Thread: (California) form DL-44

(California) form DL-44

Crack of dawn, two long bus rides, a town I've never set foot in ... but, there I am, at the Redwood City DMV as they open the door at 8am.

I ask for DL-44, supposedly a preliminary step to receiving DL-238 (name & gender change). (I'm referred to as "ma'am" by several clerks, so far so good, I think.)

Wait, though. Sure enough, the clerk informs me ("ma'am" he calls me) I'm supposed to go the Social Security office first.

No, I say - I talked to the DMV main branch supervisor on the phone and I was assured this was my first step. I present him with a slip of paper containing the main branch contact.

Suddenly, it's "Here's the form to fill out." Cool.

I then (timidly) inquire "Do I write my old name and gender here or my new name and gender?"

"Just write the name and gender you want," he says.

I nearly faint.

Over to the next desk. Thumbprint. Signature. Verify spelling of name and address. Photo.

"That'll be $22, miss. Your ID card should arrive by mail within two weeks."

Again, I nearly faint.

Calliope,

I wish my state was as tolerant as California is. You are one lucky girl.

Helen in OK

Just a woman, period joanlynn28's Avatar
    Calliope, hopefully the form you asked for is DL328 that is the one you need to change your name and sex on your driver's license, this form was made specifically for us transgender folks. DL44 is the form that someone uses to change just their name on the driver's license examples would be change of name due to marraige, divorce, adoption, etc. DL328 has to be signed by your endocriniologist, they have to check the two areas stating that a) the patients presents as stated gender and b) the patients demeanor is stated gender. And than the supporting question is patient is a)post operative or b)in transition. And that is all there is to it. BTW my doctor had no problem filling out the form for me, he did not even ask me any specific questions regarding it. He preatty much checked my over and told me lets get you started on HRT.
    Joan Lynn

Just a girl stranded on her little red island amongst a lovely sea of blue.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, for those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    Dr. Seuss

Oh, I arrived to get form 44 because the main DMV branch told me it was the preliminary step on the way to 328 (then, yes, doctor's letter) but, you see, right there on the spot my ID was processed as Calliope, as F.

Who knows, maybe I'll end up hung up and have to got through all the steps I figured I had to go through.

Or maybe not.
    Last edited by Calliope; 01-25-2007 at 04:30 PM.

Short Skirts & Long Legs

Like to have another ID

I wish WV would let us get an ID we associate ourselves with...in my case Marcie...

Just a woman, period joanlynn28's Avatar
    Caliope, initially the DMV rejected my application after I already had my new license issued to me, seems that I had forgoten to sign on line and did not fill out another line completely. You may have slipped through the cracks but the DMV goes back and does verify that the forms and license where done correctly, only time will tell.
    Joan Lynn

Just a girl stranded on her little red island amongst a lovely sea of blue.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, for those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by joanlynn28 View Post
    You may have slipped through the cracks but the DMV goes back and does verify that the forms and license where done correctly, only time will tell.
    Just received my California ID card in the mail today.

Calliope [last name].

F.

Decent photo, too.

So ... time just told [giggle].