Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How best to tell wife?

How best to tell wife?

Once again you all have given amazingly thoughtful and worthwhile answers to my question. Here's the next step: HOW to tell her. More details:
    1. I've been dressing maybe 3 years, we've been married 8.
    2. I've gone out to clubs dressed (all out of town), maybe 4 times. but never have been unfaithful.
    3. She's open minded about most things -- but I have no idea what her reaction would be. Once I asked to wear her panties during sex, and she was ok with that.
    4. We have two young children.

How would you approach this? Or how DID you approach it in your life?

Aspiring Member
    Well for me, my wife found out about me when she found some photos on our computer of me dressed in a skirt and heels. She was the most upset that I hid it from her and didn't tell her.

That's really interesting though that she let you wear panties during sex once. So, she might already have some thoughts that you like to crossdress?

I was lucky, I guess

My guy didn't go full femme until after he told me. He actually told me because he knew his activity level (purchases, etc) would be increasing and I'd find out soon enough. I am grateful he thought about my feelings enough to spit it out - which was hard for him.

He took me out to dinner and told me. Now I already knew that he dressed in lingerie sometimes, he had told me that a year or so before, and between these two discussions, he had mentioned he thought it would be a "rush" to go out in public dressed as a woman. (Which I avoided that discussion like the plague)

So I got my 16 month period of denial and looking the other way before hit with the full thing. I don't know if that made it any easier or not as we've had some really bad periods and issues to resolve now that it's all out in the open. But we're getting through them and we're good.

IMO, since she knows of your attraction to fem under garments, start there & build on that. But tell all - maybe not every little detail, but that you have fully dressed and gone out in public - and plan to continue. Let her ask the questions from there as she will ask as much as she can absorb at that time. The rest can come out later as she thinks of questions. It will take time.

One word answers are no good - "I don't know" is OK if followed by "but I think....." or "I'm trying to understand that myself".

Be prepared for questions about things that you believe have nothing to do w/ CDing (her questioning your love for her, etc). Be patient - try not to get defensive - and reassure her as often needed. I know I was much more willing to listen to what he had to say when he was being sympathetic and calm. It diffused the anger that appeared occassionally.

And as the gurls have said in other posts, your CDing will change. Some things better, some things not so good. Spouse involvement changes your femme experience in countless ways. Be prepared for initial boundaries and compromises to accomodate her comfort level, understanding that that level will continually change.

Good luck to you.
    Last edited by Tree GG; 01-24-2007 at 10:46 AM. Reason: add

Short Skirts & Long Legs

Dressing first

While I believe in truthfullness, I suggest you broach the subject of dressing first, then once you both are comfortable with each other again, perhaps you could mention in an off handed way about clubbing or how you'd like to go clubbing...

Platinum Member
    you know i wished that day one i told my wife ... now we are still not 100% together on this and as much as it sucks ... it's my fault for not telling her in the beginning.....

Leslie.I would go slow.Try to test the water a little bit at a time.You can alway's go ahead but you can't go back.Once you come out to her and she is fine with it great but if she can't deal with it then you have to ride that pony down.I guess i'm trying to say how far do you want to go with Cding and at what cost to your family life are you willing to possibly pay. Some have to go all the way and some can find a balance.You have to decide where you fit Justabit

well

well Leslie amy you could start by wearing some mens running tights and see how she reacts to that than slowly really slowly test the waters

Don't know if I've ever seen a "Good Way" to tell your wife you like to wear womens clothes!!

Heard of lots of bad ways for sure...... Like getting caught, sending her an email or letter.....and my favorite - dressing up and popping out from behind the door....Surprise!!!

You know your wife better than anyone, whether she is accepting enough to let you continue or will explode and go 180 degrees the wrong way... The ods are NOT in your favor.... Sooo I wish you good luck...

Love Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Girl in disguise Emily Ann Brown's Avatar
    The best way in my opinion (having been caught last year) would be an untracable phone call from halfway around the the globe informing her that the photos laying on top of the winning lottery ticket on the coffee table are of you in a dress.

Emily Ann

Quote Originally Posted by Emily Ann Brown View Post
    The best way in my opinion (having been caught last year) would be an untracable phone call from halfway around the the globe informing her that the photos laying on top of the winning lottery ticket on the coffee table are of you in a dress.

Emily Ann
    We both should have thought of that plan before we fessed up!!!

Love Karren
    Current Obsession - Breasts and Lingerie!

.......My Photos

Leslie,

You know her best, so here are a few suggestions:

Be honest with her and yourself. Two questions to expect are: 1) Are your gay? and 2) Do you want to be a girl? Prepare for these in advance.
    If you don't know the answer, then say so, but do offer what you do know.

You said she seems open, so do this in a calm quiet environment without the children where you can talk openly. Present this in a way of discovery and moving forward as opposed to revealing hidden secrets. You are learning about yourself, so this is growth.

This site has a GG Forum which may help her answer questions and share with others in her position.

There are some good books available on Amazon.com for more depth on this subject.

I hope your relationship is strengthened by your honesty with her.

Best wishes,

Colleen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Feeling pretty on the inside.

A lot of us have gone through this and you must be honest and up front. I told my SO on the third date. Although she accepted me at that time, she didn't want to see it at all. Over the years she let me go farther and farther, until now when she lets me dress any way I want. It has taken many years to get to this point, but I have taken it slowly... One step at a time.
    I've not really been out the door yet, but we do shop together now.
    By all means respect her wishes. She DOES expect to have a MAN by her side you know. She may accept it right away, but probably not.
    Take it slowly and work at her speed. After all you don't want to lose her.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"are you gay?" "do you want to be a woman?" - yes that's what my exwife asked me. Repeatedly.
    I had just started again (after crossdressing as a teen) and had bought my first item (sandals with 4" heels) when my fiancee found the shoes and asked me whose they were. Whew, I was NOT prepared to deal with that! I told her they were mine and we had a long talk. She had to decide whether to continue with the marriage - this was a big deal for her and the wedding was only a month away.
    I wasn't entirely honest with her. I told her the dressing was a fetish thing when I really wanted to be more femme: the former was more acceptable for her. It was a brief marriage (the break-up had very little to do with the dressing) and it was my only relationship with a woman who was thoroughly uncomfortable with the whole thing.
    And I wish I'd been more honest all along, both with her and myself.
    Last edited by Rachel Signy; 01-24-2007 at 01:42 PM. Reason: clarify
    I'm bigendered - butch/femme!

In most cases I have read and in my own case I have found that the dressing is not so much the initial problem but its the feeling of deceit and dishonesty that wives feel more.

Take it slow, very slow. Let her know you are interested in dressing in Female clothing. See what she says. You have to go by her actions. It sounds like you have already taken the first step. See if she'll let you do it again this time see if she'll let you try on a Bra. I would not recomment making love to her that way it is way to early for that and she may never do that anyway. Just say, Hey I know what we can do why don't you dress me up like a girl. Let her know you don't want to do it around the kids, and see what she says. This is very touchy. She may jump in and she may be hesitant. She may just think about it a couple of days or weeks then all of a sudden pull stuff out for you to put on. Make it enjoyable for her. If she sees that it can be fun then her might do it more. There is always the posibilty that she will never want anything to do with it. But I would say talk to her, take it slow. Find out about how she feels. Don't just jump out of the closet someday wearing a complete outfit.
    Ladies have a GREAT time!
    Smile GOD LOVES you!!!
    GOD BLESS US ALL!!!
    AMY Hepker

ROSES ARE RED
    VIOLETS ARE BLUE
    I'LL BE ME
    AND YOU BE YOU

There ain't NO best way love.!!...each case is different...and only YOU know your personal situation..and your wife...Just be sure that you are prepared to accept whatever comes out of it...good and/or bad.!!!..I've been there and..eventually ..it worked out just fine.....Good luck.!
    Nikki. x

how to tell wife, girlfreind, so

this will give you eight months to think about it. suggest that you go out on halloween together. go to a party, dance, bar, or even hold your own party.
    try to go to bed dressed afterwards. making love while dressed as a women is incredibly satisfying and fulfilling. if this works out, then you might be able to breach the subject again. good luck

Hello, have you ever thought about broaching the subject when there is a television program with Male drag artist in it, someone like Paul O'Grady..just say something like you wouldnt catch me dressed, and see her reaction, at least then youd have her feelings about the subject, then if seems positive would be the time to say maybe I'd try it. On the other hand if she was set against...keep stum

Banned Read only

Find out how she feels about it

Then at the right moment drop a hint in a casual conversation. Say you read "this" in the internet and it made you think or say "what is this business about guys Cd anyway." Or why would a women stay with a CD man? etc. her reaction will tell you if it is safe to tell her.

I am sure she will either say "Oh that is sick' or say "well I feel men need to express their female side. " This way you will know before telling her and possibly ending your marriage.

Its all out to my wife now but I plan to take years to let her know what I like....move slow and cautiously...test the ice and see what happens...baby steps.

Bethany
    Wedding Dresses...Perals...and Heels...Oh My!

Look, can you go without? If not, then respect the lady you married, and TELL her! The sooner you talk about it with her, the sooner you two can begin to live with it. Do not demonstrate or show her, just talk to her honestly and forthrightly about it before there is anymore water under the bridge. Let her set the pace of mutual discovery on this. If you have to dress when she is not ready to see it, arrange for times to do it when she is away, but with her full knowledge. No misunderstandings, respect, honesty, and fair play will bring her to acceptance if she is capable. If she cannot accept it, would you rather find out later, after more years, resentment, depression, and stress? Do her the favor of honesty, it is after all, what you owe the one you love.
    Good luck whatever you decide;
    Bethany

ideally its best out in the open before marriage and children but in your situation there is much more to lose so take it a step at a time with maybe small questions or hints. maybe start with the underwear as she was ok with that and then depending on reactions progress. if you have a very close relationship where you can talk about anything then maybe a special night out and tell her then x
    OFF TO GET MY NIGHTDRESS ON

Don't wait to long

Tree gives sound advice, mine would be don't wait to long. Mine found out. Things are going well, but it was not the best method......

Good luck!

SandyR
    Real Men can Cook in Heels...

Here's a couple of threads you find interesting.

http://crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40978

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=17345

Someone aught to make these thread links a sticky, as this question does get asked a lot.
    DonnaT

I have tried most of these

I have yet to make any headway. she asked me the questions are you gay do you want to be a woman, I didnt marry a woman ect ect... always followed by "If I catch you or even think you are doing that sick s*&^ again I will divorce you" I have heard that one alot.. I think I secretly wish she would then I can be me again.. I told her I don't want to be a woman I am not gay or Bi but want to dress and appear fem. so there is the honest approch now I just hide it like a good closet CD and will do so untill I have my fill then I am outta here

I deserve more and I'm gonna have it (if she says its ok)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You're moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You've just crossed over into... the Girly Zone.
    [url]http://www.facebook.com/Staci Grace