Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: on passing

pass "this" :p

I know I'm not fooling anyone in the real world...so I've changed my definition of passing to looking fairly convincing in photos without using photoshop. In my last round and in my avitar, I've not used photoshop at all and I'm pretty happy with the results. That's probably as good as it's gonna get and I'm ok with that.

I wish the looks didn't matter as much to me, but I'm vain as a guy too, so it doesn't suprise me.
    "In a Patriarchal world, crossdressing is akin to treason...it's the ultimate punk rock expression."
    - Ru Paul

Content and Happy
    Being me, no matter where I go or what I do and not having to change in to someone I'm not.

Lanore

Wow - talk about well spoken!

Erica,

If I were capable of expressing myself half as eloquently as you, I think I would have a career in speaking or writing. Well said!
    Kim

Quote Originally Posted by EricaCD View Post
    One of the nice things about questions coming up repeatedly is that I get to cannibalize earlier posts So for those of you who were reading my posts back in November (or who read my blog), feel free to skip this...

What does it mean to "pass" and why do we care?

I suppose most CDs consider "passing" to mean generally being mistaken for a genetic female. If that's the case, then most of us - present company emphatically included - do not "pass". A very few CDs with small bodies, feminine shaping, androgynous features, slight voices and the good sense not to screw it all up with inappropriate makeup or attire just might "pass" in this sense. I don't find this an especially satisfying definition of passing, as it relies too much on a limited set of genetic flukes and little else. Moreover, as it represents a flatly unattainable condition for me, it would be useless as any sort of goal...

Many of us (present company included) are able to pass occasionally or in limited circumstances. Some of us seek out opportunities to improve the "batting average" - hence the popularity of evening activities! Nothing wrong with any of that - I have very much enjoyed the few instances where I appear not to have been clocked. Still and all, an occasional success probably does not constitute "passing": such a definition would be overinclusive and leave out only a few whose physique, facial features or other general characteristics utterly rule out the possibility of ever being mistaken as female.

With sincerest thanks for the insights of a number of people here, I have come to a different notion of passing. I view "passing" as meaning "communicating clearly to the world your presented (as opposed to genetic) gender, and enabling--not forcing--the world to willingly interact with you as such".

One can reasonably argue that I have just dumbed down the definition of passing; one with a sharper tongue could say I have done do specifically to allow myself to claim a measure of passability. Both are fair criticisms. At the same time, the definition I propose is reasonably limited: it excludes the "guy in a dress" as well as even an attractive CD who does not comport herself in an even slightly feminine manner. This definition also has the virtue of being aspirational: the better we are at presenting our chosen gender - whether by demeanor, dress, physique, voice, mannerisns, etc. - the more likely it is that people will receive us and willingly, even happily, interact with us as females.

Passing: using presentation, mannerism and character as a means to give the world around us the perceptional cues and tags so as to relate to us as females. With that as an opening volley, I open the floor to debate. Those of you who think that folly of this magnitude merits a private intellectual diatribe can feel free to pm me.

Best,
    Erica

I don't try to pass instead I try to blend in. No short skirts no 5" heels. I try look and act like all the GGs out there so if you see me you look pass me because I don't stand out. If that's passing then I pass.
    GLENDA
    I FEEL LIKE A WOMAN

well passing to me being able to go any were and not be pointed out . and the freedom to be me. acceptance for who i am
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned Read only
    Shirley did it on a drag strip, a raceway, under control, with safety

"I hit the new lane and pushed the Jag up to 120. That's passing. Gotta love a V8"

ignoring that a bunch of kids are dying halfway around the world for your oil so you can do some stupid macho posturing deal, i did a quick check on Lexus, and found that 120 mph in Jersey can be considered "reckless disregard for human life" and as such is a felony, but dear, i'm sure you will be the sweetheart of cell block C / meet bruno

for the rest of us, who have girlfriends, wives, ex-wives and ex-girlfriends, who have moms, dads and most of all kids on these roads, is this OK? (120 mph = 193 kph for our sisters in the rest of the world)
    Last edited by Amanda Jane; 01-15-2007 at 11:18 PM.

Raksha's My Dreamboat Tracy_Victoria's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by erinwoodrose View Post
    Yeah.. I agree.

To blend in.. in general;
    and even though being read on a one on one... to be treated in the same manner that I look and feel.
    Yep

I have to agree with that also, Ie blending in, going un-noticed, people just reacting to me, as they would do, if I really was a woman.
    Cya

Tracy

[SIZE="2"]The nail that stands out the most, is the one that is hammered down the hardest![/SIZE]

football joke

It means the running game isn't working.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. Some people will get it.

I haven't really tried to pass yet, so I can't say. All I know is I would do it for myself first, not to present myself to the world. It's more to see a visual expression of my female inner self.
    "I dwell in possibility."

"Say what you want and be who you are, because those who matter don't mind, and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
    George Bernard Shaw

I always do it for myself Kerrianna, and don't worry much about anything else.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Nothing I don't
    Angie

Silver Member
    It means absolutly nothing to Me----if I blend in fine but I would much rather be the center of attention---nothing is more exciting then to strut,dressed head to toe in silk, satin leather, whatever with full face make up and teased big hair, and I do mean strut, into a TG friendly bar and have two dozen or more heads turn to look at you, usually with desire in their eyes(and other places) There is no more pleasurable feeling of Power than that.
    [SIZE="4"][/SIZE]

Aspiring Member
    from a gg's point of view its a statement a way of life embrace it gurls, u only live once