Thread: Who needs a gender therapist when you've got this site?

Banned Read only

Who needs a gender therapist when you've got this site?

Well I see a psychologist to get prescriptions for antiparanoia pills, but when I was on probation my probation officer made me see a gender therapist who dealt with gays. All I got from my 8 sessions with him is that it's ok to be gay, gay sex is ok, etc. What good is telling him stuff?

Well, isn't this forum site better than a gender therapist? It's like group therapy here when we talk about all subjects concerning crossdressing. I post lots of threads on topics I wonder about and certainly enjoy the feedback.

Do you others go to a gender therapist? What do you get it of those visits? I don't think they're worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse69 View Post
    Well, isn't this forum site better than a gender therapist? It's like group therapy here when we talk about all subjects concerning crossdressing. I post lots of threads on topics I wonder about and certainly enjoy the feedback.
    Never been to a therapist so I couldn't tell you if this site is better or not, Although one on one with a good qualified therapist should be beneficial.

I do agree this site is good therapy. Love the diversity here.

i don't think we have any problems it's the rest of the world that needs help!!!

susie

No!!! A Gender Their A Pissed is just a pervert that likes to hear about others life, and fantisize that it's their life...BJ

well i get a lot from my gender therapist, can any of you sign my consent letter ? , well apart from that this site is by far better as we can talk out our issues. and i am not the only one here , and i am not mad you all do this too i am not alone , and i get to make some wonderful friends who help me and inspire me ..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Well I see a psychologist to get prescriptions for antiparanoia pills, but when I was on probation my probation officer made me see a gender therapist who dealt with gays. All I got from my 8 sessions with him is that it's ok to be gay, gay sex is ok, etc. What good is telling him stuff?

Do you others go to a gender therapist? What do you get it of those visits? I don't think they're worth it!
    Here's my take on them Jesse...and I have been to four of them so far in my lifetime, FWIW. Is there ANYBODY out there who can tell you MORE about how you feel that it is to be who you are...than you yourself? And we actually PAY them to tell us that.

I've never been to a therapist so I have a very limited knowledge as to what they can accomplish but I have been on this site for almost a year. The postings here are supportive and let others know that they are not the only male wearing panties and a bra. If one is not accepting of his own crossdressing or feels that he is alone in this activity this site can provide great help. A therapist may be able to do more but that probably is not needed by most of us.
    It takes a real man to wear a dress.

It depends. What's your goal? If you're going to transition than yes, you're gonna have to see a gender therapist (sic). Benjamin standard of care sort of sets that in stone. But not everybody follows it and there's shortcuts. I see one but we're on a kind of hiatus for a bit as I'm concentrating on my new job at this point of time and not transitioning.

I think that depends on the person in question some find talking to a therapist to be a great help to them some just don't and probably come out more confused than when they went in. Here you are talking to people who are in the same boat so to speak, it's the "been there done that" they know how you feel are feeling and know some of the answers that can make it easier
    Sandra
    Administrator

I always used to rib you about your legs can't anymore. R.I.P Sexy Legs

R.I.P Rianna

No I'm to far gone
    Angie

Content and Happy
    Everyone is different, as you can see. That's what makes this place so wonderfull. Someone seeing a Gender Therapist is not a waste of their time if that's what they want. We all get something out of everything we do. That's what makes life so exciting and it's how we grow to know and accept ourselves. Besides, you don't know if you will like to wear panty hose until you put a pair on. And only when you do, will you make that decision.

Lanore

If you don't need one and being here is all the support you need, that's great. I agree with Caitlin - I think it depends on what your goal is. Personally, I'm transitioning from F to M, so I do see a gender therapist. I'm also part of a trans-masculine support group in my city, and I'm here all the time. All three of those are equally helpful to me.

My gender therapist helped me figure out whether I wanted to transition or not (although he didn't steer me in any particular direction, or away from it) and now he's helping me deal with the day-to-day things that come up as I transition. I'd be lost without him.
    But why is the rum gone?! - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl[/SIZE]

Why is the rum always gone? - Capt. Jack Sparrow [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest[/SIZE]

Why is all but the rum gone? No, the rum's gone too . . .
    - [SIZE="1"]Pirates of the Caribbean: At World End[/SIZE]

[SIZE="3"]Lex on the Beach[/SIZE]. . . [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For me, because I am transitioning, a gender therapist is absolutely necessary. Without one, you cannot even obtain hormones, much less even contemplate surgery. Besides that, however, my therapist has been invaluable in helping me face other related matters, such as my assorted fears and conflicts with family and colleagues.

I LOOK like a guy... Casey Morgan's Avatar
    I'm not transitioning (I'm not even TS) but my therapist has been very helpful. He helps me see things I can't, he asks me questions I sometimes don't think to ask myself, he focuses on the steps I've taken when I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels.

I'm part of a transgender support group. Right now private therapy, group therapy, and online forums are three different pieces of my support system that each deal with different aspects. So to answer your question Jesse, I need a gender therapist even though I've got this site.
    Androgynes: the quantum bits of the gender binary.

Aspiring Member
    The advantage of gender therapist (assuming it's a good one!!), compared to the forums, is that I can spend an hour with him/her in real-time conversation (an hour of face-to-face conversation can impart much more information than an hour of hanging out on the forums), and the hour is all time spent on me and not anyone else.

When I caught, for the first time, i was age 14, My mom sent me to a shrink.
    the shink was very cool. She had me dress up for a session. and took me shopping, very different, for a 14 year old boy. Unfornationtly, my mom, at that time was not on board, so the therpy ended.
    As with everything in life, It dependes on who you converse with! (IE, This forum)
    Tiffany

I would love to see a gender therapist. Problem is I don't know of any in my area. Does anyone know of any gender counselors in the Baltimore metro area? I'd even be willing to travel to Philadelphia or up into Delaware as I live on the northeast side of Maryland.:be: Thanks. (sorry for the hi-jack)
    If clothes make the man, I must not be one.

If men are from Mars and women are from Venus, I am definitely from Earth. Somewhere in the middle.

Originally posted by Inna
    If you find your self in pain, yet not able to stop the pursuit, rest assured, you are on the right path
    You may call me Dana B

I've never talked to my "shrink" about my dressing, (he's leaving to get a $50,000 raise with the state), so that will have to wait. I have talked about many other things that I've had problems with, and if there were sites to deal with all the problems that people have, I don't believe that there would be any space for anything else.
    I'm not sure about my new therapist yet. I do understand that it's a woman that will be taking over this county's "head man's" position though.
    It's going to be interesting though.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]