Thread: King Of The Hill meets Queen of the drag

Is it just me or......... Carroll's Avatar

King Of The Hill meets Queen of the drag

Did anybody watch King of the hill tonight?
    Drumming, My other hobby

As the twig is bent... Leslie Foxx's Avatar
    I am watching it as I write this. My sides are splitting from laughter. Those of you in later time zones should tune in. It's on Fox Network. OMG!!!
    [SIZE="3"]Leslie[/SIZE]

"In these shoes?"

Is it just me or......... Carroll's Avatar
    I believe, as a rarity , we (the transgendered)were treated with respect in a tv show, abeit a catoon. Thought it was great
    Drumming, My other hobby

lol yes it was funny, i don't think it did much for the cause. but a good laugh
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by MJ View Post
    lol yes it was funny, i don't think it did much for the cause. but a good laugh
    I disagree. I think it painted transpeople in a very positive light. I especially got a kick out of Caroline's overly-supportive mother. Also, I think that one of the writers much be trans, or at least very familiar with the "scene", just based on the terminology that was used...more than a few things sounded like me and some of my trans and gay friends talking.

Two thumbs up for King of the Hill. I think I may write a letter complimenting them on such a good episode.
    "There came a time when the risk to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom. "

- Anais Nin

yes I seen it it was very funnie

I saw it. One of the first things I noticed was that the store in the show, "Clarissa's Closet", bore a striking resemblance to a store here in Southern Cal. called "Countessa's Closet". I doubt that it was coincidence considering that the store is in Studio City, only a couple of miles from Hollywood.

I also noticed that Caroline mentioned that some of her friends would not go shopping in public but would rather buy their clothes online. Do you think any of the writers did their research by visiting this forum?
    Shannon

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon CD View Post
    I also noticed that Caroline mentioned that some of her friends would not go shopping in public but would rather buy their clothes online. Do you think any of the writers did their research by visiting this forum?
    I especially got a good laugh out of this part being timid to shop for myself. I think the episode reflected a great deal of research into the whole CD picture.

Action crossdresser Marlena Dahlstrom's Avatar
    My review: nicely done.

What I liked was the whole nonchalence about drag queens (and the fact Carolyn appeared to be cross-living to some degree).

BTW, I agree "Clarissa's Closet" was clearly inspired by "Contessa's Closet" (a lot of "Hollywood" production is actually done out in the Valley in the same neighborhood as the store). I too noticed the reference to people buying online and the name of the club, "All the Queen's Men," is the name of an Eddie Izzard movie that featured crossdressing as a key plot element. Whether or not the writers visited this forum, they certainly appeared to be familiar with the CD/TG/TS communities, even for plot reasons, Carolyn needed to be drag queen (albeit one who looked more like June Cleaver than RuPaul).

<AVAST SPOILERS AHEAD>

Among other reasons Peggy is feeling unfeminine is no one wants her clothes when she takes part in a clothing swap with her friends -- and her huge feet can't fit any of the cute shoes for grabs.

As mentioned, Carolyn meets Peggy at the large-size shoe store (which turns out to cater to drag queens -- although Peggy is unaware of this, since its the first time she's been to that particular store).

The two bond and Carolyn eventually invites Peggy to join her for a number at the show.

The "big reveal when Carolyn comes home -- and her mother, who appears to be making her costumes, compliments her on her new wig.

Later on, Carolyn realizes that Peggy isn't a drag queen and tells her mother she's got a big problem on her hands.

Carolyn: "Mom, she's a real woman."

Mom: "You mean a biological woman. Just because you were born a male doesn't make you any less of a woman. Let no one clip your wings baby."

Carolyn: "Could you stop being supportive for one second and listen? I've got a problem I can't let a real women perform with me. It's a drag show."

Mother: "Do what you need to do, as long there is no shame involved, do you hear me? You're a person!"

Carolyn: (roll eyes) "Oh mother."

Carolyn, posing as her "male friend" Jamie, tries to avert Peggy from showing up at the club, but she's too late. Peggy, who's invited Hank and her friends realizes that it's a drag club -- and that Carolyn must have mistook her for a drag queen -- is humiliated.

Hank tracks down Jamie to see if he can get Carolyn to sort out whatever problems they have. Jamie assures Hank that it can happen and Hank comments the Jamie sure seems to know a lot about women.

Carolyn shows up at Peggy's home and insists Peggy gather up all her old clothes and go with her immediately. They go to the club, where the drag queens are having a clothing exchange -- and the queens go ga-ga over Peggy's outfits.

Peggy: "So this why you brought me here? To show me that a bunch of men want my clothes?"

Carolyn: "A bunch of men who want to look like women want your clothes."

Carolyn points out that drag queens model themselves after strong, substantial fearless women. "Girl, you are fierce. Deal with it."

The show ends with a now-happy Peggy accepting a pair of platform sneakers from one of the other queens.
    Last edited by Marlena Dahlstrom; 01-29-2007 at 02:45 AM.
    Lena

A dream? What is a dream, but a blueprint for courageous action.

http://www.adahlshouse.com

Best episode ever. I loved every minute of it.

Sadly, it was preceded by an episode of The Simpsons where a cross-dressing Lenny was beaten, electrocuted, and shot.
    Hail Satin!

I normally don't like King of the Hill, but last night's episode was pretty good - I LOLed. And Regina is right, the Simpsons had Lenny declare himself a transvestite, and was killed by Bartman....
    DanaJ

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I love King of the Hill! Thought they did a lot better job and treated "us" much more respectfully and positively than "All My Children".

saw the show thought it was very funny

There's also this one-- not sure what I think about it. Hmmm... not funny.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=r5QfByu1Z2k

I'm still looking for one you're talking about.

EDIT: Ah! The episode you mean is called "The Peggy Horror Picture Show" and I haven't found a clip yet.
    Last edited by susandrea; 01-29-2007 at 03:27 PM.
    ....we are all made of stardust

Quote Originally Posted by DanaJ View Post
    I normally don't like King of the Hill, but last night's episode was pretty good - I LOLed. And Regina is right, the Simpsons had Lenny declare himself a transvestite, and was killed by Bartman....
    Well that sucks

I missed that episode , I was watching 'DOG" the bounty hunter, re-runs , I did see a king of the hill one where Hank was in a dress, and another one where Bobby was appling make-up and was wearing a wig......, I dont watch king of the hill that often.......
    " too young to fall in love " schoolgirl "

Gold Member
    Just a great night to watch TV and to be a Drag Queen

I didn't see it. I'm surprised anybody did, I'm surprised anyone thinks that show if funny. Compared to Simpsons and South Park, King of the Hill is a steaming pile of you-know-what. Can I get an Amen from the choir?!

I'd rather watch a show with real actors. Cartoons are for kids. I wonder how many actors still have to do odd jobs because of prime-time cartoons?
    The subjects may be adult humor, but the kids watch too, don't they?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I was just about to write about that.

Just in Case here's a clip- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2R4cd_gn5ZI

Hi Everyone,
    I announced the plot of the show last Friday in The Lounge here: http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...ad.php?t=50488 You can read the good review the TV critic gave in the New York Post.
    "It is better to be looked over than to be overlooked." Mae West

http://360.yahoo.com/ritaknight1999

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ritaknight1999/

Smile king meets queen

Saw the show,loved the show.I believe this is probably the best exposure this issue has had in prime time.
    Remember(shudder) Klinger on mash?

Aspiring Member
    Unfortunately, I missed it. I did see though, however, a syndicated episode of CSI called "Ch-Ch-Changes." It dealt with transgenders who have resorted to going to a non-licensed doctor for a sex change as well as the relationships that some t-girls had.

It's interesting that with this King of the Hill episode, this re-run of a CSI episode, the Transamerica movie and the future episode of TLC's "My Unique Family" (That Woman is my Husband)......that these issues are more and more being inserted into our daily lives. Pretty cool, huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon CD View Post
    I saw it. One of the first things I noticed was that the store in the show, "Clarissa's Closet", bore a striking resemblance to a store here in Southern Cal. called "Countessa's Closet". I doubt that it was coincidence considering that the store is in Studio City, only a couple of miles from Hollywood.

You know this might be a fairly high profile forum - it's certainly busy enough. So it wouldn't surprise me if we're being absorbed. It also wouldn't surprise me if one of our members isn't writing for some of these shows. Come on...who is it? I know it's not me or I'd be living in a nicer house.

We finally got around to watching this - and The Simpsons. I wish the Simpsons would quit trying to show how cutting edge they are by crossing into Family Guy territory. It doesn't work for them - that scene Regina and Dana refer to ruined that epsiode for me and it was pretty good until then. I'm glad KOTH, which at least tries for some moral heart, was afterwards to take that ugly taste out. I liked the way they made the drag queens (their language) real, kind people. I esp liked the Carolyn/Jamie character and her supportive mom (lol) and the way it was made to be ok. I thought they slipped into a bit of stereotype at times. I really liked the fact that Peggy was faced with examining her own expression of self as a GG. She's a great original character.
    "I dwell in possibility."

"Say what you want and be who you are, because those who matter don't mind, and those who matter don't mind."--Dr. Seuss

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
    George Bernard Shaw