle a lot too. Regular macho men do stuff like cheat on their wives and dont give a hoot about it but they'd go to the extent to getting violent with one of us.

Its a messed up world.

I also keep thinking about how it was sacrilege for women to wear trousers etc 50 years ago. Maybe men in dresses will be the norm 50 years hence.

Sigh !

Sonal
    Sonal,

How right you are! Especially with the trousers--trying to view the world fairly, its amazing to go to the Mall and see all the women crossdressers with blue jeans which, as you so rightly point out, were strictly the domain of us males 50 years ago. Times may change though.

Joanie
    In the end, once all is said and done, and we have exhausted the analysis, this is all about having fun and girlls just want to have fun!!!!!!!!

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones - when I was small, I would go with my father when he bought gifts such as stockings for my mother.

When I got a little older, my father would give me the money beforehand and we would go to the store and he would guide me in picking out stockings for Mom and paying for them myself - I remember they were seamed support stockings and they were $1 a pair (this was the 1950s).

When I got a little older and could go to stores by myself, a few times around Christmas and Mom's birthday, she gave me the exact brand (Corn Silk) and color of her favorite face powder and I would go by myself to the drug store to buy it as a gift for her.

As an adult, I bought lingerie and outer clothes by myself for my wife for almost 25 years before "the urge" returned after 33 years.

Often, my loving, supporting wife shops with me and gives input on my choices, especially at thrift stores.

Jadeanne

i know how ya fell i can't go i and buy things by my self i always have to have my so with me expecialy when buying panties, and i always have her pay for it at the counter. sometimes if ia m dareing enough and i realy don't care i will try somethign on in the dressing room

Ditto

I've had this feeling too. Much easier to buy for another than for myself.For some reason it just has a different vibe. Guilt of some type I guess.

Banned Read only
    "Good for you girl! See, just like buying condoms.
    If it doesn't fit, don't be shy about returning it."

never thought about returning condoms before

"ah mam, these were just too small"

Quote Originally Posted by Amanda Jane View Post
    "Good for you girl! See, just like buying condoms.
    If it doesn't fit, don't be shy about returning it."

never thought about returning condoms before

"ah mam, these were just too small"
    It would be more difficult to return them with the comment "ah mam, these were just too bigl"

Jan
    Last edited by maybeJan; 01-13-2007 at 06:57 AM. Reason: typo......

Content and Happy
    When you buy cloths for yourself a couple of times, It'll start getting a little easier. When you're buying for yourself, just don't look around like you're going to steal something. That's when everyone will be watching. By the way, after a while you might start to enjoy the attention.

Lanore

Quote Originally Posted by Joanie View Post
    Some thoughts on this....

1. Further away from home I am, the easier it is to shop. Have done three Lane Bryants out of state, using the dressing room at each,no problems. Biggest fear--some woman's husband, waiting on his wife, watching me emerge from the dressing room and, even though I am back in male attire, it would be embarassing. So far, hasn't happened. And if it should, so what, I tell myself. A stranger I don't know and will never see again.

2. I was thinking the other day at work how much more socially acceptable it would be for my colleagues to find out I had done one of the following (only examples, I haven't, except for b)
    a. Cheated on taxes.
    b. Driven drunk (not in over 30 years since college).
    c. Smoked grass (never have)
    d. cheated on my wife-NEVER-but a few guys at work have.

Most would accept any or all of the above more readily than my dressing up in women's clothes as I am now at the end of a very long week, even though my wearing these pretty femmy things ISN'T illegal. Is this a screwed up world or what????

Joanie, You are so right on all accounts here. If I had been shopping somewhere that no-one would know me, I am sure that it would have been different. But the store that I was at was in the same town that I have a business in. And I only live 8 miles from work. So there is a huge chance that I will run into someone that I know in that store. Actually the first time I did see another business owner in there.

And you are right, I pay my taxes, don't cheat on my wife, no drugs, no drinking and driving. no other serious crimes. Just being a guy (that likes to play dressup sometimes), That seems to be totally taboo is some peoples minds, worse that anything in the world.

I guess that is what make us think that is so wrong to walk into a store and PAY for an item that we like. I guess when you say it that way, it does sound kinda silly to have a problem buying anything in a store.

"Everyone has there thing, all that matters is that you are happy, love what you do and who you do it with"

When shopping for femme things in drab, it requires not only "balls", but a keen sense of humor. When reading these posts, it reminded me of something that happened a while back. Remember, I'm retired US Army.

I attended a military funeral in uniform to stand taps for a fallen warrior from the Iraq war. So, I was in class A uniform. I knew I was going to be near one of the malls where I shop, and my bills were due for a couple of credit cards. I figured I'd stop into New York & Co and the Limited and pay the bills. When going into the mall, I went in the Bon-Ton entrance and past the section of purses. I had been looking for a purple purse at the time. When walking past the bags, I noted a purple purse that was perfect. I figured--"What the hey". I picked up the purse and went to the checkout. There was a line. While I stood there holding the purple purse, an older guy behind me said to me with a grin, "Hey colonel, I don't think that bag will go with the uniform". I just gave him a big grin and said, " when you are a colonel, you can wear anything". We got a good laugh out of it. I checked out and went on my way.

The point is--have a set of balls and a sense of humor and just shop.

Jodi

You already have the answer. If you are shopping for your wife it is no big deal right? When it is for you, you get nervous and freak out. Just take the internal nervousness and redirect it. If you can buy it for your wife, you can buy it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jodi View Post

I just gave him a big grin and said, " when you are a colonel, you can wear anything". We got a good laugh out of it. I checked out and went on my way.
    That reminded me.. years ago (I retired in 1990) I was at the Navy Exchange, in uniform, actually buying pantihose for my then wife. When one of my sailors walked by and commented, I replied much the same, though I said "As a Senior Chief..."
    Bobbie in Vancouver

What? its not shopping that is so hard.... ITS STOPPING SHOPPING that is so hard

No Heel is Too High.... When it's Pointed at the Ceiling

Quote Originally Posted by Sally2005 View Post
    I know what you mean. It helps if you can feel like you have a reason for being there. Today I went to three value villages to find a winter jacket for her and him. At first I was nervous looking at the woman's jackets so I started with the mens, I didn't find a mens one, but I soon thought to myself, what the hell, why not look for a jacket for her while I'm here. They just don't know who her is.

Anyways, I found a really really nice women's swade jacket...but with no price. Ended up walking around with the darn thing trying to find someone to price it. Ended up going through several sales people and in the end I got it for $15. The guy doing the price said, "is it a woman's or male jacket? The girl who first served me said, "male" and I corrected her to say it was a womens. No odd comments or looks from them and felt no need to explain, I just would have said something funny like "for $15 it better fit her". The more I do it the easier it is.
    Sally,

We have the sister store to Value Village here in california called Savers. Aren't they great!

peggy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Peggy

I think it that little voice in the back of your head
    Saying it's wrong or someone might see me
    The the more you go shopping the easier it (most times)
    And if that doesn't work there is always plan B
    More beer
    I just don't have fun -- I make the fun

Life's too short........Enjoy every day

Originally Posted by Trinni You already have the answer. If you are shopping for your wife it is no big deal right? When it is for you, you get nervous and freak out. Just take the internal nervousness and redirect it. If you can buy it for your wife, you can buy it for you.
    You are so right. But the little voices in my head that Barb talks about are totally silent when buying for my wife. I guess it just takes more practice.

Originally Posted by Barb43210More beer
    You always make me laugh, Maybe more beer before shopping. Then it won't matter what those voices are saying, they will be too drunk to understand.

Platinum Member
    excuse me ..... when are we going shopping ??? i could help you .... i have done the shopping thingy once or twice.......