Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: long hair

Aspiring Member

long hair

How many here have long hair naturally? It's something I've always wanted to try since gradeschool. My wife gave me the ok. She said as long as you never wear a skirt and don't complain about the hypocricy of society, go for it. How does growing your hair out go over on the job? I wear a shirt and tie everyday even when not required, so I think I may be able to pull it off, though they do seem to have a sexist dress code. Though one guy has long hair slicked back and goes just an inch above the bottom of his neck. When growing hair out, how do you manage the inbetween stages?

I have long hair... just make sure you get a decent hairdresser, and tell them you want a femme style or you'll end up with a long male cut. As for the work thing, I don't know. I own my company so 'anything goes' as far as I'm concerned.
    Der Transsexuellaußenseiter

The lovers have flown...

[SIZE="3"]VENI VIDI VICI[/SIZE]

I am doing just that

Noname:

I just hatched a plan with my haircutter to let my hair grow into a bob. It is getting there but I am at the worst stage right now. It is really messy sometimes so I try slicking it all around combing it back. I have to go in every 6- to 8 weeks and he layers it a little bit and evens out the growth.

They asked it me several times about my long hair. I told them my wife wants it that way. It turns her on. I prepared them for the worst so they will settle for anything in between. I told them I would have a ponytail one day. That was my goal. So far so good.

The worst part is I sometimes forget to slick it back. The other day I took a shower in the middle of the day and went out with my child. Some women were looking at me strangely. When I got back home I realized how femme my hair was starting to look when I do not slick it back. It does look really nice though!

Michelia

Uh, the in between stages look like the Beatles White Album.

I've always (well until recently ) grown my hair long - my dad hated it - it wasn't until it got girly long that it was easier to manage and looked better (well, better in that hippies got called girl then). That in between stage is pretty hard to do anything with. You just look shaggy. It's harder for guys to get away with it.

But then you can tie it back, leave it down, braid it whatever. Grow it now while you can. You won't always be able to do it. Slick it back for awhile if you have to - just do it. There's nothing better than your own long hair.
    "I dwell in possibility."

"Say what you want and be who you are, because those who matter don't mind, and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
    George Bernard Shaw

Long hair. I'm bald, so my only desire would be to have my own hair to grow and style as I like and to be able to complain (like real girls) that I can't do a thing with it.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Living and Enjoying Life Kristen Kelly's Avatar
    [SIZE="3"]Grow it out while you can, I'm letting mine grow out now, lucky for me I still have a full head of hair. I have only been seen out once with my real hair and have gotten comments on my new "wig", telling them it's my own hair supprised most, going to wait till its a little longer before that will be the way I'm seen out all the time. [/SIZE]
    Last edited by Kristen Kelly; 01-26-2007 at 11:13 PM.
    [SIZE="3"]Life Begins When You Stop Worrying What Other People Think[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]
    Walk TALL SMILE and be CONFIDENT all will be OK
    [/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]It's Brave to be Different, Be Brave Too, Accept Me for Who I am ![/SIZE]

Long Hair

I wear my hair at sholder length now and the only comment I have had at work was "kind of retro" I tell them it keeps my neck warm, I live in Canada.

It feels great to just brush it out, it's all most a good a feeling as a bra, the gg,s have been keeping it a secert all this time.

Hugs

JudyK

My hair is currently down to my bra line in the back and I have no urge to cut it in the near future.

I have long hair, and have for over ten years now. It suits my face and has become part of my personality. I always said I would cut it off when I go bold, then I found out I might not go bold (The gene follows the female line apparantly).

I have always been fine with my hair, and employers may question my 'hippy' intentions, but as soon as they see my general work ethic, I do very well at work and it no longer becomes an issue.

Saying that, I have never held any public or high visabilty positions that would require a certain dress and style.
    Zara

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." Albert Einstein

Haven't cut my hair since 2000. I keep it in a p-tail at work, and since I wear colonial clothing 3 days, no problem. Actually no problem at all. I do alot of things at work and deal with the unwashed daily, and no comments on the hair, or my filigreed hopp earrings.
    The growing out stage is rough. It looks shaggy no matter what, but hair grows about 1/2 inch a month, so that helps. When mine was coming in, as soon as I could, I got it into a 'tail.
    Love and xxxx, Lily
    Comfortable in my own skin.

"Never underestimate the power of human stupidity, and never cease to be amazed by it!" Lazarus Long

Nahhhh.. Too much troule!! Had long hair in college.... I perfer wigs since I can change my look and style at will!! Girl has to have options!! hehe

Love Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Josephine56

long hair

There's a site called Mens' long hair hyperboard, www.mlhh.org which deals with this subject and you may find interesting.
    I'm 64, quite baldish, and what's there is white, so it's wigs for me for ever.
    Both my sons in their twenties went through a hair down to the navel stage, long since past.
    In retrospect I'd love to have done it, but time is of the essence, so go for it !

Before the military as a teenager in the 70's it was long hair, after the military in the 80's long hair was back. In the early 90's I became a firefighter so there went the long hair. In eight years as long as the hair remains as full as it is long will be back in for me.

Gia

mine at one time was down to my rear but that was getting to be to much trouble so like above its about bra line

Let your freak flag fly!

My Secret Girl Power resides in my long hair.

I've mostly had long hair since my early teens. My hairline is receding, but I still have quite a bit of hair. I haven't cut it for 15 years, and it's now longer than it's ever been: just below my ribcage. I usually tie it back so it's not untidy. It's long enough so I don't need to use a band: I just tie it in a knot. The hairdresser across the road from my apartment calls me The Man With a Bun.

Robin
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Diagonally parked in a parallel universe

My hair is 2/3 down my back.
    It hasn't seen scissors since about 2002 if not earlier.
    It's always tied back in a pony tail. Occasionally my wife will plait it. This makes it go all wavy for the next few days

Yes it's a pain at times, taking ages to dry etc, but generally it's great.
    If I want short hair I can cut it.... But growing hair takes years.
    I chopped mine off years back and hated it. Vowed that it would be a long time before I did anything so stupid again.

Work isn't a problem. Lots of other men have long hair where I work.
    The only problems I have are the plug hole in the shower and clogging up the vaccum clearner's relvolving brush

LL

I grew my hair shoulder lenghth and then cut it off short at least 3 times between 1970 and 1977.I wanted to wear my hair sort of like George Harrison or Brian Jones when I was 7 or 8 years old in the mid-sixties.Dad and Mom said "NO" repeatedly because they thought that this would result in the kind of undue attention that would get me beaten up by lunatics or maybe even kicked out of school.So I opted for one of those "white sidewalls" haircuts. When I was a little older,like 13 or 14 I was much bolder about arguing for myself and whether or not my hair would be long if I so chose.When I was 19 and 20 years old I had shoulder lenghth hair and I'd have a festive time styling it femme when everybody was gone from the house for a couple of hours.I had a blowdryer,hairspray,etc..I'd style my hair then I'd sometimes go out that way giving no explanation or reasons to anyone as to why I looked like that.It must've been in 1977 or 1978 that the so-called "punkrock" or"newwave"haircuts started to come around and I opted for one of those and started to look into wigs for wearing longer styles.But I don't assume that longhair has "died Out".I think that there are many things in our culture that a lot of our pundits want us to think "Well,that was the sixties.....now moving right along".I have lots of nephews that are 18-19 years old and they all have longhair unless their bosses won't allow it on the job.

I started growing my hair long during my senior year in HS, but after 6 months or so I was pressured by friends, family, and coworkers to cut it. I folded and eventually I did cut my hair, I really wanted my hair to look like Lucy Lawless's on BattleStar Galactica, but unfortuneately I have brown hair and it was nearly as beautiful.

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristen Kelly View Post
    [SIZE="3"]Grow it out will you can, I'm letting mine grow out now, lucky for me I still have a full head of hair. [/SIZE]
    That's what I'm thinking. I'm in my early 30's full hair, only a couple gray hairs that you really can't notice since I have light hair.

The in "between stages" can be a pain in the a*** but if you want it long then you have to put up with it. Make sure you get a decent hairdresser as she/he will be able to suggest how to cope with the "inbetweenies"
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

I have long curly hair. Took all kinda of crap from other people in the "in between" stage. It pretty much just comes down to not hanging out with people who can't deal with your personal preferences, or somehow turning their snide comments back onto them. Honestly I can't understand the need for some people to voice their insulting opinions when they were not requested to do so.

Oh, also, everytime I have been pulled over since then, except once, my car has been searched. That is another drawback of long hair.

I have long hair, and absolutely love it. As others have said, the "in between" stage until you can tie it back is hell! When I grew it out in college, I wore a bandanna to keep it out of the way...of course I also drove a VW bus back then too! I had to cut it for a corporate dress code but grew it back out as soon as I could as my feminine side began to bloom. Now I have a tolerant boss, and love my look with natural hair. I'm 45, and it's getting thin in back, but with careful styling it looks fine...much better than a wig. Best of luck, and don't go insane while it grows out!

Sorry not much help here
    I have very little hair
    Never mind long
    I just don't have fun -- I make the fun

Life's too short........Enjoy every day

All my long hair comes in a box.

I always had long hair, (down the middle of back) but recently I had health problems, (all over now) and I cut it shoulder length to make it easier to care for. Now I guess I'll let it grow out again...